Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has the football program improved with Jeff Long?

Started by swine pone, November 05, 2017, 06:52:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swine pone

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

3kgthog

To have improved you can't be in last place in your division, so no.

Vantage 8 dude

I can't believe this question would even be asked :o Very self-evident week after week. But here's one encouraging sign: "We're close after a week of great practices".

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Sed76

Pepsi, Worf Hog, Smile and 5 years of Bielema miscues. What the heck do you think?

swine pone

Lady Razorback

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 05, 2017, 07:03:07 pm
To have improved you can't be in last place in your division, so no.

This response implies that the only facet of Long's job is the football program.  The reality is it isn't.  His job responsibilities include in large part the financial aspects of the athletic department, ensuring that all sports are run cleanly and successfully.  It requires an understanding of the global view for the department.  To judge his performance on one aspect ignores the other large parts of his job.  I was a partner in a large personal services firm, and I was responsible for various administrative functions including personnel, quality control and business development.  This was in addition to my client responsibility.  My success in my job would not be defined by one hire in one area of our firm. 
It is a far too simplistic discussion. I understand your frustration, however, but there are better areas to direct your efforts and direct change within our program. 

elviscat

Another JL plant to smooth everything over. JL, has done a damn thing to advance the UofA sports programs other than brick and mortal.

jjdlc

To be fair we've had our only back to back 10 win seasons under Long too.  Improved facilities, higher profits, etc, however, right now, things are headed south in a jury.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 06, 2017, 08:21:05 am
This response implies that the only facet of Long's job is the football program.  The reality is it isn't.  His job responsibilities include in large part the financial aspects of the athletic department, ensuring that all sports are run cleanly and successfully.  It requires an understanding of the global view for the department.  To judge his performance on one aspect ignores the other large parts of his job.  I was a partner in a large personal services firm, and I was responsible for various administrative functions including personnel, quality control and business development.  This was in addition to my client responsibility.  My success in my job would not be defined by one hire in one area of our firm. 
It is a far too simplistic discussion. I understand your frustration, however, but there are better areas to direct your efforts and direct change within our program. 

And of all of the sports, mens and womens, that fall under Jeffy's control, which one is by far the largest, generates by far the greatest revenue, and in fact pays the bills for all of the other sports combined, with the exception of mens basketball and baseball which essentially break even?

Don't you think it would be prudent on Jeffy to make sure that this sport especially be on sound footing and not in self-destruct mode?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hawgon

Quote from: hogz11 on November 06, 2017, 10:00:04 am
Here's the problem with Jeff Long.

He's the opposite type of AD Broyles was. He does not meddle with how the football coach runs the team, what kind of offense/defense schemes are run, assistant hires, etc. He hires the head coach and expects them to do their job without him looking over their shoulder.

Petrino was the perfect kind of head coach to fit that. Petrino runs every aspect of his football program and strived for perfection. He also demanded perfection out of his staff and players.

Bert on the other hand is the opposite. He's lazy and does not have the same drive as a Petrino, Saban, Meyer, etc. Bert needs weekly direction and it's clear Alvarez provided that and continues to provide that to Wisconsin coaches. Without that direction, you have what we have this season.

Long should've known that IMO.

And Long hated Petrino because he was a jackass in the hallways.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 10:00:56 am

Plus he hurt someone's feelings at the Cotton Bowl.

Grunt

Quote from: swine pone on November 05, 2017, 06:52:48 pm
If so, how? If not, why?
You're kidding of course. He Dumb Assed away the best coach we ever had, then made a terrible hire. He doesn't care about winning so doesn't understand the football culture of Arkansas. Carpet Bagger.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Marshfieldhog

Of course not, we are much worse but the Soccer program is better.  :puke:

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 06, 2017, 08:21:05 am
Actually, that response answers the question at hand. Your response diverts from it.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jjdlc on November 06, 2017, 09:50:42 am
To be fair we've had our only back to back 10 win seasons under Long too.  Improved facilities, higher profits, etc, however, right now, things are headed south in a jury.

Weird, huh?

GuvHog

Quote from: swine pone on November 06, 2017, 08:12:54 am
So is Jeff Long the root of the problem?

Yes, Jeff Long is the root of the problem.

The football program was actually becoming successful until Long stupidly fired the main reason for the program's success.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 10:00:56 am

Long hated Petrino because:

(A) Petrino was more popular than Long was and some were giving Petrino's success the credit for the increase in revenue instead of Long.

(B) Petrino, the man he didn't want and was forced to hire, was having success.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Rustyhog

Nope, Soccer has tho... Yea, that'll pay the bills.

He doesn't care about ANYTHING that was here before him. He doesn't get or care for ANY of our history and traditions.

EXCEPT for a few traditions he can sell for a buck. Like the A WALK? REALLY?

I bet if he could, he would SELL Senior walk. Which, come to think about it, he probably will at some point. IMG will be involved. I can see it now:

"The Class of 1997 is brought to you by Visit New Jersey. The OFFICIAL vacation spot of the Arkansas Razorbacks"

Did you know he's trying to keep TUSK from being in the stadium during games? Says there isn't enough room. JEFF YOU ASS, MAKE FREAKING ROOM!

Jeff Must Go! :-X

Lady Razorback

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 06, 2017, 09:52:43 am

And of all of the sports, mens and womens, that fall under Jeffy's control, which one is by far the largest, generates by far the greatest revenue, and in fact pays the bills for all of the other sports combined, with the exception of mens basketball and baseball which essentially break even?

Don't you think it would be prudent on Jeffy to make sure that this sport especially be on sound footing and not in self-destruct mode?

I agree that football is the primary source of revenue.  Just like in any operation though, there are many pieces that go into the puzzle.   I wholeheartedly believe we need a new football coach.  I'm just saying you can't make an assessment on Long's performance based solely on CBB's employment today.  Stadium expansion and other athletic facilities have seen improvement and that is as important to continued attendance and recruiting for the football program.  I understand frustration with the athletic program, and specifically the football program.  I'm with you on that. 

sickboy

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 06, 2017, 09:52:43 am

Sure. But his job security should not be tethered to the football coach's success or failure. The danger in that is two fold. One, you're sending the message to any future AD that his job secruity is partially out of his control. Two, to every other coach who might want to coach one of our other sports now or in the future... know that your sport is not important and that your Athletic Director will not prioritize your needs.

Firing your AD for your football team losing is a sure fire way to wreck the balance and profitability of your entire athletic department. Maybe not immediately after the firing, but it'll catch up to you.

phadedhawg

Jeff Long's recruiting has been okay, not great but in line with previous classes.  I think Jeff showed a lot of guts to turn it around in Oxford last week but at home against Coastal he looked like he was in over his head. 

I do agree with his decision to go with Kelley though.

smb

With the game this week being so close its hard to tell. And the stands so full on homecoming weekend. Let me think!
GeorgiaHOG