Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bleed fail!

Started by theFlyingHog, September 05, 2016, 05:13:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I was riding shotgun on the King Air last weekend headed down to the gulf. Climbing through 15k out of LIT and got the right bleed fail light. We're like, ok, we just maybe won't go on up to 27. Nope, we lost the cabin and had to go down to 10. Hey, at least we weren't up at 30 or so, we were surprised to lose the cabin like that

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 05, 2016, 05:13:50 pm
I was riding shotgun on the King Air last weekend headed down to the gulf. Climbing through 15k out of LIT and got the right bleed fail light. We're like, ok, we just maybe won't go on up to 27. Nope, we lost the cabin and had to go down to 10. Hey, at least we weren't up at 30 or so, we were surprised to lose the cabin like that

Out of curiosity, do you carry supplemental O2?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 05, 2016, 05:13:50 pm

That's not fun at all.  Bleed failures can be real bad depending on the type.  Normally that means the hot air being tapped off the compressor is still going somewhere, and that's what it gets dangerous.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

theFlyingHog

Quote from: The Chief on September 05, 2016, 07:22:01 pm
Out of curiosity, do you carry supplemental O2?
The plane is equipped with it. We have masks

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on September 05, 2016, 07:36:33 pm

That's not fun at all.  Bleed failures can be real bad depending on the type.  Normally that means the hot air being tapped off the compressor is still going somewhere, and that's what it gets dangerous.
Yeah I've since read about things that hot air can do. Quick ref checklist said shut er off and watch the engine; we expected a little more guidance than that, I've been trying to learn more about it(I'm not a real King air pilot, I just help out and keep SA up)

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 05, 2016, 11:30:09 pm
Yeah I've since read about things that hot air can do. Quick ref checklist said shut er off and watch the engine; we expected a little more guidance than that, I've been trying to learn more about it(I'm not a real King air pilot, I just help out and keep SA up)

I haven't flown a King so I'm not familiar with its bleed air systems.  But the planes that I've flown that use bleed air for anti-ice/de-ice in the wings normally have warnings that you need to isolate the system to it doesn't blow hot air out of the manifold on to the fuel tanks in the wings.  Another dangerous place is where it enters the cabin.  I've flown aircraft that default to an emergency setting and if the leak is near the cabin it can be dumping 600 degree air directly in to the cabin.

In our new aircraft all of the bleed air functions are automated to immediately isolate leaks to prevent major problems.  But in the older models of the C-130 they used to say 3 things could kill you immediately; Fire, Props, and Bleed Air.  In the J-model the props and bleed air have been taken care of by modern systems automation that isolates things faster than we could identify it.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."