10 (52.6%)
I will not boycott
9 (47.4%)
I am undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: June 05, 2016, 09:12:47 pm

HawgWild

Interesting to see Target promoted in this article on 19-high-yield-dividend-stocks-that-pass-a-five-point-investing-screen

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/19-high-yield-dividend-stocks-that-pass-a-five-point-investing-screen-2017-03-30?siteid=YAHOOB

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on March 30, 2017, 12:44:10 pm
Interesting to see Target promoted in this article on 19-high-yield-dividend-stocks-that-pass-a-five-point-investing-screen

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/19-high-yield-dividend-stocks-that-pass-a-five-point-investing-screen-2017-03-30?siteid=YAHOOB
Not saying some of the financials aren't intriguing. However, there remains a very glaring issue with this company, along with many other retailers. How do you effectively combat/resist the online sellers, especially Amazon? It appears, at least from a fairly early standpoint, the Wal*Mart (yes, big old clunky Wal*Mart) may finally be getting it right in their on line offerings such as groceries. While it's still early in the game, it will be most certainly be interesting to see how both they and others continue to progress (or not) in this area.

Sometimes, however, a stock/sector is cheap for a very solid fundamental reason. Just because its "cheap" doesn't necessarily make it a good long term investment. Whether or not TGT fits the latter obviously remains to be seen. I suspect that even IF they're actually able to get things figured out, there will still be adequate time to buy, even if you don't catch the absolute bottom. One other thing to always keep in mind, and this concerns any stock: "Beware of trying to catch a falling knife".

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 04, 2017, 02:32:53 pm
One other thing that I believe helps both BURL and ROST is they tend to go for smaller stores than the average TGT or TJX. And while some would argue that a smaller store or "footprint" doesn't allow for as large a selection when it comes to merchandise, that hasn't seemed to negatively impacted their sales per square foot. In fact, they've consistently been some of the best in the industry year after year. One other HUGE factor that help both Burlington and Ross Store: very efficient inventory control; both stores have been extremely nimble in being able to respond to the almost constant vagaries of fashion. This is especially true when it comes to the almost insane world of women's tastes which seem to often change ten times in twelve minutes.  ;)
While ROST has been a very good story, over the past couple of days the stock has broken below the most recent major support level of $63.70. This "line in the sand" means the stock has a HUGE amount of base building to accomplish before it's likely to begin another major upside move. Anyone looking to eventually buy the shares need to be aware that this stock could possibly move down into the upper 50s where it was about a year ago. Remember too that the stock needs to stabilize and likely move sideways for a while to encourage future investors to venture in.

Interestingly enough the other very good stock mentioned-BURL-has shown impressive strength. This is especially relevant considering a good many of the retailers have been bludgeoned pretty badly of late. It's obvious that AMZN continues to chew up many of the "bricks and mortar" merchants.

BigBrandonAllenFan

April 06, 2017, 09:49:33 pm #53 Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:07:15 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: HawgWild on March 30, 2017, 12:44:10 pm
Interesting to see Target "promoted" in this article on 19-high-yield-dividend-stocks-that-pass-a-five-point-investing-screen

I think the key word there is "promoted".  Target stock has dropped another 4% just since you posted this March 30th article.

Take a look at the graph below and we can see that Target's stock price has taken another big plunge in the last month and is down to $53.57 per share.  How big is that is the large picture?  The last time Target was priced that low was in September of 2010.

https://www.google.com/#safe=strict&q=target+stock+price

Now back to page 1 in the thread when it was discussed, "time will tell", as to what the real effect will be on Target in relation to their their twisted sister bathroom policy. 

Well, time is pretty much telling now.  When Target made their controversial decision to mix their business with Obama's hard left politics almost exactly one year ago, Target stock was trading at $82.50 per share.  Now, one year later, the current price is $53.57 per share.  It is plainly clear and safe to say, as evidenced by the 40% drop in Target's share price in one year, the Target decision ranks as one of the stupidist business moves of the new millennium.  Probably the stupidist.

Has Target fired that idiot CEO yet?

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 12:43:24 am
How many of these would you say had a bathroom problem?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/07/these-10-retailers-are-closing-stores-in-2017.aspx
Sad truth of the matter is, as the article points out, whether one supports or opposes the mess created by Target last year, so many of the mainstream retailers are going to struggle. In fact, I'm afraid a lot of the "bricks and mortar" stores are eventually going the way of the dodo bird. Look, when someone can shop from the comfort of their home, or anywhere else thanks to smart phones, many (especially the younger generation) are going to opt to do so. The force that services such as Amazon has unleashed is irreversible. Yes, there will be some of the main line merchants that will join the online wave with success and survive. However, they better be doing it NOW and in a big way.

Two areas I DO think still has a long runway of success ahead of it is the home improvement area such as Home Depot and Lowes. While there will be some buying through the online medium, most folks won't buy tools, especially large ones, gardening supplies, concrete, etc. and most certainly shrubbery/trees, etc. and have it shipped. Most consumers would prefer to actually see and touch these items, particularly the latter.

The second sector are the auto parts supply/repair folks such as AutoZone. Again, there are some sites out there that offer free delivery, etc., however, a good number of the "do-it-yourself" folks want to see and feel the part(s) and typically don't want to necessarily wait for delivery.

Vantage 8 dude

Interesting piece I read earlier today that Target has been having a lot of internal dissension with a number of employees extremely unhappy with how they're treated. Some have likened the atmosphere as being "slave labor". In addition, back in 2015 they settled with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for $2.8 million in conjunction with alleged age discrimination. They've further been accused of other discriminatory hiring practices in conjunction with race.

Another observation is that many customers are unhappy with the more limited selection of merchandise, especially in there area of grocery offerings. Even Wal*Mart has been more proactive in expanding their food/grocery selection. So the competition has obviously been aggressively competing against TGT.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Vantage 8 dude

May 17, 2017, 09:42:24 am #58 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:58:11 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: McKdaddy on May 17, 2017, 07:00:22 am
The wife continues to do her best to support TGT.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/target-reports-first-quarter-earnings.html
While the numbers obviously far exceeded what most had expected, it will be very interesting to observe over the next several quarters if they can keep up the strength in the numbers. They're obviously one of the few main line retailers that have actually beaten (often) lowered expectations. Sometimes the outlook gets so out of whack with reality that something has to give. In this case obviously the bears had beaten down the stock to a point where they erred on the side of too much pessimism. Personally I most certainly wouldn't "back up the truck" to load up on TGT.

One last observation/reminder: a very good thing to remember that old adage that states "one quarter a trend does not make".

McKdaddy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 17, 2017, 09:42:24 am
Personally I most certainly wouldn't "back up the truck" to load up on TGT.

I should for her multiple visits per week.

BigBrandonAllenFan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/targets-earnings-beat-wont-do-much-to-change-investor-opinion-analysts-say-2017-05-17

QuoteTarget's earnings beat won't do much to change investor opinion, analysts say

By Tonya Garcia
Published: May 17, 2017 4:20 p.m. ET

The shift to digital is making investors bearish about all bricks-and-mortar retailers
Bloomberg

Target said its digital sales were up 22% in the first quarter

Target Corp. reported better-than-expected first-quarter earnings on Wednesday, but Buckingham Research Group analysts are skeptical the retailer will succeed in changing negative investor sentiment.

Target TGT, +0.94% reported adjusted earnings per share of $1.21, beating the FactSet consensus of 91 cents. Sales, at $16.0 billion, were ahead of the FactSet forecast of $15.6 billion, though they were down from $16.2 billion last year. E-commerce sales climbed 22%.

Same-store sales were down 1.3%, which the company attributed to "small declines in both traffic and basket size."

Target Chief Executive Brian Cornell said the retailer did better than expected despite "a very choppy environment." But they're "not doing any high-fives" since the quarterly results aren't "what we expect to deliver over time."

For investors, the concern is the much-discussed secular shift that's happening in digital, according to Buckingham Research analysts.

"[T]he quarter is unlikely to sway the entrenched bearish view of most investors which hold that terrestrial retailers will continue to lose share to the online channel for the foreseeable future," analyst John Zolidis wrote in a Thursday note. "We believe Target shares can start to earn a better multiple if the company can follow up the first quarter with sequentially improving trends, especially in traffic, over the balance of the year."

Zolidis was encouraged by the stability of the business even if it's under pressure; the fact that Target maintained its fiscal 2017 guidance for a low-single-digit decline in same-store sales; and improved balance sheet metrics.

He believes the company has a "legitimate strategy" in place, which includes introducing more private label brands and convenience perks, like the same-day delivery that's being tested in a New York location. Target could pick up market share as other retailers close stores, he said, something Cornell discussed on a separate media call.

"We recognize over the next three years $45 billion to $60 billion in market share is up for grabs," Cornell said.

Buckingham Research rates Target shares buy with a $71 price target.

Target is in the midst of a $7-billion multi-year transition that will include store redesigns.

"We invested nearly $500 million of capital in the first quarter and we're on track to invest more than $2 billion this year," Cornell said on the Thursday morning call, according to a FactSet transcript.

Target is number one in swim, according to Cornell, and the retailer is also benefiting from store closures and brand exits from that category, like the one from L Brands Inc.'s LB, +0.23%   Victoria's Secret label.

"Our team worked quickly to launch our new brand Shade & Shore, which has delivered strong results since the launch," Cornell said.

Don't miss: Every time this happens, Amazon crushes another legacy retailer

Later this month, Target will launch Cloud Island, a line of nursery décor, bedding, bath and other products.

Cornell also said the limited-time Victoria Beckham collection that sold this past quarter was "one of the single biggest partnerships in our history."

Charlie O'Shea, Moody's lead retail analyst, called the results "mixed," but also found a number of positive points.

"Given the scope of this transition, year-over-year comparisons will be difficult, though we believe online sales growth and operating cash flow levels will be meaningful data points," O'Shea said. "At present, Target's strong balance sheet, excellent liquidity, and flexible financial policy regarding shareholder returns provide the company with sufficient credit support to execute its plan."

Target shares are down 23.2% for the year so far while the S&P 500 index SPX, -1.82%   is up 5.8% for the period.

To get a real clue of how bad it really is for Target shareholders, click on the link and look at the comparative chart.

McKdaddy

As long our nearest SuperTarget remains a milf observatory and a SBUX for me, I'll look at the glass half-full.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 17, 2017, 09:32:40 pm
As long our nearest SuperTarget remains a milf observatory and a SBUX for me, I'll look at the glass half-full.

I must admit, my wife recently has shopped at Target, a few times. I was even forced to go with her on one of those dreadful instances.  But if you think I'm going to tell her what to or not to do then you not very old.

McKdaddy

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 22, 2018, 06:02:02 am
Don't call it a comeback....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/target-earnings-q2-2018.html

I noticed CNBC conveniently left offthe fact Target was still sinking when they deciced to reverse their big boys can go in the little girl's bathroom policy.  They didnt reverse the policy because they wanted to.  They did it because they had to to survive. 

McKdaddy

I must admit to having missed when Target reversed the policy.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 04, 2018, 07:22:00 pm
I must admit to having missed when Target reversed the policy.
They spent a ton of money installing 3rd restrooms in their stores that were designated non-specific gender.

McKdaddy

They did not denounce the policy or reverse it, I now see. They simply added, as you said, a single stall restroom. Same policy, just trying to appease the critics.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna633801

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Vantage 8 dude

I realize that the subject of bathroom politics" is of great concern to many folks. Fine, everyone has his/her "hot button" when it comes to many social issues. However, in the end the markets are pretty much "agnostic" when it comes to making money. In other words, if the prospects of the company is truly bright then the average investor won't really care what the political/social stance of a company is. In the end of the day it's still about the "bottom line". On the other hand, if the company's management is NOT delivering the "goods" then typically the market will "vote with its feet" and exit the stock.

In the case of both Target and TJ Maxx the former seems to be at play. This appears especially true at TGT. Many analysts are predicting that company will be a major beneficiary of the Millennials and future emerging consumer age groups to give this company a huge chunk of their spending business. And this is true even in the likelihood that Amazon and other on-line retailers continue to gain market share. One thing folks have to realize is that Target has also been aggressively expanding their own internet offerings. Same to a lesser degree with TJX, Burlington, and others in this space.

So in the end, and I realize some will choose NOT to invest in a company with whom they disagree with some particular corporate policy, it matters little to the potential of a company's long term stock performance. When it comes to investment returns as all about truly "delivering the goods". Always has been, and I suspect it always will be.

Dr. Leonard Ford

Another example is Nike.  Everyone hates Colin Kaepernick but Nike stock is doing just fine.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dr. Leonard Ford on October 09, 2018, 01:06:14 pm
Another example is Nike.  Everyone hates Colin Kaepernick but Nike stock is doing just fine.
It will be interesting to observe whether or not the "Kaepernick effect" will be a lasting one though.

Boardon Hamsay

TGT and TJX are two fantastic names for the shift we are seeing into more value and/or defensive names. I'd also throw KSS in there and Dollar General and Dollar Tree. I'd like WMT more in the $80s.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on October 10, 2018, 06:36:37 pm
TGT and TJX are two fantastic names for the shift we are seeing into more value and/or defensive names. I'd also throw KSS in there and Dollar General and Dollar Tree. I'd like WMT more in the $80s.
You might want to take a gander at ROST as well. One thing this lower price retailer has for it that some others may not as well is lower exposure to Chinese-made merchandise and hence tariffs.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 10, 2018, 11:01:44 pm
You might want to take a gander at ROST as well. One thing this lower price retailer has for it that some others may not as well is lower exposure to Chinese-made merchandise and hence tariffs.

Absolutely! ROST is another fantastic option. Off price model and not levered to China.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

twistitup

I thought w this boycott....Target and TJ would be shutting their doors. lol
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on October 11, 2018, 06:04:01 am
Absolutely! ROST is another fantastic option. Off price model and not levered to China.
One other little item. With Sears likely on its very last legs, ROST should benefit more than many retailers as there's significant overlap in store presence between the two. Further shuttering of Sears stores should most certainly move more customers over to Ross.

Vantage 8 dude

If it came down to investing money into only one stock IMO it would be ROST. While TJX is a great option, the clean surplus on equity (true return on shareholder equity minus the one time "fluff" that is often built into the published accounting ROE) for ROST is expected to be around 21% for 2019, it's averaged around 21% for each of the past 3 and 5 years; this compares to a clean surplus ROE of approximately 18% projected for next year and 17.8% and 17.7% for TJX over the past 3 and 5 years, respectively. To put that in perspective the AVERAGE clear surplus ROE in the S and P 500 stands at 14%. All things being equal over TIME the higher the clean surplus ROE a company can attain typically the better the stock price's performance.

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2018, 09:28:17 am
One other little item. With Sears likely on its very last legs, ROST should benefit more than many retailers as there's significant overlap in store presence between the two. Further shuttering of Sears stores should most certainly move more customers over to Ross.

Their 12 customers might shop Ross, but I don't think it will have much of an impact

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 14, 2018, 02:08:24 pm
Their 12 customers might shop Ross, but I don't think it will have much of an impact
Your correct: in the end it won't make much of a difference. However, if you look at the observation(s) above it might make far more sense.

HawgWild

But, but, but........ What about the bathrooms?

Target Corp. is poised to "be one of the top performers for holiday 2018," Charlie O'Shea, Moody's lead retail analyst, said after the retailer reported same-store sales growth of 5.7% for the November and December period.

Target TGT, +1.93% said store pickup and the Drive Up service grew more than 60% year-over-year.

twistitup

Quote from: HawgWild on January 13, 2019, 04:10:54 pm
But, but, but........ What about the bathrooms?

Target Corp. is poised to "be one of the top performers for holiday 2018," Charlie O'Shea, Moody's lead retail analyst, said after the retailer reported same-store sales growth of 5.7% for the November and December period.

Target TGT, +1.93% said store pickup and the Drive Up service grew more than 60% year-over-year.

not surprising

McKdaddy

My Target is just as busy after the edict as before, with my wife making sure to do her part 4-5 days per week (sigh)

onebadrubi

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 13, 2019, 05:46:42 pm
My Target is just as busy after the edict as before, with my wife making sure to do her part 4-5 days per week (sigh)

Mine is trying to outdo yours. 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 13, 2019, 05:43:10 pm
Have you checked out the stock price from one year ago?

TJ Maxx is up $8/share from Jan 12, 2018.

ricepig

January 14, 2019, 07:21:08 pm #86 Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:31:21 pm by ricepig
Quote from: sevenof400 on January 14, 2019, 09:28:06 am
And Target?
Down about $7.

Doesn't exactly look like these two are performing all that well...

TJX is up 4.75% YTD, TGT is up 3.61% YTD.

TJX is up 51.24% over 5yr with a 1.66% dividend
TGT is up 14.28% over 5 yr with a 3.75% dividend

I don't own either, but they aren't terrible by any means. By comparison, WMT  is up 24.62% over 5yr with a 2.19% dividend.

McKdaddy

I support Target and its milf attraction.

Biggus Piggus

Transgender people caused Target's business model to be disrupted by online retail.
[CENSORED]!

twistitup

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 28, 2019, 12:52:37 pm
Transgender people caused Target's business model to be disrupted by online retail.

?