Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luke Jones and Notre Dame

Started by Tusks, December 18, 2017, 10:54:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 01:17:10 pm
I'm actually a fan of the Irish Program and I hope he does well.
Good for you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: Redhogs on December 27, 2017, 01:19:58 pm
With ya man. Talk about a program that feels entitled...not going to change here until and if we start to win, it's that simple. Thanks Bert, the damage done to this program is going to take some time to reverse, as much as i hate to say it.
you can blame bret for a lot of things but this is not one of them.  He was committed to us till we fired Bret, then he opened up his recruitment and took more visits.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Redhogs on December 27, 2017, 01:19:58 pm
With ya man. Talk about a program that feels entitled...not going to change here until and if we start to win, it's that simple. Thanks Bert, the damage done to this program is going to take some time to reverse, as much as i hate to say it.

Stupid thing is Bert sucked but he still had all the instate guys committed .. we bring in a nice young mind and they start dropping like flys..

jcharkansas

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 27, 2017, 01:22:05 pm
you can blame bret for a lot of things but this is not one of them.  He was committed to us till we fired Bret, then he opened up his recruitment and took more visits.
Maybe not for this one recruit but we can for the shape the program is in...

AirWarren

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 27, 2017, 01:05:54 pm
No screw notre damn this is not the early 90's .. people like you piss me off .. why are you even on a hog message board if you think we should be happy for some one going elsewhere ... Go get on a stinking irish message board ..

The rump hurt is strong in this one....

AirWarren

artvandelay

No screw notre damn this is not the early 90's .. people like you piss me off .. why are you even on a hog message board if you think we should be happy for some one going elsewhere ... Go get on a stinking irish message board ..
😢

searkhogfan

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 01:17:10 pm
I'm actually a fan of the Irish Program and I hope he does well.

That explains a lot. 

AirWarren

searkhogfan

AirWarren

island hog

Either you want to be a Razorback or you don't.  A true Hog fan would never, ever dream of wearing anything other than a Razorback on their helmet... ever.  Amazing to me that a kid who grew up in Arkansas would decide AGAINST playing for the Hogs, when given the choice.  Times have changed.... 

AirWarren

Early 90s? They played for the national title in 2013.....

AirWarren

Quote from: island hog on December 27, 2017, 01:54:40 pm
Either you want to be a Razorback or you don't.  A true Hog fan would never, ever dream of wearing anything other than a Razorback on their helmet... ever.  Amazing to me that a kid who grew up in Arkansas would decide AGAINST playing for the Hogs, when given the choice.  Times have changed....

That's right.....

That's why he is going to swap the PA gold helmet for the ND Gold helmet.

You have to look at the bigger picture here. UofAF education < Notre Dame education. That is just a fact.

artvandelay

Changed? I grew up with some great football players that didn't chose the Hogs.  Do I wish they would have?  Of course,but they didn't because they did what was best for them not some Arkansas elitist that thinks just because we claim a championship we deserve to win year in, year out. 
And yes I said claim!  We claimed and nobody else does outside of Arkansas! 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 27, 2017, 01:23:46 pm
Stupid thing is Bert sucked but he still had all the instate guys committed .. we bring in a nice young mind and they start dropping like flys..

BB is younger than CCM

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RD on December 27, 2017, 12:18:38 pm
The kid is going to Notre Dame, be happy for him. Don't be a jerk.

Not going to be happy for him. However, I will choose not to say anything

RaisinHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 01:56:22 pm
Early 90s? They played for the national title in 2013.....

And got ran off the field ..

RazorPiggie

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:02:17 pm
Changed? I grew up with some great football players that didn't chose the Hogs.  Do I wish they would have?  Of course,but they didn't because they did what was best for them not some Arkansas elitist that thinks just because we claim a championship we deserve to win year in, year out. 

Arkansas Elitist?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:02:17 pm

I live outside of Arkansas never lived in the state. Everyone agrees the 1964 NC is Arkansas. It's not a claim thing.

AirWarren

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 27, 2017, 02:14:39 pm
And got ran off the field ..

So what? At least they made it. You and the rest of these folks take turns blowing the dust off of ole '64. Hang on to it for dear life!

We are lifetime cotton, liberty, and independence bowlers.

And we get fortune of being ran off the field EVERY YEAR by Bama. Not just one game.

AirWarren

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 27, 2017, 02:15:24 pm
I live outside of Arkansas never lived in the state. Everyone agrees the 1964 NC is Arkansas. It's not a claim thing.

I don't.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 27, 2017, 01:23:46 pm

He didn't have Bishop or Bohanon committed, and hadn't even offered Ferrell. And there's no way to know if either of the decommits would have stayed after the season we had. The negativity around Bielema if he'd been retained could just as easily have caused an exodus. We were going to have a rough go of it either way this year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 02:19:09 pm
I don't.

You live out of state?

Football Writers Association of America awarded is the National Championship after the 1964 season.

AirWarren

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 27, 2017, 02:22:26 pm
You live out of state?

Football Writers Association of America awarded is the National Championship after the 1964 season.

Means nothing to me. And I am a lifelong razorback fan.

Born and raised in Arkansas.....and I am 32. Can you imagine trying to win over a 16-17 year old kid with that "64 dust bunny"?

AirWarren

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 27, 2017, 02:20:16 pm
He didn't have Bishop or Bohanon committed, and hadn't even offered Ferrell. And there's no way to know if either of the decommits would have stayed after the season we had. The negativity around Bielema if he'd been retained could just as easily have caused an exodus. We were going to have a rough go of it either way this year.

Ill take Bishop over Jones any day of the week.

King Kong

You live out of state?

This is correct. It's not Claim when it's awarded. It is however a split NC just like numerous of others in College Football history.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 02:24:23 pm
Means nothing to me. And I am a lifelong razorback fan.

Born and raised in Arkansas.....and I am 32. Can you imagine trying to win over a 16-17 year old kid with that "64 dust bunny"?

It's relevantance now and impact on recruits is a completely different conversation than if it happened

RD

People like you are psychotic bashing a TEENAGE kid for making a decision that is in his best interest. You need to grow up.

RaisinHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 02:18:49 pm
So what? At least they made it. You and the rest of these folks take turns blowing the dust off of ole '64. Hang on to it for dear life!

We are lifetime cotton, liberty, and independence bowlers.

And we get fortune of being ran off the field EVERY YEAR by Bama. Not just one game.

They played a weak schedule and shouldn't have been there is the point and you know it

Redhogs

Quote from: jcharkansas on December 27, 2017, 01:24:58 pm
Maybe not for this one recruit but we can for the shape the program is in...
thank you....my point exactly.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HogCzar1

Here is the dilemma. Do we.....

A. Wish all these young men well, with public praise, thus encouraging others that follow to see that there really is no pressure to stay in state. Then, watch on Saturday's everyone else doing well with homegrown talent while our home state team goes 4-8..... or

B. Do everything within reason to create at atmosphere which makes one want to stay and play for the home state team. And, yes, that includes the Stanford's, the Notre Dames, the Ohio States..EVERYONE

Creating the best chance we have to make our own home state school great again.

Which is it?

RD

So I guess Alex Collins was a traitor? Maybe Clint Stoerner was a traitor as well? Ryan Mallett should've stayed in state as well?  What about Felix Jones, maybe he should have done the right thing and committed to OU or Oklahoma State?

You need to get with the program. The Cardinal and White Colors don't mean much to kids in this state if they can get a ride elsewhere like a Notre Dame. Some delusional fans can spout on here "Notre Dame is nothing" --- well they've been more prominent and noted than our Arkansas Razorbacks have been here lately.

It will take time and winning to build a fence around this state and create relationships into Texas/Louisiana/ where are our money is made.

Give it time. Have patience. Go Hogs.                                         

Tusks

This is a huge red flag. 

The kid committed to the hogs with the OL schit show that's been around on the hill for 2 seasons and after the coaching change the one position that comes in immediately with Morris is OL coach, Fry,  and then Jones hits the road to ND.

Poor poor results on this one fellas.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

artvandelay

ricepig

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 27, 2017, 02:35:11 pm
Here is the dilemma. Do we.....

A. Wish all these young men well, with public praise, thus encouraging others that follow to see that there really is no pressure to stay in state. Then, watch on Saturday's everyone else doing well with homegrown talent while our home state team goes 4-8..... or

B. Do everything within reason to create at atmosphere which makes one want to stay and play for the home state team. And, yes, that includes the Stanford's, the Notre Dames, the Ohio States..EVERYONE

Creating the best chance we have to make our own home state school great again.

Which is it?

How do you suppose we create this atmosphere? Outside of winning more games, what else can we do? I don't expect Luke is going to be too worried about where he works after his college career, but for lots of kids it's an important consideration.

artvandelay

You live out of state?

Ok and.... I say what I want when I want

HogCzar1

Quote from: RD on December 27, 2017, 02:36:24 pm
So I guess Alex Collins was a traitor? Maybe Clint Stoerner was a traitor as well? Ryan Mallett should've stayed in state as well?  What about Felix Jones, maybe he should have done the right thing and committed to OU or Oklahoma State?

You need to get with the program. The Cardinal and White Colors don't mean much to kids in this state if they can get a ride elsewhere like a Notre Dame. Some delusional fans can spout on here "Notre Dame is nothing" --- well they've been more prominent and noted than our Arkansas Razorbacks have been here lately.

It will take time and winning to build a fence around this state and create relationships into Texas/Louisiana/ where are our money is made.

Those are apples and oranges. Florida and Texas do not have one major program that the vast majority of the state recognizes as the flagship state school. That division of loyalties makes it much easier to leave their states.

We have been clamoring the need to build a fence around the state for a long time. And, we have seen kids overlooked who have gone on to star for other schools, and other higher ranked kids who leave the state and don't fare as well.

We aren't going to get everyone. But, I would argue that our own fan base has been quick to rationalize kids leaving the state for other programs when they will not reap the benefits following their playing careers that they would here.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
Ok

You're the one that said it. I'm trying to figure out what you meant.

Ok?

King Kong

December 27, 2017, 02:49:21 pm #139 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:34:05 pm by King Kong
Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:42:35 pm
Ok and.... I say what I want when I want

That's cool. It's America you want to say incorrect things go ahead.

But don't be surprised when presented with facts you look stupid

HogCzar1

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 02:42:20 pm
How do you suppose we create this atmosphere? Outside of winning more games, what else can we do? I don't expect Luke is going to be too worried about where he works after his college career, but for lots of kids it's an important consideration.

It's a very fair question. But we are very quick, perhaps too quick to rationalize kids leaving for perceived greener pastures. I do get tired of the narrative that degrees from the UA are vastly inferior to other schools. We see this a lot. We are very quick to rationalize a kid with a brighter future for having selected ND, or Stanford, etc. Those are great schools. But we are far too quick to minimize the value of a UA degree and the opportunity that possessing it presents.

artvandelay

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 27, 2017, 02:45:10 pm
You're the one that said it. I'm trying to figure out what you meant.

Ok?
Those Arkansans that can't see past there own NOSE cause they think they are living the high life up there in NWA. 

ricepig

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:49:31 pm
Those Arkansans that can't see past there own NOSE cause they think they are living the high life up there in NWA. 

What about the other Arkansans that are living up the high life in other parts of the state, don't you hate on us too?

ricepig

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 27, 2017, 02:49:30 pm
It's a very fair question. But we are very quick, perhaps too quick to rationalize kids leaving for perceived greener pastures. I do get tired of the narrative that degrees from the UA are vastly inferior to other schools. We see this a lot. We are very quick to rationalize a kid with a brighter future for having selected ND, or Stanford, etc. Those are great schools. But we are far too quick to minimize the value of a UA degree and the opportunity that possessing it presents.

My kids are 4th generation UofA graduates/students, they haven't lost a step in their climb up corporate ladders with their degrees from the UofA. Myself, it didn't really matter on the end of a rice shovel in 1980........

195bc

Quote from: RD on December 27, 2017, 02:36:24 pm

100% true. I wish he would have picked the Hogs. But Notre Dame is far superior to Arkansas in football tradition, recent football tradition, media exposure, and academics (academics being the most important point). It's known worldwide as a premier institution. If one of my sons received an offer from Arkansas and Notre Dame, I strongly encourage him to go to Notre Dame. And as a disclaimer, I was born and raised in Arkansas, attended U of A for undergrad and graduate school, I'm not Catholic, and I DESPISE the Fighting Irish. But for most kids, Notre Dame is a smarter choice, if given the option. Same goes for many other schools over Arkansas, and I wish that wasn't the case. The exceptions would be for certain position players under certain coaches. For a kid with NFL type talent that is a quarterback or wide receiver, for example, Chad Morris or Mike Gundy are going to make you a star. If you're a running back or offensive lineman, Wisconsin would be hard to ignore. The list goes on.

artvandelay

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 02:54:04 pm
What about the other Arkansans that are living up the high life in other parts of the state, don't you hate on us too?
Say wHat?  Your breaking up! Must be a bad connection!

ricepig

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 02:59:12 pm
Say wHat?  Your breaking up! Must be a bad connection!

How many troll accounts did you set up back in 2007, and how did you remember the password over numerous computers?

artvandelay

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 03:01:24 pm
How many troll accounts did you set up back in 2007, and how did you remember the password over numerous computers?
Right in the heart!

HogCzar1

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 02:56:55 pm
My kids are 4th generation UofA graduates/students, they haven't lost a step in their climb up corporate ladders with their degrees from the UofA. Myself, it didn't really matter on the end of a rice shovel in 1980........

Good points....

In today's world, just because you have a degree from a Harvard, a Yale, or a Stanford or Notre Dame does not guarantee you success. Neither does UA.

But there are opportunities that will exist within the home state that will favor those who choose the option of trying to make home the best it can be.

ricepig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on December 27, 2017, 03:02:21 pm
2 in-staters flipped to other P5 programs in last month... Pitiful. Say what you will/attack me, but any kid that grows up in Arkansas and doesn't want to be a Hog wasn't raised right.

Jones' Dad was from Detroit, so I don't think he was raised as a life long Hog fan, Flanagan was one.