Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Branson Dining

Started by Tripod1, January 21, 2014, 09:34:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripod1

The wife and I are taking a Branson trip over Valentine weekend.  Looking for suggestions for a really good place to eat for Valentine night.  We did the Candlestick many years ago but I see reviews of the place are not good.  We love all kinds of food and like the local places that the tourist does not know about.
Thanks

Inhogswetrust

It's been years since I've been there. Made reservations next weekend for our anniversary. I'd like a good restaurant suggestion also!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

grayhawg

If you like a great steak try Texas land and Cattle, down on the landing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BR on January 21, 2014, 01:08:04 pm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g44160-Branson_Missouri.html 

Thanks. However having been in the hotel and restaurant business most of my adult life I don't always trust TripAdvisor. People and companies have been known to manipulate it. For example when 2 of the top five on that list were Yogurt and an Ice Cream place that doesn't mean a "restaurant" to me.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

82abn Ard

Outback on 76.  Its not the outback chain and its good.

Boog41

"Level 2 Steakhouse" in the Hilton downtown convention center is excellent. http://www.level2steakhouse.com/

"The Worman House" at Big Cedar is excellent also. http://www.big-cedar.com/Page/The-Worman-House.aspx

Both are upscale and will be very good for a special occasion. Don't let the fact that they are associated with hotels fool you. Some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at in New York are in hotels. Branson doesn't really have any "special occasion" places that only the locals know about.

If you are into Italian, this is my favorite place, but I wouldn't consider it upscale. http://www.florentinasristoranteitaliano.com/

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2014, 03:38:18 pm
"Level 2 Steakhouse" in the Hilton downtown convention center is excellent. http://www.level2steakhouse.com/

"The Worman House" at Big Cedar is excellent also. http://www.big-cedar.com/Page/The-Worman-House.aspx

Both are upscale and will be very good for a special occasion. Don't let the fact that they are associated with hotels fool you. Some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at in New York are in hotels. Branson doesn't really have any "special occasion" places that only the locals know about.

If you are into Italian, this is my favorite place, but I wouldn't consider it upscale. http://www.florentinasristoranteitaliano.com/
Concur 100%. Dined at both Worman House and Level 2 on our visit there this past October and had fantastic experience at both.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Melhog

Try Buckingham's in the Clarion on 76. It won't be crowded at all because nobody knows about it.  Great steak, cesaer salad etc.  They make the ceasaer dressing table side.  Its been 10 yrs since I lived there, but that was always my wife and I's go to special place for anniversary, valentines, etc. You might check out reviews on yelp etc. but it was always really great when I was there. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boog41 on January 21, 2014, 03:38:18 pm

I've had pretty good restaurants in hotels and don't mind trying them. HIM suggested those also. I like the Italian idea as well. Thanks!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Melhog on January 21, 2014, 04:16:44 pm
Try Buckingham's in the Clarion on 76. It won't be crowded at all because nobody knows about it.  Great steak, cesaer salad etc.  They make the ceasaer dressing table side.  Its been 10 yrs since I lived there, but that was always my wife and I's go to special place for anniversary, valentines, etc. You might check out reviews on yelp etc. but it was always really great when I was there. 

Interesting suggestion. Especially in light of the "normal" Clarion hotel not being that good but we might give it a try! Thanks!

Melhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 21, 2014, 04:33:30 pm
Interesting suggestion. Especially in light of the "normal" Clarion hotel not being that good but we might give it a try! Thanks!

Remember, its been awhile since I've been there, but often times we had the entire place to ourselves. It was always excellent and decent price. I always had a filet.  The decor is a little weird, kind of a african safari theme.  They have little alcoves 2 person tables as well. It might be a good option if you don't want to do the usual Big Cedar type stuff.

DLUXHOG

I grew up in the area, before it was..... "Branson" and moved away also before it was "Branson".    There used to be some very good independently owned and operated "holes in the wall" places to eat, however I think they all have been overrun with "stop and slop" places primarily.    My parents and sisters still live in the area and I think there are still some good independent cafes in places like Nixa, Ozark, etc...    You'd have to do a good google search to evaluate them though....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Oklahawg

Boog41 nailed it! Level 2 and Florentino's are legit.

My favorite lunch spot is Danna's BBQ.

So nice to avoid chains or tourist traps for meals. Hard to do, but they exist.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Boog41

I bet I've driven by that Danna's BBQ place 1,000 times and never noticed it. Unless I'm staying down on the landing, I always cut across the damn to the Chateau or the Radison. I'll definitely give it a try next time I'm up there. Thx

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Boog41 on February 05, 2014, 11:17:03 am
I bet I've driven by that Danna's BBQ place 1,000 times and never noticed it. Unless I'm staying down on the landing, I always cut across the damn to the Chateau or the Radison. I'll definitely give it a try next time I'm up there. Thx

...me too, I was pleasantly surprised, and had plenty of leftovers.......we love Shoguns up the hill from there too it's my fav.
We also ate at the other Shoguns on the Lawence Welk area, it was really good, different menu....and the new Shorty's.....
next to Moon River......I'm going to try some of these talked about here....I had the works at Big Cedar over Christmas
it was ok, but really, all that food..? And the the price for 1 meal, and so far from everything, Big Cedar isn't on my Branson list....
and don't get roped into that all you can eat Lobater for $40....if you are a lobster eater ok, it's whole lobster and a bit tough.

Luv the Appleby's in Branson as well.....love the Mexican place on the Landing....really like Dolly's but how many times
did I do Dolly..?

Mickey Gilleys has great fajitas (are they still open).  Olive Garden is always good but hard to find a parking spot.....
Red Lobster is really good...the Italian place already mentioned on Green Mtn. road, you know it's good but pricey I thought...

Go Olive Garden unless you want the pamfort experience....

Branson mostly is hotel and chains but almost always good and the service cannot be beat for the most part....

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 05, 2014, 11:31:31 pm
...me too, I was pleasantly surprised, and had plenty of leftovers.......we love Shoguns up the hill from there too it's my fav.
We also ate at the other Shoguns on the Lawence Welk area, it was really good, different menu....and the new Shorty's.....
next to Moon River......I'm going to try some of these talked about here....I had the works at Big Cedar over Christmas
it was ok, but really, all that food..? And the the price for 1 meal, and so far from everything, Big Cedar isn't on my Branson list....
and don't get roped into that all you can eat Lobater for $40....if you are a lobster eater ok, it's whole lobster and a bit tough.

Luv the Appleby's in Branson as well.....love the Mexican place on the Landing....really like Dolly's but how many times
did I do Dolly..?

Mickey Gilleys has great fajitas (are they still open).  Olive Garden is always good but hard to find a parking spot.....
Red Lobster is really good...the Italian place already mentioned on Green Mtn. road, you know it's good but pricey I thought...

Branson mostly is hotel and chains but almost always good and the service cannot be beat for the most part....
yikes! This is an embarrassing post. I feel badly for u!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 05, 2014, 11:31:31 pm

did I do Dolly..?

You lost me at Crapplebee's, then it only got worse w/ the OG and Red Lobster mentions.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

wholehog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2014, 07:47:28 am
yikes! This is an embarrassing post. I feel badly for u!
You feel badly for him because his tastes differ from yours?  That speaks volumes about you!

Dr. Starcs

HoginMemphis posting about embarrassing posts.

Lol

Boog41

I agree with the above about Cantina Laredo being good. (upscale Mexican place on the landing...... and don't laugh at that oxymoron, it IS upscale) I didn't mention it in my original list because when Tripod started this thread he asked for a Valentines dinner place. As good as Cantina Laredo is, I wouldn't take my Valentine there.

If you do go, try the sea bass.

Boog41

Guys, I've forgotten about one other "special" place to take a Valentine. Table 22 www.table22branson.com

It is a very upscale, modern American kind of restaurant. Smaller portions and great wines from next door to choose from. It has a big city feel to it with sophistication and is $$$$$. If you are into most of the places listed above, you will not like this place.

Unless your Valentine is a chow hound, take her here and it will set the mood!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Boog41 on February 06, 2014, 01:47:32 pm
Guys, I've forgotten about one other "special" place to take a Valentine. Table 22 www.table22branson.com

It is a very upscale, modern American kind of restaurant. Smaller portions and great wines from next door to choose from. It has a big city feel to it with sophistication and is $$$$$. If you are into most of the places listed above, you will not like this place.

Did not dine there this past October but walked past it and into the wine store next door. Looked very upscale, especially for Branson.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: wholehog on February 06, 2014, 08:53:09 am
You feel badly for him because his tastes differ from yours?  That speaks volumes about you!
No. I feel badly for him because he is devoid of taste. Hence my reply. Applebee's? Red Lobster? I am thinking he was joking. At least I hope he was.

Tripod1

Quote from: Boog41 on February 06, 2014, 01:47:32 pm

I've checked this place out and appears to be what a person would find in a Chicago or NYC.  Very upscale and very $$$$$. 

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: wholehog on February 06, 2014, 08:53:09 am

...haha, so true, I've had $100 an ounce beef and I tell you, for the money the Bourbon Street steak at Appleby's is the best sirloin in Branson....
throw in garlic potatoes and broccoli and it's a great meal.  It beats Outback, Montana Mikes, Longhorn or Texas steak house and many others.

I've had the Bourbon steak several times and also the lime shrimp on spinach.....it's just my kind of meal.....some people like $75 plates
of one scallop on a bed of grass w/ an edible flower and that is fine by me, lol. --- G O  F O R  I T ...

The same Sysco truck backs up there as it does at most all these high$ places mentioned here.......If paying double or triple
for basically the same sirloin to sit quite alone in a fancy place helps you think it's better do it!!

Always had fun at OG and Shogun, it's also about fun for me......Florentines say they make their own pasta, I got no problem
with that, its good Italian, not in the great category though, imo, But, many will hear they make their own pasta and "believe"
it's better......I never can find a parking spot at OG and Florentines is closer to my place there so I go more often than OG...

Boog41

Quote from: Tripod1 on February 06, 2014, 02:42:51 pm
I've checked this place out and appears to be what a person would find in a Chicago or NYC.  Very upscale and very $$$$$. 

Yes, it very much is.

I apologize if I offended anyone earlier when I said if you like the restaurants above that you wouldn't like Table22. I simply meant that it is a very "fru fru" type of place. Did not mean anything about anyone else's tastes, pallets, or likes.

McKdaddy

We'll agree to disagree on the 3 chains mentioned.  IMO, OG tastes only a little better than the microwaved Italian dinners I would sometimes eat in college...it's the Denny's of Italian food.

wholehog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2014, 01:51:39 pm
No. I feel badly for him because he is devoid of taste. Hence my reply. Applebee's? Red Lobster? I am thinking he was joking. At least I hope he was.
You live in Memphis by choice.  I think that says enough about you. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 06, 2014, 03:57:49 pm
...haha, so true, I've had $100 an ounce beef and I tell you, for the money the Bourbon Street steak at Appleby's is the best sirloin in Branson....
throw in garlic potatoes and broccoli and it's a great meal.  It beats Outback, Montana Mikes, Longhorn or Texas steak house and many others.

I've had the Bourbon steak several times and also the lime shrimp on spinach.....it's just my kind of meal.....some people like $75 plates
of one scallop on a bed of grass w/ an edible flower and that is fine by me, lol. --- G O  F O R  I T ...

The same Sysco truck backs up there as it does at most all these high$ places mentioned here.......If paying double or triple
for basically the same sirloin to sit quite alone in a fancy place helps you think it's better do it!!

Always had fun at OG and Shogun, it's also about fun for me......Florentines say they make their own pasta, I got no problem
with that, its good Italian, not in the great category though, imo, But, many will hear they make their own pasta and "believe"
it's better......I never can find a parking spot at OG and Florentines is closer to my place there so I go more often than OG...

Boom!   +1
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 06, 2014, 03:57:49 pm

I am not aware of any beef that goes for $100 per ounce. And while Sysco may provide some beef to any and all restaurants in Branson, I can assure you the filet at Worman House and at Level 2 is far superior quality to the filet at Applebee's. That is unless you cannot discern the difference between prime cut beef tenderloin prepared professionally and shoe leather prepared by a guy making $8.75/hour at Applebee's.

Sir Oinksalot

Appleby's has high grade Sysco, and didn't say tenderloin did I, I said sirloin da.....and yes there is a difference between
tenderloin and sirloin.....comprehension much..?

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 06, 2014, 04:33:00 pm
We'll agree to disagree on the 3 chains mentioned.  IMO, OG tastes only a little better than the microwaved Italian dinners I would sometimes eat in college...it's the Denny's of Italian food.

...eat where you want man, really I don't care where, haha,  seriously, I'm sorry but, your opinion of what my opinion is means like

next to nothing to me...

McKdaddy

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 06, 2014, 07:13:10 pm
...eat where you want man, really I don't care where, haha,  seriously, I'm sorry but, your opinion of what my opinion is means like

next to nothing to me...

It's all good, we all know what opinions are worth.

Sir Oinksalot

Worman House is very good, never said it wasn't , haven't been to Level 2, I will try it next time I'm sure it's great, Jez...

Sir Oinksalot

Oklahawg

I am reminded of a friend who would come to town (Tulsa) to visit and ask for me to "take him someplace nice". Tulsa folks will know the level of restaurants!

He was in town with work so I was hosting him for dinners.

Day #1: Jamil's Steakhouse. At the time, it was still as good as you could get in Tulsa (pre-Smoke, pre-Phryme).
Day #2: Mary's Trattoria for Italian (should have known something was up - he had spaghetti with meat sauce)
Day #3: Atlantic Sea Grill (RIP, great seasfood flown in from the coast daily).

On day #4 he said, "we went out to lunch today and it was great, could we go back there?"

We had a burger at a Ron's Hamburgers. (Think Mr. Burger with waitresses.)

It hadn't dawned on me that "nice" to him was someplace with a waitstaff. He had a limited palate and couldn't tell the difference between alfredo sauce and scampi sauce at Olive Garden.

The message here is to remember that not everyone understands or "gets" fine dining.

I treat Mexican food as if I was training to be a sommelier, if such a thing existed for Mexican food. I cringe when people suggest eating at Ted's Escondido or Los Cabos or Abuelo's - it's not Mexican food to me, and certainly pales compared to a dozen places I know in Tulsa, many of which might not have English spoken by an employee as their native language.

But, there is no need for me to bash someone here. We can learn, though. We can suggest things. Maybe those of us who come off as "food snobs" can start new threads that help explain what we look for, or how we went about acquiring our food tastes.

Carry on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

McKdaddy

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 06, 2014, 09:36:56 pm
I am reminded of a friend who would come to town (Tulsa) to visit and ask for me to "take him someplace nice". Tulsa folks will know the level of restaurants!

He was in town with work so I was hosting him for dinners.

Day #1: Jamil's Steakhouse. At the time, it was still as good as you could get in Tulsa (pre-Smoke, pre-Phryme).
Day #2: Mary's Trattoria for Italian (should have known something was up - he had spaghetti with meat sauce)
Day #3: Atlantic Sea Grill (RIP, great seasfood flown in from the coast daily).

On day #4 he said, "we went out to lunch today and it was great, could we go back there?"

We had a burger at a Ron's Hamburgers. (Think Mr. Burger with waitresses.)

It hadn't dawned on me that "nice" to him was someplace with a waitstaff. He had a limited palate and couldn't tell the difference between alfredo sauce and scampi sauce at Olive Garden.

The message here is to remember that not everyone understands or "gets" fine dining.

I treat Mexican food as if I was training to be a sommelier, if such a thing existed for Mexican food. I cringe when people suggest eating at Ted's Escondido or Los Cabos or Abuelo's - it's not Mexican food to me, and certainly pales compared to a dozen places I know in Tulsa, many of which might not have English spoken by an employee as their native language.

But, there is no need for me to bash someone here. We can learn, though. We can suggest things. Maybe those of us who come off as "food snobs" can start new threads that help explain what we look for, or how we went about acquiring our food tastes.

Carry on.

Well said.

Boog41

hog.goblin

February 07, 2014, 09:22:49 pm #39 Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:45:00 am by hog.goblin
Growing up nearby we always like Dimitri's and Rocky's, but it's been so long I hate to recommend them.  Candlestick used to be good, but has been well below par the last few times.

I would recommend Florentine's, Level 2, and the Worman House.

I would stay away from Montana Mike's and Outback.  Can't cut their steaks with a chainsaw.

The Shogun there is better than the ones in NWA, plus Tony Orlando is there all the time if you want to see someone that was famous in the 70s.

Cakes and Creams for dessert.

hog.goblin

Lunch go to Mr Gs Pizza, Billy Bob's Dairyland, and Cantina Laredo is good for a chain.

jkelly107

Not romantic but how can u go to that area and not eat at Lamberts in Ozark
Love that place.
http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Boog41

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 07, 2014, 09:22:49 pm
Growing up nearby we always like Dimitri's and Rocky's, but it's been so long I hate to recommend them.  Candlestick used to be good, but has been well below par the last few times.

I would recommend Florentine's, Level 2, and the Worman House.

I would stay away from Montana Mike's and Outback.  Can't cut their steaks with a chainsaw.

The Shogun there is better than the ones in NWA, plus Tony Orlando is there all the time if you want to see someone that was famous in the 70s.

Cakes and Creams for dessert.

Has Candlestick reopened since the tornado?? Last I was in Branson, it had not.

I've never tried Rocky's, but have always wanted to.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Boog41 on February 08, 2014, 10:50:09 am
Has Candlestick reopened since the tornado?? Last I was in Branson, it had not.

I've never tried Rocky's, but have always wanted to.

It was still closed last time I we were in town (a few months ago).

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 07, 2014, 09:27:20 pm
Lunch go to Mr Gs Pizza, Billy Bob's Dairyland, and Cantina Laredo is good for a chain.

I concur on Mr G's.  My favorite hole in the wall in Branson.  If you can just get past the smoke...

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Oh yeah, Missouri Butter Cake at Level 2.  Sinful...
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jkelly107 on February 07, 2014, 11:33:03 pm
Not romantic but how can u go to that area and not eat at Lamberts in Ozark
Love that place.
http://www.throwedrolls.com/
Same as I can go there and not eat at any of the other fried food, full of fat and cholesterol entrees offered restaurants that are a dime a dozen.

hog.goblin

Quote from: rampage72501 on February 08, 2014, 09:36:57 pm
I concur on Mr G's.  My favorite hole in the wall in Branson.  If you can just get past the smoke...

True, we usually get it to go for that very reason

Oklahawg

Quote from: rampage72501 on February 08, 2014, 09:38:53 pm
Oh yeah, Missouri Butter Cake at Level 2.  Sinful...

Sinful is an understatement. Just...wow.

H&D

Starvin Marvin, it's dirty, food sucks and it's expensive.  Once you're back at the hotel, while she is on her knees praying to the porcelain god and distracted.....you can make your move.....  You are welcome.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"