Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches Out There!

Started by GrizzlyRider07, December 31, 2014, 08:52:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

Okay so with all these rumors about Coach RS heading to Florida, what coach would be a great hire to replace him? Are there any hot names out there that we would want to go after? I know Coach B will find someone great I'm sure just like he did with Coach R. Smith. I'm thinking he will try and find someone with great Florida ties too since Randy Shannon was the only one left. I believe we will be able to pull a really good coach from another program because of our success we've started having.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

Arkansas Fan

hoglady

I have total faith in Coach B to make the right hire.
He did a great job last off season with his defensive hires (as evidenced on the field) - no reason to think he won't make another.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Swine Superior

Greg Schiano. Robb Smith and South Florida ties.

GrizzlyRider07

I would love to add Greg Schiano I feel like that would be a great hire but he's one you couldn't count on being here for awhile either because I believe he's still wanting a head coaching job!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

bulldog04

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 31, 2014, 08:54:27 am
DJ Durkin?

he would be interesting... I mentioned Michael Barrow in another thread....

RazorPiggie

Go hogs go

ED O is a Dl coach all hes ever coached. dont know if segrest has ever coached lbs. But Ed O as a recruiting cordinator and dl coach would be sweet. not happening though

RazorPiggie

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 31, 2014, 09:01:17 am
Ed Orgeron

Only been a LBers coach once and that was back in 94. But would be an upgrade in recruiting.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 31, 2014, 09:02:07 am
he would be interesting... I mentioned Michael Barrow in another thread....

Is he still on Sabbatical?

AugustaHog

Ok, I know Schiano is a total pipe dream, but having him here for a year or two while he was waiting on the right job, would be awesome.  Give him a mil a year as associate head coach/LB coach and let him go to work.  He's the real deal and would probably be an upgrade over RS. 

Swine Superior

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on December 31, 2014, 09:00:46 am
I would love to add Greg Schiano I feel like that would be a great hire but he's one you couldn't count on being here for awhile either because I believe he's still wanting a head coaching job!

Just don't see his name being mentioned a lot.He may have to start over somewhere and the blend in philosophies would be an advantage we may not have had with Shannon.
I think he visited this past spring  as well.
As long as we have success we are going to have coaches leaving regardless.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: AugustaHog on December 31, 2014, 09:06:05 am
Ok, I know Schiano is a total pipe dream, but having him here for a year or two while he was waiting on the right job, would be awesome.  Give him a mil a year as associate head coach/LB coach and let him go to work.  He's the real deal and would probably be an upgrade over RS. 

How would that impact recruiting though? I hope we get another Pittman type of recruiter on the defensive side of the ball.

HF#1

Good news is that Brett has a ton of flexibility should RS leave.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

yraciv

I expected Randy Shannon to go sooner rather than later, but just don't understand why he'd go for such a lateral move.  I can't imagine Florida will pay him that much more a non coordinator role. Home state/recruiting ties may make sense, but does this guy not want to be a DC or HC somewhere again?  I've got to think there is some team out there that would give this guy a better title and a raise.

SquidBilly

Mike Singletary is available.  Or go get a guy like Brian Urlacher.  Both still have name recognition and both certainly know a thing or two about playing linebacker.

emdavenp

Quote from: yraciv on December 31, 2014, 09:14:58 am
I expected Randy Shannon to go sooner rather than later, but just don't understand why he'd go for such a lateral move.  I can't imagine Florida will pay him that much more a non coordinator role. Home state/recruiting ties may make sense, but does this guy not want to be a DC or HC somewhere again?  I've got to think there is some team out there that would give this guy a better title and a raise.

He's going home though. It's hard to get upset about losing a guy that may just simply want to go home.

I agree, I don't get a lateral move like this, mainly because our program is on the rise and there is alot of grey area in the Florida program. However, their defense is full of athletes.

1texashogfan

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

Tim Harris

Quote from: yraciv on December 31, 2014, 09:14:58 am

Titles don't mean much.  Anything other than OC/DC is just a way to get someone more money.

Tim Harris

We have to add someone with recruiting ties in Florida.  We have now lost our 2 best recruiters in South Florida.

IBleedRazorbackRed

What about this resume:

He joined San Francisco after having spent eight years coaching in the collegiate ranks. In 2010, he was the nickel back/assistant linebackers coach for a University of Wisconsin team that finished the year ranked seventh in the nation with an 11-2 record.

Prior to joining the Badgers, Jackson coached at Tulane University, serving as the linebackers/kickoff team coach (2009), the safeties/kickoff team coach (2008) and the defensive backs coach (2007). Jackson spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe (2004-06), where he coached All-Sun Belt Conference defensive back Chris Harris, who led the country with seven interceptions, in 2004. He also spent one year as the defensive backs coach for the University of Idaho (2003). 

Played at lsu (Louisiana recruiting)
From Miami (south Florida recruiting)
Experience coaching linebackers and secondary (allows robb smith to do whichever he is more comfortable at)

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 31, 2014, 09:25:16 am
We have to add someone with recruiting ties in Florida.  We have now lost our 2 best recruiters in South Florida.

Think they replace Michael smith with George McDonald?

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 31, 2014, 09:15:32 am
Mike Singletary is available.  Or go get a guy like Brian Urlacher.  Both still have name recognition and both certainly know a thing or two about playing linebacker.
Now these two names definitely stand out to me! I believe this is the true definition of a wish!! I'd love to have Brian Urlacher but I think the lack of coaching experience would keep that from happening. But imagine this man walking into a kids home to recruit him, that would almost be a done deal for linebackers!! Who wouldnt want to be coached by a HOFer. Mike Singletary though would also be a great LBer coach as well though.

Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

Tim Harris

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 31, 2014, 09:27:04 am
Think they replace Michael smith with George McDonald?

Without Smith we have no Louisiana recruiter.

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 31, 2014, 09:26:23 am
What about this resume:

He joined San Francisco after having spent eight years coaching in the collegiate ranks. In 2010, he was the nickel back/assistant linebackers coach for a University of Wisconsin team that finished the year ranked seventh in the nation with an 11-2 record.

Prior to joining the Badgers, Jackson coached at Tulane University, serving as the linebackers/kickoff team coach (2009), the safeties/kickoff team coach (2008) and the defensive backs coach (2007). Jackson spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe (2004-06), where he coached All-Sun Belt Conference defensive back Chris Harris, who led the country with seven interceptions, in 2004. He also spent one year as the defensive backs coach for the University of Idaho (2003). 

Played at lsu (Louisiana recruiting)
From Miami (south Florida recruiting)
Experience coaching linebackers and secondary (allows robb smith to do whichever he is more comfortable at)
Who is this you are referring to?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

PonderinHog

SquidBilly

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on December 31, 2014, 09:29:39 am
Who is this you are referring to?

Greg Jackson who is currently still employed by the 49ers.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 31, 2014, 09:32:17 am
Greg Jackson who is currently still employed by the 49ers.

I'm sure he will be looking for a new job. The new coach will probably bring in his own staff.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 31, 2014, 09:29:02 am
Without Smith we have no Louisiana recruiter.

Smith has coached RB's in the past. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out

Kevin

With how cbb has done the hire since he has been here, it will be somebody nobody predicts
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BrassNunchucks

Kevin

Wasn't smith the lb coach at Tampa. If so there is flexibility in the hire
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: BrassNunchucks on December 31, 2014, 09:52:44 am
Tommy thigpen

Currently makes $345,000. I'm sure UT would match anything as he was responsible for 15 commits last.

I know he is from Arkansas. But is he more of an East Coast guy now?

HOGINTENNESSEE

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on December 31, 2014, 08:56:31 am
I have total faith in Coach B to make the right hire.
He did a great job last off season with his defensive hires (as evidenced on the field) - no reason to think he won't make another.

exactly
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 31, 2014, 10:09:39 am
Lol, TCU maybe a coaching farming ground for us

worked last time and he has CBB connections...

online-with-swine

Quote from: Kevin on December 31, 2014, 09:55:01 am
Wasn't smith the lb coach at Tampa. If so there is flexibility in the hire

That may be key.  We need a slam dunk recruiter first, preferably with ties to Florida or Texas.

HOGINTENNESSEE

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Snyder

CBB is big friends with this guy. His recent success as DC wasn't great. But he did win an NC as a DC with OSU

Hogdomer

Coaching search says Andy Buh.

The_Iceman

hoghearted

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 31, 2014, 10:14:10 am

Did they correctly predict the Robb Smith hire last year? Did anyone, for that matter?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 31, 2014, 10:11:04 am
worked last time and he has CBB connections...

It was a great find. I love playing this game.

For Dline coach I found about 8 different names connected to CBB. The we hired Rory Segrest. Lol

bulldog04

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 31, 2014, 10:14:10 am

They say he could be an option. The didn't say he is for sure the guy.

Buh is for sure an option.

Kevin

Don't think he goes the way of an old Wisconsin coach. We are not running that type of defense now.

I would think smith, Jennings & segrist wiok have a say in it