Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charlie Strong's hurt feelings

Started by lechon, December 30, 2014, 05:08:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lechon

He gave a quick hand shake to Coach B and wouldn't even look at him and no other UT staff member would
shake hands either ??

was this all about the  ::hornsdown:: or did I miss something ??
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

bigdaddyhawg

What kind of mood do you think you'd be in after the embarrassment your team just absorbed?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

31to6

Quote from: lechon on December 30, 2014, 05:08:51 pm
He gave a quick hand shake to Coach B and wouldn't even look at him and no other UT staff member would
shake hands either ??

He addressed that.

"We just got beaten. What do you expect, we are going to stand there and tell jokes?" (paraphrased)

Squealers

Charlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.   
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

pigture perfect

Charlie was just in a hurry to get to the locker room to change into his asbestos underwear. He knew the Texas media was about to lite a fire under his  behind. And they did.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Quote from: 31to6 on December 30, 2014, 05:14:48 pm
He addressed that.

"We just got beaten. What do you expect, we are going to stand there and tell jokes?" (paraphrased)

Yep, no need to say good luck on the rest of your season.......

razorbackkid

All the talking necessary was done on the field and relayed on the scoreboard.  Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pm
Charlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.   

He got his dry.

jlhogfan

Quote from: lechon on December 30, 2014, 05:08:51 pm
shake hands either ??

What was he supposed to do?

Matt Burks

Quote from: jlhogfan on December 30, 2014, 05:50:48 pm
If I were him I'd leave Texas. There are several NFL teams looking for coaches and I think his style would fit well at say Chicago.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 30, 2014, 05:56:50 pm
If I were him I'd leave Texas. There are several NFL teams looking for coaches and I think his style would fit well at say Chicago.

Maybe his style is to stay and get the job done in accordance with his contract.  Strong will do fine at Texas. 

He inherited a screwed up program left that way for him by one of the most overrated cfb coaches in the history of the game.

lechon

Quote from: jlhogfan on December 30, 2014, 05:50:48 pm

it just looked as if the whole UT staff was upset about something other that the game
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

grayhawg

Quote from: lechon on December 30, 2014, 06:03:12 pm
it just looked as if the whole UT staff was upset about something other that the game

Really think they were embarrassed more than upset. A month to get ready for the game and had 59 yards total offence, I would be embarrassed.

DeltaBoy

Any Longhorn fan who expected Texas to do better this year were crazy or stupid, Mack Brown had turned the team into camp cupcake. It will take 2 more years to turn that mess around.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

I think they are upset with a number of the players.
Most likely see a few more kicked to the curb in the near future.
They'll either get their attitude right or they'll have to find somewhere else to play.
If you listened to Strong's press conference he was really upset with the effort and attitude of his team.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dropkick

Strong is trying to change the culture there. I think he is an awesome coach and given time will be hard to beat. JMHO

RockyMtnHog

He was getting lip from some of his players that does not sit well with a coach.  I think that he was more upset with the performance of his team than with the Arkansas coaches or players.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

DeltaBoy

His presser he mentioned lack of effort, not playing hard and failing to buying in to his plans. I expect us to see several other players leave UT.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

gawntrail

Looked like some players were sassin' the coaches.  Probably quite a bit of house cleaning in the near future.

Strong is a good hire for a lot of reasons.  Some, many of the UT faithful may not be quite up to speed on.  If they let him, he'll get that program back on track.... And more than likely back to national prominence.

online-with-swine

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 30, 2014, 05:46:22 pm
He got his dry.

The Texas coaches did look like they where having a hard time walking after the game.  Probably couldn't stand the trip out to midfield.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Dropkick on December 30, 2014, 06:25:49 pm
Strong is trying to change the culture there. I think he is an awesome coach and given time will be hard to beat. JMHO

You sunshine pumpers just love mediocrity....it's obvious that he's lost this team and the wrong hire was made by Mr. Integrity and furthermore...

Oh wait...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RollHogTide

If the "Big Cigars" will leave him alone, Coach Strong will make Texas relevant again - quickly.

Pathogen

Your face reading ability is correct.  No one on the Texas staff cared about Texas putting up only 59 yards of offense, and the inability to stop our run game despite a month to prepare and ultimately getting rolled 31-7.  It was the upside down hook 'em horns by Bielema (that never happened) that had them in such a bad mood.  Good thread.

Pig Worshipper

Charlie didn't get his feelings hurt, he just hates getting routed like any good coach would. I think he's a great guy who will turn that program around if given the time. The young men who buy in will learn a great deal of toughness and persistence from him.

LJHOG

Quote from: hoglady on December 30, 2014, 06:21:55 pm
If you listened to Strong's press conference he was really upset with the effort and attitude of his team.
Did you see him chew out the DB who gave up the long TD pass and the players reaction?  It wasn't a bad play on the guys part.  If that is how Charlie is gonna "coach" he'll last three years.

1texashogfan

Charlie has already learned the art of sore losing the longhorn way. Longhorns are terrible losers and worse winners.
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

hogfan10

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2014, 07:03:37 pm
That may be the most optimistic estimate I've seen....Strong has his work cut out for him. 

I could see him doing it in year 3. Texas doesn't lack talent, they lack toughness. The Horns have been soft for years, like all the way back to the mid/late 90's.

BallHog1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 30, 2014, 06:56:53 pm
You sunshine pumpers just love mediocrity....it's obvious that he's lost this team and the wrong hire was made by Mr. Integrity and furthermore...

Oh wait...
Thank you for saying this, I was thinking it. Lot of folks could see themselves it they'd just look at the Texas fans and then review their posts.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Dropkick on December 30, 2014, 06:25:49 pm

Strong's best character strength, his brutal honesty is also sometimes his own worst enemy.

Bielema went through much the same thing a year ago but even after every heartbreaking loss he always kept everyone focused on what they are building to, not focusing on assigning blame for what they were not yet able to be.  His stubborn persistence in focusing on the goal created a positive attitude in first the team and then the fans and even eventually in the media.  By the middle of this year everyone was seeing the progress on the field even when there was little on the scoreboard.  When the turn came everyone accepted it almost as a given.

To quote another well known adopted Texican, Strong needs to start selling the vision thing before things get away from him.

longpig

Charlie's responses are very Saban ish, minus the condescension and well placed Coca Cola.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hoggish1

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 30, 2014, 06:30:08 pm
He was getting lip from some of his players that does not sit well with a coach.

Might mean more guys are kicked out of that soft program in the next few days.

IUHog

Stong probably needs to clean out some of his t-sip booster too. I think the Horns problems run deeper than just the roster. This is bigger than a Nutt/MSM/GOBN level purge.

Sivad

Quote from: 1texashogfan on December 30, 2014, 07:45:00 pm
Charlie has already learned the art of sore losing the longhorn way. Longhorns are terrible losers and worse winners.
I don't think Charlie Strong said one good word about the Arkansas team, how it played or how it was coached as most gracious losing coaches do.
Strong gave NO credit to Arkansas.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

It was year 3 before CS got Louisville turned around from the mess there whether it was Kragthorpe or lack of players that was the problem.

Many of the same things being said about the Shorthorns were being said of us, oh say less than a year ago.

An infusion of talent like Malik Jefferson and others and some toughness rather than Mack Daddy's Dr. Feelgood crap will do wonders in a year or two.

I will say that they need a QB badly. The announcers speculated about them moving Swoopes to TE and going with the RS freshman.

I would do that and recruit a JC QB or take a SR transfer, but I doubt that Braxton Miller would go there after that whipping.

As bad as Swoopes looked, I don't know that he's that much worse than Boykin at TCU 2 years ago, so who knows?

I'm just glad we're no longer in their position. They could go 0-12 for years and it would suit me fine, but Charley Strong WILL turn that program around if the good ol' boys give him 4 years...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas took a knee inside their 5 twice....we deserved some good sportsmanship by accommodating comments...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SamBuckhart

Ski Rew texas and the 3 legged horse they rode into town on.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 30, 2014, 06:00:15 pm
He inherited a screwed up program left that way for him by one of the most overrated cfb coaches in the history of the game.

From 2001 through 2009 Mack Brown won 10 or more games every year.  His teams went 101-16...an average record of better than 11-2 per season...and finished in the top five in five of those nine seasons.  He won one national championship and made it to the BCS Championship Game one other time.

Since Strong is so much better it's a cinch he will surpass those numbers put up by an overrated buffoon, right?  Especially since he will have the same recruiting advantages that always explained away Brown's record...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 30, 2014, 06:30:18 pm

His presser he mentioned lack of effort, not playing hard and failing to buying in to his plans. I expect us to see several other players leave UT.

Agree with above.  Strong seems to be a very good coach, & is trying to do things right..... but not sure if he will fit in at Texas.  Word has been going around since he was hired, that he doesn't seem to want to kiss butt enough with the big Horn donors, etc.  He just wants to coach football.  The social aspect & butt kissing.....seem to be required in Austin,  more than other jobs.  He may have to start winning quicker than normal, to be tolerated by the elite.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Augustus

Who cares what Charlie Strong feels? I imagine he was/is pissed of at his team and their performance last night, but if he's pissed off at Coach B because of something the media made a darn storm about... then piss on him.

It reminds me of that Houston coach who went off on Ken Hatfield after the game. Coaches get emotional, just like the players do. And, Strong has a long road in front of him. He knows it, and maybe last night made it completely obvious to the delusional Shorthorn fanbase.

Strong is a good coach, and if their fanbase gives him time, he'll get them back (*ahem*... just like another Coach we talk about frequently on here).

But, if Strong isn't coaching for Arkansas? I could care less about his feels.

ballz2thewall

i don't think he's up to the task.

the texas job is far different from many others.  it wore mack brown down, and he's a very good politician.

strong is not that type of guy. he may be and x and o type, and a good influence on players.

but that isn't half the job at texas.

the texas coach has to be able to manipulate those above him at this point.  does anyone see strong doing that?
The rest of the frog.

Augustus

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 30, 2014, 11:26:51 pm
i don't think he's up to the task.

the texas job is far different from many others.  it wore mack brown down, and he's a very good politician.

strong is not that type of guy. he may be and x and o type, and a good influence on players.

but that isn't half the job at texas.

the texas coach has to be able to manipulate those above him at this point.  does anyone see strong doing that?

I'm not sure that's not any different than any other top 25 job? All of the upper tier schools have boosters and "good ole boy" networks, just like Texas. Maybe not to the monetary extent of Texas, but most Coaches still have to serve as politicians, in some fashion.

Take Petrino or Pelini... They literally had to lie to their boss - among other things -  (Petrino) or dare the higher ups to fire them (Pelini), before they got fired.

All that matters is winning. Winning keeps the fanbase happy, it keeps the media from asking the wrong questions... which in turn helps keeps the boosters happy long enough until a magical season occurs for the boosters to realize a return on their investment.

Strong is early on in his rebuild, and I'm sure the Texas boosters know this. As long as he doesn't cross them, until he starts winning? He'll be fine.

Another example is Brody Hoke. He wasn't fired because he couldn't play the politics game, he was fired because of his lackluster performance after year 1.

Mack Brown isn't the Coach at Texass anymore because he went 4 years without having a 10 win season. That's the expectation, and that's the shelf life in today's college football.

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 30, 2014, 10:59:08 pm
From 2001 through 2009 Mack Brown won 10 or more games every year.  His teams went 101-16...an average record of better than 11-2 per season...and finished in the top five in five of those nine seasons.  He won one national championship and made it to the BCS Championship Game one other time.

Since Strong is so much better it's a cinch he will surpass those numbers put up by an overrated buffoon, right?  Especially since he will have the same recruiting advantages that always explained away Brown's record...

Agreed 1000%.  Brown let that program get away from him, but it wasn't like he couldn't coach.....because he damn well could.  The inherent problem with the Texas job is that you have to be a politician as much as a football coach to navigate the myriad of bull**** the boosters and alumni groups force you to deal with, regardless of how many games you've won.

Brown was a very good coach who was just as adept at sweet-talking boosters as he was recruits (and their mothers).  Strong is a very good coach, but he's not gonna do the Texas two-step with those people down there like Brown did.....and that's going to be a problem, if it isn't already.  That's the main reason I didn't think he was a good hire for Texas - not that he can't coach his ass off, because he can - he is an odd fit for that job.  The AD and his $$$ friends of the program will wanna roll him out for meet-and-greets & BBQ's like a fat ass oil man does with his beautiful young fake-tittied trophy wife.  Strong is likely to tell them to get bent.....he's a coach, not a performer.

Regardless of how many games I think he'll win/lose there, he's got his hands full on and off the field.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: LZH on December 31, 2014, 06:13:50 am
Agreed 1000%.  Brown let that program get away from him, but it wasn't like he couldn't coach.....because he damn well could.  The inherent problem with the Texas job is that you have to be a politician as much as a football coach to navigate the myriad of bull**** the boosters and alumni groups force you to deal with, regardless of how many games you've won.

Brown was a very good coach who was just as adept at sweet-talking boosters as he was recruits (and their mothers).  Strong is a very good coach, but he's not gonna do the Texas two-step with those people down there like Brown did.....and that's going to be a problem, if it isn't already.  That's the main reason I didn't think he was a good hire for Texas - not that he can't coach his ass off, because he can - he is an odd fit for that job.  The AD and his $$$ friends of the program will wanna roll him out for meet-and-greets & BBQ's like a fat ass oil man does with his beautiful young fake-tittied trophy wife.  Strong is likely to tell them to get bent.....he's a coach, not a performer.

Regardless of how many games I think he'll win/lose there, he's got his hands full on and off the field.

agreed, zep.  coaching is a small part of that job.  i don't think strong is the guy for that.

i don't really know who is.  frank broyles is retired; otherwise he'd be in the running.
The rest of the frog.

LZH

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 31, 2014, 06:20:24 am
frank broyles is retired; otherwise he'd be in the running.

Ha, yeah no kidding.  If there are any young, sharp, charismatic coaches out there in the mold of Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, Lou Holtz, Pete Carroll, etc. (guys who are just as comfortable at the podium as they are on the sideline), they should be beefing up their resumes as we speak.  I have a feeling that the odds for success in Austin aren't in Strong's favor.

rickm1976

Quote from: RollHogTide on December 30, 2014, 07:09:00 pm
If the "Big Cigars" will leave him alone, Coach Strong will make Texas relevant again - quickly.

The sad thing for Charlie is they WON'T leave him alone.  He won't be able to turn anything around until the whole culture surrounding the Longhorn team changes.

Pigsknuckles

Job security would be the first thing that comes to mind.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pigsknuckles

December 31, 2014, 03:03:58 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:15:35 pm by Pigsknuckles
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2014, 08:32:56 am
After ONE year?

uTerus is dumb but not THAT dumb..

Was talking assistants...

Might want to see this.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=584909.0
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BR

CBS Sports CFB ‏@CBSSportsCFB 1m1 minute ago

Staff changes at Texas: WR coach, TE coach 'relieved' of duties http://cbsprt.co/1CTUYtY

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"