Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are your 3 sweetest bowl wins to you?

Started by Ben, December 30, 2014, 02:48:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What were the most notable bowl wins to you? (Pick 3)

1947 Bluebonnet, William and Mary 21-19
1 (0.7%)
1959 Gator Bowl, Georgia Tech 14-7
0 (0%)
1964 Cotton Bowl, Nebraska 10-7
57 (38.5%)
1968 Sugar Bowl, Georgia 16-2
7 (4.7%)
1975 Cotton Bowl, Georgia 31-10
19 (12.8%)
1977 Orange Bowl, Oklahoma 31-7
111 (75%)
1980 Hall of Fame Bowl, Tulane 34-15
0 (0%)
1982 Bluebonnet Bowl, Florida 28-24
2 (1.4%)
1985 Holiday Bowl, Arizona State 18-17
2 (1.4%)
2000 Cotton Bowl, Texas 27-6
92 (62.2%)
2003 Independence bowl, Mizzouri 27-14
0 (0%)
2009 Liberty Bowl, East Carolina 20-17 ot
5 (3.4%)
2011 Cotton Bowl, Kansas State 29-16
46 (31.1%)
2014 Texas Bowl, Texas 31-7
81 (54.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Ben

We know obviously the 1964 Cotton bowl would reach #1, so with 3 choices, what would be your top bowl wins?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Mike_e

Last night's will make this list because it's fresh (and shiny) and of course any bowl game that get's us a natty would have to be tops but the beatdown of ou in '78 was pure joy.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Jborohog09

I've only been around for the last five wins so I went with the 2000 Cotton Bowl, 2012 Cotton Bowl, and last night. 

Ben

Quote from: Jborohog09 on December 30, 2014, 03:03:05 pm
I've only been around for the last five wins so I went with the 2000 Cotton Bowl, 2012 Cotton Bowl, and last night.
I was just thinking about you and using your vids to list out those wins lol you are awesome.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Ben on December 30, 2014, 03:08:11 pm
I was just thinking about you and using your vids to list out those wins lol you are awesome.

Haha I appreciate it.  I have every win from the 1978 Orange Bowl to last night.  Can't find the original broadcasts of any of the games before then.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WHITEPW

At my age i have to go with the first one i watched on TV with my dad 1985, the second was the 2000 cotton bowl,  the third went with the only one i ever attended 2012 cotton bowl.
Born in 78 dont remember alot of those earlier games.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ben on December 30, 2014, 02:48:48 pm
We know obviously the 1964 Cotton bowl would reach #1, so with 3 choices, what would be your top bowl wins?

77 Orange Bowl will be no.1, not 64 Cotton Bowl.

razorbacker3

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 30, 2014, 04:12:10 pm
77 Orange Bowl will be no.1, not 64 Cotton Bowl.

You probably correct but the 64 Cotton Bowl SHOULD be No.1 since it climaxed an undefeated season and No. 1 ranking!

Bacons Rebellion

With three kids at William & Mary, I gotta go with the 1947 Bluebonnet Bowl. It's the only win I can hold over them -- they lead the series with us 2-1. That's up from last place in this poll 5 years ago.

I also selected the 65 Cotton Bowl, but at the time it wasn't that big a deal to me. I was five and the Razorbacks ALWAYS won. Of course we beat Nebraska.

1977-78 I was a freshman, so the Orange Bowls gets my third vote.

Tejano Jawg

The first 2 bowls I remember were great ones—the '76 Cotton Bowl followed by the '78 Orange Bowl. That '75-'76 team is the first one where I knew every player, and it had lots of guys whose names are still known. And Holtz' first team, same thing, most of us could name a lot of those players. One of Arkansas' best teams ever.

The third one is kinda tough—and I'm just choosing between bowls in my football-watching lifetime. I went to 4 Cotton Bowl losses (so painful) and 2 wins (Texas in 2000 and K State in Cowboys Stadium). I will say, to no surprise, that Texas one was very sweet. That might have to be my Number 3.

Edit: I just saw Delta's list. Looks like we're in agreement.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

blu

I picked the top three vote getters - 77 Orange (OU), 00 Cotton (Texass), 14 Texas (Texass).
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

yraciv

I've only been around for 5 and only the 2000 Texas Bowl really meant anything to me. Sure I was at the only other big bowl win, but after we got our drumming at LSU it just seemed like a ho hum let down game for me that we were supposed to win. Liberty, Texas, & Independence too low to matter although I would say I was more thrilled with this win than say the 2011. 2000 it had been 15 years since we won one and it was unexpected, although any win over Texas is big in my books.

1. 1964- obviously
2. 1978 - We were 21 point underdogs and smoked the #2 team in the country. Who those of us that have lived on the border, happen to have to deal with.  And though it's not considered a national championship, a 5 way tie and ending the season at 3 is pretty damn close.

I may have not been a round for these, but no my history and these are far and away 1 and 2.

the donger

elksnort

78 Orange Bowl
75 Cotton Bowl
82 Blue Bonnet Bowl

pigture perfect

I went with 64 because of the championship. 78 orange because of the surprise and last, I went with last night because I was there to see for myself the destruction of the steers.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TNhogfan

75 Cotton Bowl - the national media had continually talked about Dooley's 'Junkyard Dogs' Defense and AR's offense had not seen anything like it.  The way AR manhandled UGA showed the Hogs had a great 'D' as well.

77 Orange Bowl - Sweet whipping OU and ruining their title hopes.

14 Texas Bowl - After the losing streak and the losing records, it is nice to be winning again.

KennyForAD

Quote from: razorbacker3 on December 30, 2014, 04:24:24 pm
You probably correct but the 64 Cotton Bowl SHOULD be No.1 since it climaxed an undefeated season and No. 1 ranking!

Maybe... But we were the best team in the NCAA by the end of the season and were totally disrespected.  OU and Arkansas had identical records, each only losing close games to Texas.  Texas lost the Cotton Bowl and ... all OU had to do was beat us and they would be concensus NC'?   But if we won?   They didn't even consider it a possibility.   W. T . H???   That was the day that Arkansas exposed the polls for the nonsense they are.