Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JJ Watt (Skipper stayed at OT)

Started by reddogjcss, December 30, 2014, 10:35:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

reddogjcss

Do u think Skipper could be moved to defense and be a JJ Watt?
He's very aggressive and may have the depth to give it a try next year!
Just a little outside the box thinking.

The Boar War

Interesting thought. But you wouldn't start a freshman on o line to change his position halfway though his eligibility.

razorback24

I'd think he would be too tall to play DE.

Cresthog

He's no where near athletic enough.

Derby might have been a decent shout tho.

The_Bionic_Pig

Randy Ramsey is the best case scenario size & speed!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LJHOG

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 30, 2014, 10:35:15 am
Do u think Skipper could be moved to defense and be a JJ Watt?
He's very aggressive and may have the depth to give it a try next year!
Just a little outside the box thinking.
He might be able to play defensive end, but he won't be a JJ Watt. Watt is the best D linemen I've seen in 50+ years.

urkillnmesmalls

No way...he doesn't have the speed.  He could block some passes though! 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

azhog10

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 30, 2014, 11:37:05 am
A 6'10 DE?
I think the idea of Skipper at DE is stupid. But Calaeis Campbell is 6'8 almost 6'9"

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback24 on December 30, 2014, 11:01:36 am

Tell that to NFL Hall of Fame defensive end Ed "Too Tall" Jones.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TN HOG

Quote from: azhog10 on December 30, 2014, 12:09:43 pm
I think the idea of Skipper at DE is stupid. But Calaeis Campbell is 6'8 almost 6'9"

I like your boldness, I just didn't say it. lol
Play like a Champion!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razorback24 on December 30, 2014, 11:01:36 am

No doubt... Just like Ed "Too Tall" Jones... It would never work...   ;)
+1 for not using to or two
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Cresthog on December 30, 2014, 11:05:05 am
He's no where near athletic enough.

Derby might have been a decent shout tho.
That dude needed 4 years here... He is athletic enough to make it in the NFL... I hope he gets into someone's training camp and gets a shot...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

urkillnmesmalls

No offense to Skipper, because I like the guy, but there is absolutely no way his speed and agility compares to JJ Watt, or any other DE in the NFL for that matter.  Guys...he has to work on his foot speed just to improve at pass blocking, so I struggle to understand why some of you think he could play DE.  NOT NEARLY FAST ENOUGH.  He can be a beast on the O-line though, and that's just fine by me.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

regi

In a word, NO. Not even close to being fast or athletic enough. He can  However be a very good tackle and most likely have a chance  to play on Sunday.

Don't get eat up with size (like the Hog fans that forever look at any 250 lb kid and want to move him to LB, since about 1978 around here I believe). Speed, agility, toughness, and vision are the keys to top level defensive players.

For an example, go back to the Texas attempt at a screen around midfield in 1st quarter last night. It was awful execution by Texas, but after 23 catches the ball, watch those 11 scalded Hogs run and close on that kid. It was impressive. After watching that play alone. I knew Texas had no chance, unless we had about 4 turnovers.

reddogjcss

Enjoyed reading comments. Thanks. I was just wondering!

Beaverfever

JJ Watt is on his way to being one of the best defensive players in the history of the NFL.  There's probably a little more to his success than being tall, white, and intense. 

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Wasn't Robert Brannon a DE when he played football for the hogs?  He was 6' 9".  As for Skipper. Given some comments about our ability to run screens from the coaching staff, I think he'd better stay on the offensive side of the ball instead of moving to a position that requires even more quickness and agility.

I like where he is now.

EFBAB

SquidBilly

Unless you're quick enough to avoid the offensive tackle getting his hands on you, playing DE at that height is a disaster.  That is where JJ Watt excels and where Skipper would be continually being dumped on his rear end by the tackle getting under his pads.

ReversePart34

No, Watt is an athletic freak of nature.

Pork Twain

What exactly does Skipper have in common with Watt besides his skin color?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

3of5-2

Tripping is against the rules on defense also.

Brer Hog

Watt was a TE at Central Michigan ad walked on at Wisky to play DE.  Watt was 1st rounder because he developed so in two years at Wisky.  He has continued to develop each year as a pro.  He is a testament to being all one can be and working everday to be the best man on the field. 

Rzrbk63

JJ Watt may be the best football player I have ever seen. What he does is amazing.