Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirkland to tackle?

Started by online-with-swine, December 30, 2014, 09:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

Did anyone else hear that last night?  I guess CBB told one of the announcers they were going to move him outside this year.  Interesting, what does this mean for Wallace, or, does mean anything?  ???

GalaHawg

I heard it as well... Would not be surprised if he is moved out to LT and Skipper to RT... Ragnow takes the RG spot. Wallace would be the first option for either tackle. That is quality depth.

ChicoHog

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 30, 2014, 09:54:28 am
I heard it as well... Would not be surprised if he is moved out to LT and Skipper to RT... Ragnow takes the RG spot. Wallace would be the first option for either tackle. That is quality depth.
I was thinking the same thing.  regardless he will likely go pro after next year. 

Reservoir Hogs

I thought that was interesting as well...
You have to think with all the praise that coach has put on Wallace that he will be in the starting 5 next year. 
I can't see Skipper being anywhere but Tackle since he is so tall.  Will be interesting to see who the best 5 are for next year.

AugustaHog

If Wallace is the freak we have heard he is, he will find the field.  DK can play either one and be dang good.  I could see Ragnow starting somewhere on that front either at C or G.  Depth is starting to get there.  We need a couple more nasties up front and we will be awesome across the 2 deep.

Theolesnort

Nothing wrong with a three man tackle rotation. In fact a very good thing.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

bigdaddyhawg

One of the great things about having Sam Pittman and Bret Bielema to coach our OL is that we never, ever have to worry if the OL is being run right.

I know some do second guess their decisions, but that just goes to show how idiotic some fans can be.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

SquidBilly

I think Smothers will have to have an outstanding spring and fall camp to hold off Ragnow for the starting spot at center.  That would leave Smothers to either move to RG as a starter or be the backup at the center or either guard position.  I think we'll see Skipper, Tretola, Ragnow, Wallace, and Kirkland starting across the line.

Styflin

It is possible we see the same rotation next season with Smothers/Rogers that we saw with Smothers/Ragnow this season. Ragnow will more than likely compete for the RG spot and DK probably ends up at RT.

Wallace coming off a Redshirt will be playing and rotating at both spots IMO. He will also be used in heavy packages like Cam Jefferson did this year.

If we land Weathersby in this recruiting class that will enable him to Redshirt but travel and stay off the scout team. Very much like Wallace did this season.

Josh Allen will come in and provide some competition for both backup G spots. More than likely will not be able to Redshirt Allen.

If we land Merrick I would expect him to contribute right away in G spots and maybe even in some tackle rotation. This is a prospect that can take the same kind of path that Skipper and Kirkland took. Get work at G and move to T later.

I think we are starting to see how our offensive line will be handled going forward. This is all my opinion of course.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 30, 2014, 10:19:32 am
One of the great things about having Sam Pittman and Bret Bielema to coach our OL is that we never, ever have to worry if the OL is being run right.

I know some do second guess their decisions, but that just goes to show how idiotic some fans can be.
not idiotic to have opinions (its part of being a fan) only idiotic if you think anyone cares about your opinion.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Paul

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 30, 2014, 02:20:59 pm
not idiotic to have opinions (its part of being a fan) only idiotic if you think anyone cares about your opinion.
Well said!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 30, 2014, 02:20:59 pm

I guess, but believing you, as a fan, actually know better how to do the OL deal better than those two combined is pretty freaking delusional.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Kevin

i think wallace may start off at guard. that seems the way pittman likes to do it.

add merrick & weathersby, this line is getting dangerous
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 30, 2014, 03:33:28 pm
Kirkland is going to play both Tackle and Guard at the same time, and it will be a terrifyingly awesome thing to witness. 

Awesome!  And we'll play w/o WR's, since we have none.  Imagine the trends we will set with that formation/offense.

ThisTeetsTaken

2015 O-Line:

LT Kirkland
LG Tretola
C Ragnow
RG Skipper
RT Wallace
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bulldog04

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 30, 2014, 08:28:39 pm
2015 O-Line:

LT Kirkland
LG Tretola
C Ragnow
RG Skipper
RT Wallace

Good lord.  Skipper is 6'10".  He's is a tackle not a guard.  Guards are smaller road grader types while tackles are long armed with quick feet.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 30, 2014, 08:30:51 pm
Good lord.  Skipper is 6'10".  He's is a tackle not a guard.  Guards are smaller road grader types while tackles are long armed with quick feet.

He played guard last year.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 30, 2014, 08:30:51 pm
What did he play last year?  Answer:guard.  Was better at guard than this year at tackle.  I think Pittman knows better than you what a guard looks like.

ChicoHog

Skipper did play guard last year.  Moved to tackle for this season. 

bulldog04

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 30, 2014, 08:33:14 pm
What did he play last year?  Answer:guard.  Was better at guard than this year at tackle.  I think Pittman knows better than you what a guard looks like.
Out of necessity.  CBB even said so.  How many 6'10" guards are out there?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 30, 2014, 08:34:37 pm
Out of necessity.  CBB even said so.  How many 6'10" guards are out there?
Out of necessity.  You're right.  And next year our best five on the field will have skipper at RG. 

bulldog04

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 30, 2014, 08:36:28 pm
Out of necessity.  You're right.  And next year our best five on the field will have skipper at RG. 
Then why is Kirkland playing guard this year and Skipper playing LT.  So they are just going to switch positions next year?  Skipper is not a guard or he would be there this year

Fayettechill14

Skipper isn't a natural left tackle (struggles with fast DEs) so moving him to right tackle makes sense. If Kirkland is better at LT then move him!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 30, 2014, 08:36:28 pm

RT is more likely for Skipper.

LSPRazorbac

I thought the announcer just got Kirkland's position mixed up and called him the tackle instead of the guard.