Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Collins (fresh legs)

Started by Mortgage Hog, December 30, 2014, 01:04:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortgage Hog

The reason why we need 3 backs in rotation. Amazing how much a little rest does for a back. He was so much quicker tonight than he has been all season (including the Texas Tech game)

SultanofSwine

Pork Twain

3rd guy might get 10ish touches a game...  We are fine and have talent signed up to play.  What we need is a change of pace back.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

ldfergu

I thought he looked really good returning kicks

Cresthog

I thought Williams looks a lot faster too.

Collins needs to stop running into his own blockers. Love his style but man, it looks like he runs with his eyes close a lot.

Williams is going to have a huge year next year.

hawgsalot

Was just about to post the exact same thing, amazing how good AC looked with his legs under him. 

oldman1015

Quote from: Cresthog on December 30, 2014, 08:30:24 am
I thought Williams looks a lot faster too.

Collins needs to stop running into his own blockers. Love his style but man, it looks like he runs with his eyes close a lot.

Williams is going to have a huge year next year.
wow that is the exact opposite of what i see with collins. i think he has great vision and turns 1 yd gains into 8 yd gains. he reminds me of emmit smith.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

memphishog

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 30, 2014, 08:34:30 am
wow that is the exact opposite of what i see with collins. i think he has great vision and turns 1 yd gains into 8 yd gains. he reminds me of emmit smith.

good call thats who i think of when i watch AC....Emmit Smith. and thats good company.

JayBell

Kody Walker should be good to go for a bigger load next year.  He'll be a senior.  Bielema and his staff love to give seniors every opportunity to go out on a high note.  He should get a few more of the short yardage runs next season.

I don't expect Rawleigh Williams or any other true freshman to come in and get much playing time.  What will be interesting is to see if Juan Day, Denzell Evans or even Damon Mitchell becomes a consistent third option for Arkansas.  I think Mitchell and Day have all of the tools, but I haven't heard much about how Day has progressed since his injury last year.

JayBell

I've been wanting Collins to return kicks since last year.  I remember how daunting it was for teams to kick off to Arkansas when DMac and Felix were back there.  I'd love for Collins, Williams and Cornelius to handle all of the return duties next year.

Hoggie17

This is what I see.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cresthog on December 30, 2014, 08:30:24 am

You have got to be kidding, right?

AC has perhaps the best vision and instinct to find openings of any back I've ever seen.

Have you ever heard that a back needs to keep his legs moving?  That's what he's doing, bouncing off linemen in an attempt to find a hole that's not there.

Would you prefer he just stop and stand still awaiting a hole to open?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

mlloyd4

I thought the same thing as well. 3 backs in the rotation is a must.
WPS

Hogfly

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 30, 2014, 09:00:41 am

AC has perhaps the best vision and instinct to find openings of any back I've ever seen.

Have you ever heard that a back needs to keep his legs moving?  That's what he's doing, bouncing off linemen in an attempt to find a hole that's not there.

Yeah. That comment must have been based on the commenters last night when Alex ran into his own man like 10 yards down field. They then went on and on about how linemen and fullbacks get scared and bruised when they have a back that's going to run into them all the time and they started talking about what a bruising punishing back AC is.... the only problem is that nothing they were saying really applied to AC's entire body of work. Everything they were saying described JWill much better.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Hogfly on December 30, 2014, 09:14:39 am
Yeah. That comment must have been based on the commenters last night when Alex ran into his own man like 10 yards down field. They then went on and on about how linemen and fullbacks get scared and bruised when they have a back that's going to run into them all the time and they started talking about what a bruising punishing back AC is.... the only problem is that nothing they were saying really applied to AC's entire body of work. Everything they were saying described JWill much better.

That's what I thought as well.  They kept talking, and I kept thinking they were saying the right things about the wrong guy. 

Cresthog

Any back you've seen? Really? Homer much?

He's good but I prefer Jwill when we really need yards. Collins gets caught at the line a lot, the goal line stands at Ole Miss stick out if memory serves me right. He's just not that explosive through the hole for whatever reason.

jacobp

Quote from: Cresthog on December 30, 2014, 09:57:56 am

He's good but I prefer Jwill when we really need yards. Collins gets caught at the line a lot, the goal line stands at Ole Miss stick out if memory serves me right. He's just not that explosive through the hole for whatever reason.
If you're using the goal line stands during the Ole Miss game as a reference, that was ALL on the O line. You can't explode through a hole that not only doesn't exist, but the O line gets pushed back two yards.

bigdaddyhawg

Eat crap on the homer comment.

And, yes, AC is not an explosive back.  He's got limitations for sure.

But he's got unbelievable vision to see a hole.  He's got great cutting quickness as well.

His speed is not that good, and he's not that powerful a runner either.

But he is a very good running back -- not great, but very solid.

Quote from: jacobp on December 30, 2014, 10:03:31 am
You can't explode through a hole that not only doesn't exist, but the O line gets pushed back two yards.

You homer.  ;-)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogsmo Kramer

AC has excellent vision.

If you can't see that then no need to discuss anymore since your lack of FB IQ will be a hindrance going forward.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hog Fan from Camden

Just thinking the same thing.  He runs into his blockers after he cannot maneuver any more adding a yard or 2 to his run.

urkillnmesmalls

I thought Alex was amazing last night.  Whatever hint of tip toeing had crept in was GONE.  I don't know if he was nicked up, or if he got some extra coaching or what, but he was running like a beast last night.  How he cuts that quickly and keeps momentum up is a gift, and can't be taught. 

I'm on record as saying I was concerned after the Mizzou game about him getting too reliant on lateral moves, but after last night...I take it back.  Dude was blowing people up. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hoggish1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2014, 11:53:22 am
I thought Alex was amazing last night.  Whatever hint of tip toeing had crept in was GONE. 

+1

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 30, 2014, 10:30:47 am
Eat crap on the homer comment.

And, yes, AC is not an explosive back.  He's got limitations for sure.

But he's got unbelievable vision to see a hole.  He's got great cutting quickness as well.

But he is a very good running back -- not great, but very solid.

You homer.  ;-)

Wow, did you watch the game last night?  He was darting, juking, and then running over people.  He never went backward from a hit.  I thought he looked like the back we all hope he will become last night, and he looked impressive.  On those sweeps....he was up to speed quickly, and hammered into defenders to finish runs.  If he runs like that every game next season...look out.

I had some concerns after the Ole Miss and Mizzou game, but that performance last night looked like he was possessed.  I can't recall seeing him hit the hole that hard in the past.  (in before, "that's what she said")   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mortgage Hog on December 30, 2014, 01:04:29 am
The reason why we need 3 backs in rotation. Amazing how much a little rest does for a back. He was so much quicker tonight than he has been all season (including the Texas Tech game)

Fresh focus and attitude... CBB made his point.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TMc

Now .., you and I agree on this.

WayneHawg

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 30, 2014, 08:09:33 amYes he did.Hopefully he can take that roll next year.

Fayettechill14

Gotta wonder if Denzell Evans can show enough in the spring to warrant a few carries per game. Maybe give him a series as the feature back late in the 2nd quarter or something.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 30, 2014, 01:16:33 pm
Wow, did you watch the game last night?  He was darting, juking, and then running over people.  He never went backward from a hit.  I thought he looked like the back we all hope he will become last night, and he looked impressive.  On those sweeps....he was up to speed quickly, and hammered into defenders to finish runs.  If he runs like that every game next season...look out.

I had some concerns after the Ole Miss and Mizzou game, but that performance last night looked like he was possessed.  I can't recall seeing him hit the hole that hard in the past.  (in before, "that's what she said")   

Within several posts I went from being chided for giving Alex too much praise to being chided for not giving him enough praise.

Only on Hogville ...  :)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 30, 2014, 10:44:10 pm
Within several posts I went from being chided for giving Alex too much praise to being chided for not giving him enough praise.

Only on Hogville ...  :)

Well, stop waffling.   ;)

I did the same thing, but it spanned a few weeks.  I didn't like how he ran against Mizzou and Ole Miss, but there may have been some nagging injuries or things we didn't know about.  All I know is...he was delivering the blows and running harder than I've seen him run in that UT game. 

Based on that game, I couldn't find a single thing to complain about.  Seriously.  I thought he ran as good as any back could have. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 30, 2014, 08:09:33 am

Me, too. Pleasantly surprised.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2014, 11:19:22 am
Well, stop waffling.   ;)

I did the same thing, but it spanned a few weeks.  I didn't like how he ran against Mizzou and Ole Miss, but there may have been some nagging injuries or things we didn't know about.  All I know is...he was delivering the blows and running harder than I've seen him run in that UT game. 

Based on that game, I couldn't find a single thing to complain about.  Seriously.  I thought he ran as good as any back could have. 

I thought he ran great against UT.  I sent a text to my son during the game talking about how I couldn't understand how some fans rag on AC.

I think he's got very special talents.  His vision/ability to see a hole is next level.  And he's got great quickness to make people miss.

I love him.

But his deficiencies are real, too.  He's not very fast, and although he's got decent power for a kid his size, you can't really call him a power back.

Still, I think he'll continue to get 1000+ yards each season he's a Hog, and that's pretty impressive IMO.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 30, 2014, 10:30:47 am
AC is not an explosive back.  He's got limitations for sure.

You just described Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 31, 2014, 11:36:27 am

That's my point exactly.  VERY few backs can run away from corners and safeties...VERY few.  We see all but the absolute best backs get caught from behind by those guys at every level.  McFadden could do it, but he was a freak.  Knile could too, but he doesn't have the lateral speed AC has.   

As far as power goes, Payton would lower his pads, but he would also go out of bounds when he knew the run was over.  That helped his longevity.  Smith found ways to play even when he had shoulders that were held together with duct tape and chicken wire, and he wasn't going to run over anyone OR outrun anyone.  He was just shifty enough that very rarely did people get a solid hit on him, and he had amazing vision and balance.  Barry Sanders...not a power back either, but one of the most entertaining to watch.  AC has a little of that lateral movement that he had, although obviously not as quick.   

I think AC is a great back.  BB has referenced his work ethic more than once, and I hope he's developing to his full potential.  The truth is, in the NFL, backs are commodities and the successful ones...are simply the ones who run behind good O-lines for the most part, with very few exceptions. 

WooPig90

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 30, 2014, 08:53:09 pm
Gotta wonder if Denzell Evans can show enough in the spring to warrant a few carries per game. Maybe give him a series as the feature back late in the 2nd quarter or something.

I think Juan Day will be the 3rd RB most of the year next year

razorbeck

dont we also still have Juan Day that red-shirted this year.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 31, 2014, 11:36:27 am

Walter had pretty good speed, but I agree 100% re: his comparisons to Emmitt.  IMO they are so similar it's uncanny.

Still, AC takes lots of crap from some fans, which I just don't get.