Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

59 Yards!!!

Started by Danny J, December 29, 2014, 11:21:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Amazing what Robb Smith has done. Right now...not at the beginning of the season but right now we have bar none the best defense in college football. I would not trade our defense for Smart or Bama's current defense. I mean that sincerely. I NEVER thought I would say that. Unreal.

Potosihog

And almost half of that was when we were playing prevent defense at the end  of the game.

Danny J

Quote from: Potosihog on December 29, 2014, 11:22:45 pm
And almost half of that was when we were playing prevent defense at the end  of the game.
Yep....when they had the ball on that last possession they had 25 yards.

RazorSax

We need to lock him up. I imagine many teams will be interested in the off season.

dsgreen

I was really hoping they could hold them under 50 so Texas could have a new school record.

Danny J

Quote from: RazorSax on December 29, 2014, 11:24:17 pm
We need to lock him up. I imagine many teams will be interested in the off season.
No question.....pay the man what he wants. Pay the entire defensive staff what they want to keep them fat and happy. What a great job by our entire D staff.

blu

The transformation in our secondary has been nothing short of amazing.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

thefisher

All the haters that did not believe in CBB's decision to hire a division 2 level defensive coordinator when CBB knew exactly what he was doing can now officially bite me!

Robert Shields is the first in line!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Danny J

Quote from: blu on December 29, 2014, 11:26:38 pm
The transformation in our secondary has been nothing short of amazing.
Yes it has.....

The Boar War

Quote from: dsgreen on December 29, 2014, 11:25:04 pm
I was really hoping they could hold them under 50 so Texas could have a new school record.

I know they were so close.  Would have loved to see Arkansas hold UT to their lowest yardage ever.

Danny J

I am still in shock at the total turnaround of this defense.

Biggus Piggus

This was the first Arkansas-Texas game I have ever seen where the Razorbacks totally outclassed the Longhorns across the board. Awesome to behold.
[CENSORED]!

yraciv

Quote from: thefisher on December 29, 2014, 11:28:04 pm
All the haters that did not believe in CBB's decision to hire a division 2 level defensive coordinator when CBB knew exactly what he was doing can now officially bite me!

D2 level is a bit a stretch of the truth.  We knew coming in he had a Top 10 defensive season under his belt at Rutgers and had coached in the NFL.  Still what he has done is nothing short of amazing, and no one could have imagined this in year 2.

TexHog188

Wine bottles will break tonight in Austin, count on it!
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Jek Tono Porkins

Hats off to Rory segrest as well. D line was pressuring the qb all night
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Danny J

We did to them almost exactly what we did to Texas Tech....

hawgwash

Quote from: yraciv on December 29, 2014, 11:36:34 pm
D2 level is a bit a stretch of the truth.  We knew coming in he had a Top 10 defensive season under his belt at Rutgers and had coached in the NFL.  Still what he has done is nothing short of amazing, and no one could have imagined this in year 2.
Actually, for him it was Year 1.  And the same for Jennings and Segrest.

HogFanatic

Texas finished with TWO yards rushing and 1.8 yards per play.
LMAO

I understand their fans are pretty pissed off right now, but I think once they let this junkpunching set in for a little bit and look at the stats they are going to blow a gasket.

Danny J

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 29, 2014, 11:45:22 pm
Texas finished with TWO yards rushing and 1.8 yards per play.
LMAO

I understand their fans are pretty pissed off right now, but I think once they let this junkpunching set in for a little bit and look at the stats they are going to blow a gasket.
I know I would....I mean 59 yards? Two supposedly evenly matched teams on a neutral site? That was an asswhuppin' of epic proportions. It could have been even worse.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Danny J on December 29, 2014, 11:49:06 pm
I know I would....I mean 59 yards? Two supposedly evenly matched teams on a neutral site? That was an asswhuppin' of epic proportions. It could have been even worse.

Charlie Strong is pretty pissed I take it.
I guess he "said something in the locker room that he will probably regret later."

Sounds like they have officially given up on Swoopes too.
Arkansas just took that team's manhood.

moses_007

Texas has absolutely the very worst major college quarterback in history. 

Oklahawg

Masterful planning by defensive coaches.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

orvillesghost

Swoopes makes Peanut Adams look like Joe Montana....

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

My butt was planted in a seat the Cotton Bowl in 1989 when my 10-0 Hogs had 42 yards of total offense against 8-2 UCLA... and it sucked.

If it were anyone but Texas in this stat situation, I would feel bad for them.  As it is, however, it is to laugh.

WOOOOooooooo.... PIG, SOOIE!

Calling All Hogs

The Texas football program inches forward. Literally.

jkstock04

I couldn't be more happy with the way our defense progressed throughout the season. Definitely something to hang your hat on.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

lechon

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 29, 2014, 11:51:54 pm
Charlie Strong is pretty pissed I take it.
I guess he "said something in the locker room that he will probably regret later."

Sounds like they have officially given up on Swoopes too.
Arkansas just took that team's manhood.

what did he say ?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Joe Davis (USS Razorback) on December 30, 2014, 12:22:44 am
My butt was planted in a seat the Cotton Bowl in 1989 when my 10-0 Hogs had 42 yards of total offense against 8-2 UCLA... and it sucked.

Quinn G mentioned this on the radio post-game show. Said it was nice to see that kind of game on the good side. And, by the way Joe, my butt was there too. And it did suck.

Quote from: dsgreen on December 29, 2014, 11:25:04 pm

Hopefully SIXTY-FIVE YEARS will be good enough. That's how long it's been since Texas has had such a low offensive performance. That's pretty impressive, given some epic losses they've had (like the 66-3 loss to UCLA in 1997.)

Bravo D!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

redeye

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 30, 2014, 01:19:10 am
Hopefully SIXTY-FIVE YEARS will be good enough. That's how long it's been since Texas has had such a low offensive performance. That's pretty impressive, given some epic losses they've had (like the 66-3 loss to UCLA in 1997.)

Bravo D!

I saw a tweet saying the lowest total in their history was in the forties against Southwestern.  Think it said they had 43 yards.  Too bad we didn't hold them to less.

HAM ELLIOT

Keep in mind that 30 of those yards were from Strong walking to midfield to shake BB's hand after the game was over...  Strong himself had more yards than his team did!  lmao

Jamie Jones

CBB had to replace 3 of 4 defensive coaches this past offseason. To say they did a great job is a true understatement. This team is a year ahead of schedule. With all the talk of the 0-17 streak, tonight was the official announcement that Hog football is back. It wasn't the turning point, LSU was, but that dominating trench work is what will catapult us into the rankings next season. Bret Bielema has just served notice to his contemporaries...he is here, in the SEC, to do what no other coach has done on The Hill! He said when he arrived, and now he is showing that he meant what he said.

Special thanks should go to Coach Randy Shannon. Having him on our staff as the Ass. HC has opened many recruiting doors. I hope Coach Shannon stays until he retires.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Pigsknuckles

December 30, 2014, 07:07:41 am #31 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:22:26 am by Pigsknuckles
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Boarcephus

Could someone explain to me one more time while he was not a finalist for the Broyles Award??
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Danny J on December 29, 2014, 11:32:33 pm
I am still in shock at the total turnaround of this defense.
The biggest part of the turnaround is that he's simplified the scheme. Yes they do tackle better but when you don't have to think about where you're suppose to be so much it helps out tremendous and that's really all he's done and I love it...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Danny J

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 30, 2014, 07:23:05 am
The biggest part of the turnaround is that he's simplified the scheme. Yes they do tackle better but when you don't have to think about where you're suppose to be so much it helps out tremendous and that's really all he's done and I love it...
I agree and will also point out that Spaight and his ability to get the D in the right position has to be mentioned. When Ellis went down with his injury Spaight took over his role of getting the D into the right defense. He did so well that he took it over for the season. I don't think that should be lost on anybody. Watch his tape starting about mid-season and notice the changes he makes as the offense checks at the line. He reads it and gets the D in their right alignments.

I will also mention this....Spaight led the SEC in tackles. With the schedule we played, toughest in the SEC/country, that is saying something HOWEVER that only tells a bit of the story. This is the amazing part...he led the SEC in tackles while the offense possessed the ball more than any other team in the SEC and second most nationally which means he literally had the fewest opportunities than any other tackler in the SEC to make tackles and still led the league in tackles. Think about that for a minute.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2014, 07:16:02 am
Could someone explain to me one more time while he was not a finalist for the Broyles Award??

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Chief Mac

Quote from: thefisher on December 29, 2014, 11:28:04 pm

Not gonna bite you but I did eat my crow after the LSU game.   I was a jackwagon now I'm the president of the Robb Smith fan club :D
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

JT_Dav

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2014, 07:16:02 am

Only 6 regular season wins.  All of the guys in the conversation were assistants to teams that were in the conversation for the Playoff and some guy from Mizzou.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 29, 2014, 11:35:07 pm
This was the first Arkansas-Texas game I have ever seen where the Razorbacks totally outclassed the Longhorns across the board. Awesome to behold.

The 2000 Cotton Bowl game was pretty good .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KennyForAD

December 30, 2014, 08:54:41 pm #40 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:08:37 pm by KennyForAD

2003 in Austin
2000 Cotton Bowl

And there has never been a worse arse kicking than the one we gave in 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQ885vETTo

HogFanatic

Quote from: lechon on December 30, 2014, 12:30:46 am
what did he say ?

The cliff notes:

"Embarrassing loss. Program deserves better. I have a message for my team, and I need to hold my tongue before I say something I will regret later on. Quarterback position is open."

He couldn't even look Bielema in the eye after the game.
Epic

Arkansas Fan

Proud of the defense and their performance, but it was against a bad Texas offense.

RollHogTide

The Razorback's had the best defensive front seven in the nation at the close of the season. 

Pudgepork

I'm betting they are having to give Swoopes some therapy and sleeping pills so he can rest.  I think he'll feel pressure from Philon and Flowers for months.  Suffering from PTSD for sure

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Danny J on December 30, 2014, 08:21:49 pm
I agree and will also point out that Spaight and his ability to get the D in the right position has to be mentioned. When Ellis went down with his injury Spaight took over his role of getting the D into the right defense. He did so well that he took it over for the season. I don't think that should be lost on anybody. Watch his tape starting about mid-season and notice the changes he makes as the offense checks at the line. He reads it and gets the D in their right alignments.

I will also mention this....Spaight led the SEC in tackles. With the schedule we played, toughest in the SEC/country, that is saying something HOWEVER that only tells a bit of the story. This is the amazing part...he led the SEC in tackles while the offense possessed the ball more than any other team in the SEC and second most nationally which means he literally had the fewest opportunities than any other tackler in the SEC to make tackles and still led the league in tackles. Think about that for a minute.

Beautifully said and right on point. He is/was a goodun'.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

bigredone

Sad that the interception return yardage doesn't count against the offensive stats. It is not like a punt. They actually had like 13 positive yards as a result of their offense.

Inhogswetrust

I've seen it four times, but I'm old and seeing it never gets old!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi