Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yawn! Wrestling sucks

Started by Lanny, April 03, 2014, 03:24:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

I remember watching the days with MidSouth in the morning,followed by Memphis Wrestling at noon,  TBS at 6:05 and World Class on cable 39 at 10:00.  The good ole days of wrestling when it was real!  ha

Give me Ravishing Rick Rude, the four horsemen, The Spoiler, King Kong Bundy over this bunch of clowns on today.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Hog1966

Blade Runners ruled!!!

And don't forget about AWA at 3p.m on ESPN.

pigture perfect

Agreed. I miss bruiser Brody and Maniac Mark Lewellen.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hvsupastar

I wish I would have been old enough to watch the territories. I am thankful I grew through the Monday night wars though
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

fantana

Prime time wrestling on USA sunday mornings, UWF on Saturday mornings, AWA on espn friday nights, saturday night main event,  mid south Saturday mornngs...late 80s were good times

hogsanity

I remember WCCW from Dallas on Sat nights at 10pm on chan 11 out of dallas ( one of the 1st superstations, as early as 1975.  The Von Erichs, Free Birds, The great Kabuki(sp), JYD and others. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Kerry Von Eric and the Iron Claw.  Ice Man King Parsons. That was wrestling. 

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 10:28:53 am
Kerry Von Eric and the Iron Claw.  Ice Man King Parsons. That was wrestling.

I am sure my 11 year old thinks now about wwe, Cena, Kofi, etc like I did then, when I was 11, about the guys we remember.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Thank goodness for You Tube you can watch hours of classis 1980's Wrestling .

Baby Doll slugging Jim Cornett is Classic.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Eddie Goodson

Am I the only one who remembers TV shows as only consisting of squash matches with unknown jobbers and a few promos? The only thing that made then more special than now is that we could count on them being local once a month for live action. That is what made it so great. We had more up close interaction. That is what made it so good. Squash matches against the same jobbers every week wasn't great TV. The TV product today is so superior to the product of the territory era it is even funny. The matches we get on TV today only happened in select live events then and certainly never happened on TV. We've lost the regular personal interaction and that is what we romanticize about.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

hogsanity

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on April 08, 2014, 01:23:01 pm
Am I the only one who remembers TV shows as only consisting of squash matches with unknown jobbers and a few promos? The only thing that made then more special than now is that we could count on them being local once a month for live action. That is what made it so great. We had more up close interaction. That is what made it so good. Squash matches against the same jobbers every week wasn't great TV. The TV product today is so superior to the product of the territory era it is even funny. The matches we get on TV today only happened in select live events then and certainly never happened on TV. We've lost the regular personal interaction and that is what we romanticize about.

I remember lots of good matches on tv, Kerry Von Erich against Flair many times.  The Von Erichs against the free birds.  The Great Kabuki against jyd.  Just to name a few.  Did not get mid south in Fort SMith except sporadically but seem to remember some good matches on there when it was on.

Now, when WWF began to become national, those shows were basically garbage except for one big match, busince they were beginning to go national, they knew they had to use tv to build the personas to drive ticket sales for live shows and later on ppv's.

Big Papa Satan

Arn and Ole, Arn and Tully.  The Briscos, Flair, Steamboat in sixty minute matches.  Magnum TA.  Man, that guy was a hall of famer waiting to happen.

DeltaBoy

I got a shirt ruined at Barton Coliseum when we got Ring side seats to watch the Rock n Roll Express take on the Midnight Express in a Barbed wire Ring match.  We got there early and watched as the Staff wrapped the ropes with brand new Barbed Wire.  During the Match they came out of the ring and Jimmy Cornett got KOed with a steel chair that my friend was sitting in 10 seconds before.  My White Western Shirt looked like I had skinned out a mess of squirrels with it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Lanny on April 03, 2014, 03:24:14 pm
I remember watching the days with MidSouth in the morning,followed by Memphis Wrestling at noon,  TBS at 6:05 and World Class on cable 39 at 10:00.  The good ole days of wrestling when it was real!  ha

Give me Ravishing Rick Rude, the four horsemen, The Spoiler, King Kong Bundy over this bunch of clowns on today.

Jerry Lawler and Tommy Rich had a great feud in and around Memphis one season.  They tied up one Monday night and went all over the Mid-South Coliseum.  In the concession stands, janitor closets, bathrooms, locker rooms.  They showed it the next Saturday on the tv5 show.  I will never forget watching that, knowing it was basically fake, but still marveling at how well they sold it.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on May 28, 2014, 06:23:39 pm
Best video on YouTube

Why didn't big Lou ever try his hand at wrestling?  Was it cuz hogan stole his name?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

LSUFan

Quote from: Lanny on April 03, 2014, 03:24:14 pm

I'll have you know, I personally shook Hacksaw Jim Duggins' hand in the Centroplex in Baton Rouge in 19 & 81 and he looked me dead in the eye and said, "Wrasslin's Real Boy!"

Just before JYD popped him with a chair!

It was a Bob Wire match.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: LSUFan on May 29, 2014, 01:07:05 am
I'll have you know, I personally shook Hacksaw Jim Duggins' hand in the Centroplex in Baton Rouge in 19 & 81 and he looked me dead in the eye and said, "Wrasslin's Real Boy!"

It was a Bob Wire match.

Hacksaw and JYD?

Louisiana's weed supply took a large drop later that night.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on May 29, 2014, 01:07:05 am

It was a Bob Wire match.

Hacksaw was in a show down in Ferriday one night in the early 80's.  He was driving back home and some boys from Jonesville run him off the road and was gonna whoop him.  He left all 3 of them laying on side of the road and went on home towards Alexandria.  The cops had to go catch him and bring him back to finish out the police report.  (I bet those boys thought wresslin's was real from then on)
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hogwop

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 28, 2014, 10:00:30 pm
Why didn't big Lou ever try his hand at wrestling?  Was it cuz hogan stole his name?

save yourself some time and just watch the beginning (first 40 seconds or so) of the video

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 29, 2014, 10:32:54 am
Hacksaw was in a show down in Ferriday one night in the early 80's.  He was driving back home and some boys from Jonesville run him off the road and was gonna whoop him.  He left all 3 of them laying on side of the road and went on home towards Alexandria.  The cops had to go catch him and bring him back to finish out the police report.  (I bet those boys thought wresslin's was real from then on)

Ever listened to Cornette shoot on the riots he had to put up with in Louisville (i think?)?
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Eddie Goodson

I have heard Jim Ross, Michael Hayes, and several other wrestlers all say Alexandria, LA was the most violent fanbase they had ever seen. Wrestlers had to park their cars at the police station and be taken by law enforcement  to the arena just to be able to get in the building. And it was all because the fans there so loved JYD they would try to whip any wrestlers who opposed him.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Hogwop

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on May 29, 2014, 01:55:38 pm
I have heard Jim Ross, Michael Hayes, and several other wrestlers all say Alexandria, LA was the most violent fanbase they had ever seen. Wrestlers had to park their cars at the police station and be taken by law enforcement  to the arena just to be able to get in the building. And it was all because the fans there so loved JYD they would try to whip any wrestlers who opposed him.

I'd believe it, (who didn't love JYD?) but, yeah, I've heard some crazy stories about the crowds back in the day.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

LSUFan

I remember as a kid, we all loved JYD. He was always good to us and never made us kids feel like we were bothering him and would always sign autographs.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

TheRazorback500

I'd rather see the Necro Butcher knock hell out of somebody with a fluorescent tube.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Mick Hogger

Back when I lived in Dallas, "Gentleman" Chris Adams lived in my apartments. He drove a old gas guzzler lead sled and mostly hung out at the pool in the afternoons when he wasn't working. I remember one time in the storyline he got beat up and put in the hospital and I started poking at him about it out at the pool by teasing him about not having his cast on.

Also saw Kerry Von Erich at the park playing frisbee with a couple of hotties. The Von Erichs ruled Dallas at that time. They were on local TV commercials all the time and were like rock stars. Just saw where Kevin's 2 sons are about to join TNA. Can't believe he'd allow his family into that lifestyle but he's probably nothing like his dad. His daughter is smoking hot too.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

husker71

territories ruled back in the day.  In the morning wrestling from right around here  then on to Oklahoma/Texas ,  then sometimes wrestling from NYC territory, then from Atlanta   all this was happening in the early days of cable.   

Hogwop

Pigga what?!

motownhog

I have tried to watch today's product and I just can't get into it. By wrestling terms I would be considered there prime audience, but I cannot watch it. I'm 33 but I enjoy the territory days, old WCW and the Attitude Era.
I'm a grandson of the southland boys, an heir to the confederacy