Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 10, 2024, 10:28:14 am

We are in real danger

Started by hawgon, September 25, 2017, 10:29:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Arkansas is at a crossroads as surely as it was when Broyles made the decision to go to the SEC.  The difference is that JFB was visionary and could see that the SWC was dying and he needed to make a move to secure our future.  Plus, his number one priority was the well being of Arkansas.

Today, we seem financially well off, but he winds of change are blowing.  ESPN is disintegrating and the SEC product on the field is tanking.  Will that massive television contract be there in the future?  If not, what then? 

The best thing we can do is to win and to win enough that Arkansas is seen as an asset to any league and/or profit sharing arrangement.  We don't have the population in either size or affluence to do it any other way.

We've got to get back on our feet NOW.  If we are a still a bottom feeder in five years, it might be too late.  For lots of reasons I feel as though we are teetering on the edge of an abyss and none of the leadership seems to get it or care.

hobhog

ricepig

Shut her down, shut it all down.........

carolinahogger

Quote from: hawgon on September 25, 2017, 10:29:15 am
Arkansas is at a crossroads as surely as it was when Broyles made the decision to go to the SEC.  The difference is that JFB was visionary and could see that the SWC was dying and he needed to make a move to secure our future.  Plus, his number one priority was the well being of Arkansas.

Today, we seem financially well off, but he winds of change are blowing.  ESPN is disintegrating and the SEC product on the field is tanking.  Will that massive television contract be there in the future?  If not, what then? 

The best thing we can do is to win and to win enough that Arkansas is seen as an asset to any league and/or profit sharing arrangement.  We don't have the population in either size or affluence to do it any other way.

We've got to get back on our feet NOW.  If we are a still a bottom feeder in five years, it might be too late.  For lots of reasons I feel as though we are teetering on the edge of an abyss and none of the leadership seems to get it or care.

Relax.  The top programs will always want a few easy wins on their conference schedules.

Count Hogula

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 10:50:50 am

Arkansas is it's own worst enemy. Always was, always will be...

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 10:50:50 am

If you are indicative of the thinking up there, they may as well.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on September 25, 2017, 10:48:55 am
Wow. Such drama.

drama is not quite the word I'd use. I'd choose a word with one less letter and starts with s.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jmark

we need to at least stay up with s Carolina

crossroads is a pretty good description
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

gchamblee

lol. So now the SEC is folding within the next decade? This has to be a troll thread haha.

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 11:15:53 am
lol. So now the SEC is folding within the next decade? This has to be a troll thread haha.

No, of course not.  But the massive amount of television money is going away.  It might get replaced with something else or it might not. 

The NewEra

Look Chicken Little, The Sky is Falling!

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on September 25, 2017, 11:18:38 am
No, of course not.  But the massive amount of television money is going away.  It might get replaced with something else or it might not. 

But IF the tv money goes down ( it isnt going away ) it will go down for everyone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on September 25, 2017, 11:18:38 am

If the SEC Network deal is worth less money a decade from now and it is still comprised of the same teams it is right now, all conference network deals will be worth less money. The money doesn't follow the winning, it follows the viewers, and in the south football viewership is not something that is in jeopardy.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 25, 2017, 11:08:54 am
If you are indicative of the thinking up there, they may as well.

Lol, you take yourself and opinions way too serious. You obviously don't watch many movies, old or new.

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 11:21:41 am
If the SEC Network deal is worth less money a decade from now and it is still comprised of the same teams it is right now, all conference network deals will be worth less money. The money doesn't follow the winning, it follows the viewers, and in the south football viewership is not something that is in jeopardy.

And what if Alabama and the others take an approach more like that one Texas has?  The SEC has been good about equal revenue sharing but I suspect the future will be more about direct viewership on the net.  Hard to see how revenue would be shared equally there.

The only thing that separates Arkansas from lots of other historic also rans was a winning tradition and visionary leadership. 

Athog

Quote from: carolinahogger on September 25, 2017, 11:03:13 am
Relax.  The top programs will always want a few easy wins on their conference schedules.

And we will always have second rate fans!!

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 11:10:45 am
drama is not quite the word I'd use. I'd choose a word with one less letter and starts with s.

Nobody said there would be a word quiz. Damn....

SRAM?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hawgon on September 25, 2017, 10:29:15 am

Obviously some of the folks in this thread are dismissing the whole of your post.  That would be a mistake, IMO.

Not sure about the crossroads comment or about being dispelled from the SEC.  Of course anything is possible, I guess.

I do think a reduction, and maybe a significant one, in broadcast money is a certainty; probably within three to five years.  Don't have a clue how, overall, that would affect the U of A athletic department.

But, if we were to get hit with a forty to fifty percent reduction in SEC money how would that affect the athletic department's ability to service bond debt and maintain support for the nineteen or so programs administered by the department?

darned sure something we as Razorback fans should be aware of.

hobhog

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on September 25, 2017, 11:55:17 am
Obviously some of the folks in this thread are dismissing the whole of your post.  That would be a mistake, IMO.

Not sure about the crossroads comment or about being dispelled from the SEC.  Of course anything is possible, I guess.

I do think a reduction, and maybe a significant one, in broadcast money is a certainty; probably within three to five years.  Don't have a clue how, overall, that would affect the U of A athletic department.

But, if we were to get hit with a forty to fifty percent reduction in SEC money how would that affect the athletic department's ability to service bond debt and maintain support for the nineteen or so programs administered by the department?

darned sure something we as Razorback fans should be aware of.

This issue is not unique to Arkansas.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hobhog on September 25, 2017, 12:01:45 pm
This issue is not unique to Arkansas.

But, I'm not worried about anyone other university not named Arkansas.  A reduction in SEC money for the rest of the league has nothing to do with how it would affect the operations of the U of A Athletic Department. 

The question I will repeat, generally, is:  How will the Razorback Athletic Department remain solvent with a significant reduction in TV money, which is going to happen sooner than later. 

And does Long have the vision Broyles had?  Not not many do.