Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports pet peeves...

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 28, 2017, 06:45:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

USChog

Um, a pet peeve ia not an excuse tobe sexist. A woman can analyze and comment on football just as well as a man. Being annoyed by people being late, or eating food off your plate, or poor customer service is a pet peeve
Disliking a woman doing a job is misogynistic. Some of y'all are stuck in the dark ages. Sheesh. 

pigbacon

Quote from: USChog on December 31, 2017, 03:03:03 pm
Um, a pet peeve ia not an excuse tobe sexist. A woman can analyze and comment on football just as well as a man. Being annoyed by people being late, or eating food off your plate, or poor customer service is a pet peeve
Disliking a woman doing a job is misogynistic. Some of y'all are stuck in the dark ages. Sheesh.

Not following. I wouldn't ask my literature/composition teacher to evaluate my physics homework and give insight to the methods to solve problems...or vice versa.

What is more sexist is using female commentators to draw an audience that otherwise wouldn't give two rips, or hiring them just to show "hey, look at us...we are diverse."  EOE is not equal.

Flame away.

USChog

Quote from: pigbacon on December 31, 2017, 04:30:32 pm
Not following. I wouldn't ask my literature/composition teacher to evaluate my physics homework and give insight to the methods to solve problems...or vice versa.

What is more sexist is using female commentators to draw an audience that otherwise wouldn't give two rips, or hiring them just to show "hey, look at us...we are diverse."  EOE is not equal.

Flame away.

Your analogy is flawed. My physics teacher never has to have been on a rocket to know how it works. Thus a woman never has to have played football to know all about the game
What your analogy is saying is you wouldn't want someone who studies one subject to comment on another.

John Clayton never played in the NFL, but he is a damn good analyst. You can justify sexism however you want.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: USChog on December 31, 2017, 04:50:58 pm
Your analogy is flawed. My physics teacher never has to have been on a rocket to know how it works. Thus a woman never has to have played football to know all about the game
What your analogy is saying is you wouldn't want someone who studies one subject to comment on another.

John Clayton never played in the NFL, but he is a damn good analyst. You can justify sexism however you want.

Or attempt to
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

pigbacon

Quote from: USChog on December 31, 2017, 04:50:58 pm

So maybe my analogy was bad.

But maybe your assumption is flawed that because someone prefers a male commentator on a sport which has predominately male participation/audience makes them "sexist".

My wife prefers a female gynecologist because she wants someone who understands her body more than just what they' learned and studied from a textbook and journals. I guess that makes her "sexist".

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: pigbacon on December 31, 2017, 05:18:38 pm

But maybe your assumption is flawed that because someone prefers a male commentator on a sport which has predominately male participation/audience makes them "sexist".

My wife prefers a female gynecologist because she wants someone who understands her body more than just what they' learned and studied from a textbook and journals. I guess that makes her "sexist".

Sort of.

USChog

Quote from: pigbacon on December 31, 2017, 05:18:38 pm

Well the question wasn't what is your preference, the question was what is your pet peeve?

You are allowed to have a prefernce one way or the other, but if your wife said male gynos annoying me to no end, then yes that would be sexist.

Like I said man, you can justify it however you want.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: USChog on December 31, 2017, 03:03:03 pm
Quote from: USChog on December 31, 2017, 06:53:16 pm
Well the question wasn't what is your preference, the question was what is your pet peeve?

You are allowed to have a prefernce one way or the other, but if your wife said male gynos annoying me to no end, then yes that would be sexist.

Like I said man, you can justify it however you want.

I'm not trying to justify anything.  I'm sorry I upset your heightened sensibilities.

I am sexist. 

I believe women CAN do almost anything a man can do.  I believe that men CAN do almost anything women can do.  Now, it is just my opinion and personal preference, but I believe that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you should or need to.

You know, just because one CAN highjack a thread doesn't mean one should or needs to...to make a PC point.

I know we are all suppose to play in the same sandbox wearing each other's clothes now days, but I still kind of like differences and roles.

I still mow the lawn, my wife still vacuums. I still open doors, drive when we go some where together, pay the check at restaurants, and don't let people use foul language in front of her.  Oddly, my wife loves all of that.

My wife works, makes more money than I do (which I REALLY love) and should make more.  I believe in pay equality and treating everyone equally.

I have two daughters that I tell that they can be whatever they want to be.  However, just because they CAN do something doesn't mean that they should.

Be a doctor, a lawyer, a CEO, be anything you want to be...but I prefer to not have Fran the Nanny doing play by play.  My wife and I were talking about this and told her that maybe if she sounded like Marilynn Monroe singing "Happy Birthday Mr. President" doing play by play I might like it better than a man's voice.  I know, I know, how masogynistic of me.

If it makes you feel better, I also prefer women nurses.

So, just because you want to blend gender roles doesn't mean I have to when it comes to football.  So...label me what you will...but maybe next time start your own thread to do it.
Retired Radio Host

HogFanOSU

The "partially deflected kick or pass", what the heck is that?  It is either deflected off its intended line or not.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 30, 2017, 08:47:46 pm
It used to be a penalty. It was called "aiding the runner."  I agree with you.

Looks like rugby.

flynhog

TV timeouts.
Mouthy Redneck White trash drunks in the stands that ruin the experience.
Players that actually walk out of the locker room onto the field before the opening kickoff.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 31, 2017, 11:44:07 pm
Looks like rugby.

I agree.  I hate the new rule. 

Early in football's history they outlawed the "scrum" because so many players were getting hurt and killed.  You should read up on how Teddy Roosevelt saved football.  Not my words, words of an article I read some time back.  Pretty interesting on this topic.
Retired Radio Host

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 31, 2017, 11:49:57 pm
I agree.  I hate the new rule. 

Early in football's history they outlawed the "scrum" because so many players were getting hurt and killed.  You should read up on how Teddy Roosevelt saved football.  Not my words, words of an article I read some time back.  Pretty interesting on this topic.

Googled the article.  Fascinating read.  Here's a link:  http://www.history.com/news/how-teddy-roosevelt-saved-football

hogfanny

High fives after free throws. Should be delay of game penalty.

Kevin

letting the so called untouchable programs in college sports cheat and do nothing about it.

the double standard is garbage
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfanny

Quote from: Kevin on January 01, 2018, 07:51:38 am
letting the so called untouchable programs in college sports cheat and do nothing about it.

the double standard is garbage
I agree. Would rather not investigate at all, than to investigate, find guilty, and allow to keep doing it. Example is North Carolina basketball. Kentucky on the otherhand just never investigated.

Hawgphish

how about when the networks don't schedule enough time to get one game over before the next game starts. 

USChog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 31, 2017, 10:06:15 pm
I'm not trying to justify anything.  I'm sorry I upset your heightened sensibilities.

I am sexist. 

I believe women CAN do almost anything a man can do.  I believe that men CAN do almost anything women can do.  Now, it is just my opinion and personal preference, but I believe that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you should or need to.

You know, just because one CAN highjack a thread doesn't mean one should or needs to...to make a PC point.

I know we are all suppose to play in the same sandbox wearing each other's clothes now days, but I still kind of like differences and roles.

I still mow the lawn, my wife still vacuums. I still open doors, drive when we go some where together, pay the check at restaurants, and don't let people use foul language in front of her.  Oddly, my wife loves all of that.

My wife works, makes more money than I do (which I REALLY love) and should make more.  I believe in pay equality and treating everyone equally.

I have two daughters that I tell that they can be whatever they want to be.  However, just because they CAN do something doesn't mean that they should.

Be a doctor, a lawyer, a CEO, be anything you want to be...but I prefer to not have Fran the Nanny doing play by play.  My wife and I were talking about this and told her that maybe if she sounded like Marilynn Monroe singing "Happy Birthday Mr. President" doing play by play I might like it better than a man's voice.  I know, I know, how masogynistic of me.

If it makes you feel better, I also prefer women nurses.

So, just because you want to blend gender roles doesn't mean I have to when it comes to football.  So...label me what you will...but maybe next time start your own thread to do it.

Nah the issue is that you think Beth Mowins is Fran the Nanny when she is a highly qualified sports analyst and announcer.

Also not high jacking your thread bud, just commenting. Because it is my right to do so, but I can see you don't like dissension and would just prefer everyone agree with you.

pigture perfect

Quote from: USChog on January 01, 2018, 02:24:02 pm
Nah the issue is that you think Beth Mowins is Fran the Nanny when she is a highly qualified sports analyst and announcer.

Also not high jacking your thread bud, just commenting. Because it is my right to do so, but I can see you don't like dissension and would just prefer everyone agree with you.
what are Beth's qualifications? She took some journalist classes? She is horrible and her voice is grating.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Grating is appropo. I believe Beth to well-versed at her job and would like to see more women earn the opportunity, but her voice is grating.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigture perfect

She tries to sound like a man. I really wonder what her real voice sounds like.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

247Hog

Gotta say, biggest pet peeve is watching ANY OU game and listening to their band play the same song after every play. I seriously watch Georgia rush for 12 yards and a first down and OU played their song...i wanna pull my hair out after one quarter of an OU game.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: 247Hog on January 01, 2018, 07:34:50 pm
Gotta say, biggest pet peeve is watching ANY OU game and listening to their band play the same song after every play. I seriously watch Georgia rush for 12 yards and a first down and OU played their song...i wanna pull my hair out after one quarter of an OU game.

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 01, 2018, 06:34:56 pm
She tries to sound like a man. I really wonder what her real voice sounds like.

I don't know if she tries to sound like a man — my asst has always had a man voice.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigture perfect

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 01, 2018, 07:58:28 pm
I don't know if she tries to sound like a man — my asst has always had a man voice.
Like the Andy Griffith show fun girl. "Hello Doll"! My wife says that to me when she wants to aggravate me a little. It's one of our best little inside jokes.

bythelake

Hell, after all this fuss over Beth mowins I dislike her even more.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 01, 2018, 08:39:21 pm
Like the Andy Griffith show fun girl. "Hello Doll"! My wife says that to me when she wants to aggravate me a little. It's one of our best little inside jokes.

Oh yeah, that IS hilarious....

Hardcore Hoggy

The "eurostep" that trash is walking, always has been , always will be

Related to Arkansas . My pet peeve when we had our previous coach was hearing about how we had "the largest line in football" and then watching them get ran right over play after play. After a while just hearing that phrase became a pet peeve.

netteltonhog

Sideline and locker room journalists. Their presence is unnecessary and does nothing to improve the game. Sticking a microphone in a coaches face walking off the field (or court) at halftime is a joke, coming out of the shower wrapped in a towel.. Complete B—-s—-.  Have some respect for fellow human beings. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Bill Walton announcing basketball games. Egads he's awful.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 10:39:50 am
The "eurostep" that trash is walking, always has been , always will be

Just try officiating that move. I have jr coaches come up before the game telling me that " # so and so does the euro step " Invariably, # so and so is just taking 2 steps " and the 1st time we call travelling the coach reminds us, for the rest of the game, that it was a euro step.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 11:13:25 am
Just try officiating that move. I have jr coaches come up before the game telling me that " # so and so does the euro step " Invariably, # so and so is just taking 2 steps " and the 1st time we call travelling the coach reminds us, for the rest of the game, that it was a euro step.

I should add a caveat here. I can deal with it somewhat IF the in game officiating is consistent in the way they call it. I'd prefer it was always called traveling, but can live with it not being called traveling if it is called the same way every way throughout the game

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 11:58:33 am
I should add a caveat here. I can deal with it somewhat IF the in game officiating is consistent in the way they call it. I'd prefer it was always called traveling, but can live with it not being called traveling if it is called the same way every way throughout the game

This where I'm at. I understand under the rules, as they are written, it's a legal move but would like for it to be called traveling 100% of the time. As long as the officiating crew is consistent with their calls it's not the end of the world. I do wish they'd get rid of it though.

hogsanity

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 12:09:11 pm
This where I'm at. I understand under the rules, as they are written, it's a legal move but would like for it to be called traveling 100% of the time.

why do you want something that is legal to be called a violation?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 12:58:02 pm

We don't think it should be legal.

Another pet peeve

Razorback fans who go to a game and scream their damn heads off while were on offense, and then get quiet as a mouse when we're on defense.

Kneph13

allowing Omega Psi Phi player's to "throw the hooks" after a good play or touchdown.   It is disrespectful of the player and their teams ability.  The team and the player made the play.  Their fraternity affiliation has nothing to do with it and has no place on the football field.
There is no Political Correctness in war

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Kneph13 on January 02, 2018, 01:08:02 pm
allowing Omega Psi Phi player's to "throw the hooks" after a good play or touchdown.   It is disrespectful of the player and their teams ability.  The team and the player made the play.  Their fraternity affiliation has nothing to do with it and has no place on the football field.

Don't you mean making any gesture in celebration?

Inhogswetrust

How about when a coach keeps saying over and over again  "we are real close"..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 01:42:04 pm
How about when a coach keeps saying over and over again  "we are real close"..........................

"That's on us as coaches. We'll go back, watch the film, and do better this week in practice. That's on me. But we're real close. We're almost there."

Week
after
week
after
week
for
years

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 12:58:02 pm

Because I don't agree it should be legal.

hogsanity

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 01:53:29 pm
Because I don't agree it should be legal.

then what you really want is a rule change. Surely you do not want refs calling violations on things that are legal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 02, 2018, 01:43:43 pm
"That's on us as coaches. We'll go back, watch the film, and do better this week in practice. That's on me. But we're real close. We're almost there."

Week
after
week
after
week
for
years

No kidding. I kept trying to figure exactly what they were getting close too..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 01:56:49 pm
then what you really want is a rule change. Surely you do not want refs calling violations on things that are legal.

In football there is a hold on every single play that goes uncalled. Per the rules, it should be called 99% or more of plays. I'm not not advocating it should be called every play, only that the officials be consistent. With the eurostep, it is a legal move, but officials will call traveling on occasion, if they are or are not to call it a violation, I only hope that they are consistent.

Yes, I would like a rules change and said as much in my initial post.
Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 12:09:11 pm
This where I'm at. I understand under the rules, as they are written, it's a legal move but would like for it to be called traveling 100% of the time. As long as the officiating crew is consistent with their calls it's not the end of the world. I do wish they'd get rid of it though.

Hardcore Hoggy

Fan who talk about the team they root for as "we" if you aren't on the field, you aint "we"

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 02:15:16 pm
Fan who talk about the team they root for as "we" if you aren't on the field, you aint "we"

There isn't a "we" on the field unless there are fans in the stands. The fans are an intricate part of the team/program as the players. We disagree with you.

EastexHawg

Receivers who spend so much time trying to hand fight and seal off the defender when going for a deep ball that they don't run far or fast enough to catch it. 

Runners and receivers who try to make moves that aren't necessary and actually cost the team first downs or yardage.  One of Oklahoma's receivers yesterday stopped and tried to cut to his left in an attempt to score the TD himself.  He was tackled around the 12-15 yard line.  If he had just kept running he probably would have made it to the 5 or maybe inside it.  OU scored anyway, but it could have been costly.

Coaches who outsmart themselves by getting cute on kickoffs.  Exhibit A, Lincoln Riley.  Up 31-14 with six seconds to go in the half, he tries to squib it.  Georgia gets the ball at midfield and kicks a field goal.  Not only did he give Georgia some momentum going into halftime, but...what was the score at the end of regulation, coach?  Do you wish you hadn't given Georgia those three points?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 02:35:15 pm

There isn't a "we" on the field unless there are fans in the stands. The fans are an intricate part of the team/program as the players. We disagree with you.

"WE" agree with this post.

I was born a Razorback, have lived as a Razorback, and will die a Razorback.  I spend money on the program, gear, and travel.  The Razorbacks are as much a part of my history and family as...well...I am.  My kids learned to call the hogs before they could say Momma or Dadda.  We cheer for the Hogs...and when the Hogs win "we" scream, "we won."  When we lose, I tearfully say, "we lost."

WE are Razorbacks.
Retired Radio Host

ALLVOL

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 28, 2017, 07:10:21 pm
Too many tear-jerking stories. Sometimes it seems as if ESPN confuses red-blooded American males for estrogen-oozing women looking for a reason to cry.
This right here. This thread can end with this post right here. It's not Oprah it's SPORTS!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 02, 2018, 04:50:36 pm
This right here. This thread can end with this post right here. It's not Oprah it's SPORTS!!!

Now that you brought it up, Oprah.  Can't stand her!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?