Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The game of FB has changed! Those late to the show get fired!

Started by Hogwarrior, November 18, 2017, 06:14:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go hogues

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 19, 2017, 09:26:24 am
Exactly.  Apparently, the loss of Pittman was fatal to BB's pro-style aspirations when he couldn't find a coach that could maintain the level of excellence...
So much so that he was reduced to hiring the OL water boy from the Bills.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

bkjbearcat

Quote from: go hogues on November 20, 2017, 12:05:29 am
BB has always had sand in his craw regarding recruiting TX. Many questioned his motives when he first arrived by not hiring an ace Texas recruiter. He was stubborn and wanted to get'm all from South Florida.
Running his mouth at that coaching clinic was idiotic and Kingsbury had every right to call him out on it.

At the end of the day, the reason BB will be gone at the end of the MO game is this. He didn't get Arkansas, The South or Texas. And most impotently, he never wanted to get Arkansas, The South or Texas. He thought all of his Rose Bowl appearances would have recruits lining up to play for him. Talked big and couldn't back it up. All his bravado and oafish behavior turned off a lot of recruits and their families in this region. Then toped it off by mocking the style that most in Texas play. Just a recipe for disaster.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Grag T

Not sure how ANY style works when your O line absolutely sucks.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Inhogswetrust

Changed? How so? They STILL have to block, tackle, throw, run, play smart, kick, not turn it over, etc. ANY style can win when all those are done right.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Grag T on November 20, 2017, 09:22:20 am

No style wins without at least some decent OL play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HornetHog on November 19, 2017, 07:39:36 am
Hold on, not so fast,..... In the NFL as well...?   Tell Tom Brady that.
Pro style Quarterbacks are just harder to fine today, based on its so much easier for a Youth, HS and College coach to put a quick, fast RB athlete back there to make the first guy miss and move the chains.  I think in this climate, you'll start to see the True Pro Style pocket passer emerge and we'll all be in Awe when they do.  When really, its simply a QB who doesn't get rattled and keeps his eyes downfield to the 2nd and 3rd receiver. Spread or a mix of a power run look doesn't really matter,...its all about the QB we recruit and the QB Coach we have on the hill.  IMO

His name is Wentz and he'll win the Super Bowl this year.

hogsanity

If forget which game I was watching Saturday, but they talked about how really all the offense was that one team was running was the triple option out of shotgun. The QB rides the RB while reading a certain defender, then either keeps it or lets the Rb have it depending on what that defender does.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Peter Porker

Quote from: Cure on November 19, 2017, 07:31:02 am
Bielema didn't change? Brandon Allen threw the ball damn near 50 times in a game before.

Exactly. And guess what? The last time we came close to beating Alabama was 2014 when we tried to "out-Alabama Alabama". CBB hired Enos and we went into some of offense THAT WAS NOT GROUND AND POUND. Heck, we stopped using a fullback. We stopped recruiting big linemen and lost our identity. We were no longer the toughest team on the field.

And to the OP there are lots of teams that have won zero games running the spread. It ain't about the X's and 0's as it is the Jimmies and Joes.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HornetHog

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 19, 2017, 11:24:31 pm
I take it you don’t watch much NFL FB.  More and more teams are going to mobile QBs who can create with their feet even though they are not primarily looking to run.  The field is spread and we are even seeing the cheesy slot in motion on the jet sweep.  Nope, the days of  Brady, Brees, and Rivers is over for quit some time.  The NFL is flooded with the Rogers types (will run on ya but is pass first).

Rogers types..?  He's as much pro style as Tom Brady.  If you were saying Duel threat, your talking about Cam Newton'ish,.. I'd see your point. You do realize pro style QBs have to be ale to be quick enough to get 8-10 yards with their legs as well.  The main difference in the two styles are the Prostyle keeps his brain down field until the last second which helps him make the last second throw to the 2nd or 3rd choice in that play. The duel QB looks for his first read and if not there, he takes off and runs. Rogers being a Pro style still moves around the pocket while keeping his brain down field. Sliding in the pocket is not taking off and running. Although its lots for fun for us to watch when they do take off, it becomes very limited for the offense to become successful. QBs can so take so many hits. Its like being in a car crash every hit at that level. Dak Prescott is a good example of a QB who's on the fence between the two styles and becoming more and more a pro-style each game. 

Also to answer your question, I haven seen too much NFL this season, the kneeling during the National Anthem doesn't work for me. I am too busy training quarterbacks.  QBFarm.com  and coaching High School in IL
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HornetHog on November 20, 2017, 10:23:02 am
Rogers types..?  He's as much pro style as Tom Brady.  If you were saying Duel threat, your talking about Cam Newton'ish,.. I'd see your point. You do realize pro style QBs have to be ale to be quick enough to get 8-10 yards with their legs as well.  The main difference in the two styles are the Prostyle keeps his brain down field until the last second which helps him make the last second throw to the 2nd or 3rd choice in that play. The duel QB looks for his first read and if not there, he takes off and runs. Rogers being a Pro style still moves around the pocket while keeping his brain down field. Sliding in the pocket is not taking off and running. Although its lots for fun for us to watch when they do take off, it becomes very limited for the offense to become successful. QBs can so take so many hits. Its like being in a car crash every hit at that level. Dak Prescott is a good example of a QB who's on the fence between the two styles and becoming more and more a pro-style each game. 

Also to answer your question, I haven seen too much NFL this season, the kneeling during the National Anthem doesn't work for me. I am too busy training quarterbacks.  QBFarm.com  and coaching High School in IL
Great post!

To the OP everything changes to a certain degree, but in the end it is still about blocking and tackling, limiting mistakes, penalties and turnovers. The team that does these things the best will win regardless of style of offense or defense. It has almost nothing to do with being left behind. The only contributing factor in that regard might be preference by player to a certain style.

Etowah

It is about talent more than style....but for those blaming lack of talent, why do we have less talent than Mississippi State?

Toledo?
Missouri?
T Tech?
TCU?
Rutgers?
Va Tech?
South Carolina?

....we beat La Tech by one point...even talent?

elksnort

Quote from: Grag T on November 20, 2017, 09:22:20 am
Exactly. Some of these folks just have to make it more complicated. The 2015 offense was a pretty darn good one.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on November 20, 2017, 02:36:15 pm
Exactly. Some of these folks just have to make it more complicated. The 2015 offense was a pretty darn good one.

2015 they had a 3k+ yard passer and a 1500 + yard rusher

2016 had a 3K + yard passer and a 1300+ yard rusher.

2015 Had Skipper, Kirkland, Tretola and Ragnow on the Ol along wth HH, Sprinkle, Morgan, Cornelius and Reed catching passes.  2016 Had all that minus Kirkland and HH.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jm

Piss and moan about style all day if you want , but it still comes down to blocking and tackling. If you can't block or tackle you will lose way too many games to keep any coach employed.

old_school_hawg

This is true, but all the offense in the world won't win you a championship without defense. Period. Infallible.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2017, 02:51:51 pm
2015 they had a 3k+ yard passer and a 1500 + yard rusher

2016 had a 3K + yard passer and a 1300+ yard rusher.

2015 Had Skipper, Kirkland, Tretola and Ragnow on the Ol along wth HH, Sprinkle, Morgan, Cornelius and Reed catching passes.  2016 Had all that minus Kirkland and HH.
I guess you know my point is that if you have the sufficient talent (and we did), the pro style works.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: elksnort on November 20, 2017, 04:51:41 pm
I guess you know my point is that if you have the sufficient talent (and we did), the pro style works.

Sure, in the 'pros.' The style does not belong in College and absolutely not in the SEC.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2017, 09:52:21 am
If forget which game I was watching Saturday, but they talked about how really all the offense was that one team was running was the triple option out of shotgun. The QB rides the RB while reading a certain defender, then either keeps it or lets the Rb have it depending on what that defender does.

it is the "fly sweep" offense. Probably LSU but yeah all of this is basically the wishbone, triple option except from shotgun with Canadian style football motion.  Instead of motion vertical its horizontal.