Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Athlon Sports early pre-season Hogs article

Started by redleg, March 23, 2018, 11:18:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Snout team

QuoteThe spread may be better suited for Hayden and Hammonds but Whaley has experience edge. Boyd also would not have been brought on by Morris if the need was not there.

He also didn't mention Maleek Barkley who has the advantage of familiarity with CCM.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

WooPigFarm

I like our experience... and he didn't even mention many recruits, just R Boyd

DeltaBoy

It Early and he covered the basic facts.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bennyl08

Didn't really say anything of any insight, and it missed on some basic facts such as listing Eugene as a defensive lineman.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dark Helmet Hog

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

razorbackkid

Thanks.  Definitely going to be an interesting spring and summer.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 23, 2018, 11:37:01 am
Good write up.

Yep.  Right now no one knows.  Of course Hog Fans are optimistic if they love their new caoch and think Morris can turn this around the first year.  Optimistic fans are thinking we can win anywhere from 2 and 4 games in the SEC and go Bowling in Morris 1st year.  So who is usually more right?  National writers, SEC writers, Ark beat writers or Fans? 

liljo

I enjoyed the write-up. And, like I've seen around here and other places, Coach Morris wouldn't have went after Boyd if he didn't see the need. But, if I had to pick one single player that I thought was going to make the biggest overall impact on this team, coming right out of high school, it would be Billy Ferrell.

I can't wait to see him work. He will come to the Hill, and he will be amazed (small town, Fordyce kid) that everyone is so big and fast. He'll get mashed a little bit early on.

Then he'll get mad. Then he will mash back. He really has the potential to free up linebackers by absolutely demanding double-teams. That young man has something deep down that makes for a Very Special Defensive Tackle. I think Sosa is going to absolutely love him. And I KNOW Chavis already does.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

jbigs77

Seem like several were red shirted last year, we didn't have that many scholarships to offer. Anyone think some of these kids can come in and give us quality PT or at least provide some depth in needed areas? 

Al Boarland

Quote from: jbigs77 on March 24, 2018, 02:00:26 pm
Seem like several were red shirted last year, we didn't have that many scholarships to offer. Anyone think some of these kids can come in and give us quality PT or at least provide some depth in needed areas?

Considering the product on the field last season it's hard to see CBB holding back guys that could contribute. Just seems like there may not be an abundance of talent on the roster.

j-mann

we are better than 62 overall  we shouild be between 40-50   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

redleg

redleg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2018, 09:44:16 am
Yep.  Right now no one knows.  Of course Hog Fans are optimistic if they love their new caoch and think Morris can turn this around the first year.  Optimistic fans are thinking we can win anywhere from 2 and 4 games in the SEC and go Bowling in Morris 1st year.  So who is usually more right?  National writers, SEC writers, Ark beat writers or Fans?
I don't think you can trust most fans. They are often overly optimistic, and unrealistic.
National writers seem to know the basics, but only focus of the "big time" programs. Most don't know the ins-and-outs of all of the moving parts in each program, and tend to only hit the highlights.
SEC writers get it right more often, because they are focused only on 14 teams, and can go more in depth.
Arkansas writers are good, but tend to have a Razorback-friendly slant.

One exception that I have observed over the past decade or so is Phil Steele. He has been correct better than 60% of the time, which is a very good average, considering most national writers do well to get things right half of the time (which almost any fan can accomplish on a national level). But Steele goes in depth with each team, and considers multiple factors. He has been within 1 game of picking Arkansas' record most years. I will be very curious to see what he has to say in his annual pre-season magazine.