Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF you could, who would you pick to be the next Men's BB coach?

Started by hawgtime, March 19, 2018, 02:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

if we do get rid of Anderson, who would be a great next Head Hog?  I am out of it but wonder what coaches you would like and WHY?

CiriusPorker

sadhogfan

Quote from: hawgtime on March 19, 2018, 02:43:40 pm
if we do get rid of Anderson, who would be a great next Head Hog?  I am out of it but wonder what coaches you would like and WHY?

And is your question, "Who would be your dream coach if you could have anyone you want?" or "Who would be the coach you would pick out of people we could realistically get?"

Because I think those are two questions with drastically different answers. And part of the reason why people like me can acknowledge that MA is a good (though not great) coach, but also doubt that we would be able to replace him with an improvement.

HF#1

Throw 4 mil a year at Greg Marshall and watch him take us to the promise land within 3 years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hog_Swanson

I would hire Mike Anderson back.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 04:03:59 pm
Throw 4 mil a year at Greg Marshall and watch him take us to the promise land within 3 years.

Koch brothers will pay him whatever he wants to stay in Wichita. Will only leave for a Top 5 job, if even.

HF#1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 04:13:36 pm
Koch brothers will pay him whatever he wants to stay on Wichita. Will only leave for a Top 5 job, if even.

Nobody said I had to be realistic.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

CiriusPorker

I honestly think Mike Anderson is the most realistic coach we can get right now, especially considering the buyout of Bielema and the stadium expansion. 
I don't like the losses either, but I don't see Mike going anywhere for a few years.

swineology

Mike will retire here  but I'd take Beard

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 04:13:55 pm
Nobody said I had to be realistic.
haha yeah that was not a prerequisite
Musselman is someone who's been mentioned on here who's realistic. I think we could get pretty much any mid-major up-and-comer, but all those are risky. I'm sure fans on here want most of the coaches in the Sweet 16, even though several of them are no better than MA. Bruce Weber and Leonard Hamilton I would definitely argue are inferior coaches, but there they are in the Sweet 16.
I think it's fair to subtract, maybe, the first two years (thanks, Pelphrey), so you look at the past 5. Mike's made 3 tourneys, and only one of those teams went into the tournament looking like it had a shot at the Sweet 16. I don't know if you can expect anything better than that from an up-and-comer. Of course the draw is that you could catch lightning in a bottle. I think a better idea is doing as HF #1 suggested and throwing a whole lot of money at a really good, proven coach. I'd talk with Mark Few, I'd talk with Greg Marshall, and maybe Chris Mack. This essentially is what we did when we got Bielema, though that obviously didn't work out. That's how Oregon got Dana Altman. Maybe someone like Greg McDermott would be interested, too. These are super unsexy hires, but they're proven coaches who have won at a high level at non-traditional powers.
My number one choice would be Jamie Dixon. He's a really good coach and I think he'd at least sit down with us.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

AirWarren

I say:
John Pelphrey.
Stan Heath.

We need to give a hot up and comer a chance!!!

We are ARKANSAS! We can land the biggest names of them all!! Just look at Chad Morris!!!!

Kevin

if you want to go opposite of what we got, Brad Brownell at Clemson. Great x & o guy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: swineology on March 19, 2018, 04:31:08 pm
Mike will retire here  but I'd take Beard
Unfortunately, I don't think Beard is realistic, but I think he'd at least talk with us. He mentioned being closer to his daughters being a big positive for him.

AirWarren

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on March 19, 2018, 04:33:49 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think Beard is realistic, but I think he'd at least talk with us. He mentioned being closer to his daughters being a big positive for him.

Beard is home. He isn't coming back to a lesser state.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: AP85 on March 19, 2018, 04:34:18 pm
agreed on the not coming back part. now the second part...

hobhog

Give me a year to think about it, because that's when we will have an opening. I'll build a shortlist along with AD.

jst01

I watched dozens of smaller school coaches this past weekend do more with less talent than AR had this year. They did it with basketball fundamentals that have been proven to work time and time again. MA wasn't even in the top 50% of coaches that played in this tournament. I get more embarrassed about our lack of team basketball knowledge and intelligence when I watch teams like Loyola and Nevada move the ball on offense and run their style. This Anderson style blows balls.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 04:43:10 pm
I watched dozens of smaller school coaches this past weekend do more with less talent than AR had this year. They did it with basketball fundamentals that have been proven to work time and time again. MA wasn't even in the top 50% of coaches that played in this tournament. I get more embarrassed about our lack of team basketball knowledge and intelligence when I watch teams like Loyola and Nevada move the ball on offense and run their style. This Anderson style blows balls.

That same Nevada that was down 20 points. Maybe the last play when there best player went one omn one missed the shot but the forward rebounds shoots the ball with 7 seconds left giving the Bearcats a chance.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 19, 2018, 05:14:07 pm
That same Nevada that was down 20 points. Maybe the last play when there best player went one omn one missed the shot but the forward rebounds shoots the ball with 7 seconds left giving the Bearcats a chance.

So what? They won the game.

Weren't we down 21-2? Who cares if we stormed back to take a lead before half. We lost by 17.

HogBreath

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 05:18:27 pm
So what? They won the game.

Weren't we down 21-2? Who cares if we stormed back to take a lead before half. We lost by 17.
Lol, we sure don't want a coach who leads his team from behind to victory.

Yeah, don't want anything to do with a coach like that Nevada dude, when we get behind, we lose, let's just keep on riding this exciting fast forty rollercoaster.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

GoHogs1091

My choices in order.

1.  Ben Howland
2.  Brad Brownell
3.  Eric Musselman
4.  Brad Underwood
5.  Jeremy Cox

batmanfan

I'd keep my eye on the Mayor if the timing could be right.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Tick Hog

Mr. Porkleone

Typical bunch of hacks ruining a thread a poster started just for talks. What a bunch of A$$holes

widespreadsooie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2018, 07:15:07 pm
My choices in order.

1.  Ben Howland
2.  Brad Brownell
3.  Eric Musselman
4.  Brad Underwood
5.  Jeremy Cox

Man, the opportunity cost at hiring one of these guys and firing Mike could be potentially devastating

sickboy

If you're going to fire Anderson, might as well sell your soul and hire Rick Pitino.

j-mann

my choice wouild be   

1 brad steveans pipe dream     
2 bob huggers  West Vri   
3 tony bennent UVA   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

jst01

Quote from: j-mann on March 19, 2018, 08:30:41 pm
my choice wouild be   

2 bob huggers  West Vri   
3 tony bennent UVA   

You almost have to try to intentionally spell 3 out of 3 names wrong haha

sickboy

Quote from: j-mann on March 19, 2018, 08:30:41 pm
my choice wouild be   

2 bob huggers  West Vri   
3 tony bennent UVA   

None of those people would come to Arkansas. They're all pipe dreams. But they're great coaches, I'll give you that.

popcornhog

Mike Anderson. I'm not an Anderson apologist, but big picture, I don't see a compelling reason to fire him.
WPS

JONAS

Ulysses_S_Grunt

sadhogfan

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Paul

Quote from: AP85 on March 19, 2018, 04:34:18 pm
RazorAg said on a pay board that this is not what he heard

RacinRazorback

Rick Pitino! Rhymes with Bobby Petrino! Bring them both in, cheat our arses off and become relevant in both sports again! WPS!!!!! And watch Hogville implode!

HF#1

Quote from: anaxagoras on March 19, 2018, 08:58:44 pm
Thad Matta

I'd question why he fizzled out at Ohio State so bad. They had it rolling for a few years and then boom, rock bottom. He's a good coach but I'd have to have a pretty good explanation to pull the trigger.

RazorPiggie

At least they got a rebound.

steveaustin69

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 09:23:51 am
I'd question why he fizzled out at Ohio State so bad. They had it rolling for a few years and then boom, rock bottom. He's a good coach but I'd have to have a pretty good explanation to pull the trigger.

Health issues led to not keeping up in recruiting. I'd assume that's been resolved since he showed interest in UGA.

hogsanity

The same Nevada that is still playing while the Hogs were sent packing on Friday.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

Brad Brownell has been close to being fired each of the last few years. This year is the outlier.

hogsanity

I'd take David Padgett, interim at UL. Did a really good job under tough conditions this year at UL. Student of the game. Young, just 33, seems to have a bright future ahead.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 09:52:24 am
I'd take David Padgett, interim at UL. Did a really good job under tough conditions this year at UL. Student of the game. Young, just 33, seems to have a bright future ahead.

he is at his alma matter i doubt he would leave.

I know some are mad at MA but really some of the coaches being named in this thread are sad at best.  You guys are willing to trade MA for guys with 1 year HC experience losing records etc. why? just because you are tired of the guy.

I only want a coaching change if it is a clear upgrade.

RazorPiggie

I like Eric Musselman. Been at Nevada for 3 years. Has two NCAAT and now in the Sweet 16. Been in the NBA so that should help with recruiting.

99toLife

Someone from Hogville, seems to be a lot of confident internet coaches on here!

311Hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 20, 2018, 10:07:44 am
I like Eric Musselman. Been at Nevada for 3 years. Has two NCAAT and now in the Sweet 16. Been in the NBA so that should help with recruiting.

i can agree with this guy seems young and full of energy.  Has a cool looking family.  I use to live in Reno recruiting to UNR is not the easiest thing.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2018, 09:56:52 am
he is at his alma matter i doubt he would leave.

I know some are mad at MA but really some of the coaches being named in this thread are sad at best.  You guys are willing to trade MA for guys with 1 year HC experience losing records etc. why? just because you are tired of the guy.

I only want a coaching change if it is a clear upgrade.

The question was who would you pick if....  Not who could we get.

The names are no more sad than those trying to hold on to a guy who's biggest claim to fame was being an assistant 24 years ago on a NC team.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 10:16:17 am
The question was who would you pick if....  Not who could we get.

The names are no more sad than those trying to hold on to a guy who's biggest claim to fame was being an assistant 24 years ago on a NC team.

the name you know. He has real history here, and has had a modicum of success.  It is going to come down to what the new AD wants, because he has run the program well enough that getting fired is not the obvious answer.