Loooooongggggg overdue for a new rec center

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

From Tusk Till Dawn

Stu

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on March 08, 2018, 07:35:09 pm
the hyper is outdated the u of a should be looking at something like this

http://www.campusrec.auburn.edu/rec
Funny...the HPER bldg opened not long after I started going to school there.  It was pretty state of the art at the time - I spent way too much time there and not near enough time studying.  Times...they are achanging...

mckinneyhog5

Sold out stadiums where everyone attends the game?? 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

PORKULATOR

Convicts... I say it every year. Their D always has some big, mean ass looking, brutal, institionalized futured,  "young men" that are willing and able to give ONE GOOD YEAR.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

March 09, 2018, 07:15:31 am #9 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:16:03 pm by Inhogswetrust
When the HPER was built it was a state of the art facility. Within a decade it was outdated. It's a nice facility just outdated. There was also a little bit of controversy about building it and the athletic department wanting involved especially for the swimming pool.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggyCat

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 08, 2018, 10:13:50 pm
Sold out stadiums where everyone attends the game??

But but but....  we're expanding DWRRS....  sure it's been packed for years.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Dark Helmet Hog

LumberBacks

With 3 kids in or about to attend college, I have visited a number of college campuses over the past few years.  Universities have put $$ into all kinds of amenities to attract students.  It's an arms race.  I have visited every major college in TX and OK, and even some smaller ones.  And the HPER is only better than Baylor's wellness facility.  U of Tulsa's facility is much nicer than the HPER.  Tulsa!  Some D2 schools have nicer facilities.  I attended Arkansas beginning in '84 and the HPER was a nice facility. I swear the paint on the walls is still the same today.  The exterior looks like a temporary building.  I don't know if it can be remodeled to bring it into the 21st century.  There are twice as many kids attending Arkansas now than when I attended, but the wellness facilities haven't grown with the enrollment.  A new wellness facility should be tops on the university's agenda for facility improvement!

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on March 10, 2018, 08:31:45 am
But but but....  we're expanding DWRRS....  sure it's been packed for years.

98% of club seats sold and 100% of suites sold in the previous 5 years, I'm pretty sure they're expanding the correct part of the stadium.

ricepig

Quote from: LumberBacks on March 10, 2018, 09:16:29 am
With 3 kids in or about to attend college, I have visited a number of college campuses over the past few years.  Universities have put $$ into all kinds of amenities to attract students.  It's an arms race.  I have visited every major college in TX and OK, and even some smaller ones.  And the HPER is only better than Baylor's wellness facility.  U of Tulsa's facility is much nicer than the HPER.  Tulsa!  Some D2 schools have nicer facilities.  I attended Arkansas beginning in '84 and the HPER was a nice facility. I swear the paint on the walls is still the same today.  The exterior looks like a temporary building.  I don't know if it can be remodeled to bring it into the 21st century.  There are twice as many kids attending Arkansas now than when I attended, but the wellness facilities haven't grown with the enrollment.  A new wellness facility should be tops on the university's agenda for facility improvement!

Someone will have to donate enough money to get their name on one for it to be built very soon. They are more worried about beds for them, than basketball courts.

oldfart

pretty sure there are higher priorities on campus

Razorback2010

Campus population has just about doubled since the hyper was built.  They've needed it renovated and expanded for the last decade.  But the addition of a few football practice fields kind of landlocked it.

Hogcore

March 11, 2018, 11:19:36 pm #17 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:27:04 pm by Hogcore
Several developments, renovations and expansions are on the list before a new HPER. Mullins Library, Agriculture Building, Plant Science Phase II, Fine Arts building, and add another parking deck before 2020.

The_Iceman

When I was on campus, there were plans to build one after the University purchased the Fayetteville High School campus. However, the school blocked the sale and now the UofA doesn't have the land to build a new one.

hogsanity

Quote from: LumberBacks on March 10, 2018, 09:16:29 am

I was thinking the same thing. When you go on a visit to a school they show you all the amenities. You mentioned Baylor, but left out the lazy river in the student center. When we were looking a couple years ago for or oldest, we went to Ut Austin, Baylor, Vandy, Notre Dame Tulsa and UofA. The presentation at the UofA was the worst by far. The "guides" were disinterested, the admins were rude, and you even had to pay for parking. At the other places they had special parking just for visitors, the guides were all super excited ( I think redbull may have been involved, lol ) and at 3 of the schools meals were provided. I hope when they recruit athletes to the UofA it is not with the same " you are lucky to be here " attitude they treat other prospective students with.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:42:30 am
I was thinking the same thing. When you go on a visit to a school they show you all the amenities. You mentioned Baylor, but left out the lazy river in the student center. When we were looking a couple years ago for or oldest, we went to Ut Austin, Baylor, Vandy, Notre Dame Tulsa and UofA. The presentation at the UofA was the worst by far. The "guides" were disinterested, the admins were rude, and you even had to pay for parking. At the other places they had special parking just for visitors, the guides were all super excited ( I think redbull may have been involved, lol ) and at 3 of the schools meals were provided. I hope when they recruit athletes to the UofA it is not with the same " you are lucky to be here " attitude they treat other prospective students with.

They read your post history and thought you were a plant for the other schools.  JK!

steveaustin69

What's the hyper? They had a HPER when I was on campus. Things must've changed.

bigred223

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 08, 2018, 11:24:47 pm
Convicts... I say it every year. Their D always has some big, mean ass looking, brutal, institionalized futured,  "young men" that are willing and able to give ONE GOOD YEAR.

smh

livevanguy

Don't forget they also dropped seven figures to build HYPR 2 in the Union building when they moved the bookstore out. It was nice for a hot minute, but now it's about like the original.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

DZ

studies for a new rec center are being done, as well as looking at several different locations to put it. no idea when anything will be decided on though.

Lord of the Styes

I look for it and Barnhill to come down at the same time.

LumberBacks

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:42:30 am
Pretty much my same experience.  While I can look past the sales effort and more at the school's academics and programs, most of the others schools  we visited put much more into their recruiting events than Arkansas - Baylor, TCU, aTm, Trinity, Tulsa, OKST, OU, Tulane put on a better presentations.  UT's was the worse - there was an overwhelming "we know you want to come here" attitude.  Arkansas has gone through an amazing build and campus upgrade campaign over the past 10 years, but they still have work to do.  I know that takes money, but other schools are upgrading and they have similar funding issues.

ballz2thewall

am i dreaming it, or was our building upgraded in the early to mid 80's?

i could be wrong and it might be due to my focus. in college i recall the weight room. in lawshool i remember the racquet ball courts.
The rest of the frog.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 10:08:38 am

We're all on the same page here, Steve. Don't be a jagaloon.

FaytownHog

The players (ones we need to recruit) now have a brand new private practice facility. They don't have to use the HPER at all unless they just wanted to hang out with the non-athletes. I doubt it effects recruiting at all.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I attended the University in the early 90's and the HPER wasn't that great then. The gym was a total joke.  As much as we pay for school they should have something nicer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on March 12, 2018, 10:05:07 pm
I look for it and Barnhill to come down at the same time.

Barnhill can't come down unless they find a place to have some of the women's sports.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 14, 2018, 11:54:13 am
I attended the University in the early 90's and the HPER wasn't that great then. The gym was a total joke.  As much as we pay for school they should have something nicer.

Well, they can always tack on a fee for it......

porque

Quote from: DZ on March 12, 2018, 09:54:11 pm
studies for a new rec center are being done, as well as looking at several different locations to put it. no idea when anything will be decided on though.

Location is a big problem.  To do a wellness facility correctly, it would need a large foot print.  I guess they could use the intramural fields, but then....

porque

Quote from: porque on March 14, 2018, 01:28:47 pm
Location is a big problem.  To do a wellness facility correctly, it would need a large foot print.  I guess they could use the intramural fields, but then....

I guess the best place to put it would be to the west of the practice fields.  You would only have to tear down one building.  You could also buy the Islamic Center to its south.

Hogcore

Quote from: porque on March 14, 2018, 01:37:35 pm
I guess the best place to put it would be to the west of the practice fields.  You would only have to tear down one building.  You could also buy the Islamic Center to its south.

My understanding is the Testing Building is coming down and the UA already owns all the land around the Islamic Center. Would be a great spot.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 10:08:38 am

And that's the bottom line!

IronHog

Quote from: LumberBacks on March 12, 2018, 10:19:53 pm
Pretty much my same experience.  While I can look past the sales effort and more at the school's academics and programs, most of the others schools  we visited put much more into their recruiting events than Arkansas - Baylor, TCU, aTm, Trinity, Tulsa, OKST, OU, Tulane put on a better presentations.  UT's was the worse - there was an overwhelming "we know you want to come here" attitude.  Arkansas has gone through an amazing build and campus upgrade campaign over the past 10 years, but they still have work to do.  I know that takes money, but other schools are upgrading and they have similar funding issues.

The mid tier kids from Texas UA recruits for their general student body are coming one way or another

Waste of tax dollars for Arkansas
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogPharmer

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2018, 12:03:03 pm
Well, they can always tack on a fee for it......

Nah, you go to Jonesboro for crap like that.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

TNRazorbacker