Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taking words too literally - Best DC

Started by a shady hog, December 15, 2017, 12:10:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

a shady hog

I see many on here posting about how Coach Morris is going to have "the best defensive coordinator in the country" and I hear the same thing from people on sports talk radio. I think what Coach Morris was saying when he introduced himself to the team is that you should always consider everything as the best. He said (paraphrasing) "We're going to have the best practice. We're going to have the best meeting. We're going to have the best defensive coordinator. etc." I think he was really just trying to influence the players to have that positive mentality - not that he has the "best" defensive coordinator already lined up and waiting - he could have one already, but I don't necessarily think he meant that as a literal phrase.

I just foresee people all up in arms over that phrase if he doesn't get Venables.

This reminds me of people who repeat a sentence from Frank Broyles about Gus, but leave out the end of his sentence. I even heard a female reporter on KTHV 11 say this and Jim Harris didn't correct her. "That style of offense will never work in the SEC - without a running quarterback."

Hog Fan...DOH!

Never underestimate the stupidity of our times...

a shady hog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 15, 2017, 12:12:24 pm
Never underestimate the stupidity of our times...
Read news on The Daily Wire and you'll really see how true that statement is lol

Hogindasticks

Quote from: a shady hog on December 15, 2017, 12:10:55 pm
I see many on here posting about how Coach Morris is going to have "the best defensive coordinator in the country" and I hear the same thing from people on sports talk radio. I think what Coach Morris was saying when he introduced himself to the team is that you should always consider everything as the best. He said (paraphrasing) "We're going to have the best practice. We're going to have the best meeting. We're going to have the best defensive coordinator. etc." I think he was really just trying to influence the players to have that positive mentality - not that he has the "best" defensive coordinator already lined up and waiting - he could have one already, but I don't necessarily think he meant that as a literal phrase.

I just foresee people all up in arms over that phrase if he doesn't get Venables.

This reminds me of people who repeat a sentence from Frank Broyles about Gus, but leave out the end of his sentence. I even heard a female reporter on KTHV 11 say this and Jim Harris didn't correct her. "That style of offense will never work in the SEC - without a running quarterback."

That's the problem with making promises you can not keep.  People lose faith in you as a person because you blatantly lied to their face if you don't come through with what you promised....simple as that.  The team will implode on him if it doesn't happen. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 12:17:44 pm
That's the problem with making promises you can not keep.  People lose faith in you as a person because you blatantly lied to their face if you don't come through with what you promised....simple as that.  The team will implode on him if it doesn't happen. 

No, the team won't "implode" on him.  That's just stupid.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

azhog10

To be fair, CBB soured the fan base with statements he made that turned out to not be true. Like it or not, Arkansas people take things very literal. I have lived in a lot of different states from midwest, to east coast, to west coast. Arkansas people more than any other group take you for your word. So, IF CCM didn't literally mean he was going to go out and bring in the best DC he possibly could, or the best in the business. He probably shouldn't have said it.

I get it, he just got hired, he's excited and he wants us to be the same. But he will learn over time, don't say things unless you truly mean them. I'm curious to see who he brings on board, but it appears he used the possibility of bringing BV to get the job he has now, and it appears he has told not just fans but players he has "someone" legit coming to be the DC. Whether he truly meant it or not, it's what he is saying.

a shady hog

I don't think he was making any promises. He was saying that no matter what you are involved with, make it the best. If you are in class, think of it as the best class. If you are studying, making it the best studying you've ever done. If you are at practice, make it the best practice. He was telling them to always think positive.

RME

Lol. Good God.

What if, in his mind, Morris hires who he personally considers to be the best DC in the country?

Somewhat of a subjective deal anyway, right? Just because you think Coach X is the best DC in the country, that doesn't mean Morris does. Maybe he thinks Coach Y is the best DC in the country.

Also, don't take things literally.

Also, understand that people say things to put belief behind it. What's he supposed to say to the team? "I'M GONNA GET OUT THERE AND BRING IN THE 4TH OR 5TH BEST DC IN THE COUNTRY!"

No. It also provides a level of faith for the team and for whatever DC he brings in. That guy will know Morris said that and think, "alright, this dude believes in me."

a shady hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 12:21:59 pm
Lol. Good God.

What if, in his mind, Morris hires who he personally considers to be the best DC in the country?

Somewhat of a subjective deal anyway, right?
Correct

azhog10

Lol. Good God.

To a point. It all depends on who he brings in. IF he brings in a guy who hasn't had a top 20 defense EVER, then I'd have to argue with him over how he thinks that guy is the best DC out there.

RME

Quote from: azhog10 on December 15, 2017, 12:23:30 pm
To a point. It all depends on who he brings in. IF he brings in a guy who hasn't had a top 20 defense EVER, then I'd have to argue with him over how he thinks that guy is the best DC out there.

You can do that. I'm gonna let the guy who knows more about football than everyone here combined do what he thinks is best.

Wildhog

Lol. Good God.

I just saw an excited coach speaking in excited coach-speak.  I'm sure he'll hire the best DC he can.

He's certainly not going to lose the team over it.  That's insane, melodramatic BS.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 12:24:41 pm
I just saw an excited coach speaking in excited coach-speak.  I'm sure he'll hire the best DC he can.

He's certainly not going to lose the team over it.  That's insane, melodramatic BS.

Of course. That's exactly what it was.

Didn't Nick Saban say "I will not be the next football coach at the University of Alabama?"

People gotta chill with taking these statements as literal. It's like they've never played any sort of organized sport and heard a coach talk.

azhog10

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 12:24:30 pm
You can do that. I'm gonna let the guy who knows more about football than everyone here combined do what he thinks is best.
Go right ahead, if you want others to do thinking for you. Plenty of resources out there to form your own conclusion.

Stu

That's the problem with making promises you can not keep.  People lose faith in you as a person because you blatantly lied to their face if you don't come through with what you promised....simple as that.  The team will implode on him if it doesn't happen"

Frankly, though, how do you define 'best' DC?  Even BV isn't number one on all lists.   I took it CCM's comments as will be getting the best DC for his team based on fit.  But I'm a bit older and don't have conniptions over how exact folks phrase thing - I.e. I will assume the best intent.

Wildhog

I have absolutely no problem criticizing hires if I don't think they'll get the job done.

However, I'm not holding CCM to a "Venables/Grinch or bust" standard.   
1909/1964/1965/1977

azhog10

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 12:28:14 pm
I have absolutely no problem criticizing hires if I don't think they'll get the job done.

However, I'm not holding CCM to a "Venables/Grinch or bust" standard.
I'm not either. But as I said, and you just reiterated, if he bombs the DC hire then he deserves some backlash for his comments saying he was going to get the best DC PERIOD.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 12:19:32 pm

So is wondering what would the UofA look like in LR? Way too many variables to plug in......did I say Variables or Venables.........

RME

Quote from: azhog10 on December 15, 2017, 12:26:36 pm
Go right ahead, if you want others to do thinking for you. Plenty of resources out there to form your own conclusion.

No one is "doing my thinking for me." I have in my mind who I consider to be fantastic candidates for DC. I am also not arrogant enough to think I know better than Morris and his already-assembled staff about college football DCs.

Hogindasticks

Lol. Good God.

Somewhat of a subjective deal anyway, right? Just because you think Coach X is the best DC in the country, that doesn't mean Morris does. Maybe he thinks Coach Y is the best DC in the country.

Also, understand that people say things to put belief behind it. What's he supposed to say to the team? "I'M GONNA GET OUT THERE AND BRING IN THE 4TH OR 5TH BEST DC IN THE COUNTRY!"

No. It also provides a level of faith for the team and for whatever DC he brings in. That guy will know Morris said that and think, "alright, this dude believes in me."

Not when that promise is made to the kids......says that I am going to tell you whatever you want to hear.....and it won't be the truth....simple as that.  Apparently you have never coached anything and seen how if kids feel that they are not being treated with honesty and respect, they will QUIT....whether by the refs, the coaches..whoever.

azhog10

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 12:38:25 pm
No one is "doing my thinking for me." I have in my mind who I consider to be fantastic candidates for DC. I am also not arrogant enough to think I know better than Morris and his already-assembled staff about college football DCs.
Don' think it's arrogance if someone says they are bringing in the best DC period, and then brings in someone that no one would consider even top 15.

Obviously none of this matters until the hire, but to the OPs point, CCM has to hesitate to make statements like that UNLESS he already knows who he has. People will take him literal and there's nothing wrong with taking him for his word.

RME

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 12:44:24 pm
Not when that promise is made to the kids......says that I am going to tell you whatever you want to hear.....and it won't be the truth....simple as that.  Apparently you have never coached anything and seen how if kids feel that they are not being treated with honesty and respect, they will QUIT....whether by the refs, the coaches..whoever.

You didn't even read what I said.

You might think Brent Venables is the best DC.
Morris might think it's Alex Grinch.

If Morris hires Grinch, then in his mind he's hired the best DC, just like he said he would. But because you don't think Grinch is the best DC, then according to you, Morris lied to you.

See how this works?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 12:24:41 pm

i still fell like he'll deliver a top shelf DC. Be it Venables, Grinch, Foster, Golding, Hobby, or somebody else, there are a few top shelf guys and we'll get one.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

LawyerHog50

Better be arguably the best DC, like Grinch.

Otherwise this B.S. is more sunshine pumper propaganda.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Hog Fan...DOH!

It was definitely Coach B's words and not the wins and losses that really bothered me.  I mean, if he had told us from the beginning that he would blow a dozen 4th quarter leads, I would have totally been on board with 11-29 in the SEC. 

LawyerHog50

The man knows his career at arkansas hinges on this hire. It could call the masses. He knows not to make promises he cannot keep.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 12:48:56 pm
You didn't even read what I said.

You might think Brent Venables is the best DC.
Morris might think it's Alex Grinch.

If Morris hires Grinch, then in his mind he's hired the best DC, just like he said he would. But because you don't think Grinch is the best DC, then according to you, Morris lied to you.

See how this works?

That's the problem with your mindset...it's not about you or me, its about the kids.......smh.....it's how they see it.

3dawghawg

For those who are making such a big deal out of the best DC comment. Who will it take to make you happy?

farmhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 12:19:32 pm
He's a Troll so.......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jkstock04

What gets me is he really made it sound like someone was already bags packed and on the way...now it doesn't look like that at all. If someone was already in agreement or on the way it would've happened by now.

I'm paraphrasing but the way I remember it he said "I've got" or "I'm bringing" the best DC in college football. The best DC in college football doesn't really bother me too badly...that could easily be homer coach speak. But to make it sound like the guy was already in place is where I get a little sideways.

Admittedly, I could be off because I don't remember EXACTLY how he worded it. Maybe I need to go back and watch the video again. If I remember correctly he said it to his players in the introduction meeting and the opening press conference.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogindasticks

Quote from: 3dawghawg on December 15, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
For those who are marking such a big deal out of the best DC comment. Who will it take to make you happy?

Who will it take to make the TEAM happy?  This is not about us....does the team feel like it's the right hire.   If they don't.....it won't be pretty.

Inhogswetrust

Aw yes the perfect example of what the OP's point was. We have stupid fans and/or trolls.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogindasticks

Yup..perfect examples of what I think instead of what does the team think.......perfect parenting trying to coach....smh.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 12:58:35 pm
Who will it take to make the TEAM happy?  This is not about us....does the team feel like it's the right hire.   If they don't.....it won't be pretty.
Get real dude. The team was happy with John L Smith and Bret Bielema.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Grizzlyfan

Lol. Good God.

No he used bad terminology.  In the heat of the moment he made a hyperbolic statement.  At SMU that statement would have gone in one ear and out the other.  Not at an SEC school.  He'll figure that out quickly.  In fact, I bet he's already figured it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 12:58:35 pm

The team isn't going to look at it like the rest of us.  They'll meet the guy and talk with him.  And they won't be a bunch of melodramatic girls about it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

Possibly, but making promises to your team.....you better back it up...if you want a team left.

Wildhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:02:12 pm
No he used bad terminology.  In the heat of the moment he made a hyperbolic statement.  At SMU that statement would have gone in one ear and out the other.  Not at an SEC school.  He'll figure that out quickly.  In fact, I bet he's already figured it.

This.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:03:25 pm
The team isn't going to look at it like the rest of us.  They'll meet the guy and talk with him.  And they won't be a bunch of melodramatic girls about it.

If something bogus is taught on the field......they will be the first to see it.

HawgTide

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 15, 2017, 12:54:03 pm
It was definitely Coach B's words and not the wins and losses that really bothered me.  I mean, if he had told us from the beginning that he would blow a dozen 4th quarter leads, I would have totally been on board with 11-29 in the SEC. 

+1

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 01:04:17 pm
If something bogus is taught on the field......they will be the first to see it.

This is true, and it has nothing to do with your opinion of the DC hire.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

By your logic, whenever any coach tells his team before playing Alabama, "we're gonna go out there and kick their ass," and that's not at all what happens, then the coach lying to the players and to the fans and everyone else in the world.

You've got it figured out.

I'd love for our coach in his pregame speech against Alabama to say "well we're gonna go out there and try our best!"

twistitup

"Im going to win the SEC".....coaches must be careful what they say.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wildhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:05:46 pm
By your logic, whenever any coach tells his team before playing Alabama, "we're gonna go out there and kick their ass," they're lying to them and to the fans and everyone else in the world.

I'd love for our coach in his pregame speech against Alabama to say "well we're gonna go out there and try our best!"

He's right, though.  In the SEC, fans are raving lunatics that will pick apart every word you ever say.  Not the case at an SMU.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 pm
This is true, and it has nothing to do with your opinion of the DC hire.

That's what I keep telling you guys, its not about our opinion.....its the promises that are made and kept to the kids.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 15, 2017, 12:58:13 pm
What gets me is he really made it sound like someone was already bags packed and on the way...now it doesn't look like that at all. If someone was already in agreement or on the way it would've happened by now.

I'm paraphrasing but the way I remember it he said "I've got" or "I'm bringing" the best DC in college football. The best DC in college football doesn't really bother me too badly...that could easily be homer coach speak. But to make it sound like the guy was already in place is where I get a little sideways.

Admittedly, I could be off because I don't remember EXACTLY how he worded it. Maybe I need to go back and watch the video again. If I remember correctly he said it to his players in the introduction meeting and the opening press conference.
b/c Hogville always hears what they wanna hear. He may have just been given the ok to , say, spend 2Million on a DC. That would allow him to say, "We're gonna have the best DC in college football right here", right?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 01:06:31 pm
He's right, though.  In the SEC, fans are raving lunatics that will pick apart every word you ever say.  Not the case at an SMU.

Well yes, case-in-point this thread.

But I know you, as well as a few others, know not to take that statement as literal.

Pig in the Pokey

wasnt "bad terminology" at all. he has since doubled and tripled down on it. How do you guys know who he has or hasnt hired?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:05:46 pm
By your logic, whenever any coach tells his team before playing Alabama, "we're gonna go out there and kick their ass," and that's not at all what happens, then the coach lying to the players and to the fans and everyone else in the world.

I never said he was "lying".  That's a stupid word to use in this context.  As I said, IN THE HEAT OF PRESS CONFERENCE, he chose poor words to convey what he wanted to convey.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 01:06:48 pm

That's what I keep telling you guys, its not about our opinion.....its the promises that are made and kept to the kids.

He's not losing the team before he coaches a single game.  It's just not going to happen.
1909/1964/1965/1977