Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Season Starts Saturday

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 16, 2017, 09:39:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 16, 2017, 09:40:59 pm
Not all wins or losses are equal. Take last weekend as an example. Even though it was 41-9, I took some positives away based on how we got after it. We played hard. Had we lost 66-3, I wouldn't have felt that way.

By the same token, we let New Mexico State hang around and beat them by a couple of touchdowns. Had that been a 49-7 type of game, fans likely would have taken a completely different vibe away from it.

Against South Carolina, we did nothing offensively in the second half. Nothing. Frank Ragnow all but said that we quit. Consequently, I came away with a totally different feeling than I would have had if we had played our asses off and lost 24-21.

Context doesn't matter in a won/loss record; it does in how those wins and losses are perceived.

Agreed.

New Mexico State has its best team in 50 years.

Our offense gave up 24 points to SC.

TCU wasn't over until 3 minutes to go in the game. They are undefeated and ranked 4th in the country.

A&M is a good team. We lost in OT when AA threw an ill advised pass. AA has been the biggest head scratcher this year. It's not all WRs and O-line. His mechanics have been poor and so has his decision making. Who knows why? 

I wasn't overly impressed by our game against Alabama. Better effort at times, but same old same old at others. What Alabama underscored for me was how superior Alabama's athletes are at every position. And that will be the case most of the time they step on the field.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Roaringboar

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 16, 2017, 09:26:27 pm
Now, now. Take a deep breath.

Arkansas finished 79 in Total Defense in 2016.  Right now they are 56.

TCU is undefeated and ranked 4th in the country. They were a 6 point favorite in our house. They are a better football team than Arkansas this year.

Ole Miss is 3-3. With wins over South Alabama, UT Martin and Vanderbilt. Did I say anyone is going to roll over?  No, but Arkansas is better than Ole Miss.

Arkansas has lost 4 games to teams with a combined record of 24-4. It gets easier after Auburn. That was the OP's point.

Ole Miss still has one win more than we do, and it was against a Vandy D that has really improved....not Alabama or Auburn good, but it has gotten much better, and it was a game many thought Ole Miss might actually lose......And how does it get easier after Auburn......We still have LSU and Miss State, two 4-2 teams who still think they have a chance to make some noise.....man, I don't know what happened to fans after this Bama game, but just because we lost by a little over thirty points and not 60 doesn't mean crap......BAMA TOOK IT EASY ON US.........they scored a 75 yard TD with 13 minutes left in the first quarter.....if they could do that, they knew they could walk all over us.....that's why Saban was getting ticked I think because he wanted more fight out of his guys despite playing a cupcake in Arkansas........Malzan and Auburn just lost.....They won't make that mistake, Orgeron isn't going to make that mistake, Mullen really would like to show people he's a for real SEC west coach by finishing towards the top of the west, and according to this logic that, "Oh we'll fight to just prove we don't suck".....well if that's the case, we'd better be ready because Mizzou is going to be trying to deliver an grade A @$$-whooping that won't quit........this whole idea, "We'll win because we're going to fight harder....." Yeah right......I don't get where this sudden arrogance is coming from in the Hog base, but it sounds like everyone is treating the rest of our schedule like it's NMST, and, well, we didn't play that great in that one either, and that was Sun Belt program....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 16, 2017, 09:57:16 pm
Ole Miss still has one win more than we do, and it was against a Vandy D that has really improved....not Alabama or Auburn good, but it has gotten much better, and it was a game many thought Ole Miss might actually lose......And how does it get easier after Auburn......We still have LSU and Miss State, two 4-2 teams who still think they have a chance to make some noise.....man, I don't know what happened to fans after this Bama game, but just because we lost by a little over thirty points and not 60 doesn't mean crap......BAMA TOOK IT EASY ON US.........they scored a 75 yard TD with 13 minutes left in the first quarter.....if they could do that, they knew they could walk all over us.....that's why Saban was getting ticked I think because he wanted more fight out of his guys despite playing a cupcake in Arkansas........Malzan and Auburn just lost.....They won't make that mistake, Orgeron isn't going to make that mistake, Mullen really would like to show people he's a for real SEC west coach by finishing towards the top of the west, and according to this logic that, "Oh we'll fight to just prove we don't suck".....well if that's the case, we'd better be ready because Mizzou is going to be trying to deliver an grade A @$$-whooping that won't quit........this whole idea, "We'll win because we're going to fight harder....." Yeah right......I don't get where this sudden arrogance is coming from in the Hog base, but it sounds like everyone is treating the rest of our schedule like it's NMST, and, well, we didn't play that great in that one either, and that was Sun Belt program....

Vanderbilt has given up 199 points in its last 4 games.

Maybe you think the Hogs should pack it in. I doubt they will.

Roaringboar

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 16, 2017, 10:13:11 pm
Vanderbilt has given up 199 points in its last 4 games.

Maybe you think the Hogs should pack it in. I doubt they will.

Not saying they will, but to say the rest of the SEC will and just crumble to our "fighting spirit" is just ridiculous.......the season doesn't start over Saturday.......the failure just continues on deeper into October.....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 16, 2017, 10:16:40 pm
Not saying they will, but to say the rest of the SEC will and just crumble to our "fighting spirit" is just ridiculous.......the season doesn't start over Saturday.......the failure just continues on deeper into October.....

Did someone say the rest of the SEC will crumble to the Hogs' fighting spirit?  Link? 

You have no idea what will happen the rest of the season. Just an opinion like everyone else.

Dropkick

I think after going 2-4 in the first six we will come back and go 2-4 in this new season too. Hope I'm wrong.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 16, 2017, 09:39:30 am
We're heading into the 2nd half of the season Saturday. We have a new QB with swagger and a cannon where an arm should be. We have a new lineup on the offensive line that showed potential. As bad as things have gone thus far, WE CAN STILL FINISH WITH 9 WINS! That includes a bowl win of course. Everyone left on our schedule have had games where they looked just as bad if not worse than we have. The game against Auburn should be the most difficult of the bunch, but a win there could snowball into a successful finish! GO HOGS!

I don't even know if I want that.  I have 0 faith in Bret, even if he does that.  It'd just be another example of him taking too long to get a talented team playing at a high level. 

rzrbackramsfan

Not all wins or losses are equal. Take last weekend as an example. Even though it was 41-9, I took some positives away based on how we got after it. We played hard. Had we lost 66-3, I wouldn't have felt that way.

By the same token, we let New Mexico State hang around and beat them by a couple of touchdowns. Had that been a 49-7 type of game, fans likely would have taken a completely different vibe away from it.

Against South Carolina, we did nothing offensively in the second half. Nothing. Frank Ragnow all but said that we quit. Consequently, I came away with a totally different feeling than I would have had if we had played our asses off and lost 24-21.

Context doesn't matter in a won/loss record; it does in how those wins and losses are perceived.

The thing about the Alabama game is that it's really easy to get up and play your best for that game.  You're pumped up to play the best, everyone thinks you will get dominated so nothing to lose, and the other team doesn't respect you. 

We had all three of those things going for us and Bama toyed with us to a tune of a 41-9. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rude1 on October 16, 2017, 07:49:37 pm
Hold on to the rope..............
Love that helmet. One heartbeat.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

I hear you. The 56-3 loss to Auburn last year was enough of a show of lack of competence and control that I would have fired Bielema the next morning if I had been the AD. We would not be going through all of this right now if that had occurred.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HardCore

What Season?  Muzzleloader Season?  Football Season is over.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Mr Jade

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 16, 2017, 10:23:59 pm
Did someone say the rest of the SEC will crumble to the Hogs' fighting spirit?  Link? 

You have no idea what will happen the rest of the season. Just an opinion like everyone else.

I hope that Arkansas wins out the rest of the season. I hope the Bret proves that he is a good coach capable of winning games and taking us to the level that we want.

I don't expect that at all. I expect us to lose 3-5 games in the upcoming weeks. I expect Bielema to be fired. Expectations and hopes often are not the same thing.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 17, 2017, 10:24:16 am
So posters who say the Hogs are not going to win out are whiners?  What do you look at when you watch a FB game?  I’m curious because I’ve seen post maligning Auburn, LSU, and even Clemson.  That’s called stupidity!  When I watch a game I don’t just look at touchdowns.  I look at the physicality and speed on the field.  Auburn and LSU are just as fast to the ball as Bama.  They are physically strong across the board.  Did LSU lose to Troy?  That’s called an upset my friend and can happen to any team on any Saturday, que up OU, Clemson, Washington, WSU!  No sunshine, we will struggle to score against Auburn and LSU and will not be able to keep up with the multitude of points Ole Miss, MSU, and Mizzou will put up.  If Mizzou hung those points on a salty UGA defense, what the hell do you think they will hang on us?  Stop the silly pipe dream!
Brilliant.

Roaringboar

So posters who say the Hogs are not going to win out are whiners?  What do you look at when you watch a FB game?  I'm curious because I've seen post maligning Auburn, LSU, and even Clemson.  That's called stupidity!  When I watch a game I don't just look at touchdowns.  I look at the physicality and speed on the field.  Auburn and LSU are just as fast to the ball as Bama.  They are physically strong across the board.  Did LSU lose to Troy?  That's called an upset my friend and can happen to any team on any Saturday, que up OU, Clemson, Washington, WSU!  No sunshine, we will struggle to score against Auburn and LSU and will not be able to keep up with the multitude of points Ole Miss, MSU, and Mizzou will put up.  If Mizzou hung those points on a salty UGA defense, what the hell do you think they will hang on us?  Stop the silly pipe dream!

I agree 100%.......that's what I don't understand, is how there are still people out there saying we can hang with Auburn, "Oh it'll be a closer game than you think".......Based on what evidence.......Auburn still has a top 20 defense, and a top notch offense......It was wrong they dropped from 10th to 22nd after just their second loss to a team that still obviously belonged in the top 25, which LSU now is........everyone keeps saying that, "Oh our boys are going to try and rally and fight on, and at the end of the day our fighting spirit will change everything"

WELL........Auburn has a chance to go 10-2.....Miss State could finish 10-2.......LSU could finish 10-2......Ole Miss could possibly shock us all and go 9-3........Who knows, maybe even Mizzou runs the table like we did that time and finishes 6-6 to get into a bowl game........everyone has a reason to fight right now, just like us, so this idea that these other teams are just going to play half-heartedy is ridiculous.......I think Bama played Saturday without any real agression......that'll be the only sleep-walk opponent we play this season where they just kind of go through the motions......

bphi11ips

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 12:19:33 pm
I agree 100%.......that's what I don't understand, is how there are still people out there saying we can hang with Auburn, "Oh it'll be a closer game than you think".......Based on what evidence.......Auburn still has a top 20 defense, and a top notch offense......It was wrong they dropped from 10th to 22nd after just their second loss to a team that still obviously belonged in the top 25, which LSU now is........everyone keeps saying that, "Oh our boys are going to try and rally and fight on, and at the end of the day our fighting spirit will change everything"

WELL........Auburn has a chance to go 10-2.....Miss State could finish 10-2.......LSU could finish 10-2......Ole Miss could possibly shock us all and go 9-3........Who knows, maybe even Mizzou runs the table like we did that time and finishes 6-6 to get into a bowl game........everyone has a reason to fight right now, just like us, so this idea that these other teams are just going to play half-heartedy is ridiculous.......I think Bama played Saturday without any real agression......that'll be the only sleep-walk opponent we play this season where they just kind of go through the motions......

Colonel - here's a whiner.  What a great couple of teammates you and this guy would be. 

Had either of you shown up to talk about football during preseason, you could have joined in threads where I said Arkansas could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3.  TCU and A&M were pivotal games.  They were winnable games as we saw.  With losses in both South Carolina on the road wasn't a good draw.  Alabama was a guaranteed loss, period.  Auburn is all but a guaranteed loss and so is LSU.  Talent and speed - as the Colonel says.  That leaves four games that are winnable, just like TCU and A&M. 

Not sure what either of you gain by putting words in my mouth.  It is a given that every team Arkansas plays will fight to win.  That's why these guys work year round.  Arkansas needs to do the same.  They can certainly go 4-2 over the last six games.  If you want to insist they can't, go ahead.  Then you can come back and say "I told you so" if they don't. 

Roaringboar

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 12:51:49 pm
Colonel - here's a whiner.  What a great couple of teammates you and this guy would be. 

Had either of you shown up to talk about football during preseason, you could have joined in threads where I said Arkansas could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3.  TCU and A&M were pivotal games.  They were winnable games as we saw.  With losses in both South Carolina on the road wasn't a good draw.  Alabama was a guaranteed loss, period.  Auburn is all but a guaranteed loss and so is LSU.  Talent and speed - as the Colonel says.  That leaves four games that are winnable, just like TCU and A&M. 

Not sure what either of you gain by putting words in my mouth.  It is a given that every team Arkansas plays will fight to win.  That's why these guys work year round.  Arkansas needs to do the same.  They can certainly go 4-2 over the last six games.  If you want to insist they can't, go ahead.  Then you can come back and say "I told you so" if they don't.

WOW, YOU THOUGHT WE COULD GO ANYWHERE BETWEEN 3-9 AND 9-3........so that's like not even a prediction.........it's like saying, "Yeah I think we could win anywhere between 1-7 games........Great insights there.....

And I like how you think it's okay to get mad at us and bash us when we say things against Bert and his awful team, but then think it's wrong for us to call you people out on this "We can easily win out" garbage......

bphi11ips

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 01:55:21 pm
WOW, YOU THOUGHT WE COULD GO ANYWHERE BETWEEN 3-9 AND 9-3........so that's like not even a prediction.........it's like saying, "Yeah I think we could win anywhere between 1-7 games........Great insights there.....

And I like how you think it's okay to get mad at us and bash us when we say things against Bert and his awful team, but then think it's wrong for us to call you people out on this "We can easily win out" garbage......

You have serious problems with reading comprehension. 

The Razorbacks are not an awful team. They are a pretty good team. They have four losses - one on the road to one of the best college teams you'll ever see, one at home to an undefeated team with the most seniors in the country, one in OT to a 5-2 team, and one on the road to a 5-2 team that beat a 6-1 ACC team.

Arkansas played well enough in every game but Alabama to win. They weren't going to win that one anyway. There were six toss up games on the schedule. We lost the first three. There are three left. If we win those we will probably finish 6-6.

Roaringboar

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 03:30:14 pm

The Razorbacks are not an awful team. They are a pretty good team. They have four losses - one on the road to one of the best college teams you’ll ever see, one at home to an undefeated team with the most seniors in the country, one in OT to a 5-2 team, and one on the road to a 5-2 team that beat a 6-1 ACC team.

Arkansas played well enough in every game but Alabama to win. They weren’t going to win that one anyway. There were six toss up games on the schedule. We lost the first three. There are three left. If we win those we will probably finish 6-6.

WOW....We aren't an awful team.......we are 2-4 and ranked last in the SEC right along Mizzou and Tennesse, ESPN's power poll ranked us at 11th only because Jones is probably going to be gone in the next couple of weeks and that'll throw them into chaos......WE ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE SEC WEST........and yeah, we're losing to good teams.....but do you know what it's called when you lose every game you play against a good team......they call that being a BAD team........We will not win six games, we will not beat Auburn, LSU, Miss State, or Ole Miss.........wow, 2-4 and ranked last in the SEC West and we're not an awful team.......and you Bielemers all say that I don't know anything about college football......And let's not overlook the fact we've been outscored by these "good teams" by a grand score of 167-81....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 17, 2017, 03:34:10 pm
WOW....We aren't an awful team.......we are 2-4 and ranked last in the SEC right along Mizzou and Tennesse, ESPN's power poll ranked us at 11th only because Jones is probably going to be gone in the next couple of weeks and that'll throw them into chaos......WE ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE SEC WEST........and yeah, we're losing to good teams.....but do you know what it's called when you lose every game you play against a good team......they call that being a BAD team........We will not win six games, we will not beat Auburn, LSU, Miss State, or Ole Miss.........wow, 2-4 and ranked last in the SEC West and we're not an awful team.......and you Bielemers all say that I don't know anything about college football......And let's not overlook the fact we've been outscored by these "good teams" by a grand score of 167-81....

If you actually knew anything about football you'd understand that Arkansas trailed TCU 14-7 with 3 minutes left in the game.  TCU had third and long near midfield when a PI call gave them a first down on an overthrown ball.  Change that call and the Hogs have the ball right where they had it when they won in Fort Worth.  The last 7 points were a gimme and meaningless.

At A&M AA threw into coverage when he should have thrown the ball away.  We lose in OT.

At SC, AA's third quarter melt down changed the game.  SC scored 21 defensive points in a 26 point win.

TCU is better than expected.  A&M and South Carolina are pretty good.  Arkansas is pretty good.  When pretty good teams play each other, the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.  If you knew anything about football you would know that.

If you knew anything about punctuation, you would not separate random thoughts with elipses. 

jst01

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 04:03:46 pm
When pretty good teams play each other, the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.  If you knew anything about football you would know that.

And in 4.5 seasons, more times than not we continue to be the team that makes more mistakes than the opponent. Gets old.

Roaringboar

If you actually knew anything about football you'd understand that Arkansas trailed TCU 14-7 with 3 minutes left in the game.  TCU had third and long near midfield when a PI call gave them a first down on an overthrown ball.  Change that call and the Hogs have the ball right where they had it when they won in Fort Worth.  The last 7 points were a gimme and meaningless.

At A&M AA threw into coverage when he should have thrown the ball away.  We lose in OT.

At SC, AA's third quarter melt down changed the game.  SC scored 21 defensive points in a 26 point win.

TCU is better than expected.  A&M and South Carolina are pretty good.  Arkansas is pretty good.  When pretty good teams play each other, the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.  If you knew anything about football you would know that.

If you knew anything about punctuation, you would not separate random thoughts with elipses.

OH, TRUST ME, I KNOW THE SCORE OF THAT GAME, I FREQUENTLY REMIND PEOPLE IN MY POSTS ALL OF THE TIME, AND HOW OUR AWFUL TEAM GAVE UP 14 POINTS IN THAT 3 MINUTE SPAN......and A&M and South Carolina are decent, but they are struggling just like we are, and we didn't just lose to them, we lost in STYLE......We blew our lead against A&M, then we just looked like jack@$$e$$ in Columbia........and as for the elipses......it's......sort.....of a style.....thing.....I.......like to do........it sort of indicates.......I'm pausing to........think for a bit.......I'm.......sorry.....if they......upset.....you......I just........like how they.......help me organize........my thoughts....... :D :D :D............Oh, and if you knew anything about football, since we're in this two-year old "No you're dumber" fest, then you would know that if you are 2-4 at the middle of the season, ranked last in your division, and ranked sub-50 in both overall offense and defense, you would know that your team just sucks......and we do right now......we......just......suck.......uh-oh......there....go them.....elipses......again......... :D :D :D

Roaringboar

Let me also sum up what you're saying here.......we collapse A LOT.......we turn the ball over A LOT......we lose games.....A LOT......so in other words we've been awful this season.......A LOT

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 03:30:14 pm

The Razorbacks are not an awful team. They are a pretty good team. They have four losses - one on the road to one of the best college teams you'll ever see, one at home to an undefeated team with the most seniors in the country, one in OT to a 5-2 team, and one on the road to a 5-2 team that beat a 6-1 ACC team.

Arkansas played well enough in every game but Alabama to win. They weren't going to win that one anyway. There were six toss up games on the schedule. We lost the first three. There are three left. If we win those we will probably finish 6-6.

I see your point, but I have a question. At what point do we tire of trying to take some consolation in being a "pretty good" 6-6 or 7-5 team just because of our conference affiliation?

If I was an Alabama fan, a Georgia fan, aLSU fan, etc., and I saw a Razorback fan chanting "SEC! SEC!" I'd laugh out loud. What the hell have we done since 1992?

Yeah, we have a history worth talking about...in the SWC. In the SEC, we're losers.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 16, 2017, 04:05:09 pm
We competed well in every game but Alabama.  24 defensive points cooked the Hogs in Columbia, and those were the QB's fault.

I would say that USCe was the only game we didn't complete well in, especially in the 2nd half.  Alabama just out manned and out coached us.

I think the Auburn game will surprise a lot of people.  I'm not ready to fold just yet.

Inhogswetrust

October 17, 2017, 04:18:54 pm #124 Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:49:06 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 12:51:49 pm

Of those four winnable, one we will be favored. IF they lose it then the fire Bret crowd will grow bigger and louder. Loose it and Jeff himself might join that crowd if he hasn't already.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Respectfully disagree that Arkansas is pretty good. Even if they do go 4 - 2 the rest of the season as you said they can certainly do. 6 -6 is not a pretty good team. It's only average at best.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 04:13:50 pm
I see your point, but I have a question. At what point do we tire of trying to take some consolation in being a "pretty good" 6-6 or 7-5 team just because of our conference affiliation?

If I was an Alabama fan, a Georgia fan, aLSU fan, etc., and I saw a Razorback fan chanting "SEC! SEC!" I'd laugh out loud. What the hell have we done since 1992?

Well, more than Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, UK, SC, Mizz and A&M in football

Roaringboar

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 04:15:49 pm
I would say that USCe was the only game we didn't complete well in, especially in the 2nd half.  Alabama just out manned and out coached us.

I think the Auburn game will surprise a lot of people.  I'm not ready to fold just yet.

No because we weren't competitive against TCU either because yet again we collapsed......had we only lost by 7 I'd say "Yeah, it was competitive" but we let them hang 14 more on us in the final 3 minutes.....then we blew the lead to Carolina.......look, neither A&M nor South Carolina were ranked in the top 25 when we went down to them, and we blew it to A&M, and we really sucked against Carolina......Auburn is ranked in the top 25 with losses to two current top 25 teams, one that had been in the top 25 until the Troy game, and the other to top 10 Clemson, both games they lost by less than 10 points........Auburn is a good football team.....4-2 with a chance to win out.......Arkansas is 2-4 and is not leading in any stat category and has nothing going for it right now except desperation......that isn't enough......Auburn will roll us.....They aren't just good, they are top 15 good.......they just simply got screwed in the polls when they dropped from 10 to 23 in a week where 7 top 25 teams, four being top 10, got upset......

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 04:15:49 pm

Auburn game shouldn't surprise anyone...both teams are completely unpredictable and could lose to or blow out the other team.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Sweet Feet

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:08:56 am
Friends, Auburn is 5-2 and 3-1 in SEC with the only SEC loss AT LSU in a very close game, by 4 points. Auburn's only other loss is to Clemson by score of 14-6. They pounded Missouri, Miss St and Ole Miss, scoring 51, 49 and 44 points respectively.  In other words, they don't lose to mediocre to bad teams. Not only do they not lose to them, they punish them.

Arkansas is 2-4 and 0-3 in SEC. In their 3 SEC games, the Hogs have given up 50, 48 and 41 points.

Don't forget had it not been for a missed WR in the redzone and a endzone INT, NMSU would've had 35

HognotinMemphis

I saw in the paper today that Auburn is up to a 14.5 point favorite. Part of this may be due to AA not playing. Nevertheless, being a 2 TD+ dog at home to a team not in top 15 is a embarrassing.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 04:51:14 pm
I saw in the paper today that Auburn is up to a 14.5 point favorite. Part of this may be due to AA not playing. Nevertheless, being a 2 TD+ dog at home to a team not in top 15 is a embarrassing.

Hogs qb has nothing to do with the line, I promise you!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 04:13:50 pm

Yeah, we have a history worth talking about...in the SWC. In the SEC, we're losers.

Losers?  C'mon man. 

We knew when we joined the SEC that Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU were historically well ahead of us.  Auburn was neck and neck.  Florida was becoming a juggernaut, but it may have been too early to tell exactly how strong the Gators would become under Spurrier. 

By the time Broyles made his "we're about 7 or 8 in the SEC" comment he was right, and no one should have been surprised.  Seven anyway.  Not much has changed since.  Arkansas is in the midst of its worst 5 year run in 60 years.  Maybe A&M is now ahead of us.  I'd say ir's too early to tell.  Give our new facilities a few years to kick in.  We'll still recruit about the same comparatively, but that has been an historic constant.

Arkansas is about a 50-50 SEC team if you take away the last 5 years.  At no time during the first 20 years in the SEC did Arkansas have a coach equal to Broyles, Holtz or Hatfield.  Yet, we went to 3 SEC championship games.  We beat every team in the West on a regular basis. 

Just because things aren't going well at this time doesn't mean Arkansas is a losing program. 

Tusks

wow the drunkeness in this thread is impressive.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 17, 2017, 04:22:03 pm
Respectfully disagree that Arkansas is pretty good. Even if they do go 4 - 2 the rest of the season as you said they can certainly do. 6 -6 is not a pretty good team. It's only average at best.

The SEC is not down.  There isn't a team in the league this year that isn't pretty good.  Vanderbilt maybe, but they beat Kansas State when the Wildcats were ranked. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the losing streak, but with the exception of Missouri, every team we lost to was as good or better than us, especially on paper. 

Simply put, an average SEC team is pretty good anywhere  else.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 05:02:30 pm
Losers?  C'mon man. 

We knew when we joined the SEC that Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU were historically well ahead of us.  Auburn was neck and neck.  Florida was becoming a juggernaut, but it may have been too early to tell exactly how strong the Gators would become under Spurrier. 

By the time Broyles made his "we're about 7 or 8 in the SEC" comment he was right, and no one should have been surprised.  Seven anyway.  Not much has changed since.  Arkansas is in the midst of its worst 5 year run in 60 years.  Maybe A&M is now ahead of us.  I'd say ir's too early to tell.  Give our new facilities a few years to kick in.  We'll still recruit about the same comparatively, but that has been an historic constant.

Arkansas is about a 50-50 SEC team if you take away the last 5 years.  At no time during the first 20 years in the SEC did Arkansas have a coach equal to Broyles, Holtz or Hatfield.  Yet, we went to 3 SEC championship games.  We beat every team in the West on a regular basis. 

Just because things aren't going well at this time doesn't mean Arkansas is a losing program. 

Why would you choose to remove the last 5 years?  That's what, 18% of Hogs' time in the SEC?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 16, 2017, 09:39:30 am
We're heading into the 2nd half of the season Saturday. We have a new QB with swagger and a cannon where an arm should be. We have a new lineup on the offensive line that showed potential. As bad as things have gone thus far, WE CAN STILL FINISH WITH 9 WINS! That includes a bowl win of course. Everyone left on our schedule have had games where they looked just as bad if not worse than we have. The game against Auburn should be the most difficult of the bunch, but a win there could snowball into a successful finish! GO HOGS!

Bless you and I applaud the hope. I hope you are right, but I have my doubts.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Bonehog

This Saturday or next Saturday?
If you look at your reflection at the bottom of the well
What you see is only on the surface
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath
The measure of the depth can be deceiving
The bottom has a rocky reputation!
                      Joe Walsh

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 17, 2017, 05:15:33 pm
Why would you choose to remove the last 5 years?  That's what, 18% of Hogs' time in the SEC?

Two reasons.

First, you have to go back to the five year period from 1949 to 1953 to find a stretch like the five years from 2012 to 2016.  No one judges Alabama by the 30 years between Bear Bryant and Nick Saban when the Tide finished 12 seasons unranked.

Second, regardless of your opinion of the job currently being done by Bret Bielema and his staff, there is simply no denying that Arkansas's record for the majority of those five years was the direct result of Bobby Petrino's termination.

FATHAWG08

So posters who say the Hogs are not going to win out are whiners?  What do you look at when you watch a FB game?  I'm curious because I've seen post maligning Auburn, LSU, and even Clemson.  That's called stupidity!  When I watch a game I don't just look at touchdowns.  I look at the physicality and speed on the field.  Auburn and LSU are just as fast to the ball as Bama.  They are physically strong across the board.  Did LSU lose to Troy?  That's called an upset my friend and can happen to any team on any Saturday, que up OU, Clemson, Washington, WSU!  No sunshine, we will struggle to score against Auburn and LSU and will not be able to keep up with the multitude of points Ole Miss, MSU, and Mizzou will put up.  If Mizzou hung those points on a salty UGA defense, what the hell do you think they will hang on us?  Stop the silly pipe dream!
As much as I hate to believe this, it has merit.
I love off season Football!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 05:02:30 pm
Losers?  C'mon man. 

Things haven't gone "well" for most of the last 26 years.

Here are our SEC conference records, by coach:

Joe Kines 3-4-1 (.438)

Danny Ford 16-24-1 (.413)

Houston Nutt 42-38 (.525)

Bobby Petrino 17-15 (.531)

John L. Smith 2-6 (.250)

Bret Bielema 10-25 (.286)

That's 90-112-2 (.446). If you factor out the Bielema Years, we're still just 80-87-2 (.479).

That, my friend, is a losing program.

While I am in favor of a coaching change, the difference between me and a lot of the posters around here is that I believe the picture the numbers paint. I'm under no illusions that we just have to find the "right" coach.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:01:08 pm

Joe Kines 3-4-1 (.438)

John L. Smith 2-6 (.250)

That's 90-112-2 (.446). If you factor out the Bielema Years, we're still just 80-87-2 (.479).

While I am in favor of a coaching change, the difference between me and a lot of the posters around here is that I believe the picture the numbers paint. I'm under no illusions that we just have to find the "right" coach.
Numbers don't lie. We are almost average.
I love off season Football!!

HognotinMemphis

Joe Kines 3-4-1 (.438)

John L. Smith 2-6 (.250)

Totally off top of my head, but I think you may be wrong on the 17-15 SEC record of Petrino. It's better than that by at least a couple of wins.

bphi11ips

Joe Kines 3-4-1 (.438)

John L. Smith 2-6 (.250)

Then you don't know your history, nor do you have any vision.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:33:37 pm
Totally off top of my head, but I think you may be wrong on the 17-15 SEC record of Petrino. It's better than that by at least a couple of wins.

I was surprised, too, but here are the SEC records of his four teams:

2008: 2-6
2009: 3-5
2010: 6-2
2011: 6-2

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:33:37 pm
First couple of years kinda sucked but he don't get a 2 year pass like everyone else. Nutt asked for and got one mid carreer.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 07:47:55 pm
Then you don't know your history, nor do you have any vision.

I know the history; 26 years of it.

Imagine if that history had occurred from 1960 to 1986.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:50:08 pm
I was surprised, too, but here are the SEC records of his four teams:

2008: 2-6
2009: 3-5
2010: 6-2
2011: 6-2
Do not know where you are getting your stats from but this is the U of A website:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/year-by-year-football-results/

You have 2008 wrong. That was 4-4. So there is the 2 games short I referenced. So Petrino's SEC record at U of A was 19-13.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:55:06 pm
Do not know where you are getting your stats from but this is the U of A website:

You have 2008 wrong. That was 4-4. So there is the 2 games short I referenced. So Petrino's SEC record at U of A was 19-13.

The UA media guide has us at 2-6 in 2008, with wins over LSU and Auburn. The stats inside the link on the UA website have us 2-6 as well.

RME

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:55:06 pm

2008, Bobby's first year, was 10,000,000% not 4-4. We won 5 games that entire season. No way 4 of those were conference wins. We beat Auburn and LSU, lost to Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi State.