Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic replacements for Bielema

Started by Hawgwild15, October 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

PLHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 11:27:16 am
sounds like the coach speak just about every 35-45 yr old coach at g5 schools running the spread would say.

He runs a balanced offense - about 50/50, what's the problem with that?  The guy is young, smart, has a very dynamic offensive mind, and appears to be a very good recruiter.  Who are your realistic preferences for a new coach?

ipigsooie

Quote from: Donny2665 on October 12, 2017, 11:32:46 am
Eliah Drinkwitz
I like this one. Not sure it would get a lot of traction but i would be ok with this hire.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on October 12, 2017, 11:34:18 am

He runs a balanced offense - about 50/50, what's the problem with that?  The guy is young, smart, has a very dynamic offensive mind, and appears to be a very good recruiter.  Who are your realistic preferences for a new coach?

I did not say I did not like him. I just think most here are basing their like of him off 2 things, 1 they scored 70 last Sat and 2 he runs the spread and throws the ball alot.  Yet few are on Scott Frost, who's UCF team bootstomped Memphis a couple weeks ago. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PLHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 11:49:10 am
I did not say I did not like him. I just think most here are basing their like of him off 2 things, 1 they scored 70 last Sat and 2 he runs the spread and throws the ball alot.  Yet few are on Scott Frost, who's UCF team bootstomped Memphis a couple weeks ago.

Like I said before, Norvell's offense is basically 50/50 between run and pass, and Frost will be going to Nebraska so he's not gonna be a viable option.

Triple T

1). Brett Venables
2). Mike Leach
3). Charlie Strong

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 11:49:10 am
'

I like the way Coach Frost tore up Memphis.  How long a track record does Frost have.   I think a younger up and comer with a decent length as a head coach to judge his value is the kind of hire we need to make.  I just do not thin

zebradynasty

Brent Venables if he'll take it!! If he can forgive us for the first time we passed him over... that Bryoles Award should smooth things over.

ipigsooie

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 12, 2017, 12:02:09 pm
Brent Venables if he'll take it!! If he can forgive us for the first time we passed him over... that Bryoles Award should smooth things over.

A dream scenario is Venables and he is able to talk Drinkwitz into leaving nc state as an offensive coordinator.

jcul28

Seems mine changes almost daily as far as order so here's my take in any order...

1. Venables- Would be great if he could bring Tony Elliot(co-OC at Clemson) with him
2. Moorhead- Penn St. OC
3. Matt Campbell
4. Jason Candle-Toledo
5. Neal Brown
6. Bryan Harsin
7. Scott Satterfield- App. St.
8. Frank Wilson

Not the biggest names in the business but I, personally, am ready for a fiery up and comer.

sickboy

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:01:15 am

Leach has a really good defense this season.

Porkatarian out...

I like their defensive coordinator. I'd give him a look. He's young and being called a defensive genius. I like that.

HogSlop84

1. Scott Frost
2. Chad Morris
3. Jeff Boehm
4. Greg Schiano
5. Blake Anderson

hogsanity

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 12, 2017, 11:54:34 am
'

I like the way Coach Frost tore up Memphis.  How long a track record does Frost have.   I think a younger up and comer with a decent length as a head coach to judge his value is the kind of hire we need to make.  I just do not thin

If I am not mistakes 2016 was the 1st as a HC for either Frost or Norvell. Frost took over a team that went 0 for the 2015 season and went 6-5 or 6-6 last year. Norvell took over Memphis and went 8-5, not sure what their record was in 2015.

Both are good young coaches.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Porkatarian

My wishlist (no inside information here):

Mike Leach (all the guy does is win with a highflying offense)
Mike Gundy (who's son attends the UofA)
Justin Fuentes (from Tulsa with family there)
Gus Malzahn (I'm afraid that ship has sailed)
Les Miles (a proven winner in the SEC)
Charlie Strong (won at Louisville, was a disaster at Texas)
Jeff Brohm (I'm very high on him)
Matt Campbell (a damn good coach, but no ties in the south)
Chad Morris (high flying offense, can recruit DFW)

* I didn't include Scott Frost, b/c I believe he ends up at Nebraska

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

rhames

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 12:53:32 pm

Porkatarian out...

Co signed.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

DeltaBoy

We will get Larry Fedora from UNC.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 12:44:16 pm
If I am not mistakes 2016 was the 1st as a HC for either Frost or Norvell. Frost took over a team that went 0 for the 2015 season and went 6-5 or 6-6 last year. Norvell took over Memphis and went 8-5, not sure what their record was in 2015.

Both are good young coaches.

Mike Norvell

Born   October 11, 1981 (age 36)
Irving, Texas

Alma mater   University of Central Arkansas

Playing career
2001–2005   Central Arkansas
Position(s)   Wide receiver

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2006   Central Arkansas (GA)
2007–2008   Tulsa (GA/WR)
2009           Tulsa (PGC/WR)
2010           Tulsa (PGC/WR/DR)
2011           Pittsburgh (Co-OC/WR/DR)
2012–2013   Arizona State (OC/QB)
2014–2015   Arizona State (AHC/OC/QB)
2016–present   Memphis

Head coaching record
2016 8-5
2017 4-1
Overall   12–6
Bowls   0-1

ASU OC     
              yds/g    p yds/g   r yds/g   pts/g

2012 (25)  465       259      205       38     
2013 (17)  457      265       191       39
2014 (37)  442      273       168       36
2015 (26)  477      299       178       34

Memphis record before Norvell

2014 10-3
2015  9-4

Scott Frost

Born   January 4, 1975 (age 42)
Wood River, Nebraska

Alma mater   University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Playing career
1993–1994   Stanford
1995–1997   Nebraska
1998–2000   New York Jets
2001   Cleveland Browns
2001–2002   Green Bay Packers
2003   Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Position(s)   Quarterback, Safety

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2002   Nebraska (GA)
2006   Kansas State (GA)
2007   Northern Iowa (LB)
2008   Northern Iowa (Co-DC/LB)
2009–2012   Oregon (WR)
2013–2015   Oregon (OC/QB)
2016–Present   UCF

Head coaching record
2016 6-7
2017 4-0
Overall   10–7
Bowls   0–1

Oregon OC     
              yds/g    p yds/g   r yds/g   pts/g

2013 (2)   565      291       273       45
2014 (1)   547      312       234       45
2015 (08)   538      258       279       43

UCF record before Frost

2014 9-4
2015 0-12
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

pigatron

Houston Nutt better than John L. Smith

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2017, 10:11:04 am
Where did you hear that?

Towards the end of the following 2015 article is the following sentence.

"Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

lilRockNDubb

Miles would work..
If he makes Sonny Dykes the OC.

GoHogs1091

Steve Campbell   UCA's Head Coach

Has never had a losing season.  Has won a National Championship twice as a Head Coach.  Has coached in the SEC, with Pat Dye at Auburn and Jackie Sherrill at Mississippi State.

http://www.ucasports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=642&mobile=skip

Gary Gibbs   Kansas City Chiefs Linebackers Coach

Gibbs spent 23 years at Oklahoma as a player and Coach.  Over that span, the Sooners appeared in 16 bowl games and won three national championships (1974, 1975 and 1985).  Gibbs cleaned up and saved the OU Football Program from the mess left by Barry Switzer.  Gibbs produced 25 NFL draftees during his head coaching stint at OU despite probation stipulations that severely limited the school's scholarship allotment.  He took OU to 3 bowl games despite the fact OU was only allowed to give out 18 scholarships rather than 25.  He wasn't able to field a team with a full complement of scholarships until 1994, which was his last season at OU.  He has coached in the SEC, 1 season at Georgia and 1 season at LSU.

Gibbs has coached with the following Coaches.

Barry Switzer
Nick Saban
Bill Parcells
Sean Payton
Romeo Crennel (has 5 Super Bowl rings as a Coach)
Andy Reid

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/gary-gibbs/be32eeea-67a7-48df-a167-55d16a99309c

hotdog hog

If Auburn stubs its toe in the upcoming weeks I'd hire Gus. From the area, knows Arkansas and can recruit. Resume speaks for itself. I think he would consider it.

presidenthog

Gundy
Fuente(from tulsa, close to home)
Leach
Morris
Frost
Brohm

Basically in that order.

I'm not super high on norvell as he took over a program already built by fuente. I want a builder this time. Not some dude who took over something already built and sustained it (aka bert)

TNRazorbacker

I like Leach. He's odd and unorthodox and his style of play is perfect for us. He's also made winners out of bottom feeders in two P5 conferences now and we have a lot more upside than both of them. I also think we could get him.

Pork Twain

Why the Frank does Less Miles, Butch Davis or Mark Richt make any list?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

texas tush hog

Quote from: PLHawg on October 12, 2017, 09:56:08 am
Realistically:  Norvell
                    Brohm
                    Morris

Realistically yes,

kp72204

Who built a program without a fertile recruiting ground? The type of athletes we need here to compete, I feel, need to be swayed to come here until we consistently win.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 12, 2017, 12:19:12 am
Can’t be any worse at defense than the bafoon we have now.

And yet old Leach keeps on winning, lol.

jvanhorn

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 12, 2017, 10:36:52 pm
I like Leach. He's odd and unorthodox and his style of play is perfect for us. He's also made winners out of bottom feeders in two P5 conferences now and we have a lot more upside than both of them. I also think we could get him.

At first I thought this was a bad idea, but I am coming more and more to think he might be just what we need.  He is unorthodox, but I think we have proven you probably can't win here using regular methods.  Even Petriono was unorthodox is quite a few way.  We just have access to enough talent to do things the ordinary way.  We need someone that thinks a little out of the box and has proven that his methods work or, at least, have good chance of working.

jvanhorn

Being realistic I would say Leach or the HCs at Purdue and Memphis.  I would include Venebles, but with the job he is doing at Clemson you have to think he is going to get some really great opportunities.

Darren DeLoach

Justin Fuentes - my top pick of those that could be a possibility. Though, it is a super crazy long-shot.
Matt Campbell
Jeff Brohm
Charlie Strong
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris
Frank Wilson
Scott Satterfield
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Pork Twain

Quote from: kp72204 on October 12, 2017, 11:36:49 pm
Who built a program without a fertile recruiting ground? The type of athletes we need here to compete, I feel, need to be swayed to come here until we consistently win.
When compared to the states around us though, there is not really any location within Arkansas that they would consider a fertile recruiting ground.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

jvanhorn

Quote from: Grunt on October 13, 2017, 01:45:34 am
I like Matt Campbell and Skip Holtz.

Yeah, I forgot about him.  I could live with Skip Holtz.  He seems to have his dads coaching talent without all the wackiness.  He has always spoken well of growing  up in Arkansas.   Could be a great match.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 12:53:32 pm

Porkatarian out...
I agree with most of your list, but would add Skip Holtz, Jay Norvell and Blake Anderson on the outside looking in.

David†

Bill Snyder
June Jones
Barry Switzer
Lou Holtz

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on October 12, 2017, 04:17:37 pm
Miles would work..
If he makes Sonny Dykes the OC.
That would be quite a duo there.  Dykes is a great recruiter.  Les isn't too shabby himself. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rhames

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 12, 2017, 04:04:11 pm
Towards the end of the following 2015 article is the following sentence.

"Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

Thanks
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

redleg

I am impressed with Greg Schiano.
He was the DC for the Miami Hurricanes in 1999 and 2000 when Butch Davis was the head coach. Then he was the head coach at Rutgers from 2001 to 2011, where he completely turned around a losing program and made them highly competitive, especially in his last 6 seasons after he had established his recruits in the program. He foolishly left to coach the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, becoming one more college coach that failed in the NFL (a group that includes Nick Saban), but he is now the DC at Ohio St.
Schiano has the head coaching experience and was successful, and he is also a defensive minded coach that might be able to transform the Razorback defense into a solid unit. His offenses at Rutgers were solid and balanced. Schiano won games with a pounding running attack, an efficient passing game that had the ability to create big plays, and great defense.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 12, 2017, 12:13:23 am
The first 3 names on that list would be major screw up hires!  Leach never had a defense and with no D, losing will become the norm in the SEC.  Les Miles is an idiot and couldn't do anything with all that talent at LSU, so what do you think he could do with less talent at UA.  And Strong, please, I definitely don't want a UT has been and he stunk up the program at UT any way.
do you even football? Wazzou has a NASTY ASS DEFENSE< and the best young DC in the game, with the best EVER DC name- The Grinch!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Maddhog

I like to watch Leach's offense but he is only one or two games above .500 at WSU and his personality may be a bit much.     My top choice among possible "gettables" is Venables with an OC that blows the doors off.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 12, 2017, 06:41:50 am
Charles Rene Strong. 58 years old. Current coach of USF Bulls who are 5-0 this season. Knows the SEC. Architect of killer Gamecock and Gator defenses. As Head Coach of Louisville led school to BCS Sugar Bowl win. Outstanding Recruiter with deep connections to fertile Florida and Texas regions. Demands player accountability. You will have your ass in class. Born and raised in Arkansas.

Oh, and Texas still owes him $5 - $7 million. So that subsidizes his salary here, which can be used to pay off CBB.

Would probably work out well. If he doesn't win the cupboard will be full when he leaves...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I could do a better job than Beilema as could half the arm chair quarterbacks in the country, and we will do it for a tenth of the pay. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2017, 10:11:04 am

Where did you hear that?
You know better than to ask Guv for a source...

The_Iceman

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 13, 2017, 12:10:11 pm
You know better than to ask Guv for a source...

His source is him just pulling crazy ideas out of his arse.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Maddhog on October 13, 2017, 11:07:23 am
I like to watch Leach's offense but he is only one or two games above .500 at WSU and his personality may be a bit much.     My top choice among possible "gettables" is Venables with an OC that blows the doors off.

Please, do just a little bit of research on Mike Leach and Washington State before making a statement about his overall record there. Here, I'll save you the trouble:

2-11
1-11
2-10
4-8

That's Washington State before he got there. With a roster and program that bad, it takes a full 3 years to rebuild. After a 12-25 start at Washington State, he is now:

9-4
8-5
6-0 (Currently #9 in the Country!)

Anyone who can't see what he did there is ignorant. He would be am excellent hire here.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bondhue on October 12, 2017, 01:04:39 am
1. Venables
2. Kyle Whittngham
3. Norvell
4. Skip Holtz
5. Mike Leach

Skip would be good here.  Haven't thought about him.

+1000

JaketheSnake

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2017, 12:11:57 pm
His source is him just pulling crazy ideas out of his arse.
No doubt.

GoHogs1091 posted an article above that mentions Venables interviewing with UA, but sources and links are beyond Guv.

WilsonHog

Let's make a couple of short lists here.

Bob Stoops
Bobby Petrino
Gus Malzahn
James Franklin
PJ Fleck

Those guys aren't coming. Neither are these:

Lane Kiffin
Kevin Kelley
Blake Anderson
The coach at UCA

Roughly about as likely as monkeys flying out of my ass.