Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hazen transferring to Ball St.

Started by ricepig, May 22, 2017, 12:50:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

ADavisTheGOAT

Dang it, was hoping we could develop him. Best of luck to him.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hog Fan from Camden

Do we take another player for 2017 or save for 2018?

jjdlc

Interesting, I hate to lose the kid, thought he might could develop into a solid role player.

RacinRazorback

I hate to see him go, I always thought he had potential. I always thought he could be an asset from the 3 pt line, good shooting bigs with range are hard to find! Best of luck to him. Hopefully CMA will sign one more now!

The_Iceman

No surprise. Behind Thomas, Cook, and Bailey this year. Behind Perry and Bailey next year.

Hawg Red

Best of luck to Hazen. Some would get their feathers ruffled at the notion, but there was no real path to playing time for the young man once Bailey got the minutes their freshman season. I think he'll have a solid career somewhere (likely in at a mid-major or a semi-mid-major like the AAC or A-10).

If they're going to fill the spot, I'd like to see a big man added right now. I think now is the better than adding a freshmen big in 2018.

navyhog24

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 22, 2017, 01:10:00 pm
Best of luck to Hazen. Some would get their feathers ruffled at the notion, but there was no real path to playing time for the young man once Bailey got the minutes their freshman season. I think he'll have a solid career somewhere (likely in at a mid-major or a semi-mid-major like the AAC or A-10).

If they're going to fill the spot, I'd like to see a big man added right now. I think now is the better than adding a freshmen big in 2018.

I agree. If we can't, maybe try to get back in on Rodgerick Brown since he reclassified to '17

Kevin McPherson

I've known about this for awhile, but couldn't report it till today because it was not set in stone. Hogs have options IF they choose to fill that spot now and not hold it over for the 2018 class.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 22, 2017, 01:29:21 pm
I've known about this for awhile, but couldn't report it till today because it was not set in stone. Hogs have options IF they choose to fill that spot now and not hold it over for the 2018 class.

Are you able to share some of those options? Rod Brown?

NWAHog479

Dwight_K_Shrute

Great kid and family.  Wish him nothing but the best.  He seemed to be enjoying his time on the Hill but competitive guys want to play. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

skinnypig

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 22, 2017, 02:31:58 pm
Dislike the move, but totally understand it and a lot saw it coming. Frustrating to see the microwave atmosphere in college basketball where everything is immediate satisfaction. That's what the one and done rule has done to CBB. This is a guy that could have been a redshirt candidate, developed and eventually contributed as a good role player. But it's all about the now... Oh well, hopefully the spot is used smartly. Player likely won't play much next year, so if they feel they need to keep it open for another next year, wouldn't be opposed.

The future didn't look great for him either with Bailey, Perry, and Henderson.

Dislike the move, but totally understand it and a lot saw it coming. Frustrating to see the microwave atmosphere in college basketball where everything is immediate satisfaction. That's what the one and done rule has done to CBB. This is a guy that could have been a redshirt candidate, developed and eventually contributed as a good role player. But it's all about the now... Oh well, hopefully the spot is used smartly. Player likely won't play much next year, so if they feel they need to keep it open for another next year, wouldn't be opposed.
What if he was encouraged to look elsewhere? (I don't know that he was).

FineAsSwine

Good luck to him. Hope we can fill that spot this year but ok with saving until 2018. Still, that's one less practice body. May need to look at finding a walk on or two for that.
Hogs up! Covid down!

redleg

Good luck to Hazen.
Now, CMA...go get a graduate transfer center to help out in the paint!  8)
As of right now, Gafford is the only true center on the team for next year. Thompson can play there too, but his more natural position is power forward. If Anderson could get another 6'10" - 7'0" center to transfer in, like Willy Kouassi, even if it is for only one season, it would really help the development of Gafford as well as give him needed breathers in every game.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawginbigd1

Wow didn't see that coming sarcasm off

Porked Tongue

Weird departure.

Something must have changed in his life as he wanted to be here.

JayHog

Rod Brown, come on down!!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on May 22, 2017, 03:06:43 pm
Here is a list of grad transfers as of May 18. Manny Suarez would be a very interesting transfer!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/4/18/15293782/college-basketball-transfers-2017-18-the-best-grad-players-available
:razorback:

Didn't we recruit Zach Lofton back in the day?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 22, 2017, 01:30:48 pm
Are you able to share some of those options? Rod Brown?

Several things moving right now, can't talk about it without compromising players and coaches. Several things expected to shake out over the next couple of weeks, though.

niels_boar

Odd that he waited this late to transfer.  Wish him the best.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HoopS

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Karma on May 22, 2017, 02:43:43 pm
What if he was encouraged to look elsewhere? (I don't know that he was).

No...Mike had him pegged to be a big that stretch the defense due to his perimeter shooting.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BannerMountainMan

Good!! That can make our roster even better!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 22, 2017, 05:16:06 pm
No...Mike had him pegged to be a big that stretch the defense due to his perimeter shooting.

Yeah, from his comments Haven was not encouraged to look for a new home.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hogimus Prime

Kinda odd.  I really thought Hazen would be a contributer either this year or next even with Perry and Henderson coming in.

HognitiveDissonance

Hog Fan from Camden

I thought he would at some point contribute also.  Best of luck to the kid!

The Hogfather

I agree!  Frank!

nwahogfan1

I am a big believer of the Red shirt program but I guess me and you are kind of alone in that idea.  I am not sure if Hazen would have left if he red shirted last year.  He would have 4 more years to play here and 3 more somewhere else.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: JayHog on May 22, 2017, 03:47:28 pm
Rod Brown, come on down!!!!

I like Rod Brown but wouldn't he be another 6'6 man having to play the 4 spot.  Why not get a 6'9+ guy who can back up Gafford.  Surely there is a long armed big man out there who might be able to play offense outside of 4 feet but can give us some minutes in the paint playing defense and rebounding.  I just do not want to get a bunch of clones but guys who are good at what we need the most.

yraciv

Bet he heads to Valpo to play with his brother. Playing for a good midmajor, near home, with a team that just graduated a likely NBA draft pick stretch 4, has to be intriguing.

azhog10

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 22, 2017, 08:54:32 pm
Yeah, from his comments Haven was not encouraged to look for a new home.
Until Rod Brown became more possible.

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 22, 2017, 11:15:44 pm
I like Rod Brown but wouldn't he be another 6'6 man having to play the 4 spot.  Why not get a 6'9+ guy who can back up Gafford.  Surely there is a long armed big man out there who might be able to play offense outside of 4 feet but can give us some minutes in the paint playing defense and rebounding.  I just do not want to get a bunch of clones but guys who are good at what we need the most.
Brown plays bigger than 6'6. He can guard just about as big as he needs to.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: azhog10 on May 22, 2017, 11:42:34 pm
Until Rod Brown became more possible.

Well that at least was not the impression I got from Mike's comments on it
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

JayHog

Quote from: azhog10 on May 22, 2017, 11:43:52 pm
Brown plays bigger than 6'6. He can guard just about as big as he needs to.

He is undersized for the position he will probably play in college. But so was Corliss, and we all saw what he did. I'm not making him out to be the next coming of Corliss, but I do bring up the comparison to say this: if you can play, you can play. And the old saying, "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".
But let me also add this, because of our up and down size, we often play undersized at the 3, 4, and 5 spots.  And that's by design because we run the other teams big man into the ground and we win a lot of games in the last 5 minutes of ballgames.  I mean, we had Manny Watkins (who I love) playing the 4 spot at times last year for God's sake!  If Manny can do it, I promise Rod Brown can hold it down.
If he comes here, let's do a position by position comparison after every game. After Brown starts getting significant minutes (this year, next year, the next, etc) I bet you Brown ends up with more rebounds every game than the taller power forward that's guarding him.

JayHog

Quote from: JayHog on May 23, 2017, 12:40:34 am
He is undersized for the position he will probably play in college. But so was Corliss, and we all saw what he did. I'm not making him out to be the next coming of Corliss, but I do bring up the comparison to say this: if you can play, you can play. And the old saying, "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".  So I'll just call him "Baby Corliss" if he comes here.
But let me also add this, because of our up and down style, we often play undersized at the 3, 4, and 5 spots.  And that's by design because we run the other teams big man into the ground and we win a lot of games in the last 5 minutes of ballgames.  I mean, we had Manny Watkins (who I love) playing the 4 spot at times last year for God's sake!  If Manny can do it, I promise Rod Brown can hold it down.
If he comes here, let's do a position by position comparison after every game. After Brown starts getting significant minutes (this year, next year, the next, etc) I bet you Brown ends up with more rebounds every game than the taller power forward that's guarding him.

HogBeliever625

May 23, 2017, 07:32:50 am #41 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:11:14 am by HogBeliever625
Good luck to Hazen in the future. Seemed like a good dude, but was never going to be a SEC caliber basketball player. Hopefully we get a better player with the new scholarship

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

azhog10

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 23, 2017, 12:03:16 am
Well that at least was not the impression I got from Mike's comments on it
Maybe, maybe not. But CMA can't comment on Brown if he wanted to.

ArkansasI

I, too, am disappointed that Hazen is transferring.  I thought he screamed potential.  Many players his age are still growing... I think he might mature into a difficult match-up at the 2-3.  Good luck to him.

If we don't have a nice freshman option, there are a couple of transfers on the list that look like they can play.  I like Georgetown's Akoy Agau, F: 6'8, 230.  He appears to be a big body that contributed to a team that faces good competition.  Plug-n-play.

HawgTrough

That stinks. Seems like a really good kid that has potential. Was quite the hustler in his limited minutes.
WPS

King Kong

Very talented play. Probably will be all conference player in a non P5 conference

Big Nasty 34

HogBeliever625

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 23, 2017, 08:51:45 am
I, too, am disappointed that Hazen is transferring.  I thought he screamed potential.  Many players his age are still growing... I think he might mature into a difficult match-up at the 2-3.  Good luck to him.

If we don't have a nice freshman option, there are a couple of transfers on the list that look like they can play.  I like Georgetown's Akoy Agau, F: 6'8, 230.  He appears to be a big body that contributed to a team that faces good competition.  Plug-n-play.

I don't get the disappointment from everyone. We were in need of a 4 last year and this kid never saw the floor. Not very athletic. The guys we have now and coming in are better then him by a wide margin.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on May 23, 2017, 10:42:11 am
I don't get the disappointment from everyone. We were in need of a 4 last year and this kid never saw the floor. Not very athletic. The guys we have now and coming in are better then him by a wide margin.

I agree with you.
#NolanRichardsonCourt