Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy rape case update

Started by jbcarol, September 19, 2013, 08:15:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  7 hours ago
Rape trial spurs discussion of hostess role at Vanderbilt http://tnne.ws/1BYVyGJ  via @tennessean #vandytrial #nashville #vandy
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  10 seconds ago

#Vandytrial jury deliberations expected today http://tnne.ws/1C2OVmJ

Cory Batey will testify. #vandytrial

Cory Batey testifies: 1 of 13 siblings. Mother works at Vanderbilt clinic; his father died when he was 5 #vandytrial

Batey: some disciplinary issues at Ensworth in the wake of his father's death from lung cancer, "struggling to find guidance." #vandytrial

Prosecutor Moore, Roger Moore has already objected several times to leading questions and to Batey's lengthy answers. #vandytrial

Batey wanted to be first in family to go to college. He's telling stories to jurors but has been halted by objections/judge. #vandytrial

Summer 2013, Batey "always looked for parties." "Women were always involved." Halted again. #vandytrial

I've not heard this many objections thus far. DA Moore objecting; says questions going beyond agreed parameters. #vandytrial

Batey: co-defendant McKenzie called him next morning to delete photos from phone "that I had no recollection of." #vandytrial

Batey: "No recollection." "I was horrified." Didn't recognize woman. Deleted images and continued on to church. #vandytrial

Batey: on Monday didn't go to class, but he did go to football workout. #vandytrial

Batey: "I was terrified of what I had seen in my phone. I didn't recall anything and I heard rumors going around." #vandytrial

Batey: on Tues (25th) didn't go to class. Did go to football workouts, where 11 were "rounded up," taken to student conduct #vandytrial

Batey going over written statement to Vanderbilt officials that "was not the truth." Says he wrote storyline from B. Banks #vandytrial

Batey: "Not the truth" when he spoke to Vanderbilt student conduct officials. #vandytrial

Batey: After interviews, group of players met at Popeye's to discuss cover-up. Background on coverup: http://bit.ly/1CblDkw  #vandytrial

Batey called woman a bitch in text msg. Tells jury he frustrated, "not a term I would normally use to describe anybody." #vandytrial

Batey: night of Tues 25th, Coach James Franklin held team mtg, named individuals related to case. Wed 26th suspended. #vandytrial

Recall: Rape defendants said coerced by officials http://tnne.ws/1vNLifB  Denied by official testimony http://tnne.ws/1xpHiBh  #vandytrial

Batey: on June 27, Vandy ADA Kevin Colon called him to interview w/ MNPD Det. Jason Mayo. He was "not truthful." Gave DNA. #vandytrial

Def atty Robinson walking Batey through some videos. Batey says he has no memory. #vandytrial

Batey: That night before midnight, drank honey whiskey (6 to 8 shots) in dorm room of McKenzie and Banks. #vandytrial

Batey: "Like brothers" with McKenzie and Banks. #vandytrial

Batey: Free/open alcohol at East Hall party that night and had 4 to 6 more shots. That's 10+ shots, by his count. #vandytrial

Batey: Drank 10+ shots and 4+ Lime-a-Ritas. Then "no recollection" of being in Gillette Circle and in Room 213. #vandytrial

Batey: "I never intended on hurting anyone. I was just drunk out of my mind. ... I'm just sorry." #vandytrial

Q: "Mr. Batey do you take responsibility for your conduct?" Batey: "After seeing the footage, I do. It was me." #vandytrial
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

Looks like someone trying to muddy the water.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  8 seconds ago

Batey: There was no pre-plan to rape. He doesn't blame Vandenburg and says Vandenburg wasn't at Popeye's cover-up mtg. #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  8 minutes ago

DA Roger Moore doesn't wait to pounce on cross. "Does that mean you're changing your plea from not guilty to guilty?" #vandytrial

Prosecutor Moore tells Batey not to look to his defense attorney ... is Batey changing his plea? A: "No." #vandytrial

Batey using more "can't recall" answers on cross-exam. Moore: "Were you in an alcoholic blackout at Popeye's?" #vandytrial

Moore: Expert said Batey wasn't faking a mental illness. Q: "That's not a defense you're trying to raise here today?" A: "No." #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  2 minutes ago

In text msg, Batey: "Past year I've just been f****** up." Failed drug test and now "accused of raping a bitch" w/ teammates #vandytrial

DA Moore: "You weren't in an alcoholic blackout when you sent that?" Batey: No, only drank on weekends. #vandytrial

Batey doesn't want to name his girlfriend's last name in open court. Moore: "So you want to protect her?" #vandytrial

Batey can't recall when he woke up Sunday, but he's sure he was on the move to church by 11 a.m. #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  4 minutes ago

Batey: no marijuana incidents at Ensworth [his Nashville high school]. Expert testified Batey twice disciplined by Vanderbilt for marijuana #vandytrial

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  1 hour ago

8 days till Signing Day. #PennState, with 13 4-star commits, primed to land its first Top10 class in 5 years

Related?

jbcarol

When Vanderbilt revised sex misconduct policy (http://tnne.ws/1jik374 ) definition of "blackout" incl. Policy http://bit.ly/1uSb3OH

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  15 seconds ago

Vandy: Blacking out: an amnesia-like state via drugs/drinking; complex behavior possible. http://bit.ly/1uSb3OH  #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  now

DA: "No one forced you to take a drink?" Batey: "w/ pressure of everybody drinking, I just indulged like everybody else" #vandytrial

DA: "So it's not your fault, that's what you want this jury to believe?" Batey: "No gun was held to my head." #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  15 seconds ago

Batey had a pending student assault issue in front of Vandy Student Conduct Ofc when rape case began. #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  29 seconds ago

Moore: "That was the overriding (concern)? That you might get in trouble if they found out you'd been drinking?" #vandytrial

jbcarol

Woman in Vanderbilt rape case vomited during defendant Cory Batey's testimony http://tnne.ws/1C7thxH  #vandytrial

jbcarol

In interview w/ MNPD, Batey said he saw woman vomit that night. On stand, he says all details was fed to him by Banks #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  4 seconds ago

Batey: WR Chris Boyd was "big brother" to Batey in acclimating to campus. They texted about coverup. #vandytrial

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  14 minutes ago

Quick update from testimony so far: Cory Batey takes stand, apologizes in rape trial http://tnne.ws/1C7thxH  via @tennessean #vandytrial

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  1 hour ago

Strange multi-tasking this a.m. - Listening to SEC bball teleconference & #VandyTrial simultaneously

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  7 minutes ago

Cory Batey testimony moves to a packet of 189 text messages between him and girlfriend  (Batey won't name her).

Gf repeat asked Batey what happened. Moore: "Show me 1 time in there where you respond 'I don't remember' / 'was blacked out'" #vandytrial

After reviewing 189 texts, Batey found 1 that included "idk what was going on." #vandytrial

Moore wants to know when Batey's memory came back Sunday. Batey: "On the way to church, I guess" / or McKenzie woke him #vandytrial

Cory Batey was on stand just more than 2.5 hrs. #Vandytrial lunch break, 1 more defense witness to come.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on January 26, 2015, 11:20:14 am

Woman in Vanderbilt rape case vomited during defendant Cory Batey's testimony http://tnne.ws/1C7thxH  #vandytrial

Yeah.....well, I am about ready to vomit,  when I read about this guy, his testimony, & some of the Vanderbilt football team...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  5 minutes ago

Recap of day 11. My legal expert says ex-player's testimony is "Hail Mary" after video evidence http://tnne.ws/1C8VBQ7  #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  2 hours ago
Fletcher Long (for Brandon Vandenburg): "I care what the law is, and they haven't met it." Quoting a famed atty: "What they're doing to this boy ain't right." #vandytrial

Long: Convict on unlawful photography, but Vandenburg didn't aid or abet anyone in rape. #vandytrial

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  37 minutes ago
Prosecutor: "The culture you really saw was entitled athletes thinking the rules don't apply to them." #vandytrial

Prosecutor shows image: "There she is thrown in the hall like a piece of trash by the man she trusted, Brandon Vandenburg." #vandytrial

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  22 minutes ago
Judge Monte Watkins to read the charges and instruct jury on deliberations. This will be lengthy. #vandytrial

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  1 hour ago

Today's #Vandytrial midday update: Intense dueling closing arguments: http://tnne.ws/1JXEu35  via @sbarchenger

Judge finishes jury instructions. They'll get lunch and jury deliberations to begin in #vandytrial

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  3 minutes ago

Court clerk confirms jurors have begun deliberations in Vanderbilt rape trial. Now we wait. #vandytrial

ricepig

AP: BREAKING: Jury convicts 2 former Vanderbilt football players of raping woman inside campus dorm.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2015, 05:11:24 pm
AP: BREAKING: Jury convicts 2 former Vanderbilt football players of raping woman inside campus dorm.

Convicted on all counts. Looking at a 20 year sentence each.

PonderinHog

I switched over to Finebaum at 5:25 or so.  No mention of it.

cosmodrum

Nighty night. Keep ya *** tight.
Go away, batin'

Kyle

They deserve every day of the possible 20 year sentence. They had the chance to get a degree from Vanderbilt and threw it away. Unfortunately the "rules don't apply to athletes" culture is apparent across schools nationwide.

jbcarol

The Tennessean @Tennessean  ·  2 hours ago
Here's a complete list of charges in Vanderbilt rape convictions: http://tnne.ws/1CdLJ7X  #vandytrial

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  2 hours ago
Sentencing will be March 6. Agg rape charges carry serious prison time and mandatory minimums. #vandytrial

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  1 hour ago
Longtime prosecutor Thurman says he's considering retirement, he'll take some time off and decide. #vandytrial

rljjr

Found guilty. Facing decades in prison according to the scroll at the bottom of SEC Network. The other two have yet to go to trial.

jbcarol

The Tennessean @Tennessean  ·  1 hour ago
Vanderbilt chancellor full statement on rape trial http://tnne.ws/1ytpcwb  #VandyTrial

QuoteVanderbilt University Vice Chancellor Beth Fortune issued a statement Tuesday afternoon after a Nashville jury found two former football players guilty on 16 charges in the rape of a student.

Fortune's full statement:

"Our heart goes out to the victim. Her testimony was forceful and brave. She has received our care and support.

"Many months ago Vanderbilt found both defendants responsible for violating our sexual misconduct policy, and we quickly discharged both of them from the football team and subsequently expelled them from the university. We are confident we acted appropriately.

"Since Vanderbilt first reported the incident to the Nashville police, we have given our full cooperation to law enforcement, including the District Attorney's office. We will continue to do so.

"The safety and security of our students is Vanderbilt's top priority. Sexual violence will never be tolerated. Incidents will be investigated, victims will be supported, and perpetrators will be punished. We will also continue our comprehensive ongoing efforts to raise awareness of the importance of every Vanderbilt student intervening when another student is at risk or in distress."

jbcarol

The Tennessean @Tennessean  ·  2 hours ago
Vanderbilt rape victim releases statement after guilty verdict: http://tnne.ws/1uyXq13

QuoteAssistant District Attorney Jan Norman read the statement in full:

"Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout this difficult process. I'm thankful that the criminal justice system will hold the defendants responsible for their violent crimes. The hard work of the law enforcement officers, prosecutors and victims' advocates who dedicated so many months of their lives to this case has made justice possible.

I want to especially thank detective Jason Mayo, Sgt. Mike Shreeve, Detective Chad Gish, Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman, Assistant District Attorneys Jan Norman and Roger Moore and victims' advocates Wanda Swan, Lt. Rochelle Barrios and Teresa Shearon. You are my heroes and I am so proud of and grateful for each of you.

"I am also hopeful that the publicity this case has received will lead to a discussion of how we can end sexual violence on college campuses. Finally, I want to remind other victims of sexual violence: You are not alone. You are not to blame."

A Nashville jury convicted Cory Batey and Brandon Vandenburg on 16 felonies, including several counts of aggravated rape.

The woman, who was 21 and unconscious at the time of the attack, has since graduated and is pursuing her doctorate in another state.

Steef

jb,

Really good job in this thread.

One if the most worthwhile threads on this site.

jbcarol

Quote from: steefhog on January 27, 2015, 09:33:52 pm
jb,

Really good job in this thread.

One if the most worthwhile threads on this site.

Thanks.

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  11 hours ago

Met w/ @MNPDNashville detectives after verdicts in Vanderbilt rape case. Story: http://tnne.ws/18speQf  #vandytrial

QuoteMetro Detective Chad Gish found the "sadistic" photos and images about 2:30 a.m. on July 4, 2013.

Gish called Detective Jason Mayo. Mayo and Sgt. Michael Shreeve immediately converged at the police department in downtown Nashville.

"They were so atrocious and so horrific," Gish said Tuesday of the images that became key evidence in the case against two former Vanderbilt University football players charged with raping an unconscious woman in a dorm in June 2013.

One of the first things that went through Gish's mind: "God, let's hope this is a strong, strong person that's the victim."

KlubhouseKonnected

We really did dodge a bullet in not getting Vandenberg. He is a first rate monster. I never trust the Dutch.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jbcarol

Vanderbilt football under scrutiny after rape verdict

Quote...This isn't going away any time soon just because a jury returned the guilty verdicts in a little more than three hours. This is a national story — an ugly national story. And locking up a couple of rapists doesn't put it to rest...

Dr. James Walker, who testified in Batey's defense, said the records he had reviewed indicated it was a "routine thing" for Vanderbilt athletes who tested positive for drug use to continue to practice and play without significant repercussions or treatment...

As a private school, Vanderbilt is permitted to keep many of its athletic policies under wraps. In open court, there is no such shield...

Some Vanderbilt fans have pointed out — correctly — that the two players convicted and the two awaiting trial never played a down for the Commodores. Batey, Banks and McKenzie were redshirted as first-year players, and Vandenburg arrived on campus after spending two years at a California junior college.

Let's be clear, though: All four were members of the Vanderbilt football team when the rape occurred.

...One of the most concerning things about the whole sordid case is that it probably never would have come to light if there had not been an unrelated incident at that residence hall that night. It was during a review of surveillance camera footage into the other incident that the first indication of a possible rape surfaced.

That surveillance footage triggered harsh scrutiny of the university and its football program continues. And it should.

jbcarol

Vanderbilt rape trial: Defendants found guilty on all charges

Recap from The Tennessean

QuoteThe rape happened in a span of 30 minutes. The case has been pending 19 months. The trial took 12 days. The jury deliberations took just a little more than 3 hours.

When the verdicts came in at 4:52 p.m. Tuesday, former Vanderbilt University football players Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey were found guilty in the rape of an unconscious woman in a dorm on June 23, 2013. The announcement took less than four minutes.

Batey, whose 21st birthday was Tuesday, did not visibly react. But his family members — his mother and uncles and cousins, who filled two rows of court benches — broke into sobs.

Vandenburg, 21, shook his head after the foreman read: "Count 1, we find Mr. Vandenburg guilty of aggravated rape." His father, Rob Vandenburg, yelled out into the courtroom, later wiping his eyes with a scarf. "That is terrible," he said. His grief nearly muted the foreman, who continued reading verdicts. All were guilty...

Penn State University football coach James Franklin, who was the football coach at Vanderbilt during the time of the rape, did not reply to requests for comment...

In trial, jurors watched videos and saw photos of the rape that detectives recovered from Vandenburg's, Batey's and Brandon E. Banks' phones. Banks and Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie, both 20, also are accused in the case. They are awaiting trial.

According to court testimony, Vandenburg and the victim were intoxicated when they arrived at Vandenburg's dorm, Gillette Hall, about 2:30 a.m. June 23, 2013. Vandenburg carried the unconscious woman in and put her on the floor like trash, Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman said in his closing argument.

Jim Todd, who has been analyzing the case for The Tennessean, said putting Batey on the stand Monday was a good defense strategy and "the only strategy they had" when up against graphic photos and videos. Batey admitted some wrongdoing and then apologized in a "Hail Mary" defense, Todd said.

He called Vandenburg's defense, put on by Albert Perez Jr. and Fletcher Long, "the slash and burn approach" because of frequent objections that may have seemed antagonistic to the jury.

Thurman said the trial "could very well be" his final case as he weighs retirement.

Asked about the defendants' theory that the Vanderbilt culture affected Batey's actions, he said: "I don't know how culture can be blamed for someone raping, assaulting and urinating on a victim who's unconscious. I didn't think it merited very much consideration by the jury."

Perez started to tear up when asked about Vandenburg's reaction to the verdict.

"It's very difficult for a person who is young to understand what happened, because he asked me what happened ... ," Perez said as he choked up...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jbcarol on January 25, 2015, 04:23:35 pm
Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  7 hours ago
Rape trial spurs discussion of hostess role at Vanderbilt http://tnne.ws/1BYVyGJ  via @tennessean #vandytrial #nashville #vandy

I have never been comfortable with these programs.

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  17 hours ago

It's nauseating the number of people who could have potentially helped the victim in the Vandy rape trial ... and did nothing.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  25 minutes ago

We answered dozens of your #Vandytrial questions. Review full Q&A here: http://tnne.ws/1K0EnDO

robmckinney @robmckinney  ·  2 hours ago

Here is a link to my comments #Vandytrial http://tnne.ws/1Db6wFR  .Thanks @sbarchenger for asking me to provide the legal commentary.

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  9 hours ago

I talked to two jurors in the Vanderbilt rape case. Their thoughts: http://tnne.ws/1CAi9YR  via @tennessean #vandytrial #sexualassault

Quote"I think by the time we got into the jury room, most people had made up their minds," Todd Easter said. Easter, the jury foreman, said the jurors immediately agreed on verdicts on about half of the charges and then focused discussion on the ones that were more complicated. Agreements were quickly reached on charges where there was "damning" video or photo evidence, Easter said.

He said the "defense did an incredible job, they were essentially given unwinnable cases and turned it essentially into the longest, hardest-fought legal battle." He said he did not believe Batey's testimony that Batey did not remember anything because he was drunk.

"I think Cory Batey's testimony probably did more harm than good," Easter said. "His intoxication defense came a little bit late and was pretty lackluster when he got on the stand. He had clearly been coached (and that) ... provided a buffer that made it more difficult to see his true intentions." Easter said he believed Batey was sorry for his actions..."

Steef

If not for video evidence, this crime would never have been reported, charged, investigated or convicted.

Even the victim wouldn't have remembered it.

Certainly, no witnesses came forward to report it.

And there are HOW MANY college campuses where this could be happening....again...without cameras...this weekend?

My grand daughter is ten. In eight more years, she's expected to go off to college.

I think I'll just chain her to the kitchen table, instead. Let her take online courses for cosmetology or something.

hoglady

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 28, 2015, 10:43:06 am
We really did dodge a bullet in not getting Vandenberg. He is a first rate monster. I never trust the Dutch.

To me he was the instigator. Wouldn't be surprised if he is psychopath with similar instances in his past. This girl was his girlfriend and it sounds like he probably drugged her, then brought her to the dorm and encouraged the others to rape her. Then went to her the next day, telling her how drunk she was and how he had to take care of her - then had sex with her. Sicko.
At least Batey appears to have some remorse, the Sicko appears to have none.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

Vandy beat writer:
Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  2 hours ago

In my 14-year career, don't think I've ever been so eager to cover a baseball game or basketball practice or football walk-thru, etc :)

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hoglady on January 29, 2015, 10:02:29 am
To me he was the instigator. Wouldn't be surprised if he is psychopath with similar instances in his past. This girl was his girlfriend and it sounds like he probably drugged her, then brought her to the dorm and encouraged the others to rape her. Then went to her the next day, telling her how drunk she was and how he had to take care of her - then had sex with her. Sicko.
At least Batey appears to have some remorse, the Sicko appears to have none.

Him insisting intercourse the following day was a premeditated act on his part in an attempt to bolster his own defense.

I thought I read something indicating that he more or less "coached" his teammates during the assault. There was definetly stuff that made me suspect that this was not his first victim.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  4 hours ago
Former Vanderbilt player convicted of rape thought he would 'beat' charges, acc to report | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/Iao40

QuoteFormer Vanderbilt football player Cory Batey, convicted this week on seven counts of rape, sexual assault and attempted rape, was confident before the verdict that he would "beat" the charges, his mentor told the Tennessean.

"His demeanor was actually great. He really felt like he had a strong case to beat it," said Byron De'Vinner, a mentor of Batey's since high school who had lunch with him in the courthouse cafeteria hours before the verdict was announced. "I was worried from some of the things that I was hearing and had seen. I was worried, but I didn't want to create a feeling of doubt in him. He was very confident. He felt he was going to beat it."

Instead, Batey and former teammate Brandon Vandenburg were found guilty on all counts against them and could face decades in prison. The sentencing is set for March 6, and the verdicts are likely to be appealed, according to the report.

SEC football fans may recall De'Vinner as the Nashville high school coach who in 2012 accused a former Mississippi State assistant of having knowledge of payments being made from a booster to Will Redmond during Redmond's recruitment.

hoglady

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 29, 2015, 03:50:20 pm
Him insisting intercourse the following day was a premeditated act on his part in an attempt to bolster his own defense.

I thought I read something indicating that he more or less "coached" his teammates during the assault. There was definetly stuff that made me suspect that this was not his first victim.

What I read said he threw her on the floor, she was passed out (she doesn't remember anything after a blue drink he brought her), he tried to have sex with her but couldn't ([CENSORED] problems), then encouraged the others as things spiraled down, from hands, sodomy with water bottles and rape. Then he and one of the others hit her in face while she was passed out. Batey also urinated on her.
Looks like it was somewhat planned out by him - that was his girlfriend (can't imagine how he's treated others in his life.)
Just a real sicko.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

vandybuff

Let us both (a) """pray daily""" for the victim and (b) hope all complicit with this tragedy are tried for their crimes .... and the victim does avail herself of all civil remedies. 

As a fan of the Vanderbilt community, I am profoundly embarrassed and sorry.

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Steef

Quote from: vandybuff on January 29, 2015, 05:52:56 pm
Let us both (a) """pray daily""" for the victim and (b) hope all complicit with this tragedy are tried for their crimes .... and the victim does avail herself of all civil remedies. 

As a fan of the Vanderbilt community, I am profoundly embarrassed and sorry.

When I think of this case, this...

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 19, 2013, 09:41:09 pm
Franklin won't be in Nashville another season, and he won't be sad to leave that mess behind for Vandy to clean up.

....is what I think of Vandy.

Vandy the school...didn't chose these young criminals. James Franklin did.

How ironic that he went to Penn State?

I would be embarrassed too, if it was Arkansas. But really, the entire college atmosphere of binge drinking and athlete privilege.....it could be Any Campus, USA.

Let's just be glad it was professionally brought to justice.