Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GO

If it is already Scanlon then why did they announce the search committee members was finalized and they will begin the process of finding our AD. If it is a done deal no need to waste everyone's time just announce it and no committee needed. Last time a committee got involved we got stick with HDN....btw I have no problem at all with  KS as the new AD probably do a fine job. Gus, well let's just say I don't think he's more than a minor step up to 6/7 yearly wins here. Occasionally a bit better.  Pulling like hell for the plainsman to kick bama

RockyMtnHog

If you think that this board has been crazy this week.  Watch the Aubbie Board on Saturday night.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Hawg Life

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 22, 2017, 06:11:59 pm
If you think that this board has been crazy this week.  Watch the Aubbie Board on Saturday night.

They'll be mad Gus is staying @ Auburn.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 06:21:07 pm
They'll be mad Gus is staying @ Auburn.
So Kristi is moving to Springdale without him, or has Gus put his foot down, which is it?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 22, 2017, 05:27:32 pm
Way to trash up a great thread with this same old BS we have to read on here all of the time guys.

Tell that to Mr. Porkleone and his "how depressing" that someone would like to stay in Little Rock.  Some of us are particularly sick of that crap.  This isn't the NWA board.  This is the "ARKANSAS Razorback" board.  It's time to stop this NWA vs. the rest of the State crap.

Hogs-n-Roses

This man knows his stuff.

What peoples would like is for us to have a press conference and walk our new AD out and introduce him and he turn to his right and introduce his HC. May not be possible so then our AD may come first.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: GO on November 22, 2017, 06:00:27 pm
If it is already Scanlon then why did they announce the search committee members was finalized and they will begin the process of finding our AD. If it is a done deal no need to waste everyone's time just announce it and no committee needed. Last time a committee got involved we got stick with HDN....btw I have no problem at all with  KS as the new AD probably do a fine job. Gus, well let's just say I don't think he's more than a minor step up to 6/7 yearly wins here. Occasionally a bit better.  Pulling like hell for the plainsman to kick bama

Read the release.  It's an advisory committee, not a search committee.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 22, 2017, 11:32:56 am
Drop Gus from the list.  I don't want him and I'm sure I am not alone in that sentiment.  Sick and tired of seeing his name.  People act like he would be the second coming of Frank Broyles or some such nonsense.  I wan't that big on Frank either after some of the things he did.  We need a new fresh face.

I hope the Gus Bus throws a rod and has 4 flat tires.

Agree that Gus will not be a good choioce....don'think it will end well.

colbs

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 05:04:27 pm
If he loses to Alabama, even certain Auburn insiders believe he'll be the next Hog coach. If he wins, that does not mean he won't be the next Hog head coach but the odds become much much greater he doesn't. The biggest question from the Auburn side is, how much to they play with Jimmy Sexton in this effort to get Gus about $2 million more a year and 5 more years of security? Do they say, "Jimmy, thanks, but we're going to spend that money on somebody else"? If Gus beat Alabama and beat Georgia a second time, he's in the CFP and it's hard to imagine the Arkansas powers-that-be waiting it out then, but somebody in that Arkansas PTB circle has decided they want to go all in on getting him.
This is my worry.  I'll be pissed if they hold out on Gus and miss on others.  Surely they won't wait on him if Auburn makes the CFB playoff.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 02:51:22 pm
Is there any source or coverage out there from Arizona State that he's a high-level recruiter? If there is, I haven't found it.

Many view Norvell as a Gus with better recruiting and networking skills.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Mike-Norvell-750/AllTimeRecruits

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

TX HOG

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on November 22, 2017, 07:13:05 pm

Most view Norvell as a Gus with better recruiting and networking skills.

I think if he were to get an 'interview' He would impress

Boarcephus

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on November 22, 2017, 07:13:05 pm

Many view Norvell as a Gus with better recruiting and networking skills.

I agree plus he's about 15 years younger.  I've said from day one, the ONLY problem I have with Gus is he hasn't done that well the past 3 years with the talent he has access to. From what I've read, Gus is not a dynamic recruiter, doesn't really enjoy it but evidently he puts together a staff who are good recruiters. 

I'd rather go with Norvell. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

31to6

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am
Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

That's all I've got for now. 

Porkatarian out...
Happy with all the names in the post.

Thx.

PigTimePlayer

Great thread....Thanks for posting, Porkatarian. For one of very few times in my life, I will be saying Roll Tide on Saturday.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

DeltaBoy

Thanks Pork It going to Great Thanksgiving!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg Life

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on November 22, 2017, 07:49:50 pm
Great thread....Thanks for posting, Porkatarian. For one of very few times in my life, I will be saying Roll Tide on Saturday.

WAR F"N EAGLE!!!! No Gus.

haystack

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:00:00 pm
WAR F"N EAGLE!!!! No Gus.
Can't believe I'll actually be rooting for Auburn... I'm with you! Keep the Gus Bus down there!

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:00:00 pmWAR F"N EAGLE!!!! No Gus.
Are you saying you will no longer be a fan if it''s Gus?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 06:26:59 pm
Tell that to Mr. Porkleone and his "how depressing" that someone would like to stay in Little Rock.  Some of us are particularly sick of that crap.  This isn't the NWA board.  This is the "ARKANSAS Razorback" board.  It's time to stop this NWA vs. the rest of the State crap.

I can't blame someone for taking exception to some of the comments like that. Like Dari said last night, generalization often leads to bad things. As I said, there are very nice parts of LR and I could deal with living in either place. Neither is for everyone.

My ex-wife wanted to relocate to Rogers, but I resisted because of a domineering in-law type situation.

The most controversial situation the next AD will have at the start is dealing with trying to keep both sides in this thing placated. (Unless this coaching hire is completely botched).

I don't say 'happy' because we all know not everyone is going to be happy no matter what is done. With that said, the new AD will have to be a good salesperson to sell whatever is decided.

That is why this position is a tough one. Given a choice between AD here and elsewhere, if this is not their "dream job," many would go somewhere they didn't have to deal with such a sticky situation on top of the NCAA and everything else.

That probably eliminates a lot of candidates, even some in staters.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hawg Life

Quote from: grayhawg on November 22, 2017, 08:04:10 pm

He's not coming, so it's a no factor.

ur

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:05:38 pm
He’s not coming, so it’s a no factor.
Even if bama wins? You think aub will match what we offer a coach that can't beat bammer?

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:05:38 pm
He's not coming, so it's a no factor.
I'll ask again how do you know for sure?

Dr. Starcs

My biggest worry with Norvell is would he bring any semblance of a competitive defense? I'm tired of seeing terrible defense.

Darren DeLoach

I do find it a bit interesting that Arkansas folks in charge would take the state of Alabama's seconds in Gus and TT. They aren't good enough or up to the pressure for the same jobs in Auburn but a dream duo here. Maybe, if we want to pull from an organization in Alabama it should be the flagship. Not the dirty little cousin.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hollywood_HOGan45

swineology

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am
Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

That's all I've got for now. 

Fake news

They wouldn't brought a committee together if it was Scanlon

Porkatarian out...

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 22, 2017, 08:15:26 pm
My biggest worry with Norvell is would he bring any semblance of a competitive defense? I'm tired of seeing terrible defense.

Aren't you at least tired of seeing terrible offense, defense, AND special teams? Playing good complimentary football left our stadium years ago...

We certainly need a competitive defense, but we need major improvements in the other 2 areas as well if we want to see a jump in the Win column...a dynamic offense and sound special teams would be a major step up from where we are now

lumphog

I want to see HOW BAD he wants to come HOME... I want AU to beat Bama & Georgia again...
And SEE... IF he comes to Arkansas....THAT'S the only way I'll support him (I want Norvell or Leach)

Hawg Life

moses_007

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 02:36:00 pm
Yes, the job has been offered to Gus
Yes and he is taking our offer.  Namely because of

1.  He's tired of being threatened to be fired if he doesn't beat LSU and Alabama.

2.  Arkansas is his dream job.

3.  He wants to come home.

4.  His wife really wants to come home.

5.  His wife has a sick mother in Ft. Smith she wants to be closer to.

Enough reasons?  Money won't be an issue here.  He'll make millions here, so why does it matter?

Get on the Gus Bus, or be left behind.  We aint hiring no unproven coach from Memphis, regardless of his record.  I'd rather give the job to Dan Enos instead of doing that....

tusksincolorado

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 04:15:33 pm
Just to asshats that don’t live here.  Some of us don’t want to move to NWA.  Shocking...I know.  Despite what the racist hillbillies think, a huge portion of Little Rock and North Little Rock is an incredibly nice place to live.

Where?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

porkurina

Gus may not be my first choice but it will drive Butt crazy.  Enough for me for now.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 09:24:01 pm

1.  He's tired of being threatened to be fired if he doesn't beat LSU and Alabama.

Enough reasons?  Money won't be an issue here.  He'll make millions here, so why does it matter?

Get on the Gus Bus, or be left behind.  We aint hiring no unproven coach from Memphis, regardless of his record.  I'd rather give the job to Dan Enos instead of doing that....

Central Michigan won't even hire him back.
This is my non-signature signature.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 22, 2017, 01:15:34 pm
Top 15 this year.
This year yes.  Not over his head coaching tenure though.  We had a good defense in 2014 also and that was an aberration, just like Leach this year. 

hoofer

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 09:24:01 pm

What happens if Gus wins Saturday, wins SECC and makes playoffs?

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 09:09:38 pm
I have a hunch.
Okay that's better, why didn't you say that to begin with.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 22, 2017, 09:29:48 pm
This year yes.  Not over his head coaching tenure though.  We had a good defense in 2014 also and that was an aberration, just like Leach this year.

Coaches can get better, they can also get worse.

They rarely ever stay the same over an extended period of time.

You're being obtuse.
This is my non-signature signature.

HoggieStyle

Malzahn is as divisive as Nutt.

Just say no.

ChicoHog

This is tough decision time for me.  I am an avid Auburn hater so I want them to lose to Bama Saturday.  But since I don't want Malzahn as coach I am probably better off having Auburn win to keep their chances of going to the playoff alive and Malzahn keep coaching there. 

I think I'd rather have Malzahn as our coach than seeing Auburn win.  Roll Tide!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: grayhawg on November 22, 2017, 09:31:22 pm
Okay that's better, why didn't you say that to begin with.

Honestly, there are about 3 different stories circulating right now, and 2 don't involve Gus. I'm not sure The Iron Bowl is going to answer all questions. If you believe the $6.5 M offer that has been said that's seems very high for someone fleeing expectations and pressure. Odds are strong that we are being played by Sexton. It kind of depends on who you listen to and I don't listen to the media because they tell you what they want you to know. There was a time I knew a lot of what was going on and Jeff along ended that, so know you really don't know what to believe. There are only 3-4 that candidates that'll be given a serious look. I think if Gus was the candidate what's to stop him from throwing the game Saturday? Gus was insecure so he started looking around, but now he's secure again. He'll get more money and a bigger buyout @ Auburn if he stays. Now, if he leaves look for NCAA investigations and sanctions @ Auburn. The most Gus thing to do would be jump ship before the hammer drops:

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: grayhawg on November 22, 2017, 08:04:10 pm

That IS what I'm saying. I will actively oppose the Hogs if Gus is coach until he leaves. Despise him.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

zerose

Hey pork, you steal my magic crystal 8-ball?
Peering inside the magic crystal 8-ball in the dark confines of a spider hole.

HogFanOSU

Why on earth does everyone think the U of A is betting the future of the football program on the results of a single Alabama-Auburn game over which they have absolutely no control? That is ridiculous.  If it is the case, then there are much, much bigger problems than the football program.  Gus has not been offered the job because at this point there is no job to offer.  Arkansas has not even talked to him.  They would need permission from Auburn to do so, under NCAA rules, and Auburn would never let that happen right now.  Perhaps some informal discussions have taken place between non U of A people and his agent.  My guess all this talk of Gus wanting to come to Arkansas is nothing more than a play by Jimmy Sexton to get him a long contract extension with a big raise at Auburn.  Wouldn't be the first time he's done something like that.  Remember Houston Nutt going to LSU.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HogFanOSU on November 22, 2017, 10:01:40 pm
Why on earth does everyone think the U of A is betting the future of the football program on the results of a single Alabama-Auburn game over which they have absolutely no control? That is ridiculous.  If it is the case, then there are much, much bigger problems than the football program.  Gus has not been offered the job because at this point there is no job to offer.  Arkansas has not even talked to him.  They would need permission from Auburn to do so, under NCAA rules, and Auburn would never let that happen right now.  Perhaps some informal discussions have taken place between non U of A people and his agent.  My guess all this talk of Gus wanting to come to Arkansas is nothing more than a play by Jimmy Sexton to get him a long contract extension with a big raise at Auburn.  Wouldn't be the first time he's done something like that.  Remember Houston Nutt going to LSU.

You're 100% right. Sexton has many media contacts, and a low moral compass. He's also the agent of our top 2 targets, so he controls negotiation power by raising the value of one to get him a raise and extension while raising the value of B by getting the $$$$$$ thinking up as to what they'll spend for B. It's old school genius and it's always worked.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 22, 2017, 09:46:34 pm
This is tough decision time for me.  I am an avid Auburn hater so I want them to lose to Bama Saturday.  But since I don't want Malzahn as coach I am probably better off having Auburn win to keep their chances of going to the playoff alive and Malzahn keep coaching there. 

I think I'd rather have Malzahn as our coach than seeing Auburn win.  Roll Tide!!
Crazy times. Think about it. People are cheering for a coach to go to the college football playoff so he's not our coach.

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Styflin

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 09:55:01 pm
That IS what I'm saying. I will actively oppose the Hogs if Gus is coach until he leaves. Despise him.

See ya

TazorTusk

Was pretty neutral on the Gus movement until a couple of days ago.  However, in the last 48 hours my gut has spoken clearly and I much prefer hiring Norvell to Malzahn.  Guess as much as I think Gus was mistreated when an assistant at the U of A, for me he has been on the opposing sideline too long now.

1. Norvell - (Hope the negotiations include the fact that he has a proven DC ready to sign on with him.  Like the idea of his AD coming with him -- but admit that my preference has been highly prejudiced by all of the posts here on HV about him.  He is by far my favorite for whatever reason.)
2. Campbell - (Somebody with much deeper pockets than I would have to be convinced that he is worth all of the cash.)
3. Frost - (No one seems to think he would rate us over Nebraska or Florida, but...???)
4. Mullen - (Seems to me he has done a very good job of recruiting and coaching at a place where winning is not the norm. Am not sure how his low key personality would mesh with some of our fans.)
5. Gus - (His honeymoon here could be a really short one given the past.  Do any of you remember his player who fell to the ground as if shot by a sniper?  I know, we attempted the same thing with Sosa this year, but do you really think that elevator getting stuck was an accident?  I'd like to win without that sort of rinky-dink stuff.  And, a man with close ties to Auburn's program tells me that Gus doesn't do much of the recruiting.  Same source told me before the 2016 season last year that Auburn's defense was the fastest he had ever seen, and I think this has been shown to be fairly true.  Think they take Bama this weekend perhaps ending our quest for him anyway.)
6. Kiffin - (A sleeper and a winning choice only if he has grown up after Saban's chastisement.  He may need a couple of more years of seasoning.)
7. Leach - (Read his book, but I think his antics would get old really fast and think he has a ceiling at about 70% of what I'd wish for the Hogs).  Definitely prefer Malzahn over Leach.

Now, having paused to reflect this Thanksgiving season and realizing the paucity of information that I have to make the final call, you know what I am thankful for?  That this decision is not mine!!! 

Nonetheless, at this point we all can enjoy coming up with our own lists of favorites and eagerly waiting to see what unfolds.  It's good that we have something to keep our interests at the end of a most disappointing season.

Have a great Turkey Day.

Tazor

Styflin

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 10:12:06 pm
Crazy times. Think about it. People are cheering for a coach to go to the college football playoff so he's not our coach.

I just shake my head head. It's amazing