Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disney World

Started by Boll Hawg, November 03, 2015, 02:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boll Hawg

I'm 34 and taking my family on their first trip to Disney World sometime this summer (June or July).  I've already bought 2 tickets, and will buy 2 more when I get my taxes back.  I've got 2 boys, ages 10 and 7.  I'm in the Nat'l Guard so I'm getting military discounts on everything.  We'll be staying at the Shades of Green military resort, which is supposedly on the resort.  Any advice?

P.S.  I'm not 100% excited about this trip.  Besides it being super expensive, I'm not thrilled to go stand in long lines in the summer heat.  Large crowds also bother me...
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

bulldog04

Quote from: Boll Hawg on November 03, 2015, 02:05:43 pm
I'm 34 and taking my family on their first trip to Disney World sometime this summer (June or July).  I've already bought 2 tickets, and will buy 2 more when I get my taxes back.  I've got 2 boys, ages 10 and 7.  I'm in the Nat'l Guard so I'm getting military discounts on everything.  We'll be staying at the Shades of Green military resort, which is supposedly on the resort.  Any advice?

P.S.  I'm not 100% excited about this trip.  Besides it being super expensive, I'm not thrilled to go stand in long lines in the summer heat.  Large crowds also bother me...
Magic Kingdom has beer.
Also purchase the park hopper option.  And bring 3 sets of clothes for each day because you will sweat and get nasty quick.

kodiakisland

November 04, 2015, 12:13:53 am #2 Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:33:12 am by kodiakisland
How can you not be super excited about taking the fam to Disney?  Cheer up, you're going to have a great time.  Shades of Green is really nice and very close to everything.  There are buses there that will take you to  whichever park you want to go to.  Super easy.  A very nice swimming pool.  The food there is OK but not great.  It's a lot cheaper than the other hotels and you get the park hopper tickets at a huge discount.  The sports bar has limited but decent menu.

Summer is not the best time to go, but it is what you make of it.  Use the fast passes as best you can.  When we have gone in the summer, we would go when the park opened for several hours, come back to the hotel to nap and swim, then head back til it closed.  We would usually do one long day, then one short easy day.  It's also pretty easy to go to one of the other parks early, come back and take a nap, then go to magic Kingdom at night.

It's tough when the kids are little as you have to keep it fun without wearing them out.  What we've always told people is Disney is not a relaxing vacation.  It is a lot of fun, but it is very tiring.  Make sure you build in some down time for the kids.

Not much for the kids at Epcot but there's lots of drinking for you.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

oldman1015

have the wife wear a fanny pack with a couple of empty water bottles. fill them at the many water coolers when thirsty. not paying $5 per bottle will save you a lot of money.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

chshog

Get online and Register on "My Disney Experience" Read the section on "Fast Passes" when you have all your tickets and a reservation at Shades of Green you will be able to register for 3 rides apiece for each day on the tickets 60 days in advance because you will be staying on property. This helps with the lines as you can by pass them with these Fast Passes. Disney is usually in the low to mid 90's that time of the year

LSUFan

Disney sucks, and sucks hard in the summer. The temp coming off the concrete is between 130-140 with >90% humidity.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: oldman1015 on November 04, 2015, 02:58:27 pm
have the wife wear a fanny pack with a couple of empty water bottles. fill them at the many water coolers when thirsty. not paying $5 per bottle will save you a lot of money.

Noted, and by the way I see your pic.  My wife is a McGehee alum. 

Hankweb

Go into the trip knowing and accepting that people will be in your space, there will be lines, and cost will be high. Then move on from that and enjoy the trip when it's not quite as bad as you had built it up to be. As an adult be amazed at the detail, and safety and cleanliness and logistics of the place and have a blast with your kids!
Great advice here about going early as parks open, a midday break, and back to Magic Kingdom in the evening/night. Also...as several have talked about, Fast Pass is the key. Scheduling those out where you throw in the prime attractions (with the 2 hour+ waits) through the day interspersed with the rides shows etc that you can enter relatively quickly will make it even more fun. Nice to get on a ride in 12-15 minutes when there's a 2 1/2 hour wait in the normal line.

Faedian7

Quote from: Hankweb on November 05, 2015, 09:49:39 am
Go into the trip knowing and accepting that people will be in your space, there will be lines, and cost will be high. Then move on from that and enjoy the trip when it's not quite as bad as you had built it up to be. As an adult be amazed at the detail, and safety and cleanliness and logistics of the place and have a blast with your kids!
Great advice here about going early as parks open, a midday break, and back to Magic Kingdom in the evening/night. Also...as several have talked about, Fast Pass is the key. Scheduling those out where you throw in the prime attractions (with the 2 hour+ waits) through the day interspersed with the rides shows etc that you can enter relatively quickly will make it even more fun. Nice to get on a ride in 12-15 minutes when there's a 2 1/2 hour wait in the normal line.

^ Great advice here. When I went to Disney with the family, we were able to schedule the popular rides then do the quick rides in between fast pass times. The longest wait times we had were getting pictures with the characters. If you are looking to eat at a nice restaurant in the park you can also make reservations in advance because you likely won't get in the day you visit if you don't. Restaurant suggestions: Beast's Castle at Magic Kingdom and Le Cellier (steakhouse) at Epcot. I would suggest taking some poncho's for the rain.

Magic hours: for people that are staying at a Disney Resort, they have additional hours they are opened to guests on certain days of the week. We had the best time at Magic Kingdom during magic hours! There was literally no wait for many of the rides we went on during this time.

There is a lot of planning involved with getting the most out of Disney and getting through the crowds but with that said my family had an amazing time.

Hogs run wild

fast pass is great. also, we did the meal plan. saved us a ton in food/snakes/drinks. have fun!
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Faedian7 on November 05, 2015, 04:33:04 pm
^ Great advice here. When I went to Disney with the family, we were able to schedule the popular rides then do the quick rides in between fast pass times. The longest wait times we had were getting pictures with the characters. If you are looking to eat at a nice restaurant in the park you can also make reservations in advance because you likely won't get in the day you visit if you don't. Restaurant suggestions: Beast's Castle at Magic Kingdom and Le Cellier (steakhouse) at Epcot. I would suggest taking some poncho's for the rain.

Magic hours: for people that are staying at a Disney Resort, they have additional hours they are opened to guests on certain days of the week. We had the best time at Magic Kingdom during magic hours! There was literally no wait for many of the rides we went on during this time.

There is a lot of planning involved with getting the most out of Disney and getting through the crowds but with that said my family had an amazing time.

I'll second the food at the Beast's castle.  Probably the best food I've had in the park.  Not that the food in the park is great stuff, but the meal at the castle was very good.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

McKdaddy

Quote from: LSUFan on November 04, 2015, 10:49:00 pm
Disney sucks, and sucks hard in the summer. The temp coming off the concrete is between 130-140 with >90% humidity.

Whew, no doubt. We make our annual pilgrimage w/ the kiddos during the week of Thanksgiving (the kids are out of school Wed-Fri, so we are only causing them to miss the Mon & Ties of T'giving).
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

LSUFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 06, 2015, 03:20:47 pm
Whew, no doubt. We make our annual pilgrimage w/ the kiddos during the week of Thanksgiving (the kids are out of school Wed-Fri, so we are only causing them to miss the Mon & Ties of T'giving).
Best time of the year!

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: bulldog04 on November 03, 2015, 04:08:42 pm
Magic Kingdom has beer.
Also purchase the park hopper option.  And bring 3 sets of clothes for each day because you will sweat and get nasty quick.

I think they all have beer except Magic Kingdom actually.  The only place you can get alcohol at Magic Kingdom is at Beast's Castle.

LSUFan

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on November 08, 2015, 08:08:46 pm
I think they all have beer except Magic Kingdom actually.  The only place you can get alcohol at Magic Kingdom is at Beast's Castle.
yup

cosmodrum

I went in January and it was comfortable. I bet June or July is MURDER.
Go away, batin'

kodiakisland

I've been in June and the weather wasn't that bad.  It was cloudy and raining most of the week, which also cut down on the crowd.  We prefer to go at the end of Sept, first of Oct time frame.

We will be doing Universal the last week of Feb.  Should be good for weather and crowds.  Staying at Shades of Green and taking the shuttle over each day.  Combined with flying Allegiant it makes for a very affordable trip.

YankHog

another Disney freak here, great advice on the fast pass, get those as soon as they are available to schedule, schedule the fast passes for the popular rides, don't worry about the times they give you, once you get the rides you want you can go back in and modify the times (on occasion you won't be able to but I haven't had that issue), reschedule your first FP for the earliest time possible, schedule your second fast pass to when your first FP expires (they won't let you overlap times) and so on, I also hit the park early, take afternoon pool break and back at it in the evening(schedule your days based on which park opens early or stays open late, calendar is generally out a year out), as far as resorts, Shades of Green is nice however you are stuck riding the bus everywhere, a great alternative for military is the Swan or the Dolphin, you can generally get rooms for $159-199, they have water taxis to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and it's also a short work to Epcot if you'd rather walk, you can also water taxi to epcot and take the monorail to the MK but it's generally shorter to just take the bus to MK.....you MUST try the truffle Filet Mignon in the Canadian restaurant, expensive but well worth it....and of course the Biergarten in Germany...

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 08, 2015, 09:10:22 pm
I've been in June and the weather wasn't that bad.  It was cloudy and raining most of the week, which also cut down on the crowd.  We prefer to go at the end of Sept, first of Oct time frame.

We will be doing Universal the last week of Feb.  Should be good for weather and crowds.  Staying at Shades of Green and taking the shuttle over each day.  Combined with flying Allegiant it makes for a very affordable trip.
NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do not fly Allegant, worst airline EVER!!

$50 checked baggage, $5 for a boarding pass.

They charge your ass for eveything.

"Well sir, you paid for a seat "on" this plane, NOT "in" this plane." - Exaggeration, I know, but it is almost this bad.

kkbrody

Buy some ponchos before you go and keep them with you. If you have a camelbak or similar take it. You will get caught in rain, and if you fill up the camelbak with ice then water in the morning, it should last most of the day. Other than those, lots of good advice in this thread.

hogfan1003

http://allears.net/

check this site out, it has some very helpful information!

kodiakisland

Quote from: LSUFan on November 09, 2015, 09:25:01 pm
NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do not fly Allegant, worst airline EVER!!

$50 checked baggage, $5 for a boarding pass.

They charge your ass for eveything.

"Well sir, you paid for a seat "on" this plane, NOT "in" this plane." - Exaggeration, I know, but it is almost this bad.

To each his own.  When I save hundreds flying allegiant, versus American/United, I'm happy.  I honestly can't remember the last time I paid for checked bags on any airline though.  One of the perks of a military ID!

RazorbackRon

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 06, 2015, 03:20:47 pm

We are going the week after Thanksgiving.  1st time back since 1999.  Going with the wife and our 4 grown kids (2 married kids).  Planning on doing 4 days at Disney and then 2 days at Universal.  Looking forward to an all adult trip complete with adult beverages and no whiny kids.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 11, 2015, 03:53:06 pm
To each his own.  When I save hundreds flying allegiant, versus American/United, I'm happy.  I honestly can't remember the last time I paid for checked bags on any airline though.  One of the perks of a military ID!

We have tickets for Allegiant from LR to Orlando in Dec.  Even with all of the extra fees it was 25-35% cheaper than any other airline and for us, it's a direct flight.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

McKdaddy

Quote from: RazorbackRon on November 15, 2015, 07:47:44 pm
We are going the week after Thanksgiving.  1st time back since 1999.  Going with the wife and our 4 grown kids (2 married kids).  Planning on doing 4 days at Disney and then 2 days at Universal.  Looking forward to an all adult trip complete with adult beverages and no whiny kids.

+1

ThisTeetsTaken

Best advice I can give you is to SKIP Dizzyland.  Take the family out west this summer and see the country. Take them to Yellowstone.  We took a trip in 2010 to Yellowstone and we swung by Mt Rushmore on the way back and it beat Dizzyland, the beach, etc. hands down.  Best vacation ever.  (this is even considering our trip to Dizzyland was fully paid for including spending money by my company)
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Uncle_dad

Take a beach day and go to Clearwater and the pier at night. Coco Beach is closer, but the gulf>Atlantic.

The meal options are convenient, but my family would eat much less and save money if we didn't use them. The first week of June is not nearly as crowded as other weeks.

Animal Kingdom is the hottest place on Earth. The layout doesn't encourage air movement. However, the safari ride is well worth it.

Avoid Hollywood Studios on the summer weekends. They have Star Wars weekends during the summer and it is nerd central. Do go during the week and do Star Tours and the Back lot tour. Be sure to catch the boat from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. It is relaxing, and it drops you off near the Epcot UK pavilion and not the main gate.

arkhogball

Quote from: Uncle_dad on December 17, 2015, 09:26:35 am
Take a beach day and go to Clearwater and the pier at night. Coco Beach is closer, but the gulf>Atlantic.

The meal options are convenient, but my family would eat much less and save money if we didn't use them. The first week of June is not nearly as crowded as other weeks.

Animal Kingdom is the hottest place on Earth. The layout doesn't encourage air movement. However, the safari ride is well worth it.

Avoid Hollywood Studios on the summer weekends. They have Star Wars weekends during the summer and it is nerd central. Do go during the week and do Star Tours and the Back lot tour. Be sure to catch the boat from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. It is relaxing, and it drops you off near the Epcot UK pavilion and not the main gate.

I live near Clearwater at Indian Rocks Beach.  We go to one of the Disney parks about every two weeks (very affordable for Florida resident annual passes).  Good advice from Uncle_Dad, but unfortunately Back Lot Tour is now permanently closed.  Thy are working on a larger Star Wars themed attraction. 

We take a small stroller (even though the kids are old enough to walk).  The stroller will carry our bag ice chest.  The cooler has to be soft material and less than 18 inches wide by 18 inches tall (check Disney web site for exact dimensions).  We fill the chest with water and snacks that we want to have throughout the day.  We never eat inside because of the price of the food, but the bottom of our stroller has enough room to carry chips, ponchos, and extra stuff that we want.  It's a lot easier pushing a stroller around than humping a lot of stuff.  You can park the stroller without worrying about anyone messing with it. 

Keep in mind that the parks with the extended hours are usually the busiest, but if you have fastpass you will be okay.   Book FP as early as you can, because sometimes they run out with the most popular rides.   It will only allow you to get 3 FPs for the day, but once you have used them you can go to a FP kiosk and reserve another.

When you are at Epcot, check out Some of all Thrills.  It is a roller coaster simulator that lets you design your roller coaster and then get in a simulator to ride it.  Your kids will love it.  It's an attraction that is not advertised as much as the others.

arkhogball

Also, the best advice is probably to take a few power juicers for charging your phone.  Not many places to charge your devices and usually so many people jockeying for those places.  There is an area inside the gift shop at Space Mountain, but if you take small chargers you can stick them in you pocket as you charge it.  I think we got some from Walmart for about $12/each.

RazorbackRon

we just got back from an 'adult' trip from Disneyland and Universal Studios.  We went the week after Thanksgiving and had a great time.  The weather was warmer than normal for this time of year but we thought it was great.   The temps most days were in the upper 70's to low 80's with 50's and 60's at night.   We wore shorts and t-shirts everyday we were in Orlando that week.

The crowds were great with 20 minute waits being the longest we ever encountered.  With Fast Passes and the lower crowds, most of the time we were able to just walk on most rides.

With 6 adults (our 4 married young adults and my wife and I), we were able to hit the parks from open to close.

We saw the Osborne Christmas lights (this is the last year they are at Disneyworld).  Pretty neat to know we saw them there and we saw them on Cantrell back when Jennings 1st started them.   

Disney is expensive but everything we saw and did was high quality.  They defiantly know how to put on shows and make the experience worthwhile.  Next time we go will hopefully be with grand kids.

94 Hawg

great advice in the thread- WDW does require some level of planning, and managing your and your family's expectations.  you didn't say how many park days you will have, but if you skip one this summer, i'd recommend skipping hollywood studios. it's the smallest park to begin with, and is under some major construction for the next 5-7 years, so some of the attractions will be closed. With boys that age, i think there is a lot about Epcot they will enjoy, there is so much more to WDW than rides, and during a crowded day those things can make or break your experience.   check out http://www.disboards.com/ for more info than you can imagine on all things disney. 
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Pulled(PP)pork

not july....it's terribly hot for kids.  I know you could probably handle it.  I also suggest doing at least 1 day in all the parks

PP

Boll Hawg

All tickets are bought and the reservation is made for Shades of Green.  We'll be staying 6 nights in mid June.  I'm actually getting kind of excited for it!

We're driving so I'm mapping out the route we'll take.  Guess we'll head through Lake Village, Greenville, Jackson, Hattiesburg and probably spend the night somewhere around Mobile.  We'll drive to Orlando the next day. Any suggestions on alternate routes, or hotels/restaurants along the way? 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boll Hawg on February 11, 2016, 10:31:03 am
All tickets are bought and the reservation is made for Shades of Green.  We'll be staying 6 nights in mid June.  I'm actually getting kind of excited for it!

We're driving so I'm mapping out the route we'll take.  Guess we'll head through Lake Village, Greenville, Jackson, Hattiesburg and probably spend the night somewhere around Mobile.  We'll drive to Orlando the next day. Any suggestions on alternate routes, or hotels/restaurants along the way?
not sure about that route, be prepared for toll booths

PP

DeltaBoy

Per the Badger and Blade forum leave your pocket knives at the hotel.  They gone total nanny state at Disney World.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 19, 2016, 01:01:04 pm
Per the Badger and Blade forum leave your pocket knives at the hotel.  They gone total nanny state at Disney World.
why would you need a pocket knife at DW?

PP

ricepig

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 19, 2016, 01:42:52 pm

PP

Haven't you seen that fierce mouse there?

Pulled(PP)pork

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 19, 2016, 01:42:52 pm

PP

I use the scissors on my SAK to cut tags off all the things my family buys at 6 flags ect. Last time we were at see world I had to cut a strap off for a lady whose stroller and gotten locked up by one of the hanging straps they always seem to have.  I find a need for my SAK nearly every day much less as some amusement park.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 28, 2015, 01:45:26 pm
Best advice I can give you is to SKIP Dizzyland.  Take the family out west this summer and see the country. Take them to Yellowstone.  We took a trip in 2010 to Yellowstone and we swung by Mt Rushmore on the way back and it beat Dizzyland, the beach, etc. hands down.  Best vacation ever.  (this is even considering our trip to Dizzyland was fully paid for including spending money by my company)
I weep for all my friends that have spent a king's ransom going to Disney over and over and have never been west of Denver.  Yellowstone and Glacier National Park are treasures.  Driving the Beartooth Highway is one of the greatest things you will ever experience.

DLUXHOG

You will like love Disneywhirl.....   You really will.  The memories will last a lifetime....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Boll Hawg

The countdown is on!  We're headed there next month! 

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boll Hawg on May 02, 2016, 03:54:31 pm
The countdown is on!  We're headed there next month! 

+1, good times.

RyeHogFan

I really enjoyed going to Disney World last year.  My son has autism and so they really went out of their way to accommodate his needs and made his first trip there special.  He still likes to watch the videos of our trip.  As far as lodging goes, we always stay at a condo in Kissimmee.  It's nice to have your own room and to be able to lay out on the couch and catch a few winks in the middle of the day.  This does require renting a vehicle if you fly down but I like the freedom of being able to come and go as I please and being able to go out and eat.  Also, the best time to go really is from early November up until they begin their Christmas celebrations.  The crowds are relatively low and you will spend much less time in the lines.  I literally rode Rock 'N Rollercoaster like 4 times in about 25-30 minutes going in the single rider line, even without a Fast Pass.  Fast Pass is awesome though, especially during the peak season.  Just make sure that if there is something you really want to ride, you get to it early and if there is already a wait, go ahead and get your Fast Pass and go enjoy other things while you wait.  I know that a lot of people don't like Disney, but I've got a lot of good memories there and I'm always so impressed by the most minute detail that they put in.  Part of the fun of most of their rides is enjoying some of the pre-ride areas which usually do a good job of setting up the ride.  Finally, if you are more of a roller coaster junkie like I am, spend at least one day at Universal, especially Islands of Adventure.  It's no King's Island, but they have plenty of thrill rides.

LSUFan

RyeHog, you touched on one of the few things I like about Disney, and that is the customer service.

McKdaddy

Kings Island is good for coaster junkies, but second place to Cedar Point IMO.

McKdaddy

Quote from: LSUFan on May 05, 2016, 11:32:57 am
RyeHog, you touched on one of the few things I like about Disney, and that is the customer service.

Agreed, I believe I enjoy Disney more than my kiddos.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 29, 2016, 03:59:48 pm
I weep for all my friends that have spent a king's ransom going to Disney over and over and have never been west of Denver.  Yellowstone and Glacier National Park are treasures.  Driving the Beartooth Highway is one of the greatest things you will ever experience.

Bingo! There is a reason the National Parks have been called "America's best idea"!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

McKdaddy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2016, 06:48:11 am
Bingo! There is a reason the National Parks have been called "America's best idea"!

There are those of us that enjoy both, fwiw.

DeltaBoy