Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Hannahs transferring from Texas Tech

Started by Hawg Red, March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Little Rock boy. Shot 92% from the foul line and 37% from 3. Averaged almost 8 PPG as a sophomore this year.

Just saying. I know he isn't ideal on defense, but he's a shooter. Spike Albrecht anyone?

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on Today at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

The Hogfather

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 03:59:11 pm
Walk-on?

Scholarship-worthy, IMO. Have one on scholarship now that doesn't contribute as much as he would.

The Hogfather

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 04:01:57 pm
He'll have to sit out a year.

I understand.

We have a scholarship guard that doesn't play at all. Just saying...

Razorod

Nolan's teams always seemed to have a player like Dusty on it. A designated shooter type. I also know we really wanted Riley Norris (a sf with a good shooting touch) this past signing period and didn't get him.

I was actually kind of hoping this would happen last year when Tech had the coaching change.

Will be interesting to see what happens here, if anything. But after watching the shooting performance of this team down the stretch, we do have a need here.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 04:00:15 pm
Scholarship-worthy, IMO. Have one on scholarship now that doesn't contribute as much as he would.

Agreed. I would really like to add him and encourage Wagner to look elsewhere.
Quote from: rhames on Today at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Hawg Red

Not trying to be callous by any means, but this is part of the game. We all heard the HOFer Bill Walton last night -- we need more skill. Dusty brings an identifiable skill to the table. We have a guard on scholarship that contributed about as much this year active (37 minutes ALL YEAR) as Dusty would next year sitting out.

These things happen. Get on it, Mike.

The Hogfather

I agree that we could encourage that guard to look elsewhere. However, I'm not sold on the fact that Hannahs is worth using that guard's scholarship .

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 04:11:54 pm
I agree that we could encourage that guard to look elsewhere. However, I'm not sold on the fact that Hannahs is worth using that guard's scholarship .

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm
Little Rock boy. Shot 92% from the foul line and 37% from 3. Averaged almost 8 PPG as a sophomore this year.

Just saying. I know he isn't ideal on defense, but he's a shooter. Spike Albrecht anyone?

Played 20 minutes a night against Big 12 competition and proved he can shoot the ball. He's 6'3-6'4, too.

The_Iceman

kingofdequeen

Anderson's helped rescue our APR, and some of you cannot wait to frick it up again.

HawgAdvocate

Yeah, Wagner hasn't played much over his first two seasons, but he's also had six guards ahead of him during his time here. Now, only two of those guys remain.

Now that he's among just three guards with any experience playing this style, I'd be surprised if, moving forward, the staff didn't value him far more than they previously have simply for his experience with how this team operates and helping the 5+ new guys coming in.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

That would actually be a good pickup.  I would love to see the staff reach out and make this happen.  Especially if a guy transfers.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 25, 2014, 04:17:58 pm
Yeah, Wagner hasn't played much over his first two seasons, but he's also had six guards ahead of him during his time here. Now, only two of those guys remain.

Now that he's among just three guards with any experience playing this style, I'd be surprised if, moving forward, the staff didn't value him far more than they have simply for his experience of how this team operates and helping the 5+ new guys coming in.

You think there is much of player there? He had a good game last year against Cuse, but outside of that he has been underwhelming. I want him to have success, but I'm concerned this level of basketball is too high for him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 25, 2014, 04:17:32 pm
Anderson's helped rescue our APR, and some of you cannot wait to frick it up again.

We're not in any APR danger if a kid in good standing transfers. Settle down. Our scores are pretty good right now, IIRC.

The_Iceman

I would love to add Dusty as a zone buster type guard, but I think he would be best served going to a mid-major school that puts an emphasis on shooting and guards of his skill set. Maybe like a Belmont, Gonzaga, or Butler.

Break & Run

Dusty Hannahs is a great guy.  I've known a lot of his extended family from playing pool (his aunt/uncle owns a pool league in Benton/LR area).  They said they've been in his ear for a year now about "coming home."
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 25, 2014, 04:17:58 pm

Now that he's among just three guards with any experience playing this style, I'd be surprised if, moving forward, the staff didn't value him far more than they previously have simply for his experience with how this team operates and helping the 5+ new guys coming in.

Maybe, but let's be honest here -- there were a couple of times when Mike put Manny Watkins in before Dee Wagner.

kingofdequeen

Running off Dee Wagner would be a bush move.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 25, 2014, 04:24:43 pm

Welcome to major college sports. We've done it before.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 04:19:55 pm
You think there is much of player there? He had a good game last year against Cuse, but outside of that he has been underwhelming. I want him to have success, but I'm concerned this level of basketball is too high for him.

I don't know if we've really haven't seen enough of him to know one way or another. Players certainly can improve from one season to the next, so anything is possible. The staff has had him for two years now, so hopefully they've done enough to get him ready.

He's likely just a role player, but an experienced role player nonetheless.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 04:20:31 pm
I would love to add Dusty as a zone buster type guard, but I think he would be best served going to a mid-major school that puts an emphasis on shooting and guards of his skill set. Maybe like a Belmont, Gonzaga, or Butler.

We need at least 1 guard like that in this system TBH.  I mean Bell was a 2/3 star coming out of high school and we brought him in just to be a shooter.  I see Hannahs as the same type of player as that.  I'm not saying he would come in and be a starter, but I could see him redshirting a year then being in that second wave that comes off the bench maybe 10-15 minutes and knocking down shots.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 04:24:40 pm
Maybe, but let's be honest here -- there were a couple of times when Mike put Manny Watkins in before Dee Wagner.

They pretty much saw equal PT in the same eight games.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/arkansas/dequavious-wagner/game_stats

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/arkansas/manuale-watkins/game_stats

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 25, 2014, 04:24:43 pm

I pretty much agree, especially if it's just for another role player (who doesn't have two years experience in this system).

hogman99

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 25, 2014, 04:12:37 pm
Hmm... intriguing. Can he play defense?

I'm sure he can play it as well as what we have now.   

Hawg Red

Wagner is the obvious play here, but it doesn't have to down that way. There's a frontcourt player that has publicly pouted about PT, and with Miles and Thompson coming in, he could choose to transfer.

But this needs to happen somehow, someway. Makes too much sense.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 04:26:44 pm
We need at least 1 guard like that in this system TBH.  I mean Bell was a 2/3 star coming out of high school and we brought him in just to be a shooter.  I see Hannahs as the same type of player as that.  I'm not saying he would come in and be a starter, but I could see him redshirting a year then being in that second wave that comes off the bench maybe 10-15 minutes and knocking down shots.

I'd love to have Dusty on this team contributing in that way. But in his best interest, I think he could get 30-35 minutes at a mid-major school and really show case his talent in a system that could feature a player with his skills.

-Blu

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 04:30:39 pm
Wagner is the obvious play here, but it doesn't have to down that way. There's a frontcourt player that has publicly pouted about PT, and with Miles and Thompson coming in, he could choose to transfer.

But this needs to happen somehow, someway. Makes too much sense.

I can envision JaCorey making a move, for sure. I've always heard that MA has a soft spot for his smaller PGs. I could very well be wrong, but I'd be surprised to see them take away Wagner's free ride at Arkansas.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 04:31:22 pm
I'd love to have Dusty on this team contributing in that way. But in his best interest, I think he could get 30-35 minutes at a mid-major school and really show case his talent in a system that could feature a player with his skills.

Me personally I'd rather play 10-15 minutes on a major D1 school in my home state in front of an average crowd of 15,000 and play against the some of the best competition on a nightly basis and have regular season games on ESPN, than go to a mid-major and play in front of 1,000 people if I'm lucky, and be happy to get a game on ESPN 3.

That's just me though...

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 25, 2014, 04:33:24 pm
I can envision JaCorey making a move, for sure. I've always heard that MA has a soft spot for his smaller PGs. I could very well be wrong, but I'd be surprised to see them take away Wagner's free ride at Arkansas.

I know it's been said that Wagner enjoys it up there and might not mind not playing, but half of his college career is over. That has to weigh on him. I'm sure he'd have a scholarship at any number of Louisiana D-1 schools where he could actually play. It's only natural.

But maybe he's a different dude.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 04:37:23 pm
I know it's been said that Wagner enjoys it up there and might not mind not playing, but half of his college career is over. That has to weigh on him. I'm sure he'd have a scholarship at any number of Louisiana D-1 schools where he could actually play. It's only natural.

But maybe he's a different dude.

Didn't someone say a while ago that Wagner was happy with his situation and just wants to focus on a degree?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 04:35:38 pm
Me personally I'd rather play 10-15 minutes on a major D1 school in my home state in front of an average crowd of 15,000 and play against the some of the best competition on a nightly basis and have regular season games on ESPN, than go to a mid-major and play in front of 1,000 people if I'm lucky, and be happy to get a game on ESPN 3.

That's just me though...

I was going say the exact same thing. The experience of just being in the rotation at an SEC school, especially one like Arkansas, has to outweigh playing at Missouri State or somewhere like that. Even Manny Watkins took the opportunity to walk on here rather than go to Missouri State. I realize most kids wouldn't go that far, and he's in a unique position, but still -- he was set to sign a LOI.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 04:38:55 pm
Didn't someone say a while ago that Wagner was happy with his situation and just wants to focus on a degree?

I believe someone did post that.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 25, 2014, 04:39:43 pm
I was going say the exact same thing. The experience of just being in the rotation at an SEC school, especially one like Arkansas, has to outweigh playing at Missouri State or somewhere like that. Even Manny Watkins took the opportunity to walk on here rather than go to Missouri State. I realize most kids wouldn't go that far, and he's in a unique position, but still -- he was set to sign a LOI.

I was just reading some comments about Hannahs from Texas Tech fans on his transfer.  Don't seem like many are too hurt by the loss of him.  I haven't seen him play just looking at the stats, they were saying he was a streaky shooter and can't create his own shots.

That's not really that concerning if he can hit open shots, because with the system we play we force a lot of teams to play zone, so he'll get opportunities for open shots, he won't have to create them on his own, he just has to knock them down.  So I'm wondering how good is he at actual hitting open shots.  Is he like Bell, where some nights he can't miss, and some he can't hit no matter how open he is, or is his main problem just getting the open shots?

Razorod

If I remember correctly, RazorAg posted that he and Anthlon attended the same Razorback camp two years ago. I believe Ag said Bell was the better prospect, but Hannahs looked good also. I also believe that the Hogs asked Hannahs to wait until spring to see if a scholarship would be available, but Hannahs chose not to and signed with Tech.

I may be all wrong, but that's what I seem to remember.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Hogberry Snortcake

Not picking this guy over anybody else, because I haven't seen him play at TT.  That being said, shooters we need.  Maybe he has a sick relative that he needs to be closer to.   

WizardofhOgZ

Wish him luck wherever he goes, but if it's here it needs to be as a walk-on.  Too many superior prospects coming up that we're in on to burn on on a guy whose best asset is 37% 3-point accuracy.  Good, but nothing special (by comparison, Madden was at 40% heading into last night).

Nothing at ALL against the kid.  But I'm looking at our needs and what he seems to bring to the table.  He would have to be a lights-out shooter, and he is only 38% overall from the field.  Shooting 37% from 3 he ought to be above 40% even if he took what would be considered a lot of 3-pointers.  Unless he's a John Stockton type distributor (and 1.3 assists per game while playing more than half the game doesn't so indicate), I think we can do better - and need to.

http://www.vivathematadors.com/2014/3/24/5543500/dusty-hannahs-to-transfer-from-texas-tech

Now, as a walk-on, that's a different story.  He could kinda/sorta replace Kikko.  But I wouldn't blame the kid and his family AT ALL if he chose to get a free ride someplace else.

-Blu

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 25, 2014, 05:55:52 pm
Wish him luck wherever he goes, but if it's here it needs to be as a walk-on.  Too many superior prospects coming up that we're in on to burn on on a guy whose best asset is 37% 3-point accuracy.  Good, but nothing special (by comparison, Madden was at 40% heading into last night).

Nothing at ALL against the kid.  But I'm looking at our needs and what he seems to bring to the table.  He would have to be a lights-out shooter, and he is only 38% overall from the field.  Shooting 37% from 3 he ought to be above 40% even if he took what would be considered a lot of 3-pointers.  Unless he's a John Stockton type distributor (and 1.3 assists per game while playing more than half the game doesn't so indicate), I think we can do better - and need to.

http://www.vivathematadors.com/2014/3/24/5543500/dusty-hannahs-to-transfer-from-texas-tech

Now, as a walk-on, that's a different story.  He could kinda/sorta replace Kikko.  But I wouldn't blame the kid and his family AT ALL if he chose to get a free ride someplace else.

You can't always look at shooting percentages, they don't always tell the whole story.  You can ask anyone on the team, who the best shooter on this team was and they would say Anthlon Bell is, despite only shooting 31% from 3.  And I bet you when other teams scouted us, they would put more emphasis on stopping Bell from shooting 3s than they would Madden, because if Bell gets going from 3 point land he can drop several in a row on you.  Madden is going to just take a few a game and not barrage you with 3s.  If you can get a guy like Hannah that's a known shooter and can knock down open shots, you go for it IMO.  37% isn't bad all, then you figure he has a red-shirt year to improve on that even more, if he can come in for 10-15 minutes a game and knock down a couple of shots and get teams out of a zone, that's worth it IMO.  Every recruit doesn't have to be a 4 or 5 star guy that has ridiculous numbers, you need guys that can fill roles as well.

And FWIW on another board, it's a guy saying he's close to the Hannah family and Arkansas is his first choice.  So, we'll see if that's true and if there is mutual interest.

Dusty is a slightly better version of Ant Bell.

CDBHawg

BPsTheMan

we need to run this by GUV before we make a decision

TT222

I hope Mike makes it happen..I really believe he would be a benefit to our basketball team.

razorback1829

Wagner likely already done. Prolly was just waiting the season out. Got beard who is a small guard coming in, Durham is taller by a couple inches. I'm thinkin we make a late push for a shooter or scorer.  Everyone else stays.

ballinhog

Being that I was a teen in the mid 90's and Al Dillard was my all time favorite player and the guy I tried to pattern my game after, I've always liked the guys that shoot it from well beyond the 3 point line. So as far as I'm concerned I would love it if Dusty Hannahs becomes a hog

pigture perfect

The 2 greatest needs of this team is shooters and rebounders. Why would you pass on this kid, especially since he's an Arkansan.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"