Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have heard a lot of people talk about the meter....

Started by razorback_fan, February 05, 2008, 12:07:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback_fan

that was in Barnhill back in the days.  I never went to a game at barnhill, but I wanted to see what this meter was all about.  Does anyone have a picture of it so the people that never went to a game at barnhill have an idea of what is it?

jgphillips3

Quote from: razorback_fan on February 05, 2008, 12:07:42 am
that was in Barnhill back in the days.  I never went to a game at barnhill, but I wanted to see what this meter was all about.  Does anyone have a picture of it so the people that never went to a game at barnhill have an idea of what is it?

It was a noise meter that would measure the decibels (I presume) when it got loud.  The crowd would really work to max it out. 

bobbybouchet

I vaguely remember it, I don't think it was very high tech.  Probably just some dude plugging in light bulbs based on how loud he thought it was.

flagstaffhog

Arkansas had a crazy band leader at that time (Jim Robkin, I think) that would run around the gym like a mad man reving the crowd's noise level to the sound meter's maximum. Those were fun times......very loud and very effective.
Go HOGS Go!

1836andon

They had it in Bud Walton as well.  It disappeared along with the crowds in the late 90's. 

bobbybouchet

Quote from: 1836andon on February 05, 2008, 12:18:04 am
They had it in Bud Walton as well.  It disappeared along with the crowds in the late 90's. 

Sad but true...

1836andon

Quote from: Head Hawg on February 05, 2008, 12:22:20 am
While were on the topic of old fun stuff.. Bring back the Remote Control Helmets at the football games. The small one and the one the guy drove around. I do remember the meter it was to the left of band and it did get loud!

Good ole times!

I say ditch Sue E and bring in the Helmet scooter!

I don't see us bringing the helmets back now that we have real grass.  The big one used to moved around pretty quickly on the old turf.  I think it might cause a little damage these days. 

Marshfieldhog

Lets make a trade..bring back the meter and get rid of Shanklin.

razorback_fan

Quote from: 1836andon on February 05, 2008, 12:29:44 am
I don't see us bringing the helmets back now that we have real grass.  The big one used to moved around pretty quickly on the old turf.  I think it might cause a little damage these days. 

Anyone have pictures of the helmets or the meter?

pigsooiec5

I think i've read that the meter is banned per SEC rules.

meangene

I remember Sport Mag ranked Barnhill as the toughest homecourt back in the day. Tougher than Cameron, well with progress, comes a diminished atmosphere.
"If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team."

Bud Wilkinson

NWAREDBUG

Quote from: 1836andon on February 05, 2008, 12:29:44 am

The big helmet is now down at Paris, I was at a football game there last year and a guy was driving it around the track each time they scored. I asked him if it was like the old razorback one and he said this is it. Told me due to liability he could not use it at the U of A anymore. :razorback:

1836andon

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 05, 2008, 12:55:51 am
Bring back Fat Guy.

Hog Man?  I've heard he quit drinking whiskey so I doubt he'd be as entertaining now.  We'll let Bubba Hog take his place for now. 

Sao Ming

Quote from: 1836andon on February 05, 2008, 01:00:06 am
Hog Man?  I've heard he quit drinking whiskey so I doubt he'd be as entertaining now.  We'll let Bubba Hog take his place for now. 

"Hog Man".  You would never hear that chant from us.  He didn't mind Fat Guy either.  The cape was a nice touch but nothing compared to hearing the squeak of human skin being transferred to the court.  Some slides were better than others but he never failed to entertain. 

Remember the rotary phones that rang at press row?  PHONE!!!!!

razorbass

Quote from: razorback_fan on February 05, 2008, 12:07:42 am
Nowhere will ever be as loud a Barnhill, had allot to do with the band director back then. I Just can't remember his name. Somebody help me out.

razorbass

BassinHawg

Guy Lewis (Houston Cougars) tried to get the SWC to ban the Noise Meter back in the Olajuwon days.

He wasn't successful at it though.

Those were truly some of the loudest atomospheres anywhere, anytime, period.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Cassperr

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GCcasper04 on February 05, 2008, 02:27:22 am
why is it banned now? Doesn't make a lot of sense
I don't think it is. I have seen similar ones at other courts recently.

SunriseHog

GO CARDINALS!! GO HOGS!!

Bluehorseshoe luvs HOGS

While were on the topic of old fun stuff.. Bring back the Remote Control Helmets at the football games. The small one and the one the guy drove around. I do remember the meter it was to the left of band and it did get loud!

Good ole times!

OH MAN!!! I forgot about the RC helmet. that thing was cool. I remember a game in LR, way back in the 70's,  probably before some of you were born. Can't remember who we were playing, but the the RC helmet was running around during pregame warmups, messing with apposing team. It would run at them and then stop and back up, had them all distracted.  But then the unthinkable happened, it got too close to a player, may have even touched his foot, and........ you guessed it, he kicked the helmet.  The place went bezerk!!!!

I think he tried to hide the rest of the game.

Remember Robkin too, dude could get the crowd all jacked up during timeouts. There is no way either team could hear their coach.

As 8 yr old son would say,  Good Times, Good Times.
It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.

A PLAYER, or NOTHING!!!

You need a friend get a HOG.

Clark W Grishawg

Quote from: GCcasper04 on February 05, 2008, 02:27:22 am
why is it banned now? Doesn't make a lot of sense
It's not. It was also not present at any time in Bud Walton Arena. It died when Jim Robken got fired for inappropriate conduct with a student. Enter W. Dale Warren and his scripted gameplan.

Even if it were banned, just do what MSU does regarding cowbells. Ignore the ban rule.

BCShogs

Did that helmet have Steve Little's number on it? Seems like I remember a helmet with his name or number.

ABM

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 05, 2008, 01:11:51 am
"Hog Man".  You would never hear that chant from us.  He didn't mind Fat Guy either.  The cape was a nice touch but nothing compared to hearing the squeak of human skin being transferred to the court.  Some slides were better than others but he never failed to entertain. 

Remember the rotary phones that rang at press row?  PHONE!!!!!

Dude you had to be at the UofA the same time I was.

Didnt Fat Guy win a contest of who was the craziest fan. 

The sound of fat on the hardwood was awesome.  And youre right "Hog Man" was never the chant.  "FAT GUY FAT GUY FAT GUY"  Damn those were the days of camping out for tickets, missing a day of classes to get a good seat.   :razorback:

wholehog92

I have looked for a long time for an image for you and failed.  I think when you are looking for images from before digital cameras, it becomes difficult.  I will try to describe it from memory.

It was a black rectangle like an old high school scoreboard with a line of light bulbs up one side with wite letters from around 80 db up to around 110 db?? along the side of the bulbs and something was written on the top to the effect of we want the noise to get here.  It had a hog on it of course and perhaps some advertising on the bottom.  Incredibly simple and effective at positively generating noise with the crowd trying to max that thing out.  It seems like they didn't just keep it on, just at strategic points to prevent boredom with it.  I was pretty young when I last saw it, so if anyone remembers it differntly chime in.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

oldfart

i know it had steve's number, cant remember if it had his name or not.  sure was popular with the fans.

Quote from: neahogfan22 on February 05, 2008, 09:27:58 am
Did that helmet have Steve Little's number on it? Seems like I remember a helmet with his name or number.

Sao Ming

Quote from: ABM on February 05, 2008, 09:51:32 am
Dude you had to be at the UofA the same time I was.

Didnt Fat Guy win a contest of who was the craziest fan. 

The sound of fat on the hardwood was awesome.  And youre right "Hog Man" was never the chant.  "FAT GUY FAT GUY FAT GUY"  Damn those were the days of camping out for tickets, missing a day of classes to get a good seat.   :razorback:

We were there together I bet. 

My freshman year was 89.

For a Texas kid who did not get to see many games in the Barn growing up, seeing the May/Day/Miller teams as a wide eyed frosh was a dream come true.  Absolutely the best time of my life.

maximus

steve rode in it during the games, before he passed.  then the helmet went away.  it was his fancy wheelchair i believe.  that is why it had his number on it. 
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

secfan30

Quote from: pigsooiec5 on February 05, 2008, 12:36:26 am
I think i've read that the meter is banned per SEC rules.

You know, I have been told the same thing. Not too long ago I got into this same conversation with my coiusin and he said we could not have it in the SEC.

maximus

maximus

i wonder if the sound meter thing was like what we had in gradeschool.  in bentonville when i was little there was a meter hangin in the lunchroom when we got to loud.  but i think that one was like a stop sign.  goofy. lol. 

ABM

Quote from: Sao Ming on February 05, 2008, 12:26:59 pm
We were there together I bet. 

My freshman year was 89.

For a Texas kid who did not get to see many games in the Barn growing up, seeing the May/Day/Miller teams as a wide eyed frosh was a dream come true.  Absolutely the best time of my life.

Yep my freshman year was 90.  That place got so dang loud your ears would ring for a day after you left.

Cale

how about someone who goes too all the games up there ( i dont because I dont have tickets or live within 30 minutes of it) start taking a home grown meter, may inspire someone to bring it back?
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

jet

Quote from: 1836andon on February 05, 2008, 12:18:04 am
Yeah I remember it being in there for a two game stretch one week in which we beat Auburn and Kentucky who were both Top 10 respectfully and that was the last time I remember seeing it at all but it definitely maxed out during those games. Can anyone remember what year that was?...pretty vague I know
"I got that wood! And that's how you pronounce it! It's not Ar-Kan, it's ARKANSAS baby!" - Darren McFadden

ballhogger14u

i only seen a couple of games in there , but it was awesome , got to see moncrief play his last game in there, i was in the 2nd grade and got his autograph, will never forget that place.

Bigfoot

Quote from: flagstaffhog on February 05, 2008, 12:17:02 am
Arkansas had a crazy band leader at that time (Jim Robkin, I think) that would run around the gym like a mad man reving the crowd's noise level to the sound meter's maximum. Those were fun times......very loud and very effective.
Yep, i miss Jim!

RazorBassin

hawgfandude

Good ole times!

You leave Sue E alone.  My daughter stays occupied watching her.   

1836andon

Quote from: jet on February 05, 2008, 01:58:19 pm
Yeah I remember it being in there for a two game stretch one week in which we beat Auburn and Kentucky who were both Top 10 respectfully and that was the last time I remember seeing it at all but it definitely maxed out during those games. Can anyone remember what year that was?...pretty vague I know

That was 1999. 

razorrog1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsyULkfxzc

Couldn't find the noise meter, but here is some Barnhill flavor.
Dang, UNLV was tough.

JoeSlam

Quote from: Clark W Grishawg on February 05, 2008, 09:25:17 am
It's not. It was also not present at any time in Bud Walton Arena. It died when Jim Robken got fired for inappropriate conduct with a student. Enter W. Dale Warren and his scripted gameplan.

Even if it were banned, just do what MSU does regarding cowbells. Ignore the ban rule.

Actually, is was present during the early years of BWA-- I was in the Hogwild band at the time.

TransAmHawg

Would Pelphrey have played for KY in the Bud Barn with Robkin as band leader? What's the timeline for that? I remember watching them build Bud Walton Arena but not sure which season was the first in it. Barnhill was extremely loud but I have been in BW when it was as loud. The 94 season was loud, period.
Barnhill was special.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

razorback_fan

Quote from: TransAmHawg on February 06, 2008, 09:47:27 pm
Would Pelphrey have played for KY in the Bud Barn with Robkin as band leader? What's the timeline for that? I remember watching them build Bud Walton Arena but not sure which season was the first in it. Barnhill was extremely loud but I have been in BW when it was as loud. The 94 season was loud, period.
Barnhill was special.

I'm not sure what year Robkin left..but Pelphrey never played against Arkansas in Fayetteville.  He coached against us when he was at Florida.  He played at Kentucky from 89-92 and our first season in the SEC was 1991-1992 so he only played against once and we won that game in Lexington 105-88.

guy8699

the mobile civic center in mobile alabama had an r/c blimp they flew around during intermissions and stuff at the hockey games there...that would be a good addition to the BWA experience

Darth Piggy

February 06, 2008, 10:32:02 pm #46 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:33:34 pm by Darth Piggy
The 1991 Basketball season was Robkin's last.  I was in the hogwild band from 1991-1995.  I met Robkin the day I tried out in 1991 (my senior year).  He had just returned from his interview at LA Tech.  Robkin was responsible for a lot of the Razorback basketball atmosphere, but he also chose to act rather unprofessionally.  Now in my younger days that unprofessional behavior sounded pretty fun, but in retrosprect designing halftime shows on bar napkins at Fuzzy's (form grad assistant told me these stories) is probably not the best thing to do if you want to keep your job ( and of course some of the other "things" he did).  I loved my years in the band at school.  I wish I could've been a few years older, so I could have worked with Robkin, but I got to see the Hogs cut down the nets.  I wouldn't trade that for anything.

JoeSlam

Quote from: Darth Piggy on February 06, 2008, 10:32:02 pm
The 1991 Basketball season was Robkin's last.  I was in the hogwild band from 1991-1995.  I met Robkin the day I tried out in 1991 (my senior year).  He had just returned from his interview at LA Tech.  Robkin was responsible for a lot of the Razorback basketball atmosphere, but he also chose to act rather unprofessionally.  Now in my younger days that unprofessional behavior sounded pretty fun, but in retrosprect designing halftime shows on bar napkins at Fuzzy's (form grad assistant told me these stories) is probably not the best thing to do if you want to keep your job ( and of course some of the other "things" he did).  I loved my years in the band at school.  I wish I could've been a few years older, so I could have worked with Robkin, but I got to see the Hogs cut down the nets.  I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Shaft, is that you?
~Frenchy

duckhunter

Good ole times!

Arkansas would not let him drive it anymore when we switched back to real grass.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.