Started by redleg, October 06, 2016, 08:30:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

:razorback:
QB - DONE, got Daulton Hyatt
RB - DONE, got Maleek Williams and Chase Hayden
WR - DONE, got Maleek Barkley, Koilan Jackson, and Jonathan Nance
TE - DONE, got Jeremy Patton
OL - got Dalton Wagner, Shane Clenin, and Kirby Adcock - recruiting Dwayne Fisher, D'Marcus Hayes, and Badara Traore
DE - got Ryder Anderson - recruiting Isaiah Buggs and Michael Clemons
DT - recruiting Javier Edwards
LB - got Derrick Munson and Josh Paul - recruiting Thomas Johnston
CB - got Jarques McClellion and Jordan Curtis - recruiting JaCorian Andrews, Keisean Nixon, and Chevin Calloway
S - got Montaric Brown and Korey Hernandez - recruiting J'Marick Woods
ATH - got Devion Warren and Jarrod Barnes - recruiting Jaiden Cole

If I missed any recruits, help me out and add them on.  ::hornsdown::
Go Hogs!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

outlawhogeywells

I would like to see us add more OL and DL and more LB

rljjr

jackflash

think we are recruiting dl Jones from La Evans from JC has some interest a defensive lineman from Alabama who name I can't remember right now

TuffTusk

LB-Bumper Pool....I hope we are still on him....I dig the name
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

scooby21322

Quote from: TuffTusk on October 07, 2016, 09:31:25 am
LB-Bumper Pool....I hope we are still on him....I dig the name

Isn't he a 2018?

TuffTusk

Quote from: scooby21322 on October 07, 2016, 09:38:11 am
Isn't he a 2018?

You are correct...my bad...still like the name :razorback:
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

Exit Pursued by a Boar

We need some speed on defense regardless.

EFBAB

ChicoHog

And CBs who can man handle receivers and tackle. 

navyhog24

Can we recruit new coaches that know how to recruit?

ballinhog

J'Marick Woods tweeted that this was his best visit so far. It would sure be nice to flip him from Michigan. As bad as our safety play is this year I could see Brown, Hernandez and Woods (if we could flip him) as our primary rotation at safety next year lol

I wish Deon Edwards and Micah Smith would get a shot. Surely they ain't that dang bad. I always figured if you're gonna play like a freshman then we should just play the freshman. There's no way our safety play could get worse if even both of these guys started.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ballinhog on October 09, 2016, 07:03:25 pm
J'Marick Woods tweeted that this was his best visit so far. It would sure be nice to flip him from Michigan. As bad as our safety play is this year I could see Brown, Hernandez and Woods (if we could flip him) as our primary rotation at safety next year lol

I wish Deon Edwards and Micah Smith would get a shot. Surely they ain't that dang bad. I always figured if you're gonna play like a freshman then we should just play the freshman. There's no way our safety play could get worse if even both of these guys started.
Safety play could get much worse. 

ballinhog

The Hawg Marshal

So should we expect some good news on Nelson Mbanasor, now that he has De-committed from Okie Lite ?

ballinhog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2016, 09:22:03 am
So should we expect some good news on Nelson Mbanasor, now that he has De-committed from Okie Lite ?

That was my first thought as well

ricepig

Quote from: ballinhog on October 10, 2016, 11:36:55 am
That was my first thought as well

Taking visits too Texas Tech and Illinois, we'll see.

pigskenG

Woods looks good at safety. Good size, appears to be in the right spot, goes for the interception, and not afraid to hit.
Mbanasor shows good quickness and instincts. Wonder if he can keep his weight down and play as a 250 pound MLB ?
JMO.

Oklahawg

Edwards has some potential. Smith was the longest of reaches last year, right at the end, too. We've been there before and had it work, but the margin for error is less in the secondary due to the offenses we see. This is not the HDN-era of the SEC.

The recruits we hosted are solid recruits. They will be productive players, likely, for someone. Missing is the true frosh who can play from day one. Ala Agim and Capps. Ala Whaley. Heinrich, if not hurt. Harris (and note he was not an uber-major recruit).

Recruiting doesn't have to be revolutionized. First, get the numbers in the depth chart "right." Second, continue to pursue and sign targets who can "hang" in the SEC. Third, hope for an anchor every year or two, or that you actually do find a diamond in the rough (one a year is pretty aggressive thinking, and we want 2-3 on each side of the ball). Finally, you begin upticking the quality of recruit you chase.

The secondary issue was really crunched by:
1. chasing a great safety from TX who mocked our efforts on a recruiting visit. oops
2. chasing a great CB whose Dad had a relationship with LSU. oops
3. chasing a great JUCO CB whose coach lied to our staff, concealing interest elsewhere. oops

Lots of wasted time/energy in 1-3. Convert just one of those into a signable safety who was a nice 3-star player with upside and we have someone playing right now, limited minutes, and helping a lot next year. Playing time remains a selling point, that's for sure.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

1highhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 10, 2016, 03:09:00 pm
Edwards has some potential. Smith was the longest of reaches last year, right at the end, too. We've been there before and had it work, but the margin for error is less in the secondary due to the offenses we see. This is not the HDN-era of the SEC.

The recruits we hosted are solid recruits. They will be productive players, likely, for someone. Missing is the true frosh who can play from day one. Ala Agim and Capps. Ala Whaley. Heinrich, if not hurt. Harris (and note he was not an uber-major recruit).

Recruiting doesn't have to be revolutionized. First, get the numbers in the depth chart "right." Second, continue to pursue and sign targets who can "hang" in the SEC. Third, hope for an anchor every year or two, or that you actually do find a diamond in the rough (one a year is pretty aggressive thinking, and we want 2-3 on each side of the ball). Finally, you begin upticking the quality of recruit you chase.

1. chasing a great safety from TX who mocked our efforts on a recruiting visit. oops
3. chasing a great JUCO CB whose coach lied to our staff, concealing interest elsewhere. oops

Lots of wasted time/energy in 1-3. Convert just one of those into a signable safety who was a nice 3-star player with upside and we have someone playing right now, limited minutes, and helping a lot next year. Playing time remains a selling point, that's for sure.

Who the heck was #1?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 1highhog on October 10, 2016, 04:52:12 pm
Who the heck was #1?

Can't remember the name, but they sent him home.. was from the same school as another recruit, if I remember correctly.. don't think we got either one...

beringer62

Dominicanhog

Quote from: beringer62 on October 10, 2016, 05:25:11 pm
Eric Cuffee, I think

Wasn't it Cuffee we didn't get but his team mate that was tweeting the Horns... or was that Cuffee doing the tweeting?  Waco?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2016, 09:22:03 am

Hopefully, his brother decides to transfer to Arkansas as well

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 10, 2016, 03:09:00 pm

What are you saying here?  I never did hear anything else about that situation after he signed at Florida?

Also on your list you are forgetting the guy from Texas that ended up at UT, was a real nice kid and his mom really liked Arkansas, he was a long shot 5 star.  Cant remember his name, but i believe he has blocked 2 punts or field goals already this year at UT.  We really need 2 of those on that list, we got 0. 

Edit: Brandon something I believe.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 10, 2016, 06:05:09 pm
Wasn't it Cuffee we didn't get but his team mate that was tweeting the Horns... or was that Cuffee doing the tweeting?  Waco?

Ah Yes so Brandon Jones was the player I am thinking of.  Eric Cuffee came with him and was sent home.  Many thought Eric was just here to stay in Jones ear because Jones and his mother really liked the Arkansas staff. 

Airforcehawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2016, 06:52:03 pm
What are you saying here?  I never did hear anything else about that situation after he signed at Florida?

Also on your list you are forgetting the guy from Texas that ended up at UT, was a real nice kid and his mom really liked Arkansas, he was a long shot 5 star.  Cant remember his name, but i believe he has blocked 2 punts or field goals already this year at UT.  We really need 2 of those on that list, we got 0. 

Edit: Brandon something I believe.

Brandon Jones...also missed out on Chris Daniels (Dline) towards the end. Offered him late, and then put on a full court press. I think he was upset on the late offer, and tweeted something to the affect "Finally got an offer from the Home State".

http://247sports.com/player/brandon-jones-36759
http://247sports.com/player/chris-daniels-31899

CaddoHog

Quote from: ballinhog on October 09, 2016, 07:03:25 pm
I wish Deon Edwards and Micah Smith would get a shot. Surely they ain't that dang bad

The ppl in Marshall and in the east texas area say that Micahh Smith was an under-the-radar guy and that he was under-recruited.  That he is a better player than the rankings showed.

I guess we will see.  He already has the size, and decent speed.
Supposedly he has the santos Ramirez aggression, but a step faster.

Hope they are correct, we need help in the Secondary badly.
Actually, we need help... EVERYWHERE...
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

CaddoHog

Oklahawg

Yes, Jones and Cuffie both were on the UA campus. Putu is the JUCO who committed but knowingly led UA on waiting on UF to do their thing with a top HS recruit (UF lost that recruit and Putu had his UF scholarship).

Bet we don't recruit that JUCO again.

Folks, the names we are talking about here - Fulton, Putu, Jones, Cuffie, add in Porter, add in Cleveland, add in Solomon Thomas from the year before - those are big names who would make a helluva difference. Grab just 2-3 off the list and we notice it this year already.

I know some find this next statement unacceptable but I'll toss it out: we don't need to improve our recruiting for 15 of the 25 slots, or 10 of the 25 slots. We need to improve 4-5 per year to see an uptick on the field. Then, we can move on to 8-10 if that is what we want.

This is a complex machine with tons of moving parts. We have no back-up plans for most parts, though, and if one doesn't land on the roster there is a big breakdown on the overall performance.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 10, 2016, 11:30:29 pm
Yes, Jones and Cuffie both were on the UA campus. Putu is the JUCO who committed but knowingly led UA on waiting on UF to do their thing with a top HS recruit (UF lost that recruit and Putu had his UF scholarship).

Folks, the names we are talking about here - Fulton, Putu, Jones, Cuffie, add in Porter, add in Cleveland, add in Solomon Thomas from the year before - those are big names who would make a helluva difference. Grab just 2-3 off the list and we notice it this year already.

I know some find this next statement unacceptable but I'll toss it out: we don't need to improve our recruiting for 15 of the 25 slots, or 10 of the 25 slots. We need to improve 4-5 per year to see an uptick on the field. Then, we can move on to 8-10 if that is what we want.

This is a complex machine with tons of moving parts. We have no back-up plans for most parts, though, and if one doesn't land on the roster there is a big breakdown on the overall performance.

Last year ability to not close at least 1 or 2 of those big players is going to hurt. We must do it this year but not sure we are seeing the names pop up with relationships already in place. We must keep filling the coffers with better players and let's hope there is some good coaching going on

ballinhog

Quote from: BeeCee on October 10, 2016, 09:06:00 pm
The ppl in Marshall and in the east texas area say that Micahh Smith was an under-the-radar guy and that he was under-recruited.  That he is a better player than the rankings showed.

I guess we will see.  He already has the size, and decent speed.
Supposedly he has the santos Ramirez aggression, but a step faster.

Hope they are correct, we need help in the Secondary badly.
Actually, we need help... EVERYWHERE...

I wish they would give him a shot. He can't be no worse than #28 or #9

CaddoHog

Quote from: ballinhog on October 12, 2016, 08:36:06 pm
I wish they would give him a shot. He can't be no worse than #28 or #9

I agree.

Here's a snippet of him in action.  He looks good, but this is a "highlight" vid.
Most anyone looks good in those.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3903748/5721d9af64e96b638025ec73

Guess we will find out next season how he's coming along, and if he can help/get in the rotation.

ballinhog

Quote from: BeeCee on October 12, 2016, 10:11:52 pm
I agree.

Here's a snippet of him in action.  He looks good, but this is a "highlight" vid.
Most anyone looks good in those.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3903748/5721d9af64e96b638025ec73

Guess we will find out next season how he's coming along, and if he can help/get in the rotation.

Gonna be exciting to see how safety plays out next year with the young guys. I'm excited about Smith and Deon Edwards. Also Montaric Brown is probably our highest rated safety we've had in awhile and im very very high on Korey Hernandez if he ends up at safety

Steef

Steef

Good post.

Its the lack of a backup plan last year, that i was disappointed by.

Floruda had a backup plan. It was Putu.

Why didnt we have a backup FOR Putu?

Lots of folks scream for "stars". Well, Coach went for "stars". He did. But we whiffed.

Maybe we could just look for speed, instead.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 05:46:53 am
Good post.

Lots of folks scream for "stars". Well, Coach went for "stars". He did. But we whiffed.

You don't think there is a correlation between speed and stars?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 05:46:53 am
Good post.

I think the staff thought they could land 1-2 from the list of 5-6 they were chasing at the end, including Putu. That we didn't allowed us to have room for Smith, who is a long-term project. We don't know enough about Smith to tell yet. All things considered, we needed one of those instant-impact guys.

ballinhog

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 05:41:54 am
I laughed.

I didnt want to, but i did.

lol I ain't trying to be too hard on our safeties, I love anybody that puts that razorback  helmet on. I just don't see Ramirez or Liddell as sec caliber at this point. Doesn't mean they never will be but for now there seriously has to be a better option. Honestly Liddell is athletic enough and big enough, has good speed, I think he wouldn't be too terrible of a corner, with good coaching. He just doesn't have that physical mean streak to come up and support the run. That's not necessarily dogging him bc most people in the world don't.

Takes a different kind of human to come into the sec and have the mean streak and ability to come up and take on these linemen and get after these running backs. I keep looking at Reid Miller, how many walk-ons play as a true freshman and then earn a scholarship after their first year. There has to be a reason for that. Maybe he could give us a spark. Bottom line is the coaches don't see this the way I do so I just hope Liddell "gets it" and gets it soon. I am rooting for him

ballinhog

I agree with this. It seems our classes for the most part are "good enough" we just have to close better on these few names every year that could make a huge difference for us. That Putu deal hurt my heart lol I was pretty high on him. And for some reason which I still don't know why, I kept thinking we had a shot at Fulton. He was one of the top 4-5 guys I wanted us to get last year and even though he had 100% crystal ball to LSU I was still hard headed enough to think we could have landed him.

I think in this next class, Montaric Brown is gonna make a huge difference. And although he doesn't have 4 or 5 stars by his name, I'm excited about Korey Hernandez. Seems to just be a playmaker.

These last few spots need to be impact guys. We have got to close better this year

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2016, 12:16:50 pm
You don't think there is a correlation between speed and stars?

I think its likely that all high star recruits are fast.

But its entirely possible tgat all fast recruits arent necessarily high stars. Likely, even.

Steef

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 13, 2016, 01:30:08 pm
I think the staff thought they could land 1-2 from the list of 5-6 they were chasing at the end, including Putu. That we didn't allowed us to have room for Smith, who is a long-term project. We don't know enough about Smith to tell yet. All things considered, we needed one of those instant-impact guys.

I think its PROBABLE they thought they could land one or two.

They were just wrong.

They need to alter their paradigm a bit, or it could bite them again this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 02:10:00 pm
I think its likely that all high star recruits are fast.

But its entirely possible tgat all fast recruits arent necessarily high stars. Likely, even.

Really?? get me a laser time on all recruits 40 yard dash, and then rank them in order of time vs stars.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2016, 03:17:00 pm
Really?? get me a laser time on all recruits 40 yard dash, and then rank them in order of time vs stars.

Yes.

Really.

Speed isnt the only factor that goes into rankings. It it was, all anyone would have to do is cruise the track team.

Also, the number of recruits each year is disproportionate to the number of guys working for ranking services.

Also, some recruits are just misjudged. We had a five star Dback here that never amounted to much.

CaddoHog

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 04:38:00 pm

Speed isnt the only factor that goes into rankings. It it was, all anyone would have to do is cruise the track team.

True.
Speed, AND - football IQ, play reaction, height, bench, vertical jump, block abil, tackling abil...
the recruit's all-around abilities.  All of it factored in.

The recruit's vitals are simply what folks go by for a general look at & info on him.

But yes, good post by you Steef.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 04:38:00 pm
Yes.

Really.

Also, the number of recruits each year is disproportionate to the number of guys working for ranking services.

Also, some recruits are just misjudged. We had a five star Dback here that never amounted to much.

Yep, he had that speed, though......

ricepig

Quote from: BeeCee on October 13, 2016, 05:33:55 pm

True.
Speed, AND - football IQ, play reaction, height, bench, vertical jump, block abil, tackling abil...
the recruit's all-around abilities.  All of it factored in.

The recruit's vitals are simply what folks go by for a general look at & info on him.

But yes, good post by you Steef.

Yep, I'd rather have a 3* that will attempt to make a tackle, than a 5* running beside the WR never going for the ball or receiver.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2016, 05:54:27 pm
Yep, I'd rather have a 3* that will attempt to make a tackle, than a 5* running beside the WR never going for the ball or receiver.

Ah. Smarm.

You've made better posts.

No one said....NO one said...we shouldnt try to recruit star players. What WAS said was...Coach needs to have a backup plan if he whiffs on the star players.

ricepig

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2016, 06:53:30 pm
Ah. Smarm.

You've made better posts.

No one said....NO one said...we shouldnt try to recruit star players. What WAS said was...Coach needs to have a backup plan if he whiffs on the star players.

I'm not a stargazer at all, and I agree we need more speed, but it takes much more than speed to play the game, which I think you would agree.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: ballinhog on October 13, 2016, 01:55:49 am
Gonna be exciting to see how safety plays out next year with the young guys. I'm excited about Smith and Deon Edwards. Also Montaric Brown is probably our highest rated safety we've had in awhile and im very very high on Korey Hernandez if he ends up at safety
I heard some good things about Smith in fall camp.  Hopefully we got a diamond in the rough with him.