Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car rental question

Started by southhog, January 24, 2014, 02:53:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

southhog

Thinking about going to Yellowstone this summer I'm thinking I would like to drive there, but fly back. Can you rent a car and drop it off at the airport rental places in another state? Kind  of like you do the Uhauls. I have never rented a car before, so I'm new to this

CampuspostmanHOG

zane

Quote from: southhog on January 24, 2014, 02:53:31 pm
Thinking about going to Yellowstone this summer I'm thinking I would like to drive there, but fly back. Can you rent a car and drop it off at the airport rental places in another state? Kind  of like you do the Uhauls. I have never rented a car before, so I'm new to this

Are you driving from Arkansas?

This will likely cost you a small fortune. I've done one ways before and they charge you out the you know what for it.
RIP LSUfan

southhog

Yes would be driving from Arkansas. Never been far west and just wanted to see the country between Arkansas and Yellowstone. I'm beginning to change my mind though and just fly to Jackson, Wy rent a car there and explore Yellowstone from there

husker71

I was just trying to rent one from NWA to Dallas Fort Worth airport.  Just drive there and drop it off.  Total from website was $398  for using their car for the 10 hour trip.  Outrageous

Boog41

South, I've made the drive from NWA to Yellowstone. It honestly is not a pretty drive. Mostly flat and lots of crop land. You won't be missing much by flying both ways.

Get ready for an interesting take off and landing though. Short runway with a mountain in front of it. You basically start turning as soon as you get off the ground and corkscrew out.

DeltaBoy

Fly both ways it will be cheaper.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Fly in, you'll get plenty of driving while you are there.   It is a LARGE park....  I rent cars all the time, picking it up at one airport and dropping at another.... it's pretty much standard...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: southhog on January 25, 2014, 04:41:01 pm
Yes would be driving from Arkansas. Never been far west and just wanted to see the country between Arkansas and Yellowstone. I'm beginning to change my mind though and just fly to Jackson, Wy rent a car there and explore Yellowstone from there

Not a lot of "pretty" country between Arkansas and Yellowstone. It does depend on which way you go a  little bit. If you do drive it take a side trip and go through the Black Hills and see Mt. Rushmore. Otherwise go towards Colorado and up towards the south entrance of the park and then you can also see the Grand Tetons. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 28, 2014, 02:57:15 pm
Fly in, you'll get plenty of driving while you are there.   It is a LARGE park....  I rent cars all the time, picking it up at one airport and dropping at another.... it's pretty much standard...

THIS!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ArkansasI

I think it depends on the length of your trip...  If you are going for 11-14 days, you might enjoy the drive.  Yes, it is a helluva long way, but if you've never seen South Dakota - it's an interesting place to drive through.  Big country, but beautiful.

Stop at the Corn Palace in Mitchell (it's only OK, but a welcome break from the road), Wall Drug, see the Badlands, Black Hills (Rushmore), Cody, WY.  Enter the East entrance and return through the South entrance through the Tetons.

If you hate driving, then don't do it - I realize that this is a ton of driving... but you'll likely see states that you've not been to.  They have their own beauty.

Regardless of how you get to Yellowstone, it is an amazing place.  Beautiful...  If you plan to stay in the park, get your reservations now - a year in advance is recommended.  If you are camping - then you should be ok.  If you can't get a place in the park, there are interesting alternatives, but you'll spend much more time getting in and out of the park.

This is a fantastic trip.  I would recommend it to anyone.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2014, 11:29:22 pm
I think it depends on the length of your trip...  If you are going for 11-14 days, you might enjoy the drive.  Yes, it is a helluva long way, but if you've never seen South Dakota - it's an interesting place to drive through.  Big country, but beautiful.

Stop at the Corn Palace in Mitchell (it's only OK, but a welcome break from the road), Wall Drug, see the Badlands, Black Hills (Rushmore), Cody, WY.  Enter the East entrance and return through the South entrance through the Tetons.

If you hate driving, then don't do it - I realize that this is a ton of driving... but you'll likely see states that you've not been to.  They have their own beauty.

Regardless of how you get to Yellowstone, it is an amazing place.  Beautiful...  If you plan to stay in the park, get your reservations now - a year in advance is recommended.  If you are camping - then you should be ok.  If you can't get a place in the park, there are interesting alternatives, but you'll spend much more time getting in and out of the park.

This is a fantastic trip.  I would recommend it to anyone.

Yellowstone is awesome..... the Grand Teton's are more awesome and adjacent to the South of Yellowstone.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)