Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steamboat

Started by Huckleberry Pig, January 22, 2014, 11:31:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckleberry Pig

Anyone ever been?  I am going for the first time this upcoming week.  the GF's parents are taking us and a few other relatives - all expenses paid!  Will have 6 full days of skiing (longest I've ever been)

Been skiing my whole life (black/blue skier) and have heard it's a great skier's mountain so I'm really looking forward to it.  Looking at the map of the slopes it surprised me to see some blacks towards the bottom of the mountain right next to greens.  My GF, her uncle, and her niece will all be skiing for their first time but are doing a group private lesson to hopefully catch on a little quicker. 

If anyone's been, what's your favorite peak/s or runs? 

Also, any good restaurants/bars we need to try for after the slopes? 

Inhogswetrust

January 22, 2014, 12:09:48 pm #1 Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:39:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Been there several times. Most black runs there aren't to bad. The beginners should definitely ski in the area around the base of the Gondola and Christie lift up to the mid mountain area of Thunderhead lodge and below until they feel more comfortable. Only one easy green run once you go all the way up to Storm and Sunshine Peaks to get back down for the beginners. Lot's of nice blue runs on Sunshine Peak. The good thing is if you want to ski black and others want to ski blue or green as you say there are some close to each other and you can meet up at the end of the run to catch the lift back up. Some of the best powder I've ever skied is there. The ski school there is excellent or at least it was years ago when I used it. If anyone needs rentals try One Stop Ski Shop in town. Nice little shop. The resort is a mile or so out of town but there are busses but sometimes they take a while. TONS of good restaurants. Just ask where the locals eat. My favorite is 8th Street Steakhouse in town. It's one of those where you have to cook your own steak. Mahogany's Brewery and Grill is also in town and a good bar. In the resort area is Cafe' Diva's. Anybody that doesn't want to ski or take a day off from it there is a hot springs there, sleigh rides and dog sledding. The coldest I have ever been in my life was on a evening sleigh ride in Steamboat! Enjoy!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2014, 12:09:48 pm
Been there several times. Most black runs there aren't to bad. The beginners should definably ski in the area around the base of the Gondola and Christie lift up to the mid mountain area of Thunderhead lodge and below until they feel more comfortable. Only one easy green run once you go all the way up to Storm and Sunshine Peaks to get back down for the beginners. Lot's of nice blue runs on Sunshine Peak. The good thing is if you want to ski black and others want to ski blue or green as you say there are some close to each other and you can meet up at the end of the run to catch the lift back up. Some of the best powder I've ever skied is there. The ski school there is excellent or at least it was years ago when I used it. If anyone needs rentals try One Stop Ski Shop in town. Nice little shop. The resort is a mile or so out of town but there are busses but sometimes they take a while. TONS of good restaurants. Just ask where the locals eat. My favorite is 8th Street Steakhouse in town. It's one of those where you have to cook your own steak. Mahogany's Brewery and Grill is also in town and a good bar. In the resort area is Cafe' Diva's. Anybody that doesn't want to ski or take a day off from it there is a hot springs there, sleigh rides and dog sledding. The coldest I have ever been in my life was on a evening sleigh ride in Steamboat! Enjoy!

Much appreciated!  Am considering taking a day off or a half day considering 6 days in a row of skiing could be a bit of a beating.  the hot spring would be very nice.  That's the second time i've heard the powder great so looking forward to that.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Inhogswetrust

January 22, 2014, 05:39:04 pm #3 Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:41:16 am by Inhogswetrust
You're welcome. Also don't forget to get over to the back part called Morningside Park. I've skied about 20 different ski areas and Steamboat is one of my top 5 if not top 3. The one's I like the best I've done many times including Steamboat. You will have a great time!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Huckleberry Pig

Well dislocated my shoulder on day 1 haha... prob going day 3 speed on day one, caught an ice patch and landed on it just wrong.  Was at the top of the mountain, couldn't find anyone so just skied down with it dangling - that was fun.  Having the doc pop it back in was fun too lol got a cool X-ray to show for it though, will post it when I get near a comp

Lets just say it was the best place it could have happened though with the recently recreational legalization of a certain plant :)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 26, 2014, 08:25:35 pm
Well dislocated my shoulder on day 1 haha... prob going day 3 speed on day one, caught an ice patch and landed on it just wrong.  Was at the top of the mountain, couldn't find anyone so just skied down with it dangling - that was fun.  Having the doc pop it back in was fun too lol got a cool X-ray to show for it though, will post it when I get near a comp

Lets just say it was the best place it could have happened though with the recently recreational legalization of a certain plant :)

Wow. Sorry about that! Haven't been to CO since the law changed so now I'll have to go!

DeltaBoy

Glad your alright and Steamboat is a great place according to some of our richer friends who love sking.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 28, 2014, 09:30:27 am
Glad your alright and Steamboat is a great place according to some of our richer friends who love sking.

We love to ski. We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Solid middle class. It is like a lot of other "hobbies" and you have to pay for it but you don't have to be rich. You obviously can't be poor though but that's true of a LOT of hobbies. I have three "hobbies" Razorback Football season tickets, Skiing and wine tastings trips that I am willing to pay for and have to sacrifice other things I think I would enjoy to do them. I've actually not skied in a couple of years due to my wife haven't a little health issue that prevents her from doing so right now. I have family members that all they do is hunt, fish and shoot. They go to the lake and water ski and they spend just as much on those as I do on my three. Others I know go to the beach and spend as much. Others play golf. I promise you my sister spends as much on her scrapbooking "hobby" as I do on any one of mine. I will say I'm fortunate enough to have family in San Jose so we can combine visits to them with some wine country travel.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 28, 2014, 01:06:18 pm
We love to ski. We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Solid middle class. It is like a lot of other "hobbies" and you have to pay for it but you don't have to be rich. You obviously can't be poor though but that's true of a LOT of hobbies. I have three "hobbies" Razorback Football season tickets, Skiing and wine tastings trips that I am willing to pay for and have to sacrifice other things I think I would enjoy to do them. I've actually not skied in a couple of years due to my wife haven't a little health issue that prevents her from doing so right now. I have family members that all they do is hunt, fish and shoot. They go to the lake and water ski and they spend just as much on those as I do on my three. Others I know go to the beach and spend as much. Others play golf. I promise you my sister spends as much on her scrapbooking "hobby" as I do on any one of mine. I will say I'm fortunate enough to have family in San Jose so we can combine visits to them with some wine country travel.

Have you ever taken the Wine Train out of Napa?  My wife and I have been to Napa/Sonoma twice and we've talked about taking the train but haven't done it yet.  Both times we went, we stayed in Calistoga at a B&B called the Pink Mansion.  Last time we were there I got drunker 'n a skunk. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 28, 2014, 01:20:58 pm
Have you ever taken the Wine Train out of Napa?  My wife and I have been to Napa/Sonoma twice and we've talked about taking the train but haven't done it yet.  Both times we went, we stayed in Calistoga at a B&B called the Pink Mansion.  Last time we were there I got drunker 'n a skunk. 

We've been to Sonoma and Napa several times but never took the train. We have talked about it and would like to. If you want to do a nice tour and it be less expensive try Santa Ynez Valley. Lot's of nice places around Los Olivos. Good wine. You can stay in Lompoc and get a really good hotel room at the Embassy Suites and it isn't far to drive. PM me if you go back anytime and I'll give you a list of our favorite places there as well as Sonoma and Napa. When we go to Sonoma/Napa we stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Santa Rosa as I am friends with the Manager there since I'm also in the hotel business. There are also some nice wineries south of San Francisco just outside of San Jose. We go to those all the time since they are so close to our family. No hotel or restaurant cost for us when we do that!

Huckleberry Pig

Good news, no surgery needed and was able to ski today with a fancy brace.  Im 26 and They say I have about a 50% chance of popping it out again at my age.  odd that the younger you are the more likely you are to pop it back out.  Said 20 year olds will pop it back at almost 100%.

So far this had been my favorite mountain/ski town iv been to.  Wish I could see more of the mountain (blacks) but with the shoulder I'm pretty limited now.  Did mostly all blues today but was able to squeeze in a black called Rolex.  No moguls though!

Btw have utilized some of the recommendations and they have been great!

Thank y'all! Btw inhogs, we would be good friends.  Three of my favorite things are razorback football, skiing, and wine.  Great minds...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 28, 2014, 08:21:22 pm
Good news, no surgery needed and was able to ski today with a fancy brace.  Im 26 and They say I have about a 50% chance of popping it out again at my age.  odd that the younger you are the more likely you are to pop it back out.  Said 20 year olds will pop it back at almost 100%.

So far this had been my favorite mountain/ski town iv been to.  Wish I could see more of the mountain (blacks) but with the shoulder I'm pretty limited now.  Did mostly all blues today but was able to squeeze in a black called Rolex.  No moguls though!

Thank y'all! Btw inhogs, we would be good friends.  Three of my favorite things are razorback football, skiing, and wine.  Great minds...

Great news. Have a good time.! P.M. me sometime or if you go to football games you're welcome to come by our tailgate.

Huckleberry Pig

here's the pic of the xray:

inhogs, I always go to the first game of the year and then try to go to a second one at some point during the season.  I will also be going up in May for a baseball game - I'll PM ya

btw - think steamboat may be my favorite ski mountain of all time - got 8" of fresh powder on the last day, was amazing.  Had never skied in powder that nice.  Was really champagne powder.  The GF was a new skier and didn't care for it but I was as giddy as a 6th grader undoing a girls bra

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 31, 2014, 09:18:26 pm
here's the pic of the xray:

inhogs, I always go to the first game of the year and then try to go to a second one at some point during the season.  I will also be going up in May for a baseball game - I'll PM ya

btw - think steamboat may be my favorite ski mountain of all time - got 8" of fresh powder on the last day, was amazing.  Had never skied in powder that nice.  Was really champagne powder.  The GF was a new skier and didn't care for it but I was as giddy as a 6th grader undoing a girls bra

OUCH! Looks painful. Let me know about the games.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 28, 2014, 08:21:22 pm

I feel for ya pard.....    Last time I was skiing at Crested Butte, I did a black and tore my left calf muscle in half.....  Ended my skiing after 2nd day.   Be careful & travel safe....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

wachhog

Love Steamboat.  Been for a week for 14 years.  Three years ago, I caught an edge at the top of Upper Rainbow, and slid all the way to the bottom head first, where I was stopped by a chunk of ice.  Cracked my helmet and was out 7 minutes, according to ski patrol.The neurologist at the hospital was great.  Suffered no long term consequences, just was not allowed back on skis for the rest of that season.
My favorite run is Buddy's , dumping into Tornado Lane.  Hope you skied  that one.  A long, wide, cruising blue.
Town is great, with some super restaurants. Makes me want to be in Steamboat right now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: wachhog on February 02, 2014, 08:25:49 pm
Love Steamboat.  Been for a week for 14 years.  Three years ago, I caught an edge at the top of Upper Rainbow, and slid all the way to the bottom head first, where I was stopped by a chunk of ice.  Cracked my helmet and was out 7 minutes, according to ski patrol.The neurologist at the hospital was great.  Suffered no long term consequences, just was not allowed back on skis for the rest of that season.
My favorite run is Buddy's , dumping into Tornado Lane.  Hope you skied  that one.  A long, wide, cruising blue.
Town is great, with some super restaurants. Makes me want to be in Steamboat right now.

Rainbow and Buddy's are nice runs.

Huckleberry Pig

Would like to plan a summer trip up there