Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honeymooning in Jackson Hole

Started by Prestworthy, November 20, 2013, 11:46:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Who has been and what should we do when we aren't skiing?

Murr

titanhawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 20, 2013, 11:46:56 pm

I can think of one thing you should be doing while you're not skiing... :-)

I've been there several times...but always in warm weather months.

I would check into snowmobiling.  I think you can even snowmobile over in Yellowstone...which would be cool with all of the geysers and hot steam.

Dog sledding is an amazing thing to do.  I did it up in the Canadian Rockies...and they do it in JH.  You'll never forget it.  The dogs are incredible and they live to pull the sled.

They have guided winter tours and snowcoaches which will help you see some of the winter wildlife.

They have snowshoeing...sleigh rides (which are pretty romantic)...

Also...the two of you could enjoy a spa day...which would also be romantic.

(yes...I'm female...so I know these kinds of things :-)

go hogues

Seriously, OP? ;)

The snowmobiling in YNP can be fun but don't get suckered into a full day of it. Did that one time and it was miserable. (90+ miles in a blinding blizzard with sub freezing temps)
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Razorfox

Love Jackson Hole. You can visit downtown obviously, which has good food and shops. Also the wildlife museum is nice. And if you like animals, the National Elk Refuge is very cool assuming they are there when you're going. You should go to Yellowstone too since you're that close.

cypert2

Yellowstone is a great place in the summer. Don't know about the winter.
Swinging on the two and the four.

hogfanfish

Lived there for two winters...I love that place!

Nora's Fish Creek Inn for breakfast over in Wilson, which on the way from Jackson to the ski area.

The Mangy Moose Saloon for live music at night.  It is also out in the ski area.

Steef

Do romantic cheesy stuff that SHE will remember and cherish. Take pictures everywhere you go.

Every anniversary, you will thank yourself.

Athog

If you are honeymooning you need to ask what should we do!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Drive over to Absaroka County and say hello to Sheriff Longmire and his deputies.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

Pretty place from what I have been told.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Athog on November 21, 2013, 07:51:48 am
If you are honeymooning you need to ask what should we do!!
We've actually been married for a few weeks now, so we've gotten a lot of (IT) :)

We wanted to wait until snow fell to go on honeymoon.  Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. 

superior_wang

snowmobiling is  fun, but not if its frigid..... mangy moose... great place...

RedyorNot

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 21, 2013, 07:53:48 am
Drive over to Absaroka County and say hello to Sheriff Longmire and his deputies.

LOVE that show!

razorbackkid

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 21, 2013, 07:53:48 am
+1
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

wupigsuey

Hmmm..what to do on my honeymoon...hmmmm
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

PEtrader

My fiancee is from Jackson.  During these months I would say the scenery, downtown, food, and snowshoeing. 

Skiing/snowboarding though is my fav.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Bubba's Bruisers

Been in the summer.  Great area.  Should go to Yellowstone, but wasn't worth more than a day and half to me...it's a huge park.  I preferred the Tetons right there in JH.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

superior_wang

Quote from: razorbackid on November 21, 2013, 12:20:09 pm
I'll stick to water skiing......:)

amen to that.... one thing the dept of tourism doesnt show ya  about visiting CO or WY or wherever to ski.. is that LOTS of folks die up on them hills... seems like every couple weeks idk...

razorbackkid

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2013, 12:30:14 pm
Been in the summer.  Great area.  Should go to Yellowstone, but wasn't worth more than a day and half to me...it's a huge park.  I preferred the Tetons right there in JH.
Driving over to Little Big Horn isn't that bad....beautiful country.

PorkSoda

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 12:30:47 pm
amen to that.... one thing the dept of tourism doesnt show ya  about visiting CO or WY or wherever to ski.. is that LOTS of folks die up on them hills... seems like every couple weeks idk...
no doubt and its not just tourists.  one or two long time local skiers die every year too.

its really not that bad though.  I got to the point in Tahoe where I warmed up on double black diamond runs.  you eventually become numb to the fact that flying down the side of a mountain weaving in and out of trees strapped to a stick and one wrong move could kill you.

All_Hogs

Yellowstone.  Jenny Lake.  Jackson Lake Lodge lobby.  Walk out to Snake River.  Antelope flats may have wildlife. 

Biggus Piggus

If you don't know that already, I can't help you.
[CENSORED]!

OLDHOG

Only one bit of advice. DONT DO IT!

LR Hog

Snake River Brewing Co. for good beer and good food, Dornan's in Moose (Cold Beer, Good Pizza and Awesome View of the Tetons), Sweetwater Grill for a great dinner.
Like a boss.

McHogLovin

Quote from: steefhog on November 21, 2013, 07:04:34 am
Do romantic cheesy stuff that SHE will remember and cherish. Take pictures everywhere you go.

Every anniversary, you will thank yourself.

THIS^  What you do now could get you some serious slack down the road.  This applies to every anniversary, birthday, and Valentine's.  Take care of these days and you should be fine.  Otherwise she'll be in your ear so much the rest of the year you will wish you had.  Been married 9 years and I've missed a couple of these and didn't hear the end of it til the following year when I had to double my efforts. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 21, 2013, 11:43:26 am
LOVE that show!

Welcome to jump in our thread in the Tavern (Movies/Music/Books).
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hobhog

Did ya hear what the Aggie said when he got back from his honeymoon?

"I think I could have screwed her...."

superior_wang

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2013, 12:52:21 pm
no doubt and its not just tourists.  one or two long time local skiers die every year too.

its really not that bad though.  I got to the point in Tahoe where I warmed up on double black diamond runs.  you eventually become numb to the fact that flying down the side of a mountain weaving in and out of trees strapped to a stick and one wrong move could kill you.

wel in my case.. i dont thin k i can get killed on the blues and bunny slopes.. but i can sure beat the hell outa myself!

PorkSoda

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 05:04:29 pm

wel in my case.. i dont thin k i can get killed on the blues and bunny slopes.. but i can sure beat the hell outa myself!
don't be so sure.  on an icy day you can pick up some serious speed on a blue.   I guy who had skied heavenly for 30+ years went off a blue on an icy day.  when they found him he was literally embedded in the tree.  I know I've easily pushed 45-50 mph on a long blue run, maybe more.

and yeah, I beat the hell out of my self too.  I learned to snowboard on ice in NM.  I also thought I was invincible.  I spent my first few years (6 hours a day 3 days a week) going straight down as fast as I possibly could until I wiped out.  get up and do it again.  when I moved to tahoe, I discovered there was this think called powder.  it was so much nicer than ice

superior_wang

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2013, 05:11:02 pm
don't be so sure.  on an icy day you can pick up some serious speed on a blue.   I guy who had skied heavenly for 30+ years went off a blue on an icy day.  when they found him he was literally embedded in the tree.  I know I've easily pushed 45-50 mph on a long blue run, maybe more.
ha....  ill have to show you how to ride the brakes like i do then.. top speed 15 mph!...  not to mention u can be the best skier in the world and some drunk  guy can plow u over ....that happens alot as well

PorkSoda

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 05:14:42 pm
ha....  ill have to show you how to ride the brakes like i do then.. top speed 15 mph!...  not to mention u can be the best skier in the world and some drunk  guy can plow u over ....that happens alot as well
yeah, I had to slow down once I hit a few people.  damn skiers always getting in my way.  plus once I got good enough to do black diamonds, I pretty much stayed in the trees.  at least trees don't move.

superior_wang

ill say this.. if the young man is in jackson tonight.. he best be huddled up with the mrs cuz its supposed to be 10 in  my area... so i reckon thats around 0 or -0 up in jackson.

PorkSoda

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 05:18:21 pm
ill say this.. if the young man is in jackson tonight.. he best be huddled up with the mrs cuz its supposed to be 10 in  my area... so i reckon thats around 0 or -0 up in jackson.
its times like this I am glad I moved to hawaii.  after over a decade of long winters, I'm due some long summers.  I do miss the slopes every now and then though.

superior_wang

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2013, 05:20:53 pm
its times like this I am glad I moved to hawaii.  after over a decade of long winters, I'm due some long summers.  I do miss the slopes every now and then though.

i hear ya... my mother in law lives  on oahu.... i sure like seeing her twice a year lol...!

Prestworthy

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 05:18:21 pm
We actually leave Tuesday. I skied in -9 degree weather in Park City, UT once.

95_alum

As LR Hog mentioned, Snake River Brewery. If you got a few hours to spare, check out the National Museum of Wildlife Art.
Pics!

ldfergu

Gotta see the Tetons
Yellowstone is 2hrs north
Million dollar cowboy bar in JH
Pinky g's pizza is awesome late night
Snake river brewery
Trout fish anywhere

PorkSoda

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 21, 2013, 06:04:49 pm
Trout fish anywhere
ha ha, that'll go over well with the misses, especially during the winter.

Murr

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2013, 12:09:31 pm

If I ever envisioned dieing at Jackson Hole, that is how I would expect to go...

HuntsvilleHawgFan

All the advice to see Yellowstone and Jenny Lake would be great for summer visits, but you can not drive to those places in the winter.  Going north, you can only go to Flagg Ranch, about a mile south of the Yellowstone entrance.  Can only snowmobile or take the snow coach into Yellowstone from the south entrance. 

All park roads in Teton National Park are closed except a short section from Moose Junction to a cross county ski trailhead and a short section from the north to Coulter Bay.   There are great vistas along the main highway north, but forget about walking anywhere outside of the Village and the town of Jackson, you either Cross Country ski, snowshoe, or look from the road, walking anywhere is not a practical option.  The road to Kelly and the Teton Science School is open and is a great place to see wildlife, especially moose and deer.

If skiing is your main objective, if you have the time and transportation, give Grand Targee a try.  It is on the west side of the Tetons in Idaho.  I think the snow is consistently better on the west side and the crowds are not nearly as bad, the trade off is there is no Teton Village and not much of an après Ski experience, but the skiing is great. 

A sleigh ride on the elk refuge is a must if you are into wildlife at all, but try to pick a good weather day to do it.  You can also drive on the backside of the elk refuge and almost always see big horn sheep, you can get directions from the visitors center where you get sleigh ride tickets.

Enjoy your trip, I hope to be back out there in about a month.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: superior_wang on November 21, 2013, 05:14:42 pm

That's why we stated wearing helmets years ago! It's kind of like wearing a seatbelt because of the other crazies on the road!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi