Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headed to Phoenix......need suggestions....

Started by DOGALUM, August 12, 2013, 03:33:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

The wife has a work meeting in Phoenix in the middle of February 2014. 

She asked me to go with her.  I told her no.  Then....knowing me as well as she does....she told me if I would go with her we could drive out there and back and make a road trip out of it.  (of course I agreed.....I'm a sucker for seeing the country on the road and she knows it) The work meeting is for 5 days.....Saturday through Wednesday.

Question is this.......before I research the trip and route.....give me some suggestions on what to see on the way there/back. (I'm driving from NWA)   Doesn't have to be  right on the route there.  I've never been that way  via the road.  Only flown through at night.  It will be in the middle of February and off-road is an option as we are taking the Jeep.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Scrambled Hog

I was thinking what a boring trip you have ahead of you, until I got to the part about possibly going off-road in the jeep.  Plenty of options in AZ and NM to see some interesting terrain once you get off of I-40... throw that on jeepforum.com and you'll get plenty of feedback.

What kind of jeep... here's my baby:

If you look close you can notice the powder-coated Razorback hitch insert on the front... gotta represent.   ;)

DOGALUM

Love your rig.   

Ours is an Unlimited Rubicon.   

I know what you mean by boring trip....but I have grown to really enjoy road trips.  Especially to places that I've never seen.  Will post in some Jeep forums and get some ideas.  Great suggestion

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hogsooey

Grand Canyon and Flagstaff, AZ (beautiful mountain town - sure to be snow there then) aren't too much of a detour. Just keep following I 40 a little longer than you normally would. The drive down I 17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix is pretty. I haven't driven it in the winter, though, so not sure how hazardous it is. Petrified Forest National Park is on the way, but I've never stopped there so I can't say how it is.

HawgWild

If you're headed up to the Grand Canyon then you need to make time for Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.

Jackrabbit Hog

Sedona is beautiful.  Take time to stop in the town and do some sightseeing there.  Also, in New Mexico there is a fairly large area with an old volcanic peak and all the rocks around for about 50 square miles are black volcanic rocks.  Pretty cool.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DOGALUM

Great ideas fellas.   I will put together a solid plan as the trip gets closer.

Scrambler....sorry I put a sideways pic on here.

Took my son through some mud and creeks this past Saturday.   Here is a better pic of the rig.

Scrambled Hog

DLUXHOG

try.. painted desert...

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)