Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for actual input, not some brochure BS

Started by Atreyu, August 10, 2013, 07:22:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atreyu

Good evening everyone. Right to the chase, I'm separating from the military in a couple years after living a very high speed lifestyle for the past 5. Long story short, I'm looking to come home to the beautiful state of Arkansas, somewhere in the mountains and not over in disgusting Blytheville. I'm looking for some input from the people that live in northwest Arkansas concerning:

Job opportunities: looking to get into law enforcement, but anything that pays decently is ok by me.
Schools: I have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school, and I want her in a good school system.
Social life: I'm divorced, so somewhere to meet a nice girl would be awesome too.
All I really want is a rocking chair on a porch somewhere, and to go camping every now and then, somewhere my daughter can grow up around good people with good values. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Atreyu on August 10, 2013, 07:22:58 pm
Good evening everyone. Right to the chase, I'm separating from the military in a couple years after living a very high speed lifestyle for the past 5. Long story short, I'm looking to come home to the beautiful state of Arkansas, somewhere in the mountains and not over in disgusting Blytheville. I'm looking for some input from the people that live in northwest Arkansas concerning:

Job opportunities: looking to get into law enforcement, but anything that pays decently is ok by me.
Schools: I have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school, and I want her in a good school system.
Social life: I'm divorced, so somewhere to meet a nice girl would be awesome too.
All I really want is a rocking chair on a porch somewhere, and to go camping every now and then, somewhere my daughter can grow up around good people with good values. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you.

2 words.  Priaire Grove.  It has one of the best school systems in the state.  Small town feel.  I live 15 minutes from Razorback Stadium.  Houses are cheaper out here than in Farmington so you get more house for your buck.  It seems like half of my neighbors are Washington Co. Deputy sheriffs so law enforcement lives out here quite a bit.

I've lived all over the state and out of state and this is my favorite place I've ever lived and I'm never moving til they take my cold dead body down to Paris Arkansas to bury me next to my ancestors.

The only thing is there isn't just a glut of single women here in town...there are a few, but there are tons in NWA.  You are living in a bedroom community of Fayetteville and NWA.

http://www.usa.com/school-district-0511760.htm
Retired Radio Host

Boarcephus

Get in contact with the VA in Fayetteville.  They've had a change in hiring policies and they better have darn good reason if they hire a non veteran over a veteran who is qualified for the same position.  If you check the website is USAJOBS.gov. you can find out what jobs are available.

If you can find a better place to live than Fayetteville, move there. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Atreyu

Thank you both! I will be looking into both of your suggestions.
HEYHEYHEY

tomahawkhog

Walmart is making a push to hire veterans. That may be something to check into.
Go Hogs!

Ugly Uncle

You won't find a better home town than the one I live in now.  Love it.
Retired Radio Host

Atreyu

Suppose someone that was interested in moving there Had in their possession several large mag, automatic weapons...would said person be harassed, or allowed to shoot them at a range? They are all registered and licensed.

Hypothetical, of course.
HEYHEYHEY

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Atreyu on August 11, 2013, 07:43:37 am
Suppose someone that was interested in moving there Had in their possession several large mag, automatic weapons...would said person be harassed, or allowed to shoot them at a range? They are all registered and licensed.

Hypothetical, of course.

Dude, in NWA, you'd be looked at as a weirdo if you didn't (hypothetically) have the items you mentioned.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on August 11, 2013, 08:01:50 pm
Dude, in NWA, you'd be looked at as a weirdo if you didn't (hypothetically) have the items you mentioned.

Automatic weapons won't fly at the range in Tontitown.  You start popping of rounds at greater than one round a second you'll have visitors. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Atreyu on August 11, 2013, 07:43:37 am

Hypothetical, of course.

There is a nice little range between my house and Lincoln.  Plus, lots of woods.  As Nate said everyone out here has those kind of weapons...hypothetically.
Retired Radio Host

Atreyu

I have a feeling you and I will be friends one day, Mr carpenter.
HEYHEYHEY

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Atreyu on August 11, 2013, 09:03:11 pm
I have a feeling you and I will be friends one day, Mr carpenter.

I hope so, I'm looking forward to it.
Retired Radio Host

SuckingSow

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 11, 2013, 08:57:11 pm
There is a nice little range between my house and Lincoln.  Plus, lots of woods.  As Nate said everyone out here has those kind of weapons...hypothetically.

UU, where might this range be?  I live in the Farmington area and would be very interested in a closer range to visit. I've been going to Hobbs, which is quite a drive from my house. Thanks in advance for the info.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: SuckingSow on August 24, 2013, 03:01:45 pm
UU, where might this range be?  I live in the Farmington area and would be very interested in a closer range to visit. I've been going to Hobbs, which is quite a drive from my house. Thanks in advance for the info.

Keep going out 62 through Priairie Grove towards Lincoln.  If you pass the giant Chicken you've gone too far.
Retired Radio Host

DLUXHOG

Jobs???  NWA is home to the world's largest employer and world's largest retail company (Walmart), home to largest trucking company in the US, and home of largest chicken exporter In the world.   Yes, there should be a few jobs available.   

Smart, Good choice on moving to NWA, one of, if not the, most beautiful places on the planet (IMHO)... I hope to be back there myself in the future....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)