Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

257 weatherby

Started by PharmacistHog, July 07, 2016, 02:39:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

Anybody have any opinions?  I dont reload so ammo is high but I dont care about that. Likes, dislikes, any info to share?
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

TuffTusk

Hits hard, shoots flat, recoil is barely an issue, and is inherently accurate.  120gr partition is the all around best bullet in 257...IMO.  115gr is next.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

kodiakisland

All depends on what you want to do with it.  For the extra cost in ammo, it really doesn't deliver that much more than the 25-06.  I'm a huge fan of the 25s and have quite a few, but they lack high BC bullets to be true long range rounds.  The weatherby needs a 26 inch barrel to take advantage of it's potential and 28 inches wouldn't hurt.  A good bullet like the 100gr TTSX or 110gr Accubond will kill anything from elk down.  Less recoil than a 7mm mag.  It's a great round if that's what you want.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 07, 2016, 01:21:21 pm
All depends on what you want to do with it.  For the extra cost in ammo, it really doesn't deliver that much more than the 25-06.  I'm a huge fan of the 25s and have quite a few, but they lack high BC bullets to be true long range rounds.  The weatherby needs a 26 inch barrel to take advantage of it's potential and 28 inches wouldn't hurt.  A good bullet like the 100gr TTSX or 110gr Accubond will kill anything from elk down.  Less recoil than a 7mm mag.  It's a great round if that's what you want.

Happened upon a pretty good deal on one.   Went ahead and bought it.  I have a 25-06 already.  I think one of my boys has his eye on it when he gets a little taller. 
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

kodiakisland

Details man.  What rifle is it?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 07, 2016, 07:21:31 pm
Details man.  What rifle is it?

Gotta take a raincheck. I was out of town, my cousin named price and I gave him what I had on me. I'll go get it in few weeks. I THINK its a mark v. Has a nikon buckmaster on it and he gave me box and a half of shells for it. I'll post pics when I bring it home. Goin down there fishin in a few weeks.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Hope it is a Mark V.  It will have at least a 26 inch barrel and I'm sure it will be a good shooter.  Enjoy

PharmacistHog

I'll post pics when I get it.
Millennials suck...

tangman

I have a Mark V Accumark and really like it. It's a little heavy compared to a lot of rifles, but I'm still young enough to not notice it on long hikes, and it makes the recoil less than my 30-06's. I take it out west for deer/antelope. 3" high at 100 yards will get you about 8" low at 400. Just put the crosshairs on the back. I have a Leupold Mark 3 4.5-14 on it, and shoot 120 gr. factory ammo. Enjoy

PharmacistHog

Quote from: tangman on July 11, 2016, 07:15:33 pm
I have a Mark V Accumark and really like it. It's a little heavy compared to a lot of rifles, but I'm still young enough to not notice it on long hikes, and it makes the recoil less than my 30-06's. I take it out west for deer/antelope. 3" high at 100 yards will get you about 8" low at 400. Just put the crosshairs on the back. I have a Leupold Mark 3 4.5-14 on it, and shoot 120 gr. factory ammo. Enjoy

Ive got a mark v 300 and as much overkill as it is I LOVE it. It just shoots great and feels good. i dont really need this 257 but I just WANT it. Ive got a browning bar 25-06 and a winchester 270wsm and Ive never even shot either. Just one of those deals where somebody needed to sell them so I bought em. I dont know if the 257 will be much different than either of those but it just feels better to me when I hold it. Not to mention with 3 young boys I'll have plenty to hand down.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Well, If we only shot what was required for deer, no one would shoot anything over a .243.  I absolutely love my 280AI, even though my 7-08 will do everything it will with less recoil and noise.  Sometimes you want something just because you want it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 08:14:37 pm
Well, If we only shot what was required for deer, no one would shoot anything over a .243.  I absolutely love my 280AI, even though my 7-08 will do everything it will with less recoil and noise.  Sometimes you want something just because you want it.

Is the 280 your kimber?
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Yes.  I also have a 7mmSUAM, so I really don't know why I have the 280AI other than I wanted one.  Someday when I draw a bighorn sheep tag that's what I will use.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 08:38:40 pm
Yes.  I also have a 7mmSUAM, so I really don't know why I have the 280AI other than I wanted one.  Someday when I draw a bighorn sheep tag that's what I will use.

Some day I'm gonna buy a custom built rifle. Just because I want one.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 11, 2016, 08:51:55 pm
Some day I'm gonna buy a custom built rifle. Just because I want one.

These days there are so many good semi-custom that it makes it easy.  I really like my cooper.  Great wood, perfect hand cut checkering, and accuracy you would expect.  My next will probably be a Nosler rifle.  I talked to Kilimanjaro about building a rifle for my daughter on a Kimber action, but in the end it was just too much to do.  Kimber select grades and super Americas are really nice for a non custom rifle.  I've been tempted by a Luxus a few times and may end up with one someday.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 08:57:22 pm
These days there are so many good semi-custom that it makes it easy.  I really like my cooper.  Great wood, perfect hand cut checkering, and accuracy you would expect.  My next will probably be a Nosler rifle.  I talked to Kilimanjaro about building a rifle for my daughter on a Kimber action, but in the end it was just too much to do.  Kimber select grades and super Americas are really nice for a non custom rifle.  I've been tempted by a Luxus a few times and may end up with one someday.

Have you ever had any factory guns customized with a new barrel or anything major like that? 
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Yes, I had Rifle Inc build a 358STA on a M70 action with a Shilen barrel and McMillan stock.  I've got three rifles that Mark Chanlynn built with his barrels and McMillan stocks on Remington actions. 

PharmacistHog

I just checked out a few of those nosler rifles. Those look awesome!
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

For the money Nosler and Cooper are hard to beat.  They have quite a few options you can get without paying for a true custom but still allow you to get a fairly unique rifle. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 09:10:39 pm
For the money Nosler and Cooper are hard to beat.  They have quite a few options you can get without paying for a true custom but still allow you to get a fairly unique rifle. 

Considering the optics and mounts that come with them the prices arent bad at all.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Weatherby has a nice custom shop too, but prices go up pretty fast.

Boarslab

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 07, 2016, 02:39:13 am
Anybody have any opinions?  I dont reload so ammo is high but I dont care about that. Likes, dislikes, any info to share?
If you're going to hunt elk, moose, or big game this is a great gun and yes, the ammo is bad expensive.  I think the last box I bought was $50+.  It's a little overkill as someone said for deer--to old .270 with 130 gr. Remington Cor Loc is hard to beat.  Plus, those bullets are around $20 at Walmart.  Those Weatherby's are very well made guns though if you don't mind spending that money on bullets.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarslab on July 12, 2016, 04:33:24 pm
If you're going to hunt elk, moose, or big game this is a great gun and yes, the ammo is bad expensive.  I think the last box I bought was $50+.  It's a little overkill as someone said for deer--to old .270 with 130 gr. Remington Cor Loc is hard to beat.  Plus, those bullets are around $20 at Walmart.  Those Weatherby's are very well made guns though if you don't mind spending that money on bullets.

Like I said, its a "want", not a "need" (like most of the guns in my safe)
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 09:05:28 pm
Yes, I had Rifle Inc build a 358STA on a M70 action with a Shilen barrel and McMillan stock.  I've got three rifles that Mark Chanlynn built with his barrels and McMillan stocks on Remington actions. 

I have a rem model 700 7mm mag that i bought for 300 bucks. Guy had the barrel floated and a timney trigger put in it. I also have a winchester model 70 270 wsm but its pretty much stock. Thought of maybe having a custom barrel and accurizing one of them. Without sseing either do you have an opinion and if you would do it wich rifle you would choose?  The rem has a black synthetic stock and the winchester is the beautiful striped laminated wood.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

July 13, 2016, 01:42:27 am #24 Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:16:51 am by kodiakisland
Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2016, 09:57:09 pm
I have a rem model 700 7mm mag that i bought for 300 bucks. Guy had the barrel floated and a timney trigger put in it. I also have a winchester model 70 270 wsm but its pretty much stock. Thought of maybe having a custom barrel and accurizing one of them. Without sseing either do you have an opinion and if you would do it wich rifle you would choose?  The rem has a black synthetic stock and the winchester is the beautiful striped laminated wood.

All depends on what you are going after.  The Remington would be better for accuracy, and could be rechambered to anything with the same bolt face size.  Gives you a lot of latitude as that is almost every belted magnum and a lot of the newer non belted magnums.  The remingtons are easier to true up, are lighter, and usually produce better accuracy.

The M70 action is a little more problematic as it is made for the short, fat cartridges and has less options, although any of the SAUMs, WSMs, and RSMs.  It is a bit heavy and has acceptable accuracy for any type of hunting rifle build.

I'd probably look at replacing the stocks of either with something a bit more purpose driven.  I prefer McMillans due to the almost limitless number of options from design, weight, build, color, etc.  there are several good stock makers and a good, quality stock that fits your needs is a lot better than the cheap plastic crap that comes on most guns.

Picking a barrel manufacturer and gunsmith is another issue.  There are a lot of great barrel makers out there, but they all have their specialties.  I prefer cut rifled barrels that have been hand lapped prior to chambering.  I'm a bit picky when it comes to my gunsmith, but there are lots of good ones out there.  You just have to talk to them and ask how they prepare the action, barrels they normally use, type work they normally do, etc.  What you don't want is someone who just unscrews the factory barrel and screws in the new one.  Factory actions are pretty sloppy and need to be recut in several areas.  Ask what and how they do it.

What you end up with is really up to you.  You can make a lightweight hunting rifle, heavy weight target rifle, or something in between.  That's what I like about it.  I can have exactly what I want, not what a manufacturer decides to mass produce.  I get to pick my rate of twist, barrel contour, length, chamber throat, recoil lug, etc. to meet my needs.

If I was brand new to this and didn't already have an idea of who I would use for any of it, I'd send the gun to Pac-Nor and have them do the work.  They make great barrels, even though they are button rifled and not my preference.  They do quality work for a decent price.  They can give good advice on twist rates, contours, and specific chamberings.

Something else to think about, if you handload, you can get any chambering you want that will fit the action.  Even create your own wildcat.  You could even build the perfect weatherby, a 35-300WBY. 

PharmacistHog

Man thanks for all the info. Thats exactly the kinda stuff I want to know. I dont do a lot of just target shooting. I just want a REALLY accurate all purpose hunting rifle. I'm going to do some looking at pac-nor now. Thanks so much!  Im sure I'll have more questions shortly.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Yeah, let me know if you have any questions.  I probably don't know the answer but might know who to ask.

Back on the original topic, I noticed HSM loads the 115gr Berger VLD.  HSM loads very good ammo.  If you wanted to really stretch the legs of the .257, this load would probably be the best factory load to do it.  The 115gr Berger is one of the highest BC bullets you can get in .25 caliber.  Nosler loads the 115gr BT, which is almost as good.  Lots of great factory loads for the .257 that don't come from Weatherby.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 13, 2016, 08:07:37 pm
Yeah, let me know if you have any questions.  I probably don't know the answer but might know who to ask.

Back on the original topic, I noticed HSM loads the 115gr Berger VLD.  HSM loads very good ammo.  If you wanted to really stretch the legs of the .257, this load would probably be the best factory load to do it.  The 115gr Berger is one of the highest BC bullets you can get in .25 caliber.  Nosler loads the 115gr BT, which is almost as good.  Lots of great factory loads for the .257 that don't come from Weatherby.

Yeah, I've been looking, too.  I'm getting 2&1/2 boxes of weatherby ammo with it, so I'll try it out of course, but I've been looking at the Nosler ammo.  I haven't seen the Berger.  I'll check that out, too. 
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

What do you do with your WBY brass since you don't reload?  That stuff is expensive.  You could sell once fired brass to help pay for new ammo.  A lot of it is made by Norma and is excellent.

PharmacistHog

I have a cousin that reloads. He will usually make up some ammo for me but I dont think he's too good at it. I just mainly use it to practice with. I just dont trust it enough to chance wounding or missing a good deer. Ive probably got 60-70 rounds worth. But with my 300 i dont shoot it a lot. Usually a couple shots to make sure its on and usually one buck per season. I shoot does with some of my other rifles.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Im gonna build a shop next spring. Once I finish it I might look into getting started reloading.
Millennials suck...

Sivad

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 11, 2016, 08:14:37 pm
Sometimes you want something just because you want it.
Isn't that the truth. Especially with respect to firearms.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Sivad on July 28, 2016, 02:39:46 am
Isn't that the truth. Especially with respect to firearms.

Yeah.  I'm currently fighting the urge to get a 300 blackout.  I have absolutely no need for it, but just like the idea of a suppressed rifle for whatever.

PharmacistHog

Here ya go Kodiak, but I never can get a good picture of a gun it seems. 

Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Looks nice.  Wondering about year of production.  Late 80s or 90s maybe?  Doesn't have the look of the 70s WBYs.  Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Taking gun pictures is tough.  Kinda frustrating actually.  I can never get the lighting correct or the glare reduced enoughto show the grain.  This is a picture I took a week or so ago while working on a few of my guns.  I never could get all of them to look good in the same picture.

PharmacistHog

I think from serial number its late 90's. It hasnt been shot a lot. I'll be trying it out soon enough. I just ordered a new gun today. My oldest is turning 9 in september. He has taken a liking to my old beat to hell lever action henry 22 so Im getting him a youth model lever action henry 22. Like dads but a tad bit shorter. I cant wait to give it to him.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

I'm gonna try your trick for getting a pic of some of my favorites. I'll post them in this thread. You have some beauties. That one second from the right is beautiful.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

I hope he(or she) is as excited about the new gun as you are.  Hunting and shooting with my kids is one thing I have really enjoyed over the years.  Now that they are grown and out of the house, we still make time to shoot and hunt together.  My daughter loves shooting and hunting more than my son and gives me a hard time if we don't do some shooting whenever she is home.

kodiakisland

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 28, 2016, 10:23:35 pm
I'm gonna try your trick for getting a pic of some of my favorites. I'll post them in this thread. You have some beauties. That one second from the right is beautiful.

They all get hunted and have the scars to prove it.  I'm a traditionalist at heart and still prefer nice wood and blued steel to anything else.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 28, 2016, 10:28:14 pm
They all get hunted and have the scars to prove it.  I'm a traditionalist at heart and still prefer nice wood and blued steel to anything else.

Me too. I have friends that laugh at me for taking a few of mine hunting. "Thats too pretty to take out hunting". Crap!  Thats what they are for.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 28, 2016, 10:26:24 pm
I hope he(or she) is as excited about the new gun as you are.  Hunting and shooting with my kids is one thing I have really enjoyed over the years.  Now that they are grown and out of the house, we still make time to shoot and hunt together.  My daughter loves shooting and hunting more than my son and gives me a hard time if we don't do some shooting whenever she is home.

(He) will love it. I have 3 boys. 8,5, & 3 months. I have lots of good times ahead. My two oldest love going to the camp and hunting and riding wheelers and shooting. Heck even my new baby boy seems to prefer being outdide, even in this heat. I'm very blessed. I'm gonna start buying the oldest two a gun for every birthday and do the same when little man hits 6 years old.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Yeah, what do they think people did before plastic?  I still have several stainless/synthetic for certain hunts but much prefer a wood/blued rifle for most of my hunting.

kodiakisland

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 28, 2016, 10:35:56 pm
(He) will love it. I have 3 boys. 8,5, & 3 months. I have lots of good times ahead. My two oldest love going to the camp and hunting and riding wheelers and shooting. Heck even my new baby boy seems to prefer being outdide, even in this heat. I'm very blessed. I'm gonna start buying the oldest two a gun for every birthday and do the same when little man hits 6 years old.

I didn't buy many for mine, but I did try to get them something unique.  My daughter loves having a custom rifle in a caliber most guys her age have never heard of.  She can shoot too.  In fact, I don't take my son and daughter shooting together because it's hard on his ego.  We ran a boyfriend off one time when she out shot him at 400 yards. He stopped coming around after that.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 28, 2016, 10:39:03 pm
I didn't buy many for mine, but I did try to get them something unique.  My daughter loves having a custom rifle in a caliber most guys her age have never heard of.  She can shoot too.  In fact, I don't take my son and daughter shooting together because it's hard on his ego.  We ran a boyfriend off one time when she out shot him at 400 yards. He stopped coming around after that.

Thats awesome. I love that. I just think it will be a neat tradition for a little while anyway. Until they have a nice arsenal of different calibers and guns. I have all kinds and shoot most of them for one certain purpose or another. I may change my mind but for now Im gonna try it and see how it goes.
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

I think I had mentioned this ammo before, but this is the best long range load in factory form for the 257 if you plan on shooting deer way out there.  Usually this bullet requires a 9 twist barrel so I don't know how accurate it will be. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/915578/hsm-trophy-gold-ammunition-257-weatherby-magnum-115-grain-berger-hunting-vld-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

kodiakisland

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 28, 2016, 10:45:11 pm
Thats awesome. I love that. I just think it will be a neat tradition for a little while anyway. Until they have a nice arsenal of different calibers and guns. I have all kinds and shoot most of them for one certain purpose or another. I may change my mind but for now Im gonna try it and see how it goes.

I found after a while it started to be too many guns, if there is such a thing.  Both my kids had good 22 rifles and pistols, a good hunting rifle, and a good skeet/trap shotgun as well as special guns for their 21st birthday.  You have many enjoyable years ahead of you.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 28, 2016, 10:47:34 pm
I think I had mentioned this ammo before, but this is the best long range load in factory form for the 257 if you plan on shooting deer way out there.  Usually this bullet requires a 9 twist barrel so I don't know how accurate it will be. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/915578/hsm-trophy-gold-ammunition-257-weatherby-magnum-115-grain-berger-hunting-vld-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

I'll order a box tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Millennials suck...

kodiakisland

Even though those are 115gr bullets, they are not for woods hunting.  They are the highest BC bullet available in 25 caliber and are made especially for long range hunting.  I probably would not use them anywhere I expected shots to be under 200 yards.  If you do want to see what the 257 can do at really long ranges though, you won't find a better bullet.

I think Cabelas stocks those as well.

LSUFan

Caliber no matter.

Bullet placement matter.

Longest shot I ever hit was 429 yds.

Longest my dad ever hit (In the military) was 900 meters.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

kodiakisland

Quote from: LSUFan on July 28, 2016, 11:08:05 pm
Caliber no matter.

Bullet placement matter.

Longest shot I ever hit was 429 yds.

Longest my dad ever hit (In the military) was 900 meters.

That's all true as it's the guy (or gal) pulling the trigger that is the biggest factor, but the fun comes from having lots of different rifles to choose from.