Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - The Year that Was Not for Predicting College Football Games

Started by Robert Shields, December 15, 2014, 10:14:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

The Year that Was Not for Predicting College Football Games

Robert Shields

The Arkansas Razorbacks 6-6 finish was probably not a huge surprise as many had them picked to finish with that record including this scribe. The surprise for me came in how they got to 6-6.

I did not see this team reaching the six-win bowl eligibility plateau through the route of beating LSU and Ole Miss. The victory over LSU was one of the finer Razorback wins of this decade to snap that 17-game SEC losing streak. The fans stormed the field for only the third time in history at Fayetteville.

I expected the 6-6 record to have some very ugly losses in the mix. Although one could argue the Auburn and Georgia games might fit that category, I do not. In both games, the Razorbacks were up for the challenge and fought hard. After spotting Georgia 38 points, the Hogs rallied, and that simply would not have occurred in the previous two seasons. There was not a 52-0 beat down this year.

At the beginning of the season, I made light about Bo Mattingly on his radio show mentioning Martrell Spaight doing yoga as though it was going to help his play. Spaight finished the season as the SEC's leading tackler. He was a monster on the field, so if it was due to yoga, others on the team need to consider it.

Also at the beginning of the season, I posed the question as many did as to which area of the team would see the most improvement -- quarterback play or the defense. I guessed it would be the defense since it was wretched the last two seasons. But I have to admit that I never anticipated the defense improving as much as it did. The defense was the reason the team won six games.

I guaranteed a victory over LSU in my column the week before the game, but it was one of the few games that I had a feeling for this season.

If imitation is a the highest form of flattery, this is where my column takes a page out of the script of Razorback legendary writer Harry King, who writes a column once a year before the season starts about the college pick 'em pool that we play in.

The name of it is called Poolsville and roughly 150 participate in the game each year with people ranging from sports writers, previous Heisman voters, a seminarian, successful lawyers, my wife, and even someone undeserving as me.

The winner is awarded the prestigious Ramon Escobar Trophy and many would tell you they would easily trade the large monetary reward that comes with winning if they could just get the trophy. The award is named after a bruising running back who played for Holy Souls in the brutal Central Arkansas Parochial League.

Poolsville quirkily has crowned its own college football national championship named "Slabby" for more than a decade.  It's a 75-pound stone tablet that is offered to the winning school, which can keep Slabby for one year if it completes what is referred to as the Frank Broyles Feat of Strength.

The athletic director of the winning school has to carry Slabby 10 feet to its resting spot. Though no AD to this date as accepted the challenge, I have no doubt Frank Broyles even to this day would easily complete the task.

Three times I was on the wrong side of the national championship game that kept me from winning it all. In the 2005 season, I had USC over Texas.  I think my screaming "NO!" still reverberates around the universe when Vince Young danced into the end zone to beat the Trojans.

In the 2012, I had Notre Dame. I was spared the close game as Alabama destroyed the Irish. Last season, I picked Auburn like everyone in the pool. But had I picked Florida State, I would have carried home my own trophy. It's the reason many refer to the game as "Cruelsville."

This year I had one of my best starts ever in the game, but unfortunately the game is not a sprint – it's definitely a marathon. Slowly, the season slipped away from me as close game after close game I was on the wrong side of the outcome.

I watched Georgia lose to South Carolina by a chain link. Many learned from that game that the football does not have to touch the stick, but just clear the last link. The Bulldogs did not. I watched Clemson fumble its game away against Florida State and send the game into overtime (bonus points, ouch!).

I witnessed a ref call a pick foul on Notre Dame against Florida State and have never seen that foul called again the rest of the season. I witnessed a replay official wipe out a game-winning touchdown by Laquon Treadwell of Ole Miss against Auburn and decide it was a fumble.

A couple of weeks later, I watched a replay official reverse an Alabama fumble at the goal line against Mississippi State and make it a touchdown that ended up being the difference in the game. And I don't even need to mention the replay official reversals in the Razorback game against Missouri.

In every case and many other close games, I was on the wrong side. I finished the regular season with a dismal record.

Alas, year after year, I am reminded of my failure in Poolsville as a Ramon Escobar Trophy wearing a pink tulle skirt is prominently displayed on my mantle. And that trophy does not belong to me. It belongs to my wife, a past champion of Poolsville, who will never let me forget it.

Help me in the pool by sending your bowl pick suggestions to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Hollywood_HOGan45

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Dr. Starcs

Well, I guess you're not any better at writing articles or being a man of your word (i.e. Lubbock article) than picking games.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

PorkRinds

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Smokehouse

Short of a huge metaphor, that title has got to be the most ridiculous way to say "An Unpredictable Season" you could have gone with.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hogwild6700

I would be curious to know how many of you who come up with these creative ways of saying "Didn't Read" actually DID in fact read it.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogwild6700 on December 15, 2014, 12:15:34 pm
I would be curious to know how many of you who come up with these creative ways of saying "Didn't Read" actually DID in fact read it.

I open it for the "Didn't read, haha"'s
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwild6700 on December 15, 2014, 12:15:34 pm

Read a Robert Shields article once. It was Horrible. Won't ever again.

presidenthog

Has anyone ever considered that he calls it from the bench because his writing is clearly not starter quality? And so he is nothing more than a bench warmer in the column world?

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 15, 2014, 12:03:33 pm
you've finally worn me down... I can't make anymore fun of you...

Sure you can, gather some strength, go to V and R and re-read some of the terribly written ones, you'll come around........

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2014, 01:08:11 pm
Sure you can, gather some strength, go to V and R and re-read some of the terribly written ones, you'll come around........

You would actually ask someone to read a Robert Shields post? Isn't our society dumb enough already?

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2014, 01:15:19 pm
You would actually ask someone to read a Robert Shields post? Isn't our society dumb enough already?

Only to point out the inconsistencies, mistakes, and just plain gosh awful writing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: presidenthog on December 15, 2014, 01:06:39 pm
Has anyone ever considered that he calls it from the bench because his writing is clearly not starter quality? And so he is nothing more than a bench warmer in the column world?

He ought to call it from the Porta Potty...........................or even more appropriate "from the girls bathroom" (based on his so called best selling book that he constantly has to advertise at the bottom of his posts)
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

presidenthog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 15, 2014, 01:40:55 pm
He ought to call it from the Porta Potty...........................or even more appropriate "from the girls bathroom" (based on his so called best selling book that he constantly has to advertise at the bottom of his posts)
What is this book you speak of? He has a book?

Psychohog

Never smarten up a chump.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: presidenthog on December 15, 2014, 02:05:55 pm

Did you say something about a book............sorry I'm distracted by your avatar!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog1966

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: presidenthog on December 15, 2014, 01:06:39 pm

That's like calling the hot dog vendor a "back-up" for the secondary...

THANKS RICEPIG... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: presidenthog on December 15, 2014, 02:05:55 pm
His book SCARLET FEVER: A RAZORBACK HOUSE DIVIDED is on Amazon. It has 5 customer reviews with an average rating of one star. Folks don't seem to take kindly to reading RS after paying to do so.  :)
http://www.amazon.com/SCARLET-FEVER-RAZORBACK-HOUSE-DIVIDED/dp/0557295726/ref=la_B0040YW1IG_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418693928&sr=1-2

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

HogFanatic

I'm just glad to see that here it is almost Wednesday and this nonsense is still only about halfway through the first page.

I have never understood why people want to click on these threads just to point out the obvious fact that Robert Shields can't write worth a damn. I mean Jesus, all you gotta do is read that nonsensical thread title to see that the content is going to blow goats.

If people just wouldn't pay the dude any attention, they wouldn't have to worry about him posting here anymore. It is only promoted at all, or allowed at all, because it generates interest - whether that be positive OR negative. The guy clearly doesn't come here to discuss anything. He data-mines this place, and most likely other forums, and then regurgitates what he reads. Several of us do the same thing, but we don't try and pass it off as actual journalism. What's worse is the guy obviously has a bloated ego. Love the name dropping in this piece, Robert.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 15, 2014, 07:45:31 pm
His book SCARLET FEVER: A RAZORBACK HOUSE DIVIDED is on Amazon. It has 5 customer reviews with an average rating of one star. Folks don't seem to take kindly to reading RS after paying to do so.  :)
http://www.amazon.com/SCARLET-FEVER-RAZORBACK-HOUSE-DIVIDED/dp/0557295726/ref=la_B0040YW1IG_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418693928&sr=1-2

The best part is that he not only responded to the negative reviews, he responded with a cut-and-paste comment where he just switched the names out. Pro-tip: authors responded to negative reviews never results in the author looking better or people coming away with a better feeling about the book.

Also, I wasn't aware that posting on blogspot pages and Hogville made one a syndicated columnist. I better add that to my resume!
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Rey Pygsterio

I have not read "Scarlet Fever," but I did read "Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society." It is actually pretty good.

Some of you would be surprised to discover that Shields is not bad at fiction, though some would probably say that's what his columns are.

"Daphne" has some decent reviews on Goodreads.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

Robert Shields

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 17, 2014, 12:15:29 pm
The best part is that he not only responded to the negative reviews, he responded with a cut-and-paste comment where he just switched the names out. Pro-tip: authors responded to negative reviews never results in the author looking better or people coming away with a better feeling about the book.

Also, I wasn't aware that posting on blogspot pages and Hogville made one a syndicated columnist. I better add that to my resume!

I had to go back and read all the comments.  I will never know, but I think the negative comments actually helped me sell more books as it exposed it as a highly charged topic.  The book ended up reaching #2 in Amazon's best seller rank for its category.  I agree that in hindsight I should not have commented back to two of the responses although I don't have a problem with what I wrote to them.  I would still today have responded to B. Campbell who had not read the book.  I wrote another book titled Razorback Wrecks about the Bobby Petrino years, but never published it. But, I might.

As for being syndicated, I have been syndicated in papers around Arkansas for over 17 years.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 17, 2014, 02:07:38 pm
I had to go back and read all the comments.  I will never know, but I think the negative comments actually helped me sell more books as it exposed it as a highly charged topic.  The book ended up reaching #2 in Amazon's best seller rank for its category.  I agree that in hindsight I should not have commented back to two of the responses although I don't have a problem with what I wrote to them.  I would still today have responded to B. Campbell who had not read the book.  I wrote another book titled Razorback Wrecks about the Bobby Petrino years, but never published it. But, I might.

As for being syndicated, I have been syndicated in papers around Arkansas for over 17 years.

Smokehouse

My apologies, then, I've never encountered an article of yours off of blogpost or Hogville.

Inhogswetrust

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5,488,113 in Books

Based on this ranking. What obscure, out in outer space way, mind numbing, nobody cares about "category" is this a best seller in...................... Let me guess public toilet reading material!

jmb1973

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 17, 2014, 02:40:31 pm

Based on this ranking. What obscure, out in outer space way, mind numbing, nobody cares about "category" is this a best seller in…………………. Let me guess public toilet reading material!

The category was "Books we would like to use as kindling to set the author on fire"  Pretty competitive category.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 17, 2014, 02:29:23 pm
My apologies, then, I've never encountered an article of yours off of blogpost or Hogville.

That's because the circulation of the papers he is syndicated in can be counted on a combination of your fingers and toes........................

intelligence

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

HogFanatic

intelligence

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 16, 2014, 10:07:02 pmI mean Jesus, all you gotta do is read that nonsensical thread title to see that the content is going to blow goats.
I busted up laughing at this classic

Rey Pygsterio

Give the gift of Shields this Christmas by putting one of his books in the stocking of a loved one Christmas morning.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on December 17, 2014, 11:34:47 pm
Give the gift of Shields this Christmas by putting one of his books in the stocking of a loved one Christmas morning.
I asked, they said they'd prefer coal.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 17, 2014, 02:40:31 pm

Based on this ranking. What obscure, out in outer space way, mind numbing, nobody cares about "category" is this a best seller in...................... Let me guess public toilet reading material!

No. Public toilet wiping material category.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on December 17, 2014, 11:34:47 pm

Would make a great Gag Gift!

razorbackkid

I read every word Robert.  It was fun.  I like words because they look funny.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Chief on December 18, 2014, 05:23:05 am

No. Public toilet wiping material category.

True but in my family it was the same thing. When I was a young kid and had to use my Grandparents old home place with the outhouse you would read it before wiping with it.