Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach B pressers

Started by ldfergu, December 14, 2014, 10:58:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

Are really good. Many of them contain information that you would have never found out. Last week when asked about the season Darius Philon had, coach said that at one point he came into his office and quit. Obviously, coach talked him into staying and everything is peachy now.

I encourage you guys to listen to his pressers and media interviews. Always really good

HogsBalls

He's not Belicheck that's for sure.

FutureMan

Agreed. His presser's are really well done.  Informative, funny, and articulate.  Living in Oklahoma I hear a lot of Stoop's and Gundy's press conferences.  They are horrible in comparison.  They give you no information and they always seem very testy and combative.   
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

rude1

I agree he does do great pressers and interviews. What I am liking more is he seems to be learning to stay away from saying things that are going to lead to controversy. I really believe his first season here while it didn't break him or take away his confidence, it certainly seems to have humbled him.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: FutureMan on December 14, 2014, 11:40:04 am
Agreed. His presser's are really well done.  Informative, funny, and articulate.  Living in Oklahoma I hear a lot of Stoop's and Gundy's press conferences.  They are horrible in comparison.  They give you no information and they always seem very testy and combative.   

They've both been at their respective schools a good bit longer than Coach B has. If he's here a nice while longer he may become less talkative and/or more combative as well. He does give good press conferences, I agree.

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 14, 2014, 10:58:11 am
Are really good. Many of them contain information that you would have never found out. Last week when asked about the season Darius Philon had, coach said that at one point he came into his office and quit. Obviously, coach talked him into staying and everything is peachy now.

I encourage you guys to listen to his pressers and media interviews. Always really good

I wish the media would have a microphone so to hear all the questions easier.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on December 14, 2014, 01:38:35 pm

Or that CBB would briefly summarize the question. When he pauses for 20 seconds staring out at the gallery, then starts out something like, "He's a great  player and a valuable part of them team but he looks doubtful of the next two weeks at least after a piano moving accident over in the Fine Arts Building," I am screaming, "WHO IS IT?"  :o

I wish he would say "Question is about Lafayette Monroe, our walk on freshman receiver out of West Memphis. He's a great player and a valuable..."

But other than that, I love his press conferences. Far more than previous HCs.

ricepig

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 14, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
Or that CBB would briefly summarize the question. When he pauses for 20 seconds staring out at the gallery, then starts out something like, "He's a great  player and a valuable part of them team but he looks doubtful of the next two weeks at least after a piano moving accident over in the Fine Arts Building," I am screaming, "WHO IS IT?"  :o

I wish he would say "Question is about Lafayette Monroe, our walk on freshman receiver out of West Memphis. He's a great player and a valuable..."

I actually think he does a decent job of repeating, or at least clarifying the question, it sort of gives you an idea of what it was. Of course, hearing the question in the first place would take the guessing out of it.

Potosihog

I agree with both.  CBB does a great job.

In today's electronic world it is embarassing that we can't here the questions.  Spend $300 at radio shack and fix the stupid problem.  We have been griping about this on here for the last 5 years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Gundy's "I'm a man..!" presser will live on forever...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogwxld

Coach B's pressers are great.

Our media set up is amateurish tho. I watch other pressers around the SEC and they look high quality. Lighting is good, sound quality is great and you can hear both the question asked and the answer.

Even the backdrop for other SEC teams looks 10X better than ours..

Hope that piece gets fixed soon. We are quality in everything else, why not our pressers? You know other fans and coaches watch them..

Mike Irwin

The media has nothing to do with the way the press conferences are set up.
At times in the past the University has tried to use microphones pointed at the media so the audio on questions could be picked up but it didn't work very well. Most of the time the mic on the head coach would get distorted for a few seconds after he started answering the question. They figured you'd rather hear him than us so they stopped pointing mics at us.

I think they made the right call.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogwxld on December 14, 2014, 03:56:34 pm
Coach B's pressers are great.

Our media set up is amateurish tho. I watch other pressers around the SEC and they look high quality. Lighting is good, sound quality is great and you can hear both the question asked and the answer.

Even the backdrop for other SEC teams looks 10X better than ours..

Hope that piece gets fixed soon. We are quality in everything else, why not our pressers? You know other fans and coaches watch them..
How is this the media's fault? We don't do the set up for these press conferences. The school does. If it looks better at another school then they do a better job of setting it up. Seriously, do you think we have anything to do with a school's backdrop?

arlhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 14, 2014, 04:07:48 pm
How is this the media's fault? We don't do the set up for these press conferences. The school does. If it looks better at another school then they do a better job of setting it up. Seriously, do you think we have anything to do with a school's backdrop?
Come on Mike, you know you set it up.  You drive by Farm Bureau insurance and pick up that backdrop every time and you're the one shining that flashlight.   You need to get your stuff together and set up those lights and get a microphone for the press.   Come on man, get it together.   You are a disgrace.  LOL!!!

bigbadhog

Quote from: rude1 on December 14, 2014, 11:46:50 am
I agree he does do great pressers and interviews. What I am liking more is he seems to be learning to stay away from saying things that are going to lead to controversy. I really believe his first season here while it didn't break him or take away his confidence, it certainly seems to have humbled him.

He needed some humbling...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 14, 2014, 02:30:47 pm

It is up to the U of A AD and Sports Media departments to provide microphone access for each person asking a question. Like you, I wish they would get on the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Piggfoot

Mike I don't think most people are critical of the reporters at the press confs.
I think they are using the term "media" as a generic and all inclusive term.

I think you would agree there is needed improvement.

I for one would love to hear the questions and the name of the questioner.
Certainly the SID could arrange a centrally located mike and questioners could draw lots to see who goes first.

Could you reporters help us out?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Laughing Hog

I've brought this up several times and I think they did it for 1-2 pressers and then ............ it was gone. Back to guessing what the question was by the answer that CBB says.

If any mods read this would you PLEASE pass it down to the school, media peeps or whoever it is that can fix that little issue. Thanks in advance from "Upper Management".
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 14, 2014, 04:04:41 pm
At times in the past the University has tried to use microphones pointed at the media so the audio on questions could be picked up but it didn't work very well. Most of the time the mic on the head coach would get distorted for a few seconds after he started answering the question. They figured you'd rather hear him than us so they stopped pointing mics at us.

How bout a multiple wireless mic setup, where one person is asking a question, while the other mics are being passed to the next reporter in line?

I'm no A/V guy, but it looks like it isn't that hard to do at the meetings I've spoken at in the past.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Arkfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 14, 2014, 04:04:41 pm

Its a major college for cryin' out loud. Dont they offer some kind of TV/Broadcast degree? Couldnt they get them to help? Others schools can do it, surely the UA can figure something out.

OLDHOG

board

Damn man, he didn't say it was the media's fault.

You have always been kind of a crabby sob. Give it a break...

skbhog

Wonder why Philon wanted to quit

ldfergu

I think Mike Irwin just feels like the majority of us on Hogville are idiots. And, well, he's quite possibly right. 

Dr. Starcs

December 14, 2014, 10:11:56 pm #24 Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:23:56 pm by Dr. Starcs
Or has short man syndrome  :)

lechon

Good grief, It would not be too difficult to set up a mic. With the cash being thrown around in college football
they could fix this issue.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

BigPapaHawg

I really enjoying listening to Coach B speak!
WOO PIG

Smokehouse

I listen to The Franchise around OKC a lot and they usually play both coach's pressers in full about the time I'm driving to and from Norman. They're great if you love 2-3 word answers.

At one point in one of his pressers Bob was asked about how they recently discovered that one of the Sooner players had been diagnosed with the sickle cell trait and he mentioned how scary it was to not be able to monitor the player as closely on the field because he was on defense. I wish there had been an Arkansas reporter handy to read back all of his comments on Bielema and defensive-subbing from over the summer and ask what he thought about them in light of that.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 14, 2014, 06:55:01 pm
Mike I don't think most people are critical of the reporters at the press confs.
I think they are using the term "media" as a generic and all inclusive term.

I think you would agree there is needed improvement.

I for one would love to hear the questions and the name of the questioner.
Certainly the SID could arrange a centrally located mike and questioners could draw lots to see who goes first.

Could you reporters help us out?
We've mentioned it but it's not our call.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Laughing Hog on December 14, 2014, 07:17:50 pm
How bout a multiple wireless mic setup, where one person is asking a question, while the other mics are being passed to the next reporter in line?

I'm no A/V guy, but it looks like it isn't that hard to do at the meetings I've spoken at in the past.
I'm going to take a guess and it's just a guess. Press conferences aren't really intended to be stand alone events for the public. Unless it's a big one (head coach gets fired/hired) there's not a big audience. The day to day pressers are probably viewed by a few hundred people online. That's not enough of a draw for the athletic department
to spend the money for the equipment and people to produce these press conferences like a what you see in a typical White House press briefing.

HoginChiTown

The ones that the U of A broadcasts have no sound issues.  They raise the ambient audio levels when questions are asked so you can hear them.  At least they do on the Monday press conferences through Watch ESPN.  Not sure if they do that for post game press conferences though.

woodrow hog call

The last half of this thread is proof that people are always going to find something to complain about.
Can't hear the question? Seriously ?

Do you mean to tell me if your wife is talking to somebody on the phone and all you can hear is her talking, you can't tell what the other person is saying based on her response ?

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Nosboar Accubond

But wonder why Philon wanted to quit?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: board on December 14, 2014, 09:19:07 pm
Damn man, he didn't say it was the media's fault.

You have always been kind of a crabby sob. Give it a break...
Yeah, sorry about that. I misread the post and thought the guy was blaming the media for the press conference set up. Clearly he wasn't.

This subject keeps coming up and some here have blamed us in the past. I've explained it several times. To me it is what it is. They're not going to change the way these pressers are done until they think it's necessary.

In fairness to the athletic department I think to most fans its a minor issue or no issue at all. They're more interested in the football team winning games than how the press conferences look and sound online.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2014, 11:43:43 am
Yeah, sorry about that. I misread the post and thought the guy was blaming the media for the press conference set up. Clearly he wasn't.

This subject keeps coming up and some here have blamed us in the past. I've explained it several times. To me it is what it is. They're not going to change the way these pressers are done until they think it's necessary.

In fairness to the athletic department I think to most fans its a minor issue or no issue at all. They're more interested in the football team winning games than how the press conferences look and sound online.

How many are at a typical CBB press conference?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Piggfoot

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 15, 2014, 11:57:42 am
Re: Passing around the microphone for the media

It's not need at Arkansas for a couple of reasons. The main one is the number of people in the room is small enough that nobody needs to shout for Bielema (or Anderson or Van Horn) to hear them. Secondly, it slows down the process. A 10-minute session turns into a 15- or 20-minute one as you wait for the microphone to get to a reporter before they ask the question. Third, nobody would be able to get a microphone out of Bob Holt's hands if they did that at Arkansas.
Give us a break. All that is needed is a staff member to carry a wireless microphone to each questioner while Bielema is responding to a question.
It's very simple. By the way the microphones have an on off switch if there is feed back.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 15, 2014, 11:57:42 am
Re: Passing around the microphone for the media
nobody would be able to get a microphone out of Bob Holt's hands if they did that at Arkansas.
;D

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 15, 2014, 11:49:48 am
How many are at a typical CBB press conference?
Weekdays maybe 15. Double that after a game.

ErieHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2014, 02:36:18 pm
I actually think he does a decent job of repeating, or at least clarifying the question, it sort of gives you an idea of what it was. Of course, hearing the question in the first place would take the guessing out of it.

With a ton of our press conferences, the media isn't miked;   the best interview coaches often restate the question, after a fashion, for two purposes-- to prevent the same question being repeated in 30 seconds by another reporter, and to give guys who are just seeking material time to  start a new note about a point they might find interesting, if they hear the question clearly.

CBB is pretty good about it.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2014, 01:26:20 pm
Weekdays maybe 15. Double that after a game.

How many of those actually ask questions?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 15, 2014, 01:36:01 pm
How many of those actually ask questions?
Never kept track of that but Scott is correct. Bob asks a lot of them.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 15, 2014, 11:36:17 am

Can't hear the question? Seriously ?

Do you mean to tell me if your wife is talking to somebody on the phone and all you can hear is her talking, you can't tell what the other person is saying based on her response ?
Good point. There are plenty of times when I'm asked to file a report based on press conferences that happened on my days off or when I'm covering another story.

I've never had trouble figuring out what the coaches or players are talking about. It's almost always self explanatory.

NVRyield

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2014, 01:43:33 pm
Never kept track of that but Scott is correct. Bob asks a lot of them.
Mike, what is Bob's ratio of questions asked compared to other reporters?
Or is it the length of his questions/answers that keeps the coaches eyes rolling?

Hogfaniam

So give Bob a mic with a shut off on it and everybody else can pass one  :)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: NVRyield on December 15, 2014, 01:48:38 pm
Mike, what is Bob's ratio of questions asked compared to other reporters?
Or is it the length of his questions/answers that keeps the coaches eyes rolling?
He probably asks a third of the questions. Usually he's working on a feature story on a player so he will ask several questions about that player. In years past we would ask these type questions one-on-one with a coach. These days one-on-one interviews are rare.

Bob sometimes amuses coaches because if he doesn't get the quote he wants he'll ask a different version of the same question. One day Mike Anderson said in mock frustration, Bob just tell me what you want me to say and I'll say it.

In defense of Bob and in spite of the common view here there is no such thing as a bad question, only a bad answer (which often is no answer).

Reporters don't look at press conferences as entertainment for fans. It's a place we go to get information for stories we're going to write or air. I've seen some of the dumbest sounding questions produce great quotes.

What we're trying to get the coach or player do do is open up and say what they're really thinking. We don't care what the question sounds like to somebody watching on the Internet.

The_Iceman

Bret had a very good interview Bo's show today.

WooPig90

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2014, 03:22:29 pm
Bret had a very good interview Bo's show today.

And then again on 1037thebuzz right after haha

NVRyield

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2014, 02:42:11 pm
He probably asks a third of the questions. Usually he's working on a feature story on a player so he will ask several questions about that player. In years past we would ask these type questions one-on-one with a coach. These days one-on-one interviews are rare.

Bob sometimes amuses coaches because if he doesn't get the quote he wants he'll ask a different version of the same question. One day Mike Anderson said in mock frustration, Bob just tell me what you want me to say and I'll say it.

In defense of Bob and in spite of the common view here there is no such thing as a bad question, only a bad answer (which often is no answer).

Reporters don't look at press conferences as entertainment for fans. It's a place we go to get information for stories we're going to write or air. I've seen some of the dumbest sounding questions produce great quotes.

What we're trying to get the coach or player do do is open up and say what they're really thinking. We don't care what the question sounds like to somebody watching on the Internet.

Thanks Mike, great insight!   Ask some dumb questions for me :)
Love the answers!  :razorback:

ldfergu

Didn't really mean to start the microphone debate. Usually you can figure out what question was asked by the answer.

I just enjoy them because I always find out something about the team no one is talking about. Coach B offers good info into the program

Hogfaniam

How would Bielema stand in the pantheon of Razorback coaches as far as who you would rather interview? Who's first, who's last?  Dana Altman?