Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick practice report for Dec. 13

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 13, 2014, 01:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

As has been reported Rohan Gaines and Carrol Washington are no longer with the team.  Gaines has a chance to earn his spot back in January.

Brandon Allen looked healthy and was making all the throws in warm ups.  There was one time I saw him kind of twist to stretch out his back after a play.

Not really much more to add.  Didn't see AJ out there and CBB had mentioned that he was still hurt.

Will Gragg was out there watching practice.

Early on the running backs worked on ball security.  Two guys running beside them trying to punch the ball loose.  They had several minutes of that drill.

A post season practice that is open doesn't tell you much that you don't already know.  What it does tell you is how the players and coaches are reacting to each other.  This team doesn't show any attitude towards the coaches.  The coaches were relaxed but didn't put up with any half effort.  K. Edwards tried to catch the ball with one hand in a drill and Bielema lit him up.  Made him run it again and we didn't see anymore of that.

I'm at the basketball game, but I'll try to answer any questions that you have.
Retired Radio Host

razorbackkid

If my motorcycle gets 80 mpg and it takes 3 days to get to the moon, how many peanut butter sandwiches should I take?

That's my question.  Thanks for the updates.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HogsBalls

Thanks for the report. I don't have any sources, but I would believe that Derby's knee is pretty serious. I honestly don't think he'll play. Coach B won't jeopardize his NFL future.

Dwyane Wade

Saw Coach B tweet that they had a full scrimmage with "young hogs" any details?

staffhog

Hope to be hearing Brandon has his game back.  We will need him full speed to kick their &^^#$@ as much as I want them too.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: staffhog on December 13, 2014, 03:44:09 pm
Hope to be hearing Brandon has his game back.  We will need him full speed and playing well to kick their &^^#$@ as much as I want them too.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogoffate

Other than Liddell and Turner at Safety, who was taking reps?
Any corners working there?
Thanks for your efforts.
I'll hang up and listen. :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: razorbackkid on December 13, 2014, 03:23:45 pm
If my motorcycle gets 80 mpg and it takes 3 days to get to the moon, how many peanut butter sandwiches should I take?

zero. You can't swallow peanut butter in zero gravity.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: hogoffate on December 13, 2014, 04:27:25 pm
Other than Liddell and Turner at Safety, who was taking reps?
Any corners working there?
Thanks for your efforts.
I'll hang up and listen. :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Hopefully, Coley is. I imagine McKinney and Richardson are back there, too.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Dwyane Wade on December 13, 2014, 03:40:16 pm
Saw Coach B tweet that they had a full scrimmage with "young hogs" any details?

Well, JoJo was out there and looking good.  Lots of reps from freshmen and redshirt guys.  Rafe got some good work in and Evans and Day were running quite a few reps.  There was still mostly 1s and 2s that I saw but the younger guys were getting more work than what I am used to seeing.
Retired Radio Host

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2014, 07:44:01 pm
Well, JoJo was out there and looking good.  Lots of reps from freshmen and redshirt guys.  Rafe got some good work in and Evans and Day were running quite a few reps.  There was still mostly 1s and 2s that I saw but the younger guys were getting more work than what I am used to seeing.

You've got a hard life, Ched. :)
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Pigsknuckles

I want what you're having. :). Sounds like Coach B is "reacting proactively". A lot of PR, and recruiting mojo is at stake here, and we simply can't beat ourselves. The best game plan must include ball security as it's first priority. If we are beaten, it cannot be due to ball handling (especially special teams) mistakes.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

John Futrall

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2014, 01:13:31 pm
As has been reported Rohan Gaines and Carrol Washington are no longer with the team.  Gaines has a chance to earn his spot back in January.

Brandon Allen looked healthy and was making all the throws in warm ups.  There was one time I saw him kind of twist to stretch out his back after a play.

Not really much more to add.  Didn't see AJ out there and CBB had mentioned that he was still hurt.

Will Gragg was out there watching practice.

Early on the running backs worked on ball security.  Two guys running beside them trying to punch the ball loose.  They had several minutes of that drill.

A post season practice that is open doesn't tell you much that you don't already know.  What it does tell you is how the players and coaches are reacting to each other.  This team doesn't show any attitude towards the coaches.  The coaches were relaxed but didn't put up with any half effort.  K. Edwards tried to catch the ball with one hand in a drill and Bielema lit him up.  Made him run it again and we didn't see anymore of that.

I'm at the basketball game, but I'll try to answer any questions that you have.

Hey!  If the moon were made of spare ribs, would ya eat it?

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: John Futrall on December 13, 2014, 08:08:55 pm

2000 appx. miles diameter. That's a lot of spare ribs.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2014, 08:10:32 pm
2000 appx. miles diameter. That's a lot of spare ribs.
Yeah,  but it's mostly bones so...

redeye

Bielema mentioned preparing guys for Spring Practice.  I hope he's taking this game serious.  Not just because it's Texas, but also because our bowl record is horrendous and that has to stop.

HogFanatic

I would! And then I would wash it down with a nice, cool budweiser.

I once took a pair of binoculars and stared at the sun for over an hour.

razorback44

Quote from: redeye on December 13, 2014, 08:18:08 pm
Bielema mentioned preparing guys for Spring Practice.  I hope he's taking this game serious.  Not just because it's Texas, but also because our bowl record is horrendous and that has to stop.

No coach spends all of their bowl practices prepping for the bowl game.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Dwyane Wade

Jojo looking like he could be a game changer next season?

boatinporker

I have had both knees scoped and "cleaned up" and I can tell you that it takes more than two weeks before you feel that you can do very much. I was months along before I actually felt normal again. I will be surprised if A.J. plays in the bowl game.

SoonerSooie

Any explanation on R G and Washington? This can't be good.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

7.. duh..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Dwyane Wade on December 13, 2014, 09:55:19 pm
Jojo looking like he could be a game changer next season?

He does.  He is extremely quick and was catching everything.

Anthony Antwine is a big receiver.  He has some hamstring issues.  Looked like they were trying to work it out.

Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: SoonerSooie on December 14, 2014, 05:20:59 am
Any explanation on R G and Washington? This can't be good.

It isn't good.  They were kicked off the team.  The way Bielema said was more than just "suspended for bowl game."  You could tell he was seriously firm about this.  My guess is that Gaines will have many obstacles to get through before being allowed back on the team.
Retired Radio Host

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 15, 2014, 11:36:27 am
He does.  He is extremely quick and was catching everything.

Anthony Antwine is a big receiver.  He has some hamstring issues.  Looked like they were trying to work it out.

How did Day and Evans look taking carries? 

The_Iceman

Someone mentioned that Rafe has really improved his throwing mechanics. Can you confirm this and then compare the impact it has on his throws compared to the Spring?

The_Iceman

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 15, 2014, 11:41:25 am

...Day in particular, since we haven't seen him yet.

Ugly Uncle

This time of year the team has had MANY hard practices.  Later in the season every coach will back off the length and intensity of practices because 1.  Players are kind of beat up and he wants to save their bodies.  2.  They learn more and prepare better by film study and game plan study because they have the physically going out and doing it down.  So they will do more walk throughs and light contact as they prepare for a game.

With this much time before a game they will get some of the younger players out there to teach them game speed and proper technique.  The older players that will be out on the field for the bowl game will continue to learn more from film and game plan study. 

What I saw Saturday was working on proper fundamentals and effort.  Coaches won't beat up their players just because they have more practices and month to get ready.  They will get those younger guys in and give them serious work and might try them at different spots to see how they do.

The older guys don't need 2 hours of hard physical practice to get ready.  They just need to stay fresh healthy and go full speed a few plays to get done what they need to get done.
Retired Radio Host

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 13, 2014, 08:43:03 pm
I would! And then I would wash it down with a nice, cool budweiser.

I once took a pair of binoculars and stared at the sun for over an hour.

That explains  a lot....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 15, 2014, 11:41:25 am

I think Day is going to be a fantastic back for us.  Day is a slightly taller and thinner version of J. Wil.  He runs hard with great vision and good balance.  I didn't see just a lot of him on Saturday but he does look healthy and he is someone that won't be left behind on the depth chart.

There was one play where it was to go to the outside and he made a nice cut to get up field.  He is not a speed back, but he will be a guy that will get good yards and be tough to bring down in open field.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2014, 11:44:36 am
Someone mentioned that Rafe has really improved his throwing mechanics. Can you confirm this and then compare the impact it has on his throws compared to the Spring?

I didn't think Rafe threw the ball well when I last saw him during the fall.  He has a great arm, but at times the ball floated on him and he would throw the ball late.

Just watching some of the drills they were doing he was throwing a tight spiral and with good zip on the ball.  He seemed to be...and should be...more confident in his throws now than what I saw back during the fall practices.

On another note.  Duwop is a big man.  Didn't realize how big he was til I stood next to him out at practice.  He is muscled up and even though he is listed as 6'2 I would say he is taller than that.  He is an unbelievable athlete and I really hope we can find a place for him out on the field.  With his size and speed he would make a killer safety.  He is also big and fast enough to be a good running back for us.
Retired Radio Host

The_Iceman

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 15, 2014, 12:09:15 pm
I didn't think Rafe threw the ball well when I last saw him during the fall.  He has a great arm, but at times the ball floated on him and he would throw the ball late.

Just watching some of the drills they were doing he was throwing a tight spiral and with good zip on the ball.  He seemed to be...and should be...more confident in his throws now than what I saw back during the fall practices.

On another note.  Duwop is a big man.  Didn't realize how big he was til I stood next to him out at practice.  He is muscled up and even though he is listed as 6'2 I would say he is taller than that.  He is an unbelievable athlete and I really hope we can find a place for him out on the field.  With his size and speed he would make a killer safety.  He is also big and fast enough to be a good running back for us.

I think Safety is more likely than RB. I guess the coaches didn't see enough from him as a QB to leave him there. Must be missing something.

hogsanity

One of the main reasons to try to make a bowl is the 15 extra practices. It like having 2 spring practices. Sure, they prep for the bowl, but it is an opportunity to get a jump on spring and next season.

Look at this year, they get to bring in some guys who are enrolling at mid term, and they get 5 or 6 days with them, that is huge.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

M L (bassplayer)

Ditto on the bowl record. I would love to see that turn around.

GuvHog

Actually if not for a Freshman mistake on a blocked punt late in the Sugar Bowl, the Hogs would be 3-0 in their last 3 bowl games. The Hogs bowl record under Hooty was atrocious though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on December 15, 2014, 12:41:27 pm
Actually if not for a Freshman mistake on a blocked punt late in the Sugar Bowl, the Hogs would be 3-0 in their last 3 bowl games. The Hogs bowl record under Hooty was atrocious though.

Or how about the Joe Adams dropping the opening touchdown.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2014, 12:24:05 pm
One of the main reasons to try to make a bowl is the 15 extra practices. It like having 2 spring practices. Sure, they prep for the bowl, but it is an opportunity to get a jump on spring and next season.

Look at this year, they get to bring in some guys who are enrolling at mid term, and they get 5 or 6 days with them, that is huge.

There isn't a limit on practices like spring practice, we'll have around 19/20 practices before the bowl game.

rwspear

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2014, 12:54:36 pm
Or how about the Joe Adams dropping the opening touchdown.

or Mallett missing a WIDE OPEN Wright two plays later.

/pain

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2014, 12:56:56 pm
There isn't a limit on practices like spring practice, we'll have around 19/20 practices before the bowl game.

Well, some of those will be strictly bowl prep. BB talked about it right after the bowl game was announced, said the last 20-30 mins of the practices the next ( the 2 weeks after bowl bids came out ) would be the fr and red shirts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WooPig90

Quote from: rwspear on December 15, 2014, 01:02:35 pm
or Mallett missing a WIDE OPEN Wright two plays later.

/pain

No more bad memories, make it stop!!

Wild Bill Hog

Depends.  Dry rub or thick messy sauce?

arkbuck

Quote from: boatinporker on December 13, 2014, 10:57:56 pm
I have had both knees scoped and "cleaned up" and I can tell you that it takes more than two weeks before you feel that you can do very much. I was months along before I actually felt normal again. I will be surprised if A.J. plays in the bowl game.

Meh.  I had mine scoped on a Wed in high school missed Friday that week and played following Friday night. Felt a whole lot better than before the scope.