Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STOREY!

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 13, 2014, 12:29:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

I sincerely hope you are right Hogules. I think we all do.

Are you old enough to remember another can't miss prospect from Charleston named Jon Stewart? (Sp?) and yeah I know, different sport.

Just say'n

Brad Taylor is the only arkansas grown QB that I can remember, from a small school, that has had success as a Hog QB.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Boog41 on December 13, 2014, 09:44:41 pm

Are you old enough to remember another can't miss prospect from Charleston named Jon Stewart? (Sp?) and yeah I know, different sport.

Just say'n

Brad Taylor is the only arkansas grown QB that I can remember, from a small school, that has had success as a Hog QB.
I still remember the Gator Bowl/Fog Bowl against a tough UNC squad.
And how Brads passes would drop out of the fog and hit little Derrick Hollaway in full stride.
Ty Storey has that type of passing ability!
The only problem with Taylor was that he was so slow he made Ryan Mallett look like a speed demon (lol).
Brad had no mobility, where as Storey isn't a blazer by any stretch of the imagination, but he's football smart and is tough enough that up until this year did double duty as a LB'er on defense.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Pigsknuckles

Anyone but me glad that we are having this discussion?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Granny fan

Those of you that are so hung up on him not coming from a 7A school,  tell me, how big was the school the Manning boys attended??

arkmark

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 09:44:03 pm
Wilson was a 5th yr Sr, correct?
As I recall he came to Wisconsin as a graduate transfer as he didn't have to sit a year before playing.  One year of eligibility to play when he arrived.

rusvegashog

You are correct sir^^^^^

bennyl08

Quote from: Boog41 on December 13, 2014, 09:44:41 pm

Just say'n

The physics teacher or the Comedy show host??? (I know, it's actually John who teaches phys)
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 13, 2014, 04:48:24 pm
Yes. But FWIW the 3A division is probably better at the top than 4a this year.
Maybe 2A but you don't want to step up and play Warren this season or Dardanelle for that matter..

WilsonHog

To be clear, I don't particularly care what classification of Arkansas high school ball a quarterback comes from. There will be a world of difference between the level of play there and the SEC.

I am happy Ty chose to be a Razorback, and I hope he has a successful career at UA. I'm just not going to be pushing for, or expecting, him to be the starter next fall.

hoofer

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2014, 10:04:11 pm
Anyone but me glad that we are having this discussion?

You can pretty much go back 12 months, insert Rafe Peavey into this exact same thread. Fans love to anoint the stud coming out of HS. Guess what, every QB on our roster, including our current starter, looked as good or better than Ty Storey in HS. The kid will redshirt next year, just like almost every other true freshman QB in the SEC, then he will be in a dogfight against Rafe Peavey and Austin Allen the year after that. At end of the day, one of those kids will emerge and be a good QB. Competition at QB is what is lacking on the Hill right now. There is nobody to push BA. That will change once Ty, Rafe, and Austin all get in the mix.

Buff

Quote from: hoofer on December 14, 2014, 12:00:30 am
Guess what, every QB on our roster, including our current starter, looked as good or better than Ty Storey in HS.

bennyl08

Quote from: hoofer on December 14, 2014, 12:00:30 am
You can pretty much go back 12 months, insert Rafe Peavey into this exact same thread. Fans love to anoint the stud coming out of HS. Guess what, every QB on our roster, including our current starter, looked as good or better than Ty Storey in HS. The kid will redshirt next year, just like almost every other true freshman QB in the SEC, then he will be in a dogfight against Rafe Peavey and Austin Allen the year after that. At end of the day, one of those kids will emerge and be a good QB. Competition at QB is what is lacking on the Hill right now. There is nobody to push BA. That will change once Ty, Rafe, and Austin all get in the mix.

9 times out of 10, you are right. However, a lot of the people who are excited about Ty are not the one's who are always a fan of the backup and have excited about him for some time. I'm expecting him to redshirt next season with three capable quarterbacks ahead of him. But in 2016, I predict he will beat out Austin and Rafe.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rlamb

I truly hope he does turn out to be the best QB we've ever had, but NW Arkansas history is full of failures and middling QB's who were 5 & 4 stars in high school and failed here and other places. Examples, Gary Brashers, Mitch (Nutt's doing), Kody Burns, Rhett Lashlee, Frazier, Zac Clark and some others I forget. I won't throw in the current ones to this list yet. The only really successful one was Matt.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Granny fan on December 13, 2014, 10:05:00 pm
Those of you that are so hung up on him not coming from a 7A school,  tell me, how big was the school the Manning boys attended??

Didn't they attend the school of pro football QB father? Horrible comparison.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

I think the  analogy is that even QB's from larger schools have had to adjust to the speed of college ball, so there's a good chance he will too.

As far as the Manning boys, the DNA is a little different, but Newman was a small private school.

King

Quote from: rlamb on December 14, 2014, 03:54:38 am
I truly hope he does turn out to be the best QB we've ever had, but NW Arkansas history is full of failures and middling QB's who were 5 & 4 stars in high school and failed here and other places. Examples, Gary Brashers, Mitch (Nutt's doing), Kody Burns, Rhett Lashlee, Frazier, Zac Clark and some others I forget. I won't throw in the current ones to this list yet. The only really successful one was Matt.

Tyler Wilson did okay, but he was not nearly as hyped as the ones you mention, Nutt did not even offer him a scholarship from what I recall.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2014, 07:39:34 pm
So, does it seem that Rafe needs to be checking his rear view mirror?

You are getting a little ahead of yourself.  Rafe hasn't taken the job from Austin Allen yet. 

HogsBalls

He's big he's strong he's agile he has great accuracy and makes good decisions. Who knows what the plans are for him next year but I know he is going to be a great Razorback.

rude1

This kid is going to need time to develop, and people thinking or wanting him to come right in and take the position aren't being realistic. There's going to be a much bigger learning curve for him because he wasn't even playing against the best Arkansas high school talent. The size and speed of the game will be a much bigger jump for him than others playing in higher classifications.

HF#1

Quote from: rude1 on December 14, 2014, 11:43:17 am
This kid is going to need time to develop, and people thinking or wanting him to come right in and take the position aren't being realistic. There's going to be a much bigger learning curve for him because he wasn't even playing against the best Arkansas high school talent. The size and speed of the game will be a much bigger jump for him than others playing in higher classifications.

I don't think he will take anyones job but he will push Brandon, Austin, and Rafe hard.  Out of the 3 QB's on campus, Ty probably has the most raw talent.  Wouldn't shock me if he wins the 3rd string job and competes in 2016 for the starting job.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The real Hogules

Quote from: Been10Hog on December 14, 2014, 10:39:54 am
you obviously don't have a good memory to say BT was slow. While he wasn't Quinn Grovey he did run the flexbone offense for coach Hatfield which was primarily the triple option. He was not slower than Mallett. To say so is a severe insult
You're the one whose memory is failing.
Brad Taylor was slower than molasses in the dead of winter!

Athog

Quote from: SWarkansasman on December 13, 2014, 05:40:09 pm
He is way better right now than our current starter.

Not yet maybe in time!

HSVhogfan2

LOL. Isidore Newman is small, but it is a prep school that produces as many NFL players as any school in the country. Maybe not quiet the "Storied" history that Charleston has, but close.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2014, 09:08:28 pm
Underboob is more sexy than cleavage. You heard it first here.

I disagree, but would love the opportunity to argue it out with you over beer and a live model show... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 14, 2014, 02:43:47 pm
I disagree, but would love the opportunity to argue it out with you over beer and a live model show... ;)

Lol.  ;)
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rude1 on December 14, 2014, 11:43:17 am

This is not Petrino's offense. It's more QB read and react. Less WR and RB/FB pass options. The WR's have to work harder due to the play action 2 to 3 man routes... Plus CBP appeared to trust his QB's more than Chaney on the deep routes...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

ifghog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 14, 2014, 02:43:47 pm
it's close but underboob is awesome!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Buff on December 14, 2014, 01:04:37 am

Beautiful Husky..! If I were a Washington fan I would have one. I might get one anyway, but my Hog might eat it..! ;)

Mike Irwin

I saw Peavey some in yesterday's practice. First time we've been allowed to watch since last August. For those of you who think Chaney can't develop QBs Peavey's throwing mechanics looked 100% better than the last time I saw him.

From talking with Chaney I can tell you that he'd like to put nothing but 4th year juniors & 5th years seniors on the field at QB. That's not always possible but unless Peavey or Storey make remarkable strides I'd say it's likely that Austin Allen will start in 2016. He's already played in three games and will likely get more playing time next season.

Who would start after that is too far down the road to even speculate about.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 14, 2014, 04:23:17 pm
I saw Peavey some in yesterday's practice. First time we've been allowed to watch since last August. For those of you who think Chaney can't develop QBs Peavey's throwing mechanics looked 100% better than the last time I saw him.

From talking with Chaney I can tell you that he'd like to put nothing but 4th year juniors & 5th years seniors on the field at QB. That's not always possible but unless Peavey or Storey make remarkable strides I'd say it's likely that Austin Allen will start in 2016. He's already played in three games and will likely get more playing time next season.

That's an interesting point, I still wish we could get inside the Missouri game thinking on AA vs hurt BA. I am sure, though, they want to win so I reckon that answers that.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 13, 2014, 11:54:51 pm
To be clear, I don't particularly care what classification of Arkansas high school ball a quarterback comes from. There will be a world of difference between the level of play there and the SEC.

I am happy Ty chose to be a Razorback, and I hope he has a successful career at UA. I'm just not going to be pushing for, or expecting, him to be the starter next fall.

100% agree.  People will have unrealistic expectations...that is a given.  I would be pushing for him....

...to red shirt, for sure.  For those who think a true Fr. would have a chance in the SEC West next year, I'm not sure where you're getting that.  Who was the last TRUE Fr. QB to do anything in the SEC?? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

It takes a rare talent to be able to succeed in the SEC, much less right out of the chute.  I'm disappointed the staff didn't have any more confidence in AA than they did in the MO game.  BA couldn't even get off the ground, obviously had no core strength due to the pain he was in, and that HAS TO CHANGE.  I saw that as a significant setback in terms of what they're building. 

I'm glad they're red shirting guys as often as possible.  I truly believe it is THE KEY to us being competitive.  If we can't get a field full of 4 and 5* players, then the only way we're going to overcome that is by "out experiencing" them.  That comes from a very successful red shirt and developmental program, similar to what Nebraska did years ago under Osborne. 

Oh...and I haven't seen Storey play, so I can't speak directly to his skill set.  However, I do have a close friend who knows him very well and has watched him grow up.  He says he's a very hard worker, excellent kid, and the desire to be excellent is there.  He also says that he hasn't seen anything to make him think he will be any better than either TW or Brandon Allen, and he calls it like he sees it. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hawgzinbowlz

We'll see how good he is in due time. He'll have an equal opportunity to show his leadership capabilities. SEC defenses have a way of bringing out whatever talent level exists.

Glad he chose The Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

woodhog14

Ha!!! I'm all about Storey being the man eventually, but put him as the starter right now and he won't be better than BA. You think Storey would do better RIGHT NOW than BA. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You can honestly see him lining up against Bama, LSU, Auburn or Texas for that matter and playing better than BA? Yeah, because Arkansas Class AAA defenses have athletes like those schools I just mentioned/ That's just stupid talk.

Storey, I do believe will be better than BA down the line. I bet he will start as a sophomore and be the starter for 3 years and win a lot of games.

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2014, 09:08:28 pm
Underboob is more sexy than cleavage. You heard it first here.

I disagree!  Cleavage is beautiful!

woodhog14

Exactly!

Pigstie

And that is a philosophy I disagree with. Eventually we will have a difficult time convincing a 4 or 5 star QBs' to come here by telling him...."by the way, ideally we will not want to put you on the field for 4 years."
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

gawntrail

Quote from: Pigstie on December 14, 2014, 08:30:39 pm
And that is a philosophy I disagree with. Eventually we will have a difficult time convincing a 4 or 5 star QBs' to come here by telling him...."by the way, ideally we will not want to put you on the field for 4 years."

That there is the point.  Generally, what type of qb is OK with not starting until year 4 and would commit to a program with that philosophy......?  QBs need to WANT the ball.  Not be the shufflin' along to be next in line type.

I strongly believe, with the more I hear, that we should be out looking for an OC that can take our typical QB prospect and plug him into a simpler system by year 2.  Less and less prototype prospects and more and more athletic atypical types to choose from. 

Kevin

At what position would they not like to have a guy that is 4 years into the program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HouSwine

Surely CBB knows this. You can get plenty of 2-3 stars that way!

hoglady

Reality check time.
Comparing him to Mallett?? Really??
It may be 20 years before we see another QB at Arkansas with Mallett's ability.
Storey may be end up being great or he may end up being another in a long line of Arkansas high school QB's who can't adjust to SEC play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The real Hogules

Quote from: hoglady on December 14, 2014, 11:11:56 pm
Reality check time.
Comparing him to Mallett?? Really??
It may be 20 years before we see another QB at Arkansas with Mallett's ability.
Storey may be end up being great or he may end up being another in a long line of Arkansas high school QB's who can't adjust to SEC play.

Spoken like someone who hasn't even seen a single game with Storey QB'ing.
His arm strength is comparable and while I wouldn't describe Ty as someone with blazing speed it most assuredly is better than Ryan's is/was.
The kid can throw a frozen rope 40+ yards down the field and that Mallett like in my book.
He's a pure pocket passer with good foot work and the ability to scramble.
In short, he's exactly the type of QB that Jim Chaney needs to get his doubters off his back and run his complete offensive package.
I have no idea how quickly he'll pick up on our offensive plays, but I'd still be willing to bet the he'll be able to read defenses better coming out of HS than 90%-95% of the other QB's graduating HS this year.

Mike Irwin

Tell that to Nick Saban who started Blake Sims for the first time at QB this season as a 5th year senior. Who won the SEC? What team is seeded No 1 in the playoffs?

Certainly something like this is not always possible. Sometimes your best option is still a true freshman or sophomore. However coaches are always more comfortable with a talented AND experienced QB. Frank Broyles once told me that in years when he had a talented  upperclassmen at QB he slept like a baby the entire summer before. When he knew he was going to have to start a freshman or sophomore for the first time at QB he tossed and turned every night.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: gawntrail on December 14, 2014, 09:23:32 pm
That there is the point.  Generally, what type of qb is OK with not starting until year 4 and would commit to a program with that philosophy......?  QBs need to WANT the ball.  Not be the shufflin' along to be next in line type.

I strongly believe, with the more I hear, that we should be out looking for an OC that can take our typical QB prospect and plug him into a simpler system by year 2.  Less and less prototype prospects and more and more athletic atypical types to choose from.
You don't tell a kid when you're recruiting him how long it's going to be until he starts. That's up to him. However, if there is somebody in front of him who is a better option at the time he can either wait or leave.

Teams that win conference titles and national championship usually have an upperclassman starting at QB. There are exceptions but Chaney's philosophy is pretty much universal among coaches. I've never known one yet that said he'd rather start a freshmen QB than a junior if the talent level is the same.

Experience is everything in football. I don't think Mississippi State had any more talent this season than in years past. What they had was an unusual number of 4th year juniors and 5th year seniors.

Kevin

Did not seem to bother Florida state last year to have a rs freahman starter.

With the year round commitment to a singular sport, hiring personal skill trainers, 7 vs 7 competition, players are more ready to play that back in the day.

Is ty the next starting qb at arkansas, I don't know, I just hope none of them are held back just because of the age or experience.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChitownHawg

Of course he is because Smackover is good enough to play in the SEC. He is a Hog and I will cheer for him, but the rhetoric needs to back off. The kid played for Charleston for goodness sake. Many high school phenoms from much larger programs have flamed out, so tone it down a bit.

At least until we see how the kid does against our defense.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

A big amen to this.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Hogfaniam

A lot will be dependent on how fast he makes the adjustment to taking snaps under center.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ChitownHawg

December 15, 2014, 07:20:59 am #98 Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:14:40 am by ChitownHawg

Is English your second language? Mike didn't say Chaney will always put a senior on the field. The coaches do place a lot of importance on game experience which the stats reflect this to be the correct thing to do.

If the kid can beat out the other QBs and show game time maturity then I am sure he would start. However, few freshmen do.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on December 15, 2014, 07:24:22 am
I watched Storey in the playoffs last year, and was a little underwhelmed - just like I was when I went to see Mustain in that state finals game years ago.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing, or criticism.  I think that both of those guys were surrounded by superior talent and had coaches who knew how to coordinate a passing attack.  In other words, their receivers were so wide open that neither Storey or Mustain had to do much more than lob it around all night.  It was hard to get a read on him from that one game.

You must be lying!   :)
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"