Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

more TEXAS hate

Started by ballz2thewall, December 13, 2014, 10:51:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

but i loved earl campbell.

skole, brotha!....

any guys as old as me have some longhorns you hated to love?
The rest of the frog.

Tyro3

I have been going to Hog games for 55 years and as far as Texas players that I thought were class acts, Earl Campbell was one of the best.

davglo35

Russell Erxleben was a great kicker and punter. He and Steve Little had a battle going back then along with Tony Franklin

rlamb

Tommy Nobis was (mid-60's) then and up to now one of the fiercest middle liinebacks
ever. we can thank him for our lone National Title in that Orange Bowl that year against the Namath led Bammers, and with the score 21-17 Texas, he stopped the running backs 3 straight times at the 1 and also Joe Namath once on a dive from the 1!

On 3rd and 1 from the Texas 1, the Bama fullback Steve Bowman tried a dive over the top, Nobis met him head on and Bowman shook like he had been hit by a 10 gauge point blank and went back. So by this great game in the 65' Orange, we had beat the team who beat the team who was No. # 1. He had about a 22" neck and was the then huge 6'2" and 230, all muscle. Believe, he was slow white boy,(sarcasm) who would be All-American again today!

rzrbackrob

As much as I can not stand almost everything Texa$$, Earl Campbell was just too great to hate.
Good is the enemy of great

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: rzrbackrob on December 14, 2014, 05:38:58 am
As much as I can not stand almost everything Texa$$, Earl Campbell was just too great to hate.

And as a Houston Earler, Bum Phillips practically destroyed him.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

(notOM)Rebel123

Lawrence Sampleton, TE, UT
Broke Vaughn Lusby's jaw.

And of course, Herkie Walls.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 13, 2014, 10:51:26 am

skole, brotha!....

I loved that pot smoking Ricky Williams too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

redeye

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 14, 2014, 03:48:12 pm
I loved that pot smoking Ricky Williams too...

Same here.  He had problems, but always seemed like a nice guy, too.

gmarv

I hated earl Campbell right up until he graduated and then it was like oh okay he seems like a good guy.what a great player too.

Rooster Hogburn

December 14, 2014, 06:41:04 pm #10 Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:04:17 pm by Rooster Hogburn
Vince Young was the greatest ever at the college level, and I can't stand it.

My in-laws are all texass natives and fans. They love to brag about how much revenue their program has and generates, as well as how they have their pick of 4 and 5 star players on the roster. This always sets up some great questions and observations, which they struggle to respond rationally.

With that much money, how does texass rank in wins/$ revenue?

If coaches are judged on their performance, given the resources of a particular program, is there a valid excuse for texass to have a "down year?"

How does texass rank in wins per 4/5 star recruit?

Forbes has been publishing an estimated athletic program valuation ranking, which texass usually takes the number 1 spot. The last several year I've been able to calculate athletic program value by wins in the season, which texass falls flat compared to other top ten teams in a given season.

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Boarcephus

Have hated Texas since day one but always liked Earl Campbell.  Still remember Darrell Royal telling the story about Campbell and how homesick he was when he first arrived in Austin.  He'd sit on the corner facing east with big old tears streaming down his cheeks he was so homesick..
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

OLDHOG

Quote from: rlamb on December 14, 2014, 03:47:32 am
Tommy Nobis was (mid-60's) then and up to now one of the fiercest middle liinebacks
ever. we can thank him for our lone National Title in that Orange Bowl that year against the Namath led Bammers, and with the score 21-17 Texas, he stopped the running backs 3 straight times at the 1 and also Joe Namath once on a dive from the 1!

On 3rd and 1 from the Texas 1, the Bama fullback Steve Bowman tried a dive over the top, Nobis met him head on and Bowman shook like he had been hit by a 10 gauge point blank and went back. So by this great game in the 65' Orange, we had beat the team who beat the team who was No. # 1. He had about a 22" neck and was the then huge 6'2" and 230, all muscle. Believe, he was slow white boy,(sarcasm) who would be All-American again today!
Yea, I remember Nobis. He was a beast then and he'd be a beast now. Tough, tough, tough!

greasy_corner

Wow.  A lot of earl campbell hot link lovers in this thread.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Texass Sucks!!! Always!!!
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

HoustonwehaveaProblem

My grandma just said "f@$k Earl Campbell!"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on December 14, 2014, 06:41:04 pm

My in-laws are all texass natives and fans. They love to brag about how much revenue their program has and generates, as well as how they have their pick of 4 and 5 star players on the roster. This always sets up some great questions and observations, which they struggle to respond rationally.

If coaches are judged on their performance, given the resources of a particular program, is there a valid excuse for texass to have a "down year?"

Forbes has been publishing an estimated athletic program valuation ranking, which texass usually takes the number 1 spot. The last several year I've been able to calculate athletic program value by wins in the season, which texass falls flat compared to other top ten teams in a given season.

God loves pissed off math nerds...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on December 14, 2014, 06:41:04 pm

They raise the most, but their expenditures for football fall out of the top 5.  Based on money spent, Auburn should be no. 1 every year.

But still, Tuck Fexass!
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

rickm1976

Quote from: rzrbackrob on December 14, 2014, 05:38:58 am

Yeah.  I met him at a Texas HS football playoff game in Austin.  His son played on the opposing team from my son's.  I couldn't help myself, and walked up and shook his hand.  He is one of the most genuine nice guys you could ever meet.  We even talked a little bit about the game and how hard it was to see your "little boy" (mine was 6'2, 310) out there playing on the field and wanting to go out there and help/yell at them and not being able to.  He didn't know me from Adam, but took up his time to talk to me for quite awhile. Earl was pretty much crippled then (in 2002), and I can't imagine what kind of condition he's in now.  He is a class act.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

A forgotten story is the fact that Earl Campbell seriously considered going to Arkansas.  You put Earl on the 1977 Arkansas team and the National Championship would be a forgone conclusion!

oldhawg

Not the players, but the James Street to Randy Peschal pass has to be the most hated play in Razorback history.

LZH

Quote from: davglo35 on December 14, 2014, 02:19:17 am
Russell Erxleben was a great kicker and punter. He and Steve Little had a battle going back then along with Tony Franklin

Good memory.

Texas has had three RB's that I dearly loved to watch.  Earl Cambell, Eric Metcalf, and Ricky Williams.

ballz2thewall

remember the jones boys?  johnny "lam" and johnny "ham"?

johnny "lam" jones was also on the US olympic track team that took home gold in some sprints and relays.  i was into track as well as football. the guy could smoke the field at times.
The rest of the frog.

Hoggam's Razor

Loved Earl. Never forget the Monday night game he dropped 199 yds....classic!
I hate it when people complain.

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

Earl Campbell is the exception, the only exception, to the rule.

HATE TEXAS!

Westcoasthog

Jim Lindsey told me personally when Arkansas beat Texas in the 1964 game in Austin, Jim Lindsey blocked Tommy Nobis out of the way in which Ken Hatfield scored the winning touchdown  - Jim said from that block he got a chipped tooth that had to be crowned.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Joe Davis (USS Razorback) on December 16, 2014, 02:21:03 am
Earl Campbell is the exception, the only exception, to the rule.

HATE TEXAS!

Amen and I love those Hot Links Earl is selling.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogYouVeryMuch

I've never rooted for the success of anybody that ever wore the burnt orange, but the day that will change is coming soon.  The QB in waiting at Texas right now, Jerrod Heard, is probably about the classiest young man I've ever met.

My kids went to the same middle and high school with him, so I've watched him for some time.  I've had the pleasure of seeing about every game he played in high school, which included the back-to-back state championships for Denton-Guyer.  His talent on the field is only superseded by the way he handles himself off.  His success never went to his head.  He was always the most respectful young man, always 'yes sir, no sir'.  His entire family is just great.

My step-son was a freshman when he was a senior, and my step-son was not an athlete nor ran in those circles.  But Jerrod knew him from his middle schools days and would always stop and talk to him and take the time to see what was going on with him. 

So, the first time he takes a snap for Texas will pose quite the dilemma for me.  I'm not exactly sure how i'll react, but I know I'll be pulling for his success - it couldn't be more well deserved.

PS.  He's the real deal and Texas will rise to power again behind his talent.

texhog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 15, 2014, 12:29:14 pm
remember the jones boys?  johnny "lam" and johnny "ham"?

johnny "lam" jones was also on the US olympic track team that took home gold in some sprints and relays.  i was into track as well as football. the guy could smoke the field at times.
Those were the names that stuck out in my mind but were they really both Johnny?  I mostly remember Lam and Ham.

MiHogsMi

Just because they were the Texas Longhorns was reason enough for me.  Nothing specific, just had my head on straight.   ;D

However, seeing Nolan Richardson screw with Sweet Tom Penders was always great.  Mods move to jump ball if necessary!! (See what I did there)?

:razorback:
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 13, 2014, 10:51:26 am
skoal, brotha!....

Roosevelt Leaks just KILLED us. He was the star Texas RB just before Campbell, and ran wild against the Hogs. Wishbone FB, just gashed us.

Reality was that our program was down, and the Horns were still riding high.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: rlamb on December 14, 2014, 03:47:32 am

In the 100th anniversary of college football, SI named Nobis as the MLB on its all-time college team.

Hawk

I lived on the border of our great state and texass. I couldn't even bring myself to date a girl, any girl, that liked the shorthorns. Even to this day, if I was still dating, I couldn't. Go Hogs!!! :razorback:

EastexHawg

I've gotten to know Cotton Speyrer, Texas' two-time All-American receiver from the Big Shootout days.  He's a nice guy who always talks Arkansas football with me and is very complimentary of the Hogs.

Earl Campbell is the greatest power runner I've ever seen and seems like a truly nice guy.  And...I'll always have the utmost admiration, bordering on affection, for Darrell Royal.  Frank Broyles loved Coach Royal so I see no reason why I should have ill will for him.

Pudgepork

Quote from: oldhawg on December 15, 2014, 11:13:50 am
Not the players, but the James Street to Randy Peschal pass has to be the most hated play in Razorback history.

yeah and that pass play smu ran against the hogs that resulted in one of many bogus calls against the hogs has to be 2nd.    Its amazing that the hogs held their own against one of the highest paid teams in college football history.  The Hogs had some talent but smu was loaded with highly paid players.   It cost the university more ways than one.
The loss of revenue to that university due to the death penalty has been incredible