Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss Gives Hugh Freeze a $1 Million Raise

Started by WilsonHog, December 13, 2014, 09:53:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Ole Miss has given Hugh Freeze a $1 million raise, to a base salary of around $4.3 million a year.

For comparison, Kevin Sumlin is making around $5 million a year, and Nick Saban around $7 million. Should put Freeze around #3 in the SEC. Coach Bielema is ninth.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/2014-sec-coaching-salaries/

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 13, 2014, 09:53:29 am
Ole Miss has given Hugh Freeze a $1 million raise, to a base salary of around $4.3 million a year.

For comparison, Kevin Sumlin is making around $5 million a year, and Nick Saban around $7 million. Should put Freeze around #3 in the SEC. Coach Bielema is ninth.

Well, it's obvious, you get what you pay for..........

Doug

Quote from: ricepigWell, it's obvious, you get what you pay for..........
... and YOU get a shut out... and YOU get a shut out... lather, wash, rinse, repeat. ;)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ldfergu

One millllion dollars

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Hogfather

PigTimePlayer

wow . . . Jimmy Sexton is a magician. 4.3 million for Hugh Freeze, yeesh.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

pfrg999

CBB will be in that class very soon... at least top 5 in SEC... Winning first Raise 2nd... Pay the assistants (and grab a QB coach) just my humble opinion
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

texas tush hog

Bielema could be making more, but self limited himself for his asst coaches pool. That will change when he starts winning 8-10 games a year, and DWRRS tickets become a hot commodity, which will probably happen next year. After that, Bielema will jump to 4-5 mill a year, and the asst coaches pool will also increase accordingly. Ticket sales will increase, as will donations. More income, more coaches pay, logical equation. Doubt that Brett has to play the pay increase game like Freeze, Mullen and Miles, Jeffie will just do it, to make sure he is happy, and here forever.

WilsonHog

I don't begrudge any of them a nickel. Get what you can get, I say.

But step back and think about it...we live in a country where a man can make himself $5 or $6 million a year by coaching football. A man could wake up any day of the year and say to himself, "I think I've had enough of this whole working thing. I'm out," and be comfortable for the rest of his life.

The Boar War

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 13, 2014, 10:18:41 am
CBB will be in that class very soon... at least top 5 in SEC... Winning first Raise 2nd... Pay the assistants (and grab a QB coach) just my humble opinion

It's not that we can't afford a qb coach.  We only have a number of coaching positions available.  We've chosen to let Chaney double up as qb coach and OC.

texas tush hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 13, 2014, 10:23:57 am
I don't begrudge any of them a nickel. Get what you can get, I say.

But step back and think about it...we live in a country where a man can make himself $5 or $6 million a year by coaching football. A man could wake up any day of the year and say to himself, "I think I've had enough of this whole working thing. I'm out," and be comfortable for the rest of his life.

Up to a point, I think you hit the nail on the head with Bielema, my sources tell me, and don't ask, but that Jeffie told him the going rate for a coach of his stature could command $5 million a year, but Brett said there was only so much a man can spend, so give him $3.2 mil a year and put the rest in the asst coaches pool and he would make it up down the road after he earned it. True or not, this is close enough to the truth that I am certain of, to tell you why I love this man, though I have yet to meet him, just some of his coaches.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 13, 2014, 10:47:06 am
Up to a point I think you hit the nail on the head with Bielema, my sources tell me, and don't ask, but that Jeffie told him the going rate for a coach of his stature could command $5 million a year but Brett said there was only so much a man can spend so give him $3.2 mil a year and put the rest in the asst coaches pool and he would make it up down the road after he earned it. True or not, this is close enough to the truth tat I am certain of, to tell you why I love this man, though I have yet to meet him, just some of his coaches.

So, our AD was trying to pay him more? He must have learned this tactic from Gearhart. Now, I like all three of the gentlemen, but you don't set that bar too high to start off. I do agree that he could have started off at Petrino's $3.8mil, but $5mil??

Choctaw Hog

Nice.  Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they give Nutt a raise as well? 

Hogarusa

It wont be long before every coach in the SEC is making $4 million a year with all the money rolling in.  And the athletes pay for free, 1 injury away from their career being over before they could earn a living
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 10:50:37 am
So, our AD was trying to pay him more? He must have learned this tactic from Gearhart. Now, I like all three of the gentlemen, but you don't set that bar too high to start off. I do agree that he could have started off at Petrino's $3.8mil, but $5mil??

Not that he offered him $5mil, but that was what the market was, for coaches with his record of success. That is, after all what Texas started Strong off at, and he did not have three Rose Bowls in his hip pocket, nor did Petrino. I doubt that anybody in a position to do so, will confirm or deny my rumor so I will let it stand.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 13, 2014, 10:56:44 am
It wont be long before every coach in the SEC is making $4 million a year with all the money rolling in.  And the athletes pay for free, 1 injury away from their career being over before they could earn a living

I'm sick and tired of all this pay the players junk. They DO get compensated. MOST players KNOW they have a slim if not zero chance of making the pros. Most realize they need to get a degree.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogfaniam

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 13, 2014, 10:47:06 am
Up to a point, I think you hit the nail on the head with Bielema, my sources tell me, and don't ask, but that Jeffie told him the going rate for a coach of his stature could command $5 million a year, but Brett said there was only so much a man can spend, so give him $3.2 mil a year and put the rest in the asst coaches pool and he would make it up down the road after he earned it. True or not, this is close enough to the truth that I am certain of, to tell you why I love this man, though I have yet to meet him, just some of his coaches.

That a man can spend...yeah...but then there's the woman...
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 13, 2014, 11:01:44 am

Which is NEVER enough $..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 13, 2014, 11:00:46 am
Not that he offered him $5mil, but that was what the market was, for coaches with his record of success. That is, after all what Texas started Strong off at, and he did not have three Rose Bowls in his hip pocket, nor did Petrino. I doubt that anybody in a position to do so, will confirm or deny my rumor so I will let it stand.

I don't think you can compare our athletic budget and Texas's, but I do think we got him a little cheap. However, he chose to have a big buyout if let go, and a small one if he chose to leave early.

HF#1

In the grand scheme of things, it's really kind of sad that a football coach is more revered than other professions in this country. 

If a 100K people showed up for an ESPN televised English class, I wonder how much the professor would make?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

texas tush hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2014, 11:02:41 am
Which is NEVER enough $..............
Quote from: hoginator on December 13, 2014, 11:07:12 am
I guaranhogtee you Jen can spend it...
Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 13, 2014, 11:01:44 am

The MegaMillions is currently $117mill and my neighbor told me this morning, "you know, nobody can spend that much money in a lifetime," to which I replied, "Au Contrere my dear sir, my wife could spend half of it in a Walmart in six months."

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 13, 2014, 10:56:44 am
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2014, 11:01:44 am
I'm sick and tired of all this pay the players junk. They DO get compensated. MOST players KNOW they have a slim if not zero chance of making the pros. Most realize they need to get a degree.

5yrs of No want for food and a warm/cool place to sleep.  Free use of some of the best exercise equipment/facilities in the world.  A whole campus of honeys/dudes (if that's your thing). Free tutors.  Free education.  Expense stipends. Sweet.

Now, that said, I don't have a problem with them making money off their likeness, so long as they pay the standard fee to the university for pimping the Hog logo.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 13, 2014, 12:13:22 pm
More to the point, an overwhelming majority of people playing college football have no business on a college campus given their academic backgrounds.   They should be thankful they are living on a college campus for free.

Wrong. MOST college athletes have little trouble academically. I've known quite a few. Are there some that struggle absolutely but so do a lot of regular non athlete students as well. I will say athletes that need it deserve tutoring due to their time restraints because of their sport.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 11:08:22 am
I don't think you can compare our athletic budget and Texas's, but I do think we got him a little cheap. However, he chose to have a big buyout if let go, and a small one if he chose to leave early.
Texas is #3, Arkansas is #6 in spending department wide.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Calling All Hogs

Its amazing how much money Freeze made off winning the Miss State game because I didn't hear any talk of a raise for him right after the Arkansas game.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 13, 2014, 02:46:09 pm
Its amazing how much money Freeze made off winning the Miss State game because I didn't hear any talk of a raise for him right after the Arkansas game.

Fortunately for him, the discussed the raise after the Bama game, that one with made him millions.

go hogues

Got to hand it to OM and MSU. Those two schools are doing more with less than just about anyone in the nation.
I can only imagine what their AD's could do at a place like Texas or USC.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

redeye

So, we now pay our head coach the 9th highest salary in the SEC.  I recently saw where our assistant salaries were similarly ranked.  In contrast, Petrino once made more then everyone but Saban and Miles, IIRC.

We're falling behind the Jones' and can afford to pay more, but I hope it goes to the assistants.  I know they're already supposed to receive an increase, but we don't need to be cheap with our assistants.  Especially when we have a head coach who's generous enough to accept less so his assistants will make more.

go hogues

It does make you wonder what we're doing with all of that tv money?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Mike Irwin

Quote from: go hogues on December 13, 2014, 03:35:19 pm
It does make you wonder what we're doing with all of that tv money?
Football Operations Center. Basketball practice facility. Baseball indoor practice building. Academic/dining facility.

Up next: Football north endzone project.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 13, 2014, 03:41:16 pm
Football Operations Center. Basketball practice facility. Baseball indoor practice building. Academic/dining facility.

Correct, you don't pay for $70mil worth of facilities in one year, plus increase coaching staff, administrative, and support staff.

redeye

We're certainly spending a lot of it, but I've seen numbers in the past showing us spending less of our profits on facilities/salaries/recruiting then other SEC schools.  I don't know if that's common, but I'm interested in your opinion on whether you think we're spending enough?

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on December 13, 2014, 05:44:55 pm
We're certainly spending a lot of it, but I've seen numbers in the past showing us spending less of our profits on facilities/salaries/recruiting then other SEC schools.  I don't know if that's common, but I'm interested in your opinion on whether you think we're spending enough?

We have the second?? highest recruiting budget to TN, I believe. We are mid-pack I believe on salaries, and facilities have been on going for years.

CDBHawg

And he's not done anything Houston Nutt didn't accomplish there.

I realize he could win his 10th game this year, but he got his raise beforehand.

HF#1

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 13, 2014, 05:53:59 pm

I realize he could win his 10th game this year, but he got his raise beforehand.

That's what amazes me.  If anything, with that defense, they should have won more than they did. 

Ole Miss and Mississippi State both had big late year let downs.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

redeye

December 13, 2014, 06:11:03 pm #37 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:30:59 pm by redeye
Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 05:50:18 pm
We have the second?? highest recruiting budget to TN, I believe. We are mid-pack I believe on salaries, and facilities have been on going for years.

We've had the 2nd highest recruiting budget at some point in the past, but I'm not sure that's consistent.  We're currently around 9th in coaching salaries, according to all the recent data I've seen.

Regardless of all that, I'm just curious if we're spending enough of our profits on football, because I've seen data in the past that would indicate others are spending more of their profits.  I don't know if we are or we're not, but just asking.

Hogfaniam

It can't happen fast enough.  Any chance for setbacks in the lower bowl, at least?

Granny fan

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 13, 2014, 05:53:59 pm

Went to a BCS level bowl.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Worth every penny. Went from 14-game losing streak to BCS-level bowl in less than three years, plus high level recruiting. Pretty good job if you ask me.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pig Worshipper

Gosh, I might give up an extra million for a Tastee Freeze but not for a Hugh Freeze (and, no, I'm not Houston Nutt).

CDBHawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 13, 2014, 10:25:02 pm
Went to a BCS level bowl.

The CFP vs the BCS benefited Freeze.

BCS only allowed 2 teams from the same conference.

But, yeah.

jkstock04

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 13, 2014, 10:26:47 pm
Worth every penny. Went from 14-game losing streak to BCS-level bowl in less than three years, plus high level recruiting. Pretty good job if you ask me.
Some of the comments on this thread are comical and full of hilarity....yet amazingly predictable. OF COURSE said coach isnt "worth it" cause he's not our coach.

Going off the top of my head under Hugh Freeze...playing in the SEC west:

2012: 7 wins
2013: 8 wins
2014: 9 wins

If Bielema ever gets the Razorbacks to this level he will get a hefty raise as well...and everyone here will say it's beyond worth it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ronmahony

I have a feeling coach is ok with the money for now, if not he could have used the Nebraska rumors for leverage. Course he just doesn't  feel like the kind of a coach that would pull that to me. I have a feeling he will be making that kind of money next year . He does have me scratching my head at times, as in the second  quarter against Mo.i do feel like we need to give the DC a good raise. I know other teams have bound to have noticed the improvement in our defense.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Atlhogfan1

This is not the same level of accomplishment as making a BCS bowl.  Close. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

popcornhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2014, 11:01:44 am

I'm sure the players are sick and tired of it too.

In the free market, if they were allowed to play NFL ball -- the very best players would be making millions now. The rest could get paid (less money) if the equivalent of college football existed outside of college.

You're right though, they do currently get paid the equivalent of a solid middle class living + a degree. The reason that many folks find that disturbing is that the players are earning the schools millions.
WPS