Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In football, if you could pick any team from any conference to play each year as a rival, who would

Started by Sportster365, December 12, 2014, 02:14:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

geauxhawgs

HF#1

Would love to play Texas, home and home, every single season...  Just do a 30 year contract
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

porkulus

Living in the Fort Smith area I would have to say OU.  So many delusional OU fans in these parts thumping their chest after a 9 or 10 win season when they may play one good team all year.  Would love the chance to hand their a$$ to them yearly.

redeye

Believe it or not, one team I'd like to see us play is Arkansas State.  It would be fun and I don't buy into all the excuses for why we don't play them.

Quote from: hogsanity on December 14, 2014, 07:03:50 pm
Any team NOT from Texas.

Yea?  Which one?

HammusArkansus

I'm going with the U of Houston.  Can't say it's a 'rent-a-win', but in most years, it should not be a problem.  Additional game in Texas should help recruiting, especially in the Houston area.  We used to get some pretty good talent from south Texas until we went SEC.  IMHO, to be competitive year in and year out, the Texas recruiting pipeline needs to be wide open.

pigheaded

My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: redeye on December 14, 2014, 08:30:21 pm
Believe it or not, one team I'd like to see us play is Arkansas State.  It would be fun and I don't buy into all the excuses for why we don't play them.

Yea?  Which one?

Ohio St.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

East Clintwood

Texas

or Miami for recruiting

Tennessee should be our regular east division opponent.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hawgzinbowlz

1. SEC West...oh, wait
2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Miami
5. OU
6. USC
7. Oregon
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan
10. Florida State
1. SEC West...it doesn't get any better than this...week after week...after...

" GO HOGS "

WriterWrong

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 12, 2014, 05:41:08 pm
Texas. And there isn't a close second.

Agreed whole heartedly.

We do play games in Texas already. But, beating Texas Tech and/or Texas A&M aren't the same as beating the shorthorns.

Beating Texas in Texas bigger for recruiting than beating both Tech and A&M.

And, we should all hate the shorthorns anyway.

Sportster365

Interesting. I was expecting to see a lot more tier 2 level P5 conf. teams.  Although I think there are a few struggling tier 1 teams who would love to add a SEC W opponent like Arkansas to there schedule each year to perhaps spruce it up a bit for the committee.

I don't know I just thought a good tier 2 team like Wisconsin (who has no legitimate in/state or out/state rival) might take playing us a little more seriously.

Seeing as how Florida and Florida St. now likely hold the biggest rivalry in Florida... playing Miami wouldn't be too far fetched.

Penn. St could likely be another. The Ohio St./Michigan game is much bigger than Penn vs tOSU/Michigan.  And do the people of Pennsylvania really consider Penn. St vs Pitt a rivalry?

And then there's Stanford. A quality team with no legitimate P5 rival.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

rickm1976

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 12, 2014, 05:41:08 pm
Texas. And there isn't a close second.

You saved me from having to type it.  The only second to them would be OU, but they're not even close.

Youngsta71701

1. Texas- Old Rivalry + Recruiting
2. Florida State- Recruiting
3. LSU- Rivalry + Recruiting
4. USC- Recruiting
5. Notre Dame- Pure dislike...I just can't stand how they try to put them on a pedestal.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

phadedhawg

1.  Arkansas State
2.  Notre Dame
3.  Washington (I live in Seattle and would love to see the Hogs up here)
4.  Miami

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 15, 2014, 03:21:03 pm
Interesting. I was expecting to see a lot more tier 2 level P5 conf. teams.  Although I think there are a few struggling tier 1 teams who would love to add a SEC W opponent like Arkansas to there schedule each year to perhaps spruce it up a bit for the committee.

I don't know I just thought a good tier 2 team like Wisconsin (who has no legitimate in/state or out/state rival) might take playing us a little more seriously.

Seeing as how Florida and Florida St. now likely hold the biggest rivalry in Florida... playing Miami wouldn't be too far fetched.

Penn. St could likely be another. The Ohio St./Michigan game is much bigger than Penn vs tOSU/Michigan.  And do the people of Pennsylvania really consider Penn. St vs Pitt a rivalry?

And then there's Stanford. A quality team with no legitimate P5 rival.

Stanford v. Cal is not the biggest rivalry but it isn't slouchy either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

oldhawg

Pig In The City

Wildhog

Would much rather be spending our time and resources in S Florida than in Texas.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tusks

OU, the land grabbers, because THAT'S who the Hogs compete with for recruits out of Texas.

Plus I hate their arse.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Sportster365

In all honesty, there's simply no better matchup for us other than the Battle for the Boot against LSU.

No matter how either fanbase tries to dismiss it, there's no way around it. Like us, LSU has no legitimate rival. Alabama's premier rival is Auburn. Florida's is FSU and A&Ms will always be Texas. LSU fans who think Alabama and Florida fans view them as bigger rivals than Auburn and FSU are delusional.

As for us and Mootsouri, even after them beating us this year I could care less about playing them every year or even revenging our loss against them.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 12, 2014, 03:36:37 pm
1. USC
2. Miami
3. Oklahoma
4. Texas
5. Notre Dame

We owe some of these teams a good, regular beating....

Nailed my top 5 too..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Torqued pork

Bama...twice a year. Maybe with a long enough string of losses against them they would lose their status as Hogville's second favorite SEC team.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 16, 2014, 10:44:18 am
In all honesty, there's simply no better matchup for us other than the Battle for the Boot against LSU.

No matter how either fanbase tries to dismiss it, there's no way around it. Like us, LSU has no legitimate rival. Alabama's premier rival is Auburn. Florida's is FSU and A&Ms will always be Texas. LSU fans who think Alabama and Florida fans view them as bigger rivals than Auburn and FSU are delusional.

As for us and Mootsouri, even after them beating us this year I could care less about playing them every year or even revenging our loss against them.

Well said. Boom!

Ben

If everyone is that focused on recruiting, then 1 ideal state to be rivals with is some of the bama schools. Bama athletes are always overlooked by arkansas
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

rlamb

Notre Dame and Texas in every alternating year if possible.
Then cupcakes but still with a major name like Indiana, Purdue, Oregon State,
Syracuse, NC State and etc.