Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to vote for the CFB #PlayOfTheYear

Started by MrKnowItAll, December 11, 2014, 09:05:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/105392/time-to-vote-for-the-cfb-play-of-the-year

Narrowing the choices down from dozens of great candidates to four was not easy, but the finalists for college football play of the year have been made, and now it's your turn to decide which wins.

Jog your memory by watching and reading about the memorable plays below, then cast a vote for your favorite by tweeting the hashtag #PlayOfTheYear with the school's name. (#PlayOfTheYear Arkansas, #PlayOfTheYear Kansas, #PlayOfTheYear LSU or #PlayOfTheYear Nebraska.)

Based on your tweets, the winner will be announced during Thursday's Home Depot College Football Awards Show (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET).

Trick play turns into a big-guy touchdown pass

The play: In a game against UAB on Oct. 25, Arkansas attempted a fourth-and-goal play on which it lined up Sebastian Tretola under center. Tretola is a 6-foot-5, 350-pound offensive lineman. And he threw it to a ... wait for it ... long snapper. It was a proud moment for big guys everywhere, including former Kentucky QB Jared Lorenzen.

CabotHog87

If we had won the game I think Irwin-Hill's fake punt TD would've been the play of the year.. might still should be on there anyway. That was awesome. Or Gaines' INT return.

josh_sec33

voted.

and we need to get some votes out there.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

urkillnmesmalls

That's cool that Tretola's pass made the list.  Nice. 

Can someone tell me why Fournette can lower his helmet and lead with it and nothing is mentioned, but when a defender does it...it's targeting, 15 yards, an ejection, and they have to sit out half of the next game? 

I guess I don't understand, because that's every bit as dangerous for both players.  I guess it stems from the "defenseless" definition, but I still think it's a double standard that needs to be looked at. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2014, 01:30:38 pm
That's cool that Tretola's pass made the list.  Nice. 

Can someone tell me why Fournette can lower his helmet and lead with it and nothing is mentioned, but when a defender does it...it's targeting, 15 yards, an ejection, and they have to sit out half of the next game? 

I guess I don't understand, because that's every bit as dangerous for both players.  I guess it stems from the "defenseless" definition, but I still think it's a double standard that needs to be looked at. 

yeah, the defenseless is it. To go beyond that would be the end of football.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 11, 2014, 01:40:46 pm
yeah, the defenseless is it. To go beyond that would be the end of football.

We can agree to disagree...I'm cool with that.  I think the end of football is more likely to come if they don't continue to take measures to eliminate some of the extreme violence, such as the head hunting hits.  We're already seeing a trend toward parents either forbidding, or discouraging their children from playing, and most of it stems from head trauma. 

I knew the rule's interpretation would be subjective, and that they wouldn't always get it right.  But it's not going anywhere and the head hunting hits aren't going to come back any time soon, just like the Flying Wedge and the Clothesline aren't.

The restrictions will continue to fall on the defensive side of the ball, and score averages will go up as a result.  That's what most fans prefer anyway, so I don't see taking even more measures to prevent the use of the helmet as a weapon as doing anything but helping the game long term.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.