Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas

Started by hawgfan4life, December 10, 2014, 09:41:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

It seems we have claims AR is more talented than Texas and many seem to think we should win vs Texas.  Why?  Minus last year, Texas has dominated us in recruiting rankings.  Texas wasn't half the dumpster fire rebuild that AR has been.  Texas has all kinds of tradition and success as a program.

We might be more talented in certain positions but not likely as a team.  They are bowl eligible same as us and our record the past few years doesn't dictate a should win game.

Seems like we don't fare very well in these games we feel like we should win.  Georgia was a win, Mizzou was the most likely win four games from end of season, Clemson was a sure win in BB.

I like our chances but I don't see them as being better than Texas chances.  Congrats to hogs for reaching a bowl.  Anything more is gravy!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 10, 2014, 09:41:31 pm
It seems we have claims AR is more talented than Texas and many seem to think we should win vs Texas.  Why?  Minus last year, Texas has dominated us in recruiting rankings.  Texas wasn't half the dumpster fire rebuild that AR has been.  Texas has all kinds of tradition and success as a program.

We might be more talented in certain positions but not likely as a team.  They are bowl eligible same as us and our record the past few years doesn't dictate a should win game.

Seems like we don't fare very well in these games we feel like we should win.  Georgia was a win, Mizzou was the most likely win four games from end of season, Clemson was a sure win in BB.

I like our chances but I don't see them as being better than Texas chances.  Congrats to hogs for reaching a bowl.  Anything more is gravy!

Did you happen to catch them trying to play offense this season?  I think their defense will probably do pretty well at keeping us from scoring, but their offense will struggle mightily against our defense, and I bet they don't score more than 14 points, if that.  They are about as inept as it gets offensively. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Ā 

reddogjcss

Any team can beat you on any given game day! Do not take any team litely! Lace shoe strings tight and play smash mouth football.

Hoggish1

No game was ever won on a message board.  Got to prepare and execute   them...

Dr. Starcs

I expect texas to pull out all the stops to try and score points and win this game.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 10, 2014, 10:08:08 pm
I expect texas to pull out all the stops to try and score points and win this game.
as long as they can score in the second half, they have a helluva chance

PP

BENTON PIGGEE

Meh schedule.

Meh results.

8/30/2014  North Texas W 38-7  Box Score  Austin, Texas Longhorn Network presented by Southwest Airlines Details 
9/6/2014  BYU L 7-41  Box Score  Austin, Texas FOX Sports 1 presented by St. David's HealthCare Details 
9/13/2014  UCLA L 17-20  Box Score  Arlington, Texas FOX The AdvoCare Cowboys Showdown Details 
9/27/2014  Kansas W 23-0  Box Score  Lawrence, Kan. FOX Sports 1   Details 
10/4/2014  Baylor L 7-28  Box Score  Austin, Texas ABC presented by H-E-B Details 
10/11/2014  Oklahoma L 26-31  Box Score  Dallas, Texas ABC AT&T Red River Showdown Details 
10/18/2014  Iowa State W 48-45  Box Score  Austin, Texas Longhorn Network presented by Longhorn Network Details 
10/25/2014  Kansas State L 0-23  Box Score  Manhattan, Kan. ESPN   Details 
11/1/2014  Texas Tech W 34-13  Box Score  Lubbock, Texas FOX Sports 1   Details 
11/8/2014  West Virginia W 33-16  Box Score  Austin, Texas FOX Sports 1 presented by YP Details 
11/15/2014  Oklahoma State W 28-7  Box Score  Stillwater, Okla. FOX   Details 
11/27/2014  TCU L 10-48  Box Score  Austin, Texas FOX Sports 1 presented by AT&T Details 
12/29/2014  Arkansas 8 p.m.  Houston, Texas ESPN   Details 

The real Hogules

I understand that we're both 6-6, but the difference lies in who we defeated and lost Vs. who they won and lost to.
While no football game is an automatic W, the level of competition that we played is far superior to that of the Longhorns.
I REALLY like our chances of winning this game.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

goodguytex

We came within one point of beating the team that will probably win the NC. They got blown out by BYU, Kansas State and TCU. We got blown out by no one really.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 10, 2014, 09:41:31 pm

They might have more individual talent as far as recruiting rankings go but we have the better TEAM.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

rzrbackrob

People who put their money where their mouth is think the Hogs will win by 6 or more points
Good is the enemy of great

Redhogs

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 10, 2014, 10:10:06 pm
as long as they can score in the second half, they have a helluva chance

PP
Well played... ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ldfergu

Both teams have plenty of time to prepare and watch film. I feel we've played well against teams similar to Texas but think this game will go down to the wire

Ā 

lahawg1

Question, we know Texass has an inept offense. Is their O worse than LSWho's O?

MuskogeeHogFan

December 11, 2014, 07:58:43 am #14 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:11:50 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 10, 2014, 09:54:01 pm
Did you happen to catch them trying to play offense this season?  I think their defense will probably do pretty well at keeping us from scoring, but their offense will struggle mightily against our defense, and I bet they don't score more than 14 points, if that.  They are about as inept as it gets offensively. 

For what it is worth, comparison's are fairly equal in terms of results based on averages over the past 7 P-5 opponents that each team has faced.

Here is our Offense vs. their Defense.

Arkansas        Texas
                          Offense        Defense
Rush Att                  40               34
Rush Yds                 153             136
Rush P/Att               3.8              4.0
Rush TD's P/Gm         1.4              1.4
Fumbles                   1.1              0.7
Pass Att                  32.9            37.7
Pass Compl              17.6            24.0
Compl %                  53.5            63.6
Pass Yds                 204.7          223.1
Per Att                     6.2             5.9
Per Compl                11.7             9.3
Pass TD's P/Gm          1.1             1.0
INT's                        .57             .71

SOS                      #1-.681     #41-.549
Go Hogs Go!

DoctorSusscrofa

Both teams should play well and be motivated. The winner ends up with a winning record and the loser doesn't.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DeltaBoy

QB play BA is better than Swoop.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

For what it is worth, comparison's are fairly equal in terms of results based on averages over the past 7 P-5 opponents that each team has faced.

And here is our Defense vs. their Offense.

Arkansas         Texas
                          Defense        Offense
Rush Att                 34.1             39.3
Rush Yds                113.6           158.9
Rush P/Att               3.3               4.0
Rush TD's P/Gm         .86               1.7
Fumbles                   1.1               0.9
Pass Att                  29.7             32.3
Pass Compl              15.7             18.9
Compl %                  52.9             58.4
Pass Yds                 237.4           231.1
Per Att                     8.0              7.2
Per Compl                15.7             18.9
Pass TD's P/Gm          1.3               1.1
INT's                        1.0               1.0

SOS                      #1-.681     #41-.549
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

Of course those stats texas has came against mostly big 12 competition. Would they have those same stats playing arkansas schedule? I think not.

DeltaBoy

Yep Texas stats are off cause they play in the Big 12 and NO ONE Runs the ball like WE DO!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2014, 09:52:32 am
Of course those stats texas has came against mostly big 12 competition. Would they have those same stats playing arkansas schedule? I think not.

Thus, the notation of the SOS as a qualifier.
Go Hogs Go!

GalaHawg

We beat LSU 17-0 - but what if we played them in New Orleans at Super Dome?

This game has a similar scenario. Texas is most similar to LSU out of the teams we played this season and we are playing them in a dome that is very close to their campus.

code red

If we don't make TO's and don't accumulate more than 7 penalties...we win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 11, 2014, 10:06:47 am
We beat LSU 17-0 - but what if we played them in New Orleans at Super Dome?

This game has a similar scenario. Texas is most similar to LSU out of the teams we played this season and we are playing them in a dome that is very close to their campus.
I'm not worried about a home field advantage.  Our Dallas Hogs are going to show up in a big way for this one, along with a good number of in state fans.  It's our first Bowl Game since 2011.  I think our fans and our team show up hungry and with a chip on their shoulder.  With a healthy BA we beat Missouri at their house.  We know it and the team knows it.  This team will be ready to get that taste out of their mouth and replace it with blood.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Ā 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2014, 09:52:32 am

We all certainly hope you're right. But this game represents 7 wins for the winner and 7 losses for the loser. No telling how pumped either team will be after 3 weeks of preparation.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

A.Ziffle

These two teams only had one common opponent on their schedules this year. That opponent being Texas Tech. Here's a comparison of stats against the Red Raiders for both, Arkansas, and Texass.

Hogs Vs. Red Raiders 9/13/2014 in Lubbock:

HOGS                                                       RED RAIDERS

Score:
49                                                                  28
1st Downs:
32                                                                  30
3rd Down Efficiency:
8-12                                                              8-14
4th Down Efficiency:
2-2                                                                0-1
Total Yards:
499                                                                353
Passing Yards:
61                                                                  252
Comp-Att:
6-12                                                             27-45
Yards Per Pass:
5.1                                                                 5.6
Rushing:
438                                                                101
Rushing Attempts:
68                                                                   22
Yards Per Rush:
6.4                                                                 4.6
Penalties:
2-15                                                              5-60
Turnovers:
2                                                                     3
Fumbles Lost:
2                                                                     1
Interceptions Thrown:
0                                                                     2
TOP:
40:39                                                            19:21

Shorthorns Vs. Red Raiders 11/01/2014 in Lubbock:

SHORTHORNS                                               RED RAIDERS

Score:
34                                                                  13
1st Downs:
21                                                                  18
3rd Down Efficiency:
5-16                                                              8-20
4th Down Efficiency:
1-2                                                                0-2
Total Yards:
469                                                                381
Passing Yards:
228                                                                225
Comp-Att:
13-25                                                            28-47
Yards Per Pass:
9.1                                                                 4.8
Rushing:
241                                                                156
Rushing Attempts:
51                                                                  32
Yards Per Rush:
4.7                                                                 4.9
Penalties:
5-50                                                              6-70
Turnovers:
2                                                                     2
Fumbles Lost:
2                                                                     1
Interceptions Thrown:
0                                                                     1
TOP:
30:45                                                            29:15

Fayettechill14

For those insulting Brandon Allen and claiming "we don't have a quarterback," I suggest you watch the product Texas trots out on December 29. You might revise your description of Allen...

The real Hogules

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 11, 2014, 05:17:32 pm
For those insulting Brandon Allen and claiming "we don't have a quarterback," I suggest you watch the product Texas trots out on December 29. You might revise your description of Allen...

The one difference that is in Swopes (SP?) favor is his ability to scramble.
Brandon hasn't shown the ability, nor the desire to tuck the ball and run with it when his blocking breaks down, or his receivers are well covered.
In most situations like I described above he gets out of the pocket and unloads it into about the 4th row. No loss, but also no gain.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 11, 2014, 06:07:27 pm
The one difference that is in Swopes (SP?) favor is his ability to scramble.
Brandon hasn't shown the ability, nor the desire to tuck the ball and run with it when his blocking breaks down, or his receivers are well covered.
In most situations like I described above he gets out of the pocket and unloads it into about the 4th row. No loss, but also no gain.

You're correct. Swoopes isn't a great scrambler, but he can. BA's easily a better passer right now, though. He has a higher QBR, higher passer rating, and half the interceptions (10 to 5) despite facing significantly better defenses.

hawgfan4life

I didn't say we can't win, but I implied it is not a sure thing.  They got better toward the end of the season and they have a lot of time to get prepared.  They may not be Texas we used to know for the whole season but they are talented enough and coached well enough by Strong to be that good for one game.  We go 6 wins, half this board wants the OC, the other half wants the QB replaced, and nobody believed our offense was very effective against top teams.  Now, suddenly, we are world beaters and Texas is like playing Vanderbilt.

Hilarious!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2014, 09:55:29 am
Yep Texas stats are off cause they play in the Big 12 and NO ONE Runs the ball like WE DO!

I'm not saying that Texas can't run the football, because you can obviously see their numbers above.

But I'll say this in regard to your statement, out of the top 30 rushing teams in the nation, 8 belong to the SEC and out of the top 30 rush defenses, 8 belong to the SEC. The next nearest conferences are the ACC and the Big Ten, with 6 each in each category, both of which have 14 teams, just like the SEC.

So yeah, we not only know rushing offense, but we know rush defense as well. One verifies the other.

By the way, the Big 12 has 4 teams in the top 30 in rushing and 4 in the top 30 in rush defense, so there is that.
Go Hogs Go!

A.Ziffle

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 11, 2014, 06:39:35 pm
I didn't say we can't win, but I implied it is not a sure thing.  They got better toward the end of the season and they have a lot of time to get prepared.  They may not be Texas we used to know for the whole season but they are talented enough and coached well enough by Strong to be that good for one game.  We go 6 wins, half this board wants the OC, the other half wants the QB replaced, and nobody believed our offense was very effective against top teams.  Now, suddenly, we are world beaters and Texas is like playing Vanderbilt.

Hilarious!

We may very well get beat by Texas. I'm not predicting a win nor am I predicting a loss. I like this matchup compared to what I've seen from the Longhorns this season and what I've seen from the Hogs against some big time programs this year.

This 6-6 Arkansas team is more dangerous than the Longhorns at 6-6. If you can't see that by looking at who we have played and who Texas has played, and the outcome of those games, then I'm not sure what to tell you. The reason so many people are so sure we win this game is based on these stats.

Is it a guaranteed win? Of course not. But, I like our chances.

JIHawg

The swagger is gone.  The arrogance has  been supplanted with a resignation that their recent coaching hire is unproven and unlikely.   He doesn't wear the boots of Texas past.  Everything has changed.  For the first time in their program's history, there is uncertainty.  Doubt.  Lack of confidenceS.  Change.  For better or worse-who knows?

Strong is a good coach-no doubt.  The question is-is he a good fit for Texas?   Is he capable of carrying on the tradition of Texas selecting the top 25 recruits in state, or has TAM, with its SEC stamp, been able to cut into that historical Texas lock of the top players in the top producing state of college football players? 

Is there a chink in the armour-like Notre Dame?  Is there a changing of the guard?  Darrell Royal could select the players he wanted, and have a national championship class.  Charlie Strong does not have the same advantage.  He has to fight for the group that Royal got automatically.  The playing field has changed.  Charlie Strong will have to adjust, adapt, and work much harder than his predisessors.   This is not your Daddy's Texas.   

Texas is just not what it used to be.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

BaconGrease

I not only approved of this post but thoroughly enjoyed it.   ::hornsdown::

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: JIHawg on December 13, 2014, 12:26:14 am

Texas is just not what it used to be.
Like to think we had a little to do with that (by leaving the conference).

Still want to beat them like they are the same old Texas.  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

jgphillips3

Texas used to own Texas.  A&M, Baylor and TCU are all making a lot of noise now.  It will be harder and harder for Texas to be the team it once was in dominance, but they can still be a great team.  They will never again automatically own the entire State though.

The real Hogules

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 13, 2014, 12:51:03 am
Texas used to own Texas.  A&M, Baylor and TCU are all making a lot of noise now.  It will be harder and harder for Texas to be the team it once was in dominance, but they can still be a great team.  They will never again automatically own the entire State though.
Never say never.
The correct hire and Texas could suddenly be large and back in charge of not only the little 12, but all of college football.
The state of Texas produces a wealth of D-1A talent and UT use to get the cream of the crop.
While I enjoy seeing Texass wallowing in mediocrity, I know in the back of my mind that the worm will turn again, eventually.

redeye

I don't think it's been my daddy's Texas since we destroyed them in 1981.  Texas never seemed the same after that.  I think Akers helped us destroy them from the inside-out.

They obviously had some good teams in the '00's, but that was short lived in my mind.  I think Strong will bring them back to national prominence, if he recruits well.  In addition to regaining the state from A&M, I also think he needs to continue to recruit well in Florida and I'm not sure if he'll do that.

rlreev01

As Texas gets better, you will see the likes of TAMU, Baylor, TCU drop in ability. I believe Texas mediocracy has cause the surge cue of those three programs.

hoglady

Strong will recruit better to Texas than Mack Brown did over the last decade.
Then he will coach them better than Brown ever did.
The Longhorn program you see today falls squarely at the feet of Brown.
If I was Texas fan I would feel better about the program today than anytime over the last few years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porcius Magnus

Their recruiting challenge is much more difficult now.  Baylor has a new stadium and aTm will basically have a new stadium soon after completing their renovations.  Facilities have generally improved throughout the state.  Coaching staffs at competing schools are better than UT and other schools are getting much more national exposure.  Strong will have to work hard to rebuild what he has inherited.  However, having had to work that way in the past vs. the pick and choose method of his predecessors will definitely work to his advantage.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I think they bounce back  --  Unfortunately in my view. Strong is a damn good coach and will put his stamp on the team. He will recruit well to start with and even better as the years pass.  TCU and Baylor are having their day, but I can't see them as long-term successes. Patterson seems happy where he is, but just last year, he was hurting.  Briles probably wants to prove his offensive skills on a bigger stage.  I can see him going to another team with more upside.

In the end, UT and A&M will be the big boys on the Texas recruiting block. And Strong is a better coach than Sumlin in my view, though I really have no hard evidence, yet, to back that statement up.

EFBAB

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 13, 2014, 01:05:23 am
Never say never.
The correct hire and Texas could suddenly be large and back in charge of not only the little 12, but all of college football.
The state of Texas produces a wealth of D-1A talent and UT use to get the cream of the crop.
While I enjoy seeing Texass wallowing in mediocrity, I know in the back of my mind that the worm will turn again, eventually.

I don't see tejas always getting the cream of the crop anymore with the way things are with having TAMU in the SEC and building facilities as good as tejas has. But the bigger thing is no longer does the cream have to go there to be seen and heard with all the games from all the teams being on TV and such now across the country. More exposure is no longer an advantage for them. Plus OU has always gotten some of that cream and always will. In other words I don't see that cream being always concentrated in Austin all the time from now on even with a good coach as long as Tamu, OU and others also have good coaches. Can they get back up and be a power again sure but the competitors are better and players are seeing there is no longer a huge advantage for them to go there versus other places. That being said all it takes is getting the right coach to get them back but Baylor, TCU and others have narrowed that advantage gap and TAMU has damn near if not closed it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porcius Magnus on December 13, 2014, 07:09:50 am
Their recruiting challenge is much more difficult now.  Baylor has a new stadium and aTm will basically have a new stadium soon after completing their renovations.  Facilities have generally improved throughout the state.  Coaching staffs at competing schools are better than UT and other schools are getting much more national exposure.  Strong will have to work hard to rebuild what he has inherited.  However, having had to work that way in the past vs. the pick and choose method of his predecessors will definitely work to his advantage.

Stadiums are good and all but the facilities that really matter to players are the one's they use every day. THAT is why we needed the new Operations Center so much as well as the dining and academic center.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SoonerSooie

Quote from: hoglady on December 13, 2014, 06:49:54 am
Strong will recruit better to Texas than Mack Brown did over the last decade.
Then he will coach them better than Brown ever did.
The Longhorn program you see today falls squarely at the feet of Brown.
If I was Texas fan I would feel better about the program today than anytime over the last few years.

I agree with this assessment. I have been telling my wife sine Texas hired Strong, that folks better get their licks in now-- Kinaa like the Hogs the last two seasons-- because Strong will turn them around, big time! You can already see a marked improvement in their Defense (at times at least). I suspect the Hogs are in for a stout test in the bowl. Hope we can roll them, big time, but, I expect a dogfight.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: redeye on December 13, 2014, 01:42:39 am
I don't think it's been my daddy's Texas since we destroyed them in 1981.  Texas never seemed the same after that.  I think Akers helped us destroy them from the inside-out.

They obviously had some good teams in the '00's, but that was short lived in my mind.  I think Strong will bring them back to national prominence, if he recruits well.  In addition to regaining the state from A&M, I also think he needs to continue to recruit well in Florida and I'm not sure if he'll do that.

The 1981 team went 9-1-1 and beat Bama in the Cotton Bowl and Texas then went a combined 20-2 in the regular seasons of 1982/83 so they obviously recovered well from the beat down in Fayetteville.  Instead, I think it was the David McWilliams tenure that put them in the downward spiral. 

Pig In The City

UT suffers from being in the capital so it has suffered from the politics of the town.  They sat around patting themselves on the back while A&M got busy getting better.  A&M going to the SEC was a killer for Texas and will be for sometime to come.  For most recruits coming out of Texas, they don't remember much of the mystique that surrounded Texas for years.  The problem with the GOBN is that it often doesn't respond to change very well.  Texas is a case in point.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 13, 2014, 12:51:03 am
Texas used to own Texas.  A&M, Baylor and TCU are all making a lot of noise now.  It will be harder and harder for Texas to be the team it once was in dominance, but they can still be a great team. They will never again automatically own the entire State though.

Don't fool yourself... They are Bama west. If they find their Saban look out.
I actually fear they may hire RichRod one of these days, or worse, Art Briles...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rtr

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 13, 2014, 12:31:41 am
texas is metro
This, their president is from Cal-Berkeley, the University has morphed into something that Darrell Royal would not recognize.  They have lost that automatic connection with everyday, average Texans.  They are not the Texas of old.

The more smites the more intelligent I get.