Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conference Championship "Deregulation"--Conference Welfare for Horns, Sooners, Noles

Started by NaturalStateReb, December 10, 2014, 09:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Murr

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 10, 2014, 01:12:26 pm
Those upsets are part of the reason why the Big XII (read Texas and Oklahoma) was content to stay at 10 and kill their conference championship game. 

It's all about the money.

When A&M and Mizzou left, Fox/ESPN agreed to keep the payout the same for the remainder of the TV contract.  Supposedly at the time, there were only two schools who could realistically be added that when splitting the money 10 ways instead of 12 would have added value to the current per team payouts; Notre Dame and Florida State.

Murr

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 10, 2014, 03:37:50 pm
teams outside p5 & independants that would qualify:

air force 32k       
boise st 34k         
cincinnati 32k     
e. carolina 44k   
fresno st  37k     
hawaii 31k           

san diego st 33k   
s. florida  35k       
ucf 42k               

Hawaii might cancel its football program.

Cincinnati's very low attendance during it's final home football game was disturbing to say the least.

Murr

Murr

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 10, 2014, 10:35:42 pm
I still hold out hope for the ridiculously unlikely event that conference raiders hit the B12-2, and on the same day...

Pac12 picks up KS, KState, Baylor and TCU.
B1G picks up Iowa State and somebody (tough with the academic requirements)
SEC picks up OU and OSU.
ACC picks up WVa and somebody (UCF was mentioned somewhere...decent option given not much is left on the shelves).

Suddenly Texas and lil brother Texas Tech are left all alone. But, there is the Longhorn Network.

Hmm, The LHN might be the only thing that saves Texas from its own arrogance.

I would think the ACC is more likely to fall apart than the B12 at this point.  The B12 is getting paid for the better football inventory they have while the ACC will probably need to get an ACC Network just to catch up to the revenue arms race that the P5 (power 5 conferences) are conducting these days.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Murr on December 10, 2014, 11:07:37 pm
Hawaii might cancel its football program.

Cincinnati's very low attendance during it's final home football game was disturbing to say the least.

Hawaii Has to be expensive to operate.

Cincy people may be bored with Tubs.  That and it's tough for FBS teams in an NFL city.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hoghiker

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 10, 2014, 10:16:00 pm
They're not formally excluded, but they are in a practical sense. Any BigXII champion not named Texas or Oklahoma won't get seeded in a 4 team playoff unless they're undefeated. The ideal solution is for the Big XII to add 2 teams and a ccg. But that may not happen soon enough. The rule requiring 12 members in order to split in divisions and have a ccg is arbitrary. If the other conferences found it difficult to get or keep an 11th and 12th member they'd want to scrap the rule just much as the Big XII may want to.  I say let the Big XII split and have a ccg. It will make the criteria and evaluation of teams like Baylor and TCU more fair and equal and help avoid the same 8 or 9 teams being invited to CFP every year. Without this we're likely to see Bama, Ohio St, FSU, and Oregon over and over. Sure, occasionally LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, and Georgia will take a turn, but TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Kansas St can just forget it even if they have a great team. They won't make the playoff with 1 loss without a ccg and neither will any other Big XII team. Everyone knows most of the Big XII's problems are because of Texas and Oklahoma. I for 1 don't want to practically ban an excellent TCU or Baylor from CFP as a consequence of Texas' choice when Texas won't actually suffer a bit. (The next time Texas finally has an 11 win season, they'll be right back in the national title conversation.) College football will be better off if the Big XII champion is in the conversation even if it isn't the Longhorns or Sooners. A 13th game will even the playing field for all 5 of the P5 conferences, regardless of whether that conference has 2 more or 2 less members than 12. And with 5 conferences, the committee can always leave out the weakest champ not just arbitrarily drop the one that didn't play 13 games. No system will be totally 100% fair. But dropping a team 3 spots over their failure to play a ccg when everyone knew the rules didn't allow a 10 team league to play one is silly. There are better ways to eliminate teams than to blame them for obeying the rules. Let them play a ccg and one team gets eliminated, and the champion has a body of work more equal to the other champions. And they can be evaluated more fairly and without unnecessary controversy.
Rules, laws, regulations or two idiots drawing a line in the sand is arbitrary. Here, there, somewhere. The rule was put at twelve. Leagues have meet the standard. Big-Not-Really-12 hasn't. Why are they in this situation. Something the NCAA has done? Nope. They had the numbers but because of the dysfunctional nature of the conference, highly valued members left. Pushed out and away because the conference was birthed, raised and coddled for the UT/OU tantrum throwing members. Rewarding the lousy stewardship of being a major NCAA conference doesn't seem arbitrary to me. It seems unfair to the rest of us.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Murr on December 10, 2014, 10:47:10 pm
It's all about the money.

When A&M and Mizzou left, Fox/ESPN agreed to keep the payout the same for the remainder of the TV contract.  Supposedly at the time, there were only two schools who could realistically be added that when splitting the money 10 ways instead of 12 would have added value to the current per team payouts; Notre Dame and Florida State.

That was my point about how Fox came along and bailed out Texas and Oklahoma for their miserable decision making, leading to the near-breakup of the Big XII.  Now they're looking for another handout, and I think the other conferences should be firmly committed to not giving it to them.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Murr on December 10, 2014, 11:13:26 pm
I would think the ACC is more likely to fall apart than the B12 at this point.  The B12 is getting paid for the better football inventory they have while the ACC will probably need to get an ACC Network just to catch up to the revenue arms race that the P5 (power 5 conferences) are conducting these days.

I disagree.  I think there's more collegiality and trust between the members of the ACC than the Big XII.  They'll hold together as long as they practically can.

The Big XII is like a damp loaf of sugar--still has its original shape, but could dissolve at any moment.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 11, 2014, 09:08:38 am
That was my point about how Fox came along and bailed out Texas and Oklahoma for their miserable decision making, leading to the near-breakup of the Big XII.  Now they're looking for another handout, and I think the other conferences should be firmly committed to not giving it to them.
Couldn't agree more. Texas, however, is the one team that could go independent and thrive. They could, with the right coach, be what Notre Dame used to be. I don't think Strong is the coach to get that done and the one coach who could, Saban, isn't coming. At this point, they are in talks with some mid level universities about expansion. I think that Texas needs to dig in and keep the conference at 10. TCU and Baylor won't stay at the top for a lengthy period, as I expect Briles and/or Patterson will move on to bigger and better things. This will allow for a conference dominance by Texas sooner than later. Thereby making them the de facto Champ and putting them in the playoffs more often than not.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

hog911

Well the SEC west is completely dominate in football, like the east was in basketball, but for some reason it's okay to keep it the way it is in football. Hmmm

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hoghiker on December 11, 2014, 06:21:46 am
Rules, laws, regulations or two idiots drawing a line in the sand is arbitrary. Here, there, somewhere. The rule was put at twelve. Leagues have meet the standard. Big-Not-Really-12 hasn't. Why are they in this situation. Something the NCAA has done? Nope. They had the numbers but because of the dysfunctional nature of the conference, highly valued members left. Pushed out and away because the conference was birthed, raised and coddled for the UT/OU tantrum throwing members. Rewarding the lousy stewardship of being a major NCAA conference doesn't seem arbitrary to me. It seems unfair to the rest of us.

There really is no such thing as fair in an entity like college football where there are too many independent decision-makers. The closest we'll ever get is having everyone come to a consensus on what it takes to get in the playoffs.  If - de facto - Texas and Oklahoma are the only Big XII teams that can get in then we don't really have any Power 5 conferences - we have Power 4 + 2 Power Teams. Either work out a deal to add 2 to Big XII or let them do a ccg with 10. It's the only way to make sure everybody is truly under the same rules and regulations with no pretending.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Quickdraw

Texas has never played well with others and usually got it's way. But ever since A&M grew a pair and left the Longhorns at the alter everything has began to come unraveled. Now Texas is crying over their own demise. Sweet!

Murr

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 11, 2014, 09:10:34 am
I disagree.  I think there's more collegiality and trust between the members of the ACC than the Big XII.  They'll hold together as long as they practically can.

The Big XII is like a damp loaf of sugar--still has its original shape, but could dissolve at any moment.

So true.

When the PAC-16 was boiling hot with Texas, TT, OU, OSU and few others, the left overs (Mizzou, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Kansas) where looking at options if the conference fell apart.  These schools were seriously considering the Big East to ensure they all had a home.  I can't blame any of them one bit if they leave the Big 12 for a better offer.  Eva.

Murr

Quote from: hog911 on December 11, 2014, 09:44:14 am
Well the SEC west is completely dominate in football, like the east was in basketball, but for some reason it's okay to keep it the way it is in football. Hmmm

Only temporary rise and fall of programs.  Remember when Mike Shula was coaching Alabama?  The West was wild every year as any team could just claw their way to Atlanta while in the East it was a battle between Florida and Georgia.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 10, 2014, 11:00:14 am

Texas and OU made their bed and now they don't want to sleep in it anymore.

Yep.....They not only don't want to sleep in that bed anymore...they want somebody else to pay for it.....

I say.....just send the bill to the Longhorn Network.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 10, 2014, 09:44:11 am
The Big XII, of course, is going to petition the NCAA to permit them to have a conference championship game with only 10 teams.  It turns out, however, that the Big XII isn't alone in its quest to breach the 12-team, divisional-format rule--the ACC is going to ask for the same thing.

"Why?" you might ask.  After all, the ACC already has 12 teams, two divisions, and a conference championship game.  The reason is that the ACC wants to do away with its divisional format and send the top two teams to the championship.  The strategy has to do mainly with the embarrassingly bad ACC Coastal division.  The argument goes that in 2012 and 2013, FSU and Clemson were clearly the best teams, but the Noles were matched up against Georgia Tech and Duke. 

So why not let the two best teams face off?  Well, because it's pointless.  In the 2012 and 2013 situations, FSU and Clemson did play it off, with the Noles winning both games by a margin of 100-51.  Not exactly compelling, championship football there.  If the two best teams are in the same division, they'll play each other anyway; if they're not, they'll meet in the conference championship game.  The ACC's logic amounts to nothing, at least on the field.

These proposals are going to be presented as "deregulation," but what the Big XII and the ACC are really asking for is conference welfare.  This doesn't have anything to do with crowning a champion or creating a compelling matchup--it's about increasing the chances of a representative from the weakling conferences of power football making the playoffs.  The ACC championship game might not produce a significant power matchup, making it harder on Florida State (let's be real, no one else is a threat to make it in from the ACC) to make a case at the end.  Since the Noles continued to drop despite being undefeated, it's spooked the ACC into making this appeal.

The Big XII--and by that, we're really just saying Texas and Oklahoma--wants its cake and to eat it too, as always.  They want to have 10 teams, a conference championship game, and a better shot at not being left at the kids table in the postseason.  Why, however, should the other leagues humor the Big XII?  The SEC, the B1G, and the Pac-12 all made moves to 12 teams predicated on following this rule and creating a conference championship game.  If the rule hadn't been in place, they might not have made some of the moves that they made.  Would the Pac-12 have taken Colorado and Utah?  Would the SEC, pioneers of the concept, taken Arkansas and South Carolina if they could have had a championship game without them?  Maybe, but there's nothing special about the Big XII.  Texas and Oklahoma have the conference they demanded; it's too bad if they made poor decisions, and it's not the SEC's--or the B1G's, Pac-12's, or NCAA's--obligation to help them escape the consequences.

These moves aren't about making the sport better, or providing compelling matchups, or even improving the conferences.  It's really about helping Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida State while continuing to prop up the ACC and the Big XII, one of which is chronically weak and the other chronically dysfunctional.  The SEC, B1G, Pac-12, and the NCAA should say no, not merely for their own sakes, but also for the sake of college football.

Very good analysis.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

koreaben

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 10, 2014, 04:27:36 pm
But no matter how you slice it they played one LESS game that the other conference champions won.

Just to clarify, TCU/Baylor played 9 conference games, Pac12 played 9 conference games, SEC played 8 conference games,  ACC played 8 conference games and Big 10 played 8 conference games.   
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

LZH

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 10, 2014, 03:37:50 pm
just raise the avg attendance criteria for what constitutes an FBS school and let the chips fall where they may.  currently, it is 15k

I thought it already was 30k.  ASU had to add to their stadium way back when to get to a 30k capacity.  Or is 30k the minimum capacity of the stadium and minimum average attendance must be 15k?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on December 15, 2014, 07:14:25 am
I thought it already was 30k.  ASU had to add to their stadium way back when to get to a 30k capacity.  Or is 30k the minimum capacity of the stadium and minimum average attendance must be 15k?

An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaws 20.9.1 through 20.9.5 and in addition, shall:
1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.7.1]
2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]
3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]
4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]
5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(b)]

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 10, 2014, 12:11:21 pm
It's happened before as far as their team getting knocked out of big bowls and the BCS. Ironically IF by some miracle Mizzou would have upset Bama there was a chance no one from the SEC would have gotten in. You will always be taking a chance of you championship game winner beating a better team and that conference not getting a team in the playoff but I think there is a greater chance of not getting one in without a conference championship game.
then they robbed Nebraska to get texas in. That's why Nebraska left.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: koreaben on December 15, 2014, 04:10:47 am
Just to clarify, TCU/Baylor played 9 conference games, Pac12 played 9 conference games, SEC played 8 conference games,  ACC played 8 conference games and Big 10 played 8 conference games.   

Perhaps I should have said TOTAL games for the year...............I wasn't referring to conference games. That extra conference championship game means they the winner will have played ONE more total game AND against a good opponent. PLUS Baylors and TCUs OOC schedule was rated poor in strength.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 15, 2014, 07:23:20 am
An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaws 20.9.1 through 20.9.5 and in addition, shall:
1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.7.1]
2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]
3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]
4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]
5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(b)]

Nice.  It makes sense now....because if you ever watch one of those MAC or Mountain West games on TV there's no way in hell they have anywhere near 30,000 people in the stands, and it's pretty obvious that they aren't averaging 30k, either.  I've often wondered how they got by with that.  Now I know - they don't have to.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on December 15, 2014, 11:13:22 am
Nice.  It makes sense now....because if you ever watch one of those MAC or Mountain West games on TV there's no way in hell they have anywhere near 30,000 people in the stands, and it's pretty obvious that they aren't averaging 30k, either.  I've often wondered how they got by with that.  Now I know - they don't have to.

There are a lot of schools with less than 30k stadiums.  Idaho, 16k. 

15k requirement is an outdated business model.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 15, 2014, 12:16:04 pm

Don't be hatin on the Kibbie Dome.  lol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 15, 2014, 12:16:04 pm

I agree!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogfaniam