Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some of you just don't understand about Texas

Started by LuckyDavey, December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcineSublime

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 08, 2014, 04:12:45 pm
I was not a freshman in 1964.  Hell....I was still 10 years away from being born. 
(was born in Texas btw.  Dad was a Rice Owl LB)

I don't like Texas.....or any other team we are playing.  But it's laughable to call others "dumb" for not giving a crap about a team that dominated a series with Arkansas. A series that has been dead for over 20 years.  (I remember the Cotton Bowl....I'm talking about the series)  I certainly don't begrudge anyone who hates Texas.  That's cool.  But keep in mind that it is 2014 and we are in the SEC.  SEC wins mean a hell of a lot more to this program (including the coaches and players) than a low level bowl game against Texas. 
I hope we beat their asses.   But no more than I hope we beat anyone elses....and not as much as I hope we beat SEC schools asses.   Not even close.
An excellent post to sum up how I feel. I was 3 in '64, but have had my share of "beat Texas" weeks. Having said that, time has moved on and so have I. Just another team with ugly uniforms that I hope we beat senseless. The irrational hate of an entire state is bit ore than I can muster, sorry.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 05:44:35 pm
Did you walk 5 miles in the snow to school uphill both ways too?  :)

+1 to you, my friend!!!

Actually, I had one of those two wheel contraptions.......the front wheel was huge, and the rear wheel was small.........LOL.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jrulz83

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 08, 2014, 05:46:01 pm
+1 to you, my friend!!!

Actually, I had one of those two wheel contraptions.......the front wheel was huge, and the rear wheel was small.........LOL.

Going out on a limb here, but I bet when you did get speak all you got to say was yes sir and no ma'am.

So you were a rich kid, I bet you had real toys too and not just corn cobs.  :)
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

hogsevenseven

I agree with the poster who said if the hogs only beat Texas it was a good season.  Since joining the SEC and living so close to Louisiana, I can't stand LSU either. I hated it when  Texas and LSU were in baseball championship series a few years ago. Didn't want either team to win.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 05:49:22 pm
Going out on a limb here, but I bet when you did get speak all you got to say was yes sir and no ma'am.

Actually, I'm 62..........but I still have a sense of humor.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorcineSublime on December 08, 2014, 05:44:44 pm
An excellent post to sum up how I feel. I was 3 in '64, but have had my share of "beat Texas" weeks. Having said that, time has moved on and so have I. Just another team with ugly uniforms that I hope we beat senseless. The irrational hate of an entire state is bit ore than I can muster, sorry.
I don't hate the whole state of Texas. Many of my family are texas natives. My paycheck comes from a Tyler, Texas company. Only part of Texas I really can't stand are the burnt orange people.

jrulz83

Quote from: hogsevenseven on December 08, 2014, 05:50:47 pm
I agree with the poster who said if the hogs only beat Texas it was a good season.  Since joining the SEC and living so close to Louisiana, I can't stand LSU either. I hated it when  Texas and LSU were in baseball championship series a few years ago. Didn't want either team to win.

That's when you root for the earthquake to open the earth and both teams be consumed by it. :)

lahawg1

Quote from: Jborohog09 on December 08, 2014, 03:58:13 pm
I'm 23 and I hate them.  Every time I see their logo I  ::hornsdown:: without even thinking about it.  It's as natural as breathing to me.

You had a good father

007 License To Squeal

:)
Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 05:52:02 pm
That's when you root for the earthquake to open the earth and both teams be consumed by it. :)

That's funny stuff right there...... :)

HouSwine

Quote from: goodguytex on December 08, 2014, 04:19:50 pm
If you have to deal with the arrogant Texass fans on a daily basis your perspective and level of hate for the whorns increases big time.
Yep. LSU and A&M fans around here are bad but don't come close to the cattle people

Ethan2010

Tyro3

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 05:33:31 pm
Not after 20 years and a change of conference it doesn't. I dislike Texas as much as anybody, but they are no longer a true "rival". They were a rival when the conference title was decided by playing them. They were a rival when the game had national implications. It's just not that way anymore.

The "rivals" now are Bama, LSU, and like it or not Mizzou. But you old folks need to have fun reliving the past, it gives you something to be crotchety about. I mean let's face it, old people aren't happy unless they're mad about a younger generation lacking vision for history.

Hey whippersnapper I am 75 and If want to be crotchety, by damn I will, so shut up and go do something productive with your life and stay off the message board!!

jrulz83

Just to prepare everybody, old people like to ask you if you know what these are:

goodguytex

Quote from: HouSwine on December 08, 2014, 05:54:30 pm
Yep. LSU and A&M fans around here are bad but don't come close to the cattle people
Aggie and LSwho fans are pretty bad. But one thing I like... They both can't stand Texass either.

1hogfan

Locutus, Regardless of their opponent, Texas has never played a game I wanted them to win. Alabama has!

Tyro3

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 05:59:51 pm
Just to prepare everybody, old people like to ask you if you know what these are:

You know, if wasn't for some old people you wouldn't be here, show some respect.

jrulz83

Quote from: Tyro3 on December 08, 2014, 05:59:17 pm
Hey whippersnapper I am 75 and If want to be crotchety, by damn I will, so shut up and go do something productive with your life and stay off the message board!!

I already did, I went to the mailbox and got my check on Friday. That's enough for the month.  :)

KMB90

Quote from: Jborohog09 on December 08, 2014, 03:58:13 pm
I'm 23 and I hate them.  Every time I see their logo I  ::hornsdown:: without even thinking about it.  It's as natural as breathing to me.

I'm 24 and exactly the same way. Couldn't have said it better.

redeye

Quote from: Kevin on December 08, 2014, 05:26:49 pm
it was a one sided rivalry. texas has two rivals more important to them oklahoma, & a&m

Alabama has Auburn, Tennessee, Florida and LSU.  How many of those are one-sided rivalries?

If SEC media spent time reliving our past history, as they do the old SEC schools, then many younger fans would understandably feel differently.  I mostly don't blame the SEC media for not covering our pre-SEC history, or our younger fans for not feeling it, but I don't like hearing that it doesn't matter.  It's a big part of who we are today and should never be forgotten.

Having said that, even back in our SWC days, I never hated either the State of Texas or the University.  I just wanted to beat the Longhorns in football every year and doing that was always the #1 goal.  Now that we're in a different conference, beating Texas isn't as important, but there will never be a day when I don't consider it something special.  Conference ties aside, a victory over Texas will always mean more to me then beating A&M, LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss or Auburn.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 08, 2014, 05:30:32 pm
If you have to post on a message board trying to explain who your teams rival is then they aren't a rival.

Yup. I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but that's just because they're Texas. A rivalry that was mostly one-sided to begin with isn't going to survive a conference switch.

At one point the series with Ole Miss had to be suspended for a couple of years to let both sides cool down a bit, but that rivalry has clearly worn off and now they don't move the needle that much, but you don't see people constantly harping on that "rivalry." Times change.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Danny J

it was a one sided rivalry. texas has two rivals more important to them oklahoma, & a&m
I agree.....isn't the record something like 56-21?

goodguytex

Randy Johnson

I am thrilled we get to play a team we have never played before and go to a state we've never been. Thanks selection committee for throwing us the ole Texas bone. How many times do we get the great reward of playing Texas? Good job Arkansas...you get to play.....ah....lets.....see......ah....TEXAS!!!

Gee will it be Dallas or Houston. Flip the coin. Houston!!! Darn I wanted College Station, Waco, Lubbock....or Fort worth. Lets call this the "Let's Do It One More Time For Broyles & Royal SWC Bowl"......

I do have a drawer full of beat Texas shirts cool....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boarmonger

If you read their boards you'll find this isn't necessarily true.  I have seen the Hogs referred to today as the conference version of OU.  While it's true aTm has passed us in the fairly recent past, it hasn't always been that way.  To say we've never been their rival is completely incorrect.

Steef

Our rivalry is not one sided. They hate us too. First and foremost.

They just enjoy denying it, as it represents another put down.

Torqued pork

I believe the UofA cancelled all classes the week of the '69 game. I can't imagine any university doing that these days.

Murr

Quote from: LuckyDavey on December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm
I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today. 

By the time you get to 3,000 posts, you'll have read so much dumb s*** on here you couldn't even rank the dumbest of them without losing your insanity.

Danny J

jvanhorn

I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!

LOL, don't waste your time.  They don't get Elvis or The Beatles either, LOL.

Pig In The City

I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!

It is a rivalry for Arkansas fans but not so much for Longhorn fans.  Longhorns have never considered us enough of a threat to be a rivalry.  Now we have an opportunity to beat them into the ground and start one, but until we do, it is just talk.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Murr on December 08, 2014, 06:40:38 pm
By the time you get to 3,000 posts, you'll have read so much dumb s*** on here you couldn't even rank the dumbest of them without losing your insanity.

Could be the truest statement I've ever read.

Pig In The City

Quote from: steefhog on December 08, 2014, 06:31:42 pm

I live in Texas and I do not believe that the average Longhorn fan believes we are a rivalry.  They don't think of us at all.

goodguytex

Quote from: Boarmonger on December 08, 2014, 06:29:53 pm
If you read their boards you'll find this isn't necessarily true.  I have seen the Hogs referred to today as the conference version of OU.  While it's true aTm has passed us in the fairly recent past, it hasn't always been that way.  To say we've never been their rival is completely incorrect.
Quote from: Pig In The City on December 08, 2014, 06:46:19 pm
It is a rivalry for Arkansas fans but not so much for Longhorn fans.  Longhorns have never considered us enough of a threat to be a rivalry.  Now we have an opportunity to beat them into the ground and start one, but until we do, it is just talk.
Quote from: steefhog on December 08, 2014, 06:31:42 pm

jrulz83

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 08, 2014, 06:44:36 pm
LOL, don't waste your time.  They don't get Elvis or The Beatles either, LOL.

I love The Beatles, The Stones are better though. Nothing beats some 1960s Motown either.

RockyMtnHog

It is bred deep in our Arkansas bones that we are to hate Texass.  Even my grandkids who are ages 17, 14 and 8 know that they are raised to hate Texass.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Steef

Quote from: Pig In The City on December 08, 2014, 06:49:09 pm
I live in Texas and I do not believe that the average Longhorn fan believes we are a rivalry.  They don't think of us at all.

The average fan for Texas is probably much like the average fan for Arkansas. Too young to remember the SWC.

But the rivalry exists. And their old timers are like ours. Just more arrogant.

During the 20the century, there was never a time when a Horn would acknowledge us. But they did it for the same exact reason that trolls cruise message boards. To be irritating.

They hated everybody. But we were their number one.

KatyHawg

You younguns need to understand 2 things.
1- Playing in the SEC is business.
2- Playing Texas is personal.

TuskDr

In 1988 the Hogs won in Austin. The group of students that I was with rushed the field.  One of my fondest memories as a student.   Two quick notes. I have a Razorback trivia book from the same era, and the last question is, Nobody sucks like the big orange of _____?  How many people remember the poster that has all the referees in dark glasses and canes with the caption "The Eyes of Texas".

redeye

Quote from: Boarmonger on December 08, 2014, 06:29:53 pm

This is true.  We don't even play them anymore, so they obviously don't sit around talking about Arkansas, in the same way they do Oklahoma.  They probably never spent most of their time talking about how much they hate Arkansas, but neither does Alabama with Tennessee or Auburn with Georgia.  Notice I didn't say Alabama with Auburn, because many of us couldn't imagine that being true, but I believe Tennessee used to be more important then Auburn to Alabama fans.

Our fascination with who's a rival is bewildering and leads to many dumb things being said.  Because one teams has won more games or has other rivals doesn't negate a rivalry.  If that were true, then Ole Miss or Missouri would be excellent candidates for our biggest rival.  If we still played Texas every year, this wouldn't even be questioned, but we don't.  That doesn't mean many of us don't still have reasons to hate Texas and/or want to beat them really bad, though.  When you've spent a good portion of your life centered around beating Texas, it's natural for that feeling to continue.

Texas is a huge part of our success as a major college football program, in the same way that Alabama is to Auburn.  Yea, we've lost a lot of games to the Longhorns, but the games we won put us on the national stage. 

redeye

Quote from: KatyHawg on December 08, 2014, 07:13:23 pm

Great first post!

hoglady

Quote from: Sed76 on December 08, 2014, 03:50:38 pm
Just out of curiosity, why is Texas hated any more than A&M or any other former SWC school? 

Actually, the one thing that tied all other schools together in the old SWC was the shared hatred for Texas.
The hate is still there - that's why the Texas basketball team was none too happy to end up at the NCAA regional in Little Rock a few years back. They knew that arena would not be a neutral site. Heck, the whole arena was rooting against them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Deep Shoat

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2014, 04:35:37 pm
I wanna expand on this.

As members of the SEC, we're constantly hearing stories about Georgia and Herschel Walker, Auburn and Bo Jackson and Alabama's Bear Bryant.  We hear about Archie Manning and Steven Spurrier as great SEC quarterbacks, but we hear nothing about another great SEC team when those 2 were playing.

That's because Arkansas wasn't in the SEC back then, so it doesn't matter to them that Arkansas was one of the best teams of that era, finishing with the 3rd most wins of the sixties.  They don't care that our '69 game against Texas is considered one of the top college football games to ever be played.

The SWC doesn't exist anymore and the Big 12 has no reason to keep our history alive, either.  So it's up to Arkansas and our fans to keep it alive, or it'll otherwise be forgotten.  Luckily, there are some older Texans who help keep that history alive, also.  If we fail at doing this, then we're no better then Boise State, Kansas State or any number of other college football teams without much past history.  Unfortunately, many already view us that way, but it's not because the history doesn't exist, but rather because they don't know about it and/or respect it.
This, x infinity.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: KatyHawg on December 08, 2014, 07:13:23 pm
::hornsdown::
All Gas, No Brakes!

Randy Johnson

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 08, 2014, 06:30:54 pm
Guess you would have rather had our team go and try out the smurf turf? 

Blue grass is the stupidest thing. I guess you could wear a pair of yellow lens glasses. So it was Texas or Smurfs? I'm in for the Smurfs. At least it is different. I suppose going somewhere besides Houston Texas would be a cultural challenge for some. Hot Damn!

MC_Hog

I'm 49 & I grew up with the Texas rivalry so I do understand. At that time I hated Texas worst than anyone but not anymore, I don't consider Texas a rival. Some of the older people in this state wish we still played in the old SWC & would give anything to play Texas every year.  The SEC is the best thing that has happened to our program & I don't care if we ever play Texas again. I'm going to the bowl game but it has nothing to do with playing Texas.

Danny J

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 06:53:35 pm
I love The Beatles, The Stones are better though. Nothing beats some 1960s Motown either.
I like the Beatles also but much prefer Pink Floyd!!

redeye

Quote from: RazorWorld on December 08, 2014, 07:40:51 pm
Blue grass is the stupidest thing. I guess you could wear a pair of yellow lens glasses. So it was Texas or Smurfs? I'm in for the Smurfs. At least it is different. I suppose going somewhere besides Houston Texas would be a cultural challenge for some. Hot Damn!

I get that.  I really do.  But besides that we're limited in how far we'll travel and which bowls will take us, it doesn't make much sense from our standpoint.  We have a lot of fans in Texas and the Texas Bowl will help us with recruits there (for this year and the future.)   This is a really good bowl for us, both with the location, and the opponent.  I mean, we thought for a while that we'd be playing ECU in Memphis, and maybe that excites you more, but I can't think of anyone I'd want to play less then ECU.

Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry. 

Wife and I was also there. Fun night but a wonder someone wasn't killed.
Still looking forward (even at my age) to Texas week.     

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

phadedhawg

Maybe it's just the generational issue. Young ones are often embarrassed by their parents. Arkansans obsession with Texas is kind of out of date. Texas doesn't sit around thinking how much they hate us...they never did. It was a one sided rivalry that has been forgotten about by everyone outside of our great state. Holding so much hate for Texas just shows the had our goat then and still do now.

And every time I hear about "the game of the century" I just roll my eyes. Why we celebrate a loss still confounds me.

I'm glad that folks are glad they were at an airport at night but it doesn't mean much to everyone who wasn't at whatever airport you were at.

We are in the SEC, the greatest football conference ever.  Time to let it go.

I'm disappointed that we don't get to play someone interesting.  Texas is as appealing as but toast.