Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone hear Greg McElroy on SEC network last night?

Started by moonswine, December 08, 2014, 11:51:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moonswine

December 08, 2014, 11:51:14 am Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:41:35 am by moonswine
Said he grew up in Texas and was a Hog at heart.  Very complimentary of Arkansas program and expects big things of them in the future.  Seems we may have found a voice amongst the FSU, OSU and Bama boys.

FutureMan

December 08, 2014, 12:00:24 pm #1 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:04:44 pm by FutureMan
McIlroy is awesome.  He is extremely sharp and well-spoken at such a young age.  He could very well be the next Herbstreit.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

razorfan84

He has been very complimentary to Ark all year.  Even during the losing streak he was saying just wait until these guys figure it out and then watch the wins pile up.  Been very nice to hear his opinions and analysis.  He will go far.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Augustus

Did any of you happen to watch the Finebaum coverage of the Iron Bowl?  McElroy knocked it out of the park with his analysis of plays during the game.  Certainly more so than Marcus Spears, Finebaum, or that 4th ESPN announcer (can't remember his name).

Obviously he has a reason to biased towards Bama, but I've never really thought he came across that way on air.  Certainly not like Danny Kanell.

hoghevn

Quote from: moonswine on December 08, 2014, 11:51:14 am
Said he grew up in Texas and was a Hog at heart.  Very complimentary of Arkansas program and expects big things of them in the future.  Seems we may have found a voice amongst the FSU, OSU and Bama boys.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!  I heard this last night and almost fell out of my chair!!  I thought's that what he said but couldn't believe it!!

I was like.... Did he just say that - "I'm a Hog at heart"........  I must have misinterpreted that....  WOW!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Ex-Trumpet

Been telling the wife all year that McIlroy could be the best analyst on TV...she just kinda gives me that look...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Wild Boarnado

When I first saw him on the SEC Network I thought, "great", another Bama homer, but he's been very fair, knowledgeable, consistent, and supportive of all the teams. I have enjoyed his commentary all season.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Hogarusa

Basically the skills of an analyst according to Hogville are: talks positive about the Hogs- great and insightful.  Knocks the Hogs in any way: puts on mute/idiot who has no clue.  It never fails

Always enjoy
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: Wild Boarnado on December 08, 2014, 12:25:29 pm
When I first saw him on the SEC Network I thought, "great", another Bama homer, but he's been very fair, knowledgeable, consistent, and supportive of all the teams. I have enjoyed his commentary all season.

He is a analyst that happens to be a Bama grad, instead of a Bama grad trying to be a analyst.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgwash

HOGINTENNESSEE

Jackrabbit Hog

Folks in Alabama call McElroy the Politician because he comes across so polished.  The rest of the country is finding out about him.  I agree he has the potential to be an ESPN star, but I think for now they just want him to be the SEC Network star.  Give him a few years.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawgwash

bigdaddyhawg

I was pretty amazed that I have not been able to detect one bit of Bama bias.  He should be given tons of credit for that, I'm sure that's not too easy.

But I've also been impressed by Booger McFarland.  He brings a very good take on things and is not afraid to speak out.

The two of them make a great commentary team IMO.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoghevn

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 12:52:32 pm
He is a analyst that happens to be a Bama grad, instead of a Bama grad trying to be a analyst.

ding ding ding......  We have a winner - He is a great analyst
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

runninhog

The guy deserved more of a chance with the Jets. A lot of fans wanted him to play, but they kept going to Dirty Sanchez. I like the kid.

presidenthog

I said earlier in the year to my brother that I liked ol mcilroy and I thought he was great. He also thought I was a Crazy but I think he somewhat agreed because of our mutual dislike of booger

Atlhogfan1

Booger and GM have done a good job this season.  Very professional even with the nickname of Booger.  Kannell and Joey Galloway have not. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bacon_Bitz

I remember watching their show a few weeks ago and of course McElroy was talking up Arkansas like he always does, and they cut to some film analysis or something, and when they cut back to the studio, Dari said, "Greg, tell everybody what you were just saying about Arkansas," and Greg said, "Bret Bielema is really building something special there," so he really does love the Hogs, keeps going on and on about them with the studio guys when they are off-the-air.

I hope it gets bad/good enough that he becomes known for being a Hog homer.

hogman99

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 01:22:37 pm
Booger and GM have done a good job this season.  Very professional even with the nickname of Booger.  Kannell and Joey Galloway have not.

Galloway is terrible. His questioning how TCU could go from 3 to 6 drove me nuts.  I guess he didn't understand that there was not a lot of difference in 3-6 to start the weekend.  When the 4-6 beat ranked teams and TCU beat a bad Iowa St team he doesn't think that should have mattered. I thought Herbstreit was going to fall over himself trying to get his old Ohio St buddy to shut up because he was sounding so stupid. They must have talked during the break because Galloway backed off later in the show a little.

soccerrunner

Greg's dad, Greg, was an executive with the Cowboys for a number of years so he was around Jerry a good bit.  He left this year to join the athletic department at, I think, Arizona or Arizona State.    Greg Jr. went to Southlake Carroll and originally committed to T Tech.  When he got the offer from Alabama, he jumped all over it.

Jackrabbit Hog

I think ESPN is grooming Kanell to be that controversial guy that evokes strong responses from viewers, ala Sean Salisbury back in the day.  I don't think he tries to be objective or even accurate; I think he says things with the idea that it will pish people off.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Paul

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

DeltaBoy

Greg could become on of the Great ones Ie Keith Jackson or Pat .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: runninhog on December 08, 2014, 01:18:46 pm
The guy deserved more of a chance with the Jets. A lot of fans wanted him to play, but they kept going to Dirty Sanchez. I like the kid.

He made some money, made some contacts, and is now getting paid pretty good money without having to get hit or have 300lb linemen, or 250 lbs trying to kill him. Not a ton of travel, and a career that can last until he is well past when most nfl players are never heard form again. All in all, turned out pretty good for him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 02:46:31 pm
He made some money, made some contacts, and is now getting paid pretty good money without having to get hit or have 300lb linemen, or 250 lbs trying to kill him. Not a ton of travel, and a career that can last until he is well past when most nfl players are never heard form again. All in all, turned out pretty good for him.

True.  He may have dreamed about a long NFL career but he's smart enough to have had solid back up plans.  If I recall, he made a perfect score on the Wonderlich, or very close to it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 08, 2014, 02:48:11 pm
True.  He may have dreamed about a long NFL career but he's smart enough to have had solid back up plans.  If I recall, he made a perfect score on the Wonderlich, or very close to it.

Seem to remember that as well. Probably will marry ( already did ) a nice girl, have some blond headed kids, and live quite comfortably. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 08, 2014, 02:48:11 pm

I suspect as articulate and intelligent that he is, by the time he's in his 40's he'll be a CEO of some company or organization. This is a business block to greater things for him.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hoginsavga

Quote from: FutureMan on December 08, 2014, 12:00:24 pm
McIlroy is awesome.  He is extremely sharp and well-spoken at such a young age.  He could very well be the next Herbsreit.
He is already much better than Herbstreet unless you are from Ohio State. What street was that again?

Fayettechill14

His name is "McElroy." McIlroy is the Scottish golfer. Carry on!

MJ2

If I'm not mistaken, his dad is involved with "Jerry" and therefore he has a vested interest in supporting the Hogs.    He likely wants to be part of Jerry's world at some point in the future.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 08, 2014, 03:07:31 pm
His name is "McElroy." McIlroy is the Scottish golfer. Carry on!

The golfer is from Northern Ireland.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 08, 2014, 03:15:04 pm

Oops. My bad. The Celtic part of the United Kingdom. Either way, the Alabama quarterback is McElroy...

skbhog

Greg has done much better than I though he would. May be the best on the network.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 08, 2014, 12:29:22 pm
Basically the skills of an analyst according to Hogville are: talks positive about the Hogs- great and insightful.  Knocks the Hogs in any way: puts on mute/idiot who has no clue.  It never fails

Always enjoy

And you don't see it that way at all, do you.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

LRHawg

Pleasantly surprised by his non Bama homerism. Was expecting much worse.

HognitiveDissonance

Joey Galloway nailed it last night. Talked about how Ohio State should play Alabama: take Amari Cooper out of the game. Mentioned the Arkansas game and how we held him to two catches; Sims locks on Cooper and gets confused if he has to search for other receivers. In other words, he throws a good ball, but doesn't necessarily play QB that well.
I have said before, but will say again, the defense we played vs Alabama was incredible. That is an explosive offense; we shut down Cooper and held the run game to 60 yards. Ohio St should do the same. Double Cooper and make Sims throw it somewhere else.

Porcius Magnus

I love listening to him in the morning on the way to work.  He has a phenomenal memory and knows his SEC history.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2014, 09:42:43 pm
Joey Galloway nailed it last night. Talked about how Ohio State should play Alabama: take Amari Cooper out of the game. Mentioned the Arkansas game and how we held him to two catches; Sims locks on Cooper and gets confused if he has to search for other receivers. In other words, he throws a good ball, but doesn't necessarily play QB that well.
I have said before, but will say again, the defense we played vs Alabama was incredible. That is an explosive offense; we shut down Cooper and held the run game to 60 yards. Ohio St should do the same. Double Cooper and make Sims throw it somewhere else.
Ole Miss bracketed Cooper with multiple DBs as well. 

OJ Howard needs to step up with a big game. 

My comment regarding DK and JG was about their inability to hide some biases. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ballz2thewall

that game was our best defensive effort in my comfortable, easy-chair opinion.
The rest of the frog.

hogsanity

Bama started getting around that, when teams tried it after the Hog game, by getting Cooper the ball on alot of WR screens, putting him in the slot, and running him on crosses out of the slot. They spent three games setting up the long TD pass against Aub, then flipped him and White, ran it again with Cooper as the decoy, and burned Mizzou with it.

I think the Hgs hit them with something they had never seen on film out of the Hogs, and they had nothing in the game plan for it.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Cresthog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 08, 2014, 03:17:50 pm
Oops. My bad. The Celtic part of the United Kingdom. Either way, the Alabama quarterback is McElroy...

Nah man, it's just the northern portion of the Irish Isle. The "celtic" part of the United Kingdom is a lot bigger than that and also spans into Brittany, France.

But I do like GM, although sometimes he looks kinda skelator.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 08, 2014, 03:15:04 pm

And Northern Ireland is heavily populated by Ulster Scots.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker