Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

50 & Older

Started by reddogjcss, December 07, 2014, 05:58:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2014, 08:32:07 am
See, right there is the big misconception about this whole discussion. I have not seen people saying they do not have a dislike for Texas. I do not like them, can't stand their smug attitude, and think they have been woefully under performing for years, BUT I also do not think playing them is the be all end all that some think it is.

If the Hogs were not already playing A&M every year, were not in the middle of a home and home with TT, and did not have TCU coming up on the schedule, I would think this game was great. There are so many teams the Hogs have rarely or never played, ND, PN St, VT, Clem, UCLA, Neb, Ohio St just to name a few, it would be nice to see a match up with one of those teams.  Are people really trying to tell me beating Texas is a bigger deal, FOR THE PROGRAM NOW, is better than beating a Ohio St or a UCLA?

I do not like Texas, I do not like any team other than Arkansas. I will usually choose sides in a game I want to watch, just to make it fun, but I do not follow any other team.

For our particular circumstances, and all things considered, I think that's about as good of a bowl game as we could have gotten.  The media will play it up with all sorts of references to our past match ups, and it will have a bigger following than the other options that we had...for a bowl game.  Is it bigger than ANY SEC win at this point in our program?  Probably not...minus maybe Vandy or KY.   

I guess I am struggling to see why there's a perception that beating Texas is the save all end all, because I haven't really seen that expressed.  It would be like us playing a late season game against LSU, even when it doesn't mean anything.  I want to beat them because of my disdain for their fans...simple as that. 

I'm just saying that beating Texas would mean more to most Hog fans than beating Pitt or Va Tech, and understandably so.  In general, I like the intrigue of playing teams that you wouldn't normally ever play...like Wisc or Minnesota (which we lost both btw  ::)), but right now if we can sneak in a win against Texas when they're struggling a little more than usual, that would mean more IMO.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Torqued pork

I don't hate the Horns now, but back in the day my dislike for them was more about frustration than arrogance on their part.

The truth in the SWC was in most years we HAD to beat or almost beat Texas to get much national credibility. Beating the likes of Rice and TCU did nothing for us.

The Horns were practically always the measuring stick for the rest of the SWC. Everybody hated them.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 15, 2014, 08:41:46 am

I guess I am struggling to see why there's a perception that beating Texas is the save all end all, because I haven't really seen that expressed. 

I guess you have missed the posts talking about how they would like to play Texas 4 times a year, that this would be the biggest win of the season.

It might have been the best bowl they hogs could have hoped for, although playing in Memphis or Shreveport would have been a easier trip for the fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Arkfan on December 14, 2014, 07:56:50 pm
Just for conversation do you honestly think any player or coach would say theyd rather play somebody else in another city in another bowl?

The players get it.  When they decided to come to the Hill, most stuck their noses in the books and googled everything they could about arkansas football history.  There are very few players that are just playing to be playing. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2014, 09:03:13 am
I guess you have missed the posts talking about how they would like to play Texas 4 times a year, that this would be the biggest win of the season.

It might have been the best bowl they hogs could have hoped for, although playing in Memphis or Shreveport would have been a easier trip for the fans.

Well...now that you mention it, I do recall that.  I think I just dismissed those posts.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 15, 2014, 08:12:11 am
Be honest...how many here who are saying they don't at least dislike Texas have ever attended a game at UT?  Show of hands please... 

Here's my hand..........How many times do you want me to raise it..................I'd get tired doing so...........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoginsavga

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 07, 2014, 07:36:24 pm
Arkansas is 21-56 all time vs Texas. Series have to be a bit less one sided for me to call it a rivalry.

If 50 years from now when y'all are dead and gone, I'm old like all you old guys, and Arkansas has played like 5 games against Texas it sill won't be a rivalry. It will just be 5 more times Arkansas has played (and hopefully beaten) Texas.

But if you think it's a rivalry game, then hey, go out there and do what you do, enjoy yourselves, just don't think everybody should share your excitement.

My thing is hatred for something gives it standing; ignoring it belittles it. But have fun hating Texas, you guys earned it for enduring the 1970s of Arkansas vs Texas rivalry series.

Keep talking and you may not see 50 lol