Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My latest column: Bielema spelled out his future plans for Hogs plainly this week

Started by Jim Harris, December 05, 2014, 08:12:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

What I didn't write but what was obvious too was his extra effort on Twitter to get his followers interested in some of the top recruits they're chasing. The kid from Indianapolis, if they were to land that guy .... wow. Gustin, I've got to think, is USC bound all the way, but Bielema may be the first guy in Fayetteville since Frank Broyles who could go into a guy's living room and woo him away from the likes of USC. We'll see. Nevertheless, I believe Arkansas is in good shape with the staff they have and the guy in charge. Hope you enjoy the read:

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bielema-spells-future-plans-plainly-razorbacks/
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Bacons Rebellion

I read your line about the 1970 class out loud as:
"only 3 signees out of 50 would make significant contributions..."

What my wife heard:
"only 3 Siamese out of 50 would make significant contributions."

Bud Abbott would have been envious for about 15 seconds until we figured each other out.

grayhawg

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 05, 2014, 08:20:34 pm

What my wife heard:

Bud Abbott would have been envious for about 15 seconds until we figured each other out.
LOL that sounds like my wife and I at times.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Paul

What my wife heard:

. Good stuff !

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hollywood_HOGan45

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 05, 2014, 08:12:41 pm
What I didn't write but what was obvious too was his extra effort on Twitter to get his followers interested in some of the top recruits they're chasing. The kid from Indianapolis, if they were to land that guy .... wow. Gustin, I've got to think, is USC bound all the way, but Bielema may be the first guy in Fayetteville since Frank Broyles who could go into a guy's living room and woo him away from the likes of USC. We'll see. Nevertheless, I believe Arkansas is in good shape with the staff they have and the guy in charge. Hope you enjoy the read:

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bielema-spells-future-plans-plainly-razorbacks/
Frankly I think CBB's future plans have been fairly clear from day one of his hire. While his two year experience in the SEC has honed and fine tuned his long range approach, his theme of wanting "uncommon young men", building from the front line up and trying to play hard-nosed defense and dominate other teams physically has been pretty much the same all along.

Pig Worshipper

Nice article, Jim. Thank you. I know we have Ty Storey coming at quarterback. Who else is Arkansas looking for at that position? With a good, yet injury-prone starter, the Hogs are in desperate need of a back-up in whom they have confidence.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

JoeyCapital

My dad was in the 1970 recruiting class. I don't know whether to laugh or to be offended. That class was pretty terrible, though.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

clew

Pure as the dawn

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ballz2thewall

What my wife heard:

THAT is FUNNY!

put that into a movie!
The rest of the frog.

MissippHog

26.2Hog

Quote from: Jim Harris link=topic=583090.msg9403638#msg9403638 d

url="http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bielema-spells-future-plans-plainly-razorbacks/"]http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bielema-spells-future-plans-plainly-razorbacks/[/url]

. . . everybody knew there was a problem in the fall of 1970, when Wilson Matthews, the freshman coach, called Broyles from Stillwater, Okla., where the Shoats (freshmen weren't eligible for varsity ball) were playing Oklahoma State's freshmen. "Frank, I had to call, the score is 56-0. Their favor." "Oh, well, that's not good," Broyles was reported to have said, to which Matthews added, "By the way, it's halftime."

That's great stuff.  Love me some Wilson Matthews stories.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on December 06, 2014, 12:23:54 pm
Nice article, Jim. Thank you. I know we have Ty Storey coming at quarterback. Who else is Arkansas looking for at that position? With a good, yet injury-prone starter, the Hogs are in desperate need of a back-up in whom they have confidence.

Arkansas is only looking at Storey for this class, but eyeing several good ones for the 2016 class. Gotta bring in at least one good one a class (along with three DL, three OL, etc. etc.) to maintain.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: golf2day on December 06, 2014, 01:44:42 pm
My dad was in the 1970 recruiting class. I don't know whether to laugh or to be offended. That class was pretty terrible, though.

I've gotten to know a handful of those guys in that class.

phadedhawg

Good read.  Hoping to see us make some noise in recruiting.  Stars might not mean much for on the field performance but they do get the attention of the media.  The more buzz you have the more recruits will know about our program. 

HogMantheIntruder

Go ahead and smite me for this, but I have to ask.  When you said, "the two sides set down...", was that a typo? I wouldn't ask if you were not a professional writer.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Nuttbashed

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 05, 2014, 08:12:41 pm

Wasn't Joe Adams committed to USC before Petrino arrived and he switched?

Hoggam's Razor

I hate it when people complain.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 15, 2014, 01:35:17 pm
I've gotten to know a handful of those guys in that class.
Just saw this...

His name is Ed Rownd. He was a linebacker.

Anytime him playing football up there comes up he mentions that he was part of the worst recruiting class frank ever had. He gets a kick out of it.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

jgphillips3

Quote from: golf2day on June 27, 2015, 10:50:44 am
Just saw this...

His name is Ed Rownd. He was a linebacker.

Anytime him playing football up there comes up he mentions that he was part of the worst recruiting class frank ever had. He gets a kick out of it.

Word.

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.