Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Coaching Transition according to the players....

Started by twistitup, March 07, 2018, 11:23:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Morris really seems like a Petrino in a prettier package.  And I have a suspicion that he is just as demanding once you get past the surface.  I really really like what I am seeing so far.

lahhog

Quote from: hawgon on March 07, 2018, 11:38:16 am
Morris really seems like a Petrino in a prettier package.  And I have a suspicion that he is just as demanding once you get past the surface.  I really really like what I am seeing so far.

Exactly! Like if Petrino had a soul.

buldozer

twistitup

King Kong

twistitup

Quote from: King Kong on March 07, 2018, 04:22:55 pm
Said every player after a coaching change ever

yeah....because usually the previous coach got fired for a reason, like not winning.

Kids want to win.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Randohoggie

twistitup

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 07, 2018, 05:03:16 pm
You are trying way too hard.  I am excited about Morris too, but Jesus, man ... get a hold of yourself.

How have I gone overboard?

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

nchogg

From what I have read and seen on video Coach Morris has a fire. He lights a fire under the players. Nice to know we have a Coach that only play the best players he has in each position. I don't see any favorites. I have been disappointed in Agim since he arrived. Yes he has made many good plays but have felt he was not allowed to play his strengths. I look for him to be a play wrecker this year with his position change. He has one hell of a motor and attitude and I want to see him wreak havoc on the opposing offense. Go Hogs!

1highhog

There's a big difference in let's say, a Nutt type that comes in here and does infuse energy into the program, but does so in a rah rah way that doesn't have staying power because it's heavy on the rah rah, light on the actual coaching aspect.

Then you have the complete opposite type that comes in, all business all coaching all the time, not a single bit of rah rah uttered, not to the players anyway, and the on field results were impressive, although many seemed turned off by his demeanor to his players.

Now, we have Morris, who we actually don't know alot about except what he's done elsewhere, we've heard great things from past players and coaches he's worked under.  So far, we've seen his enthusiasm for this job he's been given, but we'll have to wait until this coming season gets underway to see just how much of a rah rah coach he is and how much of a x's and o's coach he is as well, if he can do both, have these young men buy into the stchik he's selling and teach a great game plan, then we just may have caught lightening in a bottle for once in decades my friends.

King Kong

AirWarren

AirWarren

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 05:08:26 pm

You haven't. Thanks for posting. We have some very articulate young men on the team. Enjoyed the video.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PorkRinds

The Peavey thread was overboard for way different reasons.

SooieGeneris

KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

twistitup

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 07:25:37 pm
offseason fun

Like fried possum and fried raccoon testicles as new concession items at RRS?
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2018, 07:28:33 pm

Food is the key to people hearts Muskogee - let's not down on fried possum if you haven't tried it. You might just be hurting a recruits feelings....they read this board ya know.

Tarheelhawg

CMC understands that speed Kills!!  Check your history: Ken Hatfield said the same thing.  CMC clearly has discipline and a laser focus on recruiting speed which will result in wins.  I have history to support my assertion. 

Tarheelhawg

I meant Coach Chad Morris , so CCM not Cmc .  One too many craft beers in WNC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 07:33:52 pm
Food is the key to people hearts Muskogee - let's not down on fried possum if you haven't tried it. You might just be hurting a recruits feelings....they read this board ya know.

;)
Go Hogs Go!

rtr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2018, 07:28:33 pm
The bad thing is that is an improvement.  Now roast coon and cornbread dressing is a real delicacy.  I am sure most of you have never had it.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Al Boarland

"I'm pretty meh on the hire, but hopefully I get some snaps" - No One Ever

hawgdavis

I bet all the players know who's boss and not just one of the guys. I'm sure there is a certain amount of fooling around before and after practice but when it's time to work it's all business with a laser focus. Just a hunch.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 07:25:37 pm
offseason fun
Not sure we agree on much of anything...  but can certainly appreciate your love for the hogs and willingness to debate things your passionate about.  Keep it up.

HOGKING

Quote from: King Kong on March 07, 2018, 05:55:18 pm
Go ahead provide some examples.

Petrino got results but there were players that did not buy in right away and some that did not buy in at all, Some were kicked off the team.

hawgon

Quote from: HOGKING on March 07, 2018, 09:08:10 pm

Petrino got results but there were players that did not buy in right away and some that did not buy in at all, Some were kicked off the team.

Shh...don't pee in his Gatorade.

Athog

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 04:24:38 pm
yeah....because usually the previous coach got fired for a reason, like not winning.

Kids want to win.

And play for the new coach !

azhog10

Quote from: King Kong on March 07, 2018, 04:22:55 pm
Said every player after a coaching change ever
Not true. Quite a few guys left when CBB was hired. There was some outcry by players on twitter if I recall. I know Hatcher stuck it out but he was one that was not thrilled with the hire. Obviously over time the guys that do stay have to buy in, that's what you have to do. But when CCM was hired there seemed to be less of that and obviously all have enjoyed the uptick in energy and enthusiasm from the coaches. Some may be lip service but there does seem to be more excitement from players this time around. These kids just want to win, so hopefully CCM and Chavis can do that.

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: azhog10 on March 08, 2018, 08:26:21 am
Not true. Quite a few guys left when CBB was hired. There was some outcry by players on twitter if I recall. I know Hatcher stuck it out but he was one that was not thrilled with the hire. Obviously over time the guys that do stay have to buy in, that's what you have to do. But when CCM was hired there seemed to be less of that and obviously all have enjoyed the uptick in energy and enthusiasm from the coaches. Some may be lip service but there does seem to be more excitement from players this time around. These kids just want to win, so hopefully CCM and Chavis can do that.

Agreed.  The minute Petrino was fired, some guys started transferring out.  I expected a lot more guys to leave since that's what's happened at times in the past.  Now, some will transfer out during or after Spring, but that's not a coaching thing, it will be a playing time thing.  Morris seems to have held it together pretty well.  That's why I'm not toooo concerned about our recruiting class this past year.  Morris has a full team, he has quite a bit of experience on the field on this team.  He can win here next year, not 10 games, but he can win.  I think there's more talent than most want to admit just because of this disdain for Bielema.  Bielema didn't leave the cupboard bare. 

azhog10

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on March 08, 2018, 09:06:22 am
Agreed.  The minute Petrino was fired, some guys started transferring out.  I expected a lot more guys to leave since that's what's happened at times in the past.  Now, some will transfer out during or after Spring, but that's not a coaching thing, it will be a playing time thing.  Morris seems to have held it together pretty well.  That's why I'm not toooo concerned about our recruiting class this past year.  Morris has a full team, he has quite a bit of experience on the field on this team.  He can win here next year, not 10 games, but he can win.  I think there's more talent than most want to admit just because of this disdain for Bielema.  Bielema didn't leave the cupboard bare.
Also appreciate that CCM isn't pumping sunshine. There's a reason he's not gushing over our "speed". He's not going to come out and say we suck, but he's not coming out and saying we have loads of talent either. He understands the importance of being as real with the fan base as he can be.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 11:23:01 am
The kids are excited!!

"It was time for a change"...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-players-discuss-transition-bret-bielema-chad-morris-start-spring-practice/
Bielema is not a head coach. He is more like a consultant. Little wonder the next head coach impresses the players relative to their last head coach.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Al Boarland

Quote from: azhog10 on March 08, 2018, 09:14:14 am
Also appreciate that CCM isn't pumping sunshine. There's a reason he's not gushing over our "speed". He's not going to come out and say we suck, but he's not coming out and saying we have loads of talent either. He understands the importance of being as real with the fan base as he can be.

Let's be real. To most fans he can't say or do anything wrong right now. To the skeptical crowed it could go either way. It just depends on your position.

The NewEra

Keep bringing the optimism.  I'll join in with you.  There was enough negativity around the program and on here for six years to last me a lifetime, which it feels like it was.

Hawgphat

I perceive that it is apparently human nature for all of us, inclusively, to read into what others say - - or DON'T say - - attitudes and convictions that we attribute to them out of our own individual perceptions.

Please keep in mind, however, that those who parse their words carefully are very likely doing so out of a very purposeful, cautionary rationale.   People can be (and often ARE) chastised and rebuked for what they say - and the way in which they say it.  However, as of yet, no one can be belligerently trashed for what he or she THINKS.  That is strictly a personal consideration for which no one is accountable to others.

King Kong

Quote from: HOGKING on March 07, 2018, 09:08:10 pm

Those results happened over the course of the season. Show me one quote where a current player in the first spring said publicly they didn't like the new staff or scheme.

Ernest Mitchell and Antwan Robinson didn't say it then

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 08, 2018, 11:55:16 am
Let's be real. To most fans he can't say or do anything wrong right now. To the skeptical crowed it could go either way. It just depends on your position.
Sure he could.

He could go to Texas and make disparaging remarks about the state of High school football there.

He could be giving the players cute little rap names.

He could be in the meeting room smelling of Tito's.

He could fart on live TV.

He could be wearing a pullover hoodie in 100 degree heat.

He could be bouncing up and down the halls in flip flops and jamming to Bob Marley.

His wife could be getting into Twitter wars.

He could talk about getting an erection from beating a dismal Texas team.

BUT THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. CCM is the real deal.

King Kong

Quote from: azhog10 on March 08, 2018, 08:26:21 am

Go ahead and post the examples then. Bielema mentioned a conversation once he had with Hatcher and his father during the first spring.

But Hatcher never once said anything publicly negative about the offense or scheme.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 08, 2018, 12:14:55 pm
Sure he could.

He could go to Texas and make disparaging remarks about the state of High school football there.

He could be giving the players cute little rap names.

He could be in the meeting room smelling of Tito's.

He could fart on live TV.

He could be wearing a pullover hoodie in 100 degree heat.

He could be bouncing up and down the halls in flip flops and jamming to Bob Marley.

His wife could be getting into Twitter wars.

He could talk about getting an erection from beating a dismal Texas team.

BUT THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. CMM is the real deal.

He could do all those things and people would be saying he's a straight shooter and a players coach. They would still feel great about the hire and expect big things.

twistitup

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 08, 2018, 12:16:59 pm
He could do all those things and people would be saying he's a straight shooter and a players coach. They would still feel great about the hire and expect big things.

He's a Div1 head coach making big boy money...yes, we expect big things. We also expected big things from the last coach (great record he came in with)- but he was an absolute flop.

We really can't get worse (on the field) than what we have been under CBB - no reason to be negative about the new situation-  a new vibe, new coach, new outlook.

Cheer up Al....or are you always depressing to be around?

twistitup

Quote from: azhog10 on March 08, 2018, 09:14:14 am

Then you have that portion of the fanbase that TRULY believes CCM is loaded w good talent....because CBB was an unbelievable recruiter that just couldn't seem to develop the talent on the roster.

I agree with you, CCM is shooting us straight and trying to be realistic - but many are very impatient, negative, and pessimistic for some reason. I'm assuming they didn't get their way in the coaching hire (or didn't think CBB should have been let go)- they won't be giving Morris any breaks - it will negativity from this point forward with those 'fans'.

I have a feeling this will be an outstanding hire- time will tell

#5yearplan

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: King Kong on March 07, 2018, 05:55:18 pm
Go ahead provide some examples.

I'm pretty sure a lot of players were not happy, and expressed that, when HDN was Fired...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

King Kong

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on March 08, 2018, 01:46:57 pm
I'm pretty sure a lot of players were not happy, and expressed that, when HDN was Fired...

That's different than them saying they didn't like the new staff and the scheme they implemented.

The 2 statements aren't mutually exclusive